[Closed] 1: Otosan Uchi

Starbeard
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prologue: Otosan Uchi

#61 Post by Starbeard »

To summarize:

Everyone now has travel papers of some kind, except for Senichi.

Senichi is currently in a conundrum—being from the Unicorn Clan, he can only accept travel papers from this magistrate by making an Honor Save, since the magistrate is from the Lion Clan. (Sorry Frank, I randomly rolled up his Clan, I swear!)

The magistrate is also offering to accompany you on your journey (or more accurately, accompany Aiko), in the condition that he entertain you at his village along the way.

Kenta has travel papers, but they are revealed to be forged (ooc, at least). Travelling with them is a risk, but also asking for new papers may bring up questions about his old papers, also a risk.

Koga is mulling over whether it would be appropriate to impose his respects on his Doji superior.

It is the 20th day of 'Falling Leaf Month' (October), and you have 25 days until the festival in Beiden Pass. The city you are in is ramping up for the History Festival, its biggest celebration of the year, in three days.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by ffilz »

What are the mechanics of an honor save? It seems even if I decline the papers and try and find some other way to acquire papers (if that's even possible), traveling with the group would still be dealing with a Lion Clan member. Just trying to understand what my real options are here...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#63 Post by GreyWolfVT »

would there be an issue with Osaru accepting the papers for Senchi or would that still force the honor roll for him?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:would there be an issue with Osaru accepting the papers for Senchi or would that still force the honor roll for him?
I think the travel with and visit to the village will be a more significant honor issue than accepting the papers...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko smiles at Assistant Harada's suggestion.

"Oh yes, that would please me greatly!", she exclaims enthusiastically. "Your village sounds most beautiful and, after your wonderful description, I really feel that I must see it. We can go can't we Kago?", she says excitedly to her brother.

"My companions and I are planning on leaving Otosan Uchi in a couple of days, immediately after the History Festival, and I dearly wish to also visit the Star Festival at Kakita Castle as we journey south. If you can spare the time to accompany us that would please me greatly but I would also understand it if your duties do not allow for a longer absence. I would certainly not want to deprive the magistrate of his most valued assistant for more time than is necessary. I suppose, as a compromise, if it were not possible for you to travel with us, we could perhaps arrange to meet at Matsu Castle at the end of the month?"

ooc: Sorry Frank. I don't feel I'm particularly helping your situation but it seemed more in keeping for Aiko to be enthusiastic about Harada's proposal :oops:

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

"Master Osaru," Aiko says at an appropriate moment. "It had quite slipped my mind but I have been meaning to ask something of you. I have long desired to improve my skill at Iaijutsu and have heard mention that you are proficient in this art. I would not want to impose on you but it would please me greatly if you would be willing to give me some tuition while we are travelling. For your trouble I would insist that you take some compensation. I do not have any great wealth but I could pay you a silver. Would such an arrangement be agreeable to you?"

She looks at Osaru hopefully, with a sincere 'Please say yes' look.

;)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#67 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Aiko

"Master Osaru," Aiko says at an appropriate moment. "It had quite slipped my mind but I have been meaning to ask something of you. I have long desired to improve my skill at Iaijutsu and have heard mention that you are proficient in this art. I would not want to impose on you but it would please me greatly if you would be willing to give me some tuition while we are travelling. For your trouble I would insist that you take some compensation. I do not have any great wealth but I could pay you a silver. Would such an arrangement be agreeable to you?"

She looks at Osaru hopefully, with a sincere 'Please say yes' look.

;)
Osaru being friends with Aiko bows his head after saying "Why hadn't you asked me this sooner. It would be my honor to teach you."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

With a glint in her eye, Aiko beams back at Osaru. "That is wonderful! Here is the one silver I promised. As it seems there may be an opportunity for you to spend it well, otherwise I fear I will have come out much the better of our bargain." She bows in return.

ooc: I assume that after the prerequisite number of refusals and insistences the silver will change hands, so I've taken it off my character sheet. Just to check, am I correct that 1 koku = 5 silver? Thanks

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by ffilz »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Aiko

Aiko smiles at Assistant Harada's suggestion.

"Oh yes, that would please me greatly!", she exclaims enthusiastically. "Your village sounds most beautiful and, after your wonderful description, I really feel that I must see it. We can go can't we Kago?", she says excitedly to her brother.

"My companions and I are planning on leaving Otosan Uchi in a couple of days, immediately after the History Festival, and I dearly wish to also visit the Star Festival at Kakita Castle as we journey south. If you can spare the time to accompany us that would please me greatly but I would also understand it if your duties do not allow for a longer absence. I would certainly not want to deprive the magistrate of his most valued assistant for more time than is necessary. I suppose, as a compromise, if it were not possible for you to travel with us, we could perhaps arrange to meet at Matsu Castle at the end of the month?"

ooc: Sorry Frank. I don't feel I'm particularly helping your situation but it seemed more in keeping for Aiko to be enthusiastic about Harada's proposal :oops:
I think Senichi is going to have to politely decline the travel papers and find another way to travel to Beiden Pass. Much as this is a lifetime opportunity, he is not prepared to buck his clan at this stage in his life.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by LtTibbles »

Koga decides to let Doji Obin enjoy her time with her grandchildren rather than impose himself on her, when Aiko asks about Assistant Harada's offer he considers his sister's plea. "Hmm...I suppose it wouldn't be too far out of the way but we'll need to consider our travel plans for the month if we hope to make it to the pass on time."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:What are the mechanics of an honor save? It seems even if I decline the papers and try and find some other way to acquire papers (if that's even possible), traveling with the group would still be dealing with a Lion Clan member. Just trying to understand what my real options are here...
Honor saves (I think they technically call them "Honor Tests" in the rules) are a neat feature of L5R. At any time you feel that your character is being forced to take an action that is dishonorable, either because you failed a roll or things just went wrong, you can opt to make a saving throw: roll dice equal to your Honor Rank, usually against the default TN 15. If you pass, you manage to avoid the dishonorable act and gain an Honor point; if you fail, you lose an entire rank!

For this mandatory test, though, it would be far less severe. It would be an Honor Test vs 15. If you succeed, that represents that Senichi was able to get what he wanted without having to deal with the loss of face; if you fail, then he didn't and you lose 1 honor point.

Captain Kinkajou wrote:ooc: I assume that after the prerequisite number of refusals and insistences the silver will change hands, so I've taken it off my character sheet. Just to check, am I correct that 1 koku = 5 silver? Thanks
Yes, 5 silver bu = 1 gold koku

Koga placidly watches the proceedings, observing the elderly Doji Obin out the corner of his eye. He is surprised at how plain her garments and mannerisms are with her grandchildren, but he still marvels at the grace and poise that still resides those old bones. He averts his eyes when they pick up their playthings and shuffle back into the building.

Aiko slips a silver piece from the string tucked into her belt, and after a predetermined number of refusals and insistences, Osaru the ronin accepts it.

When he sees the exchange between Aiko and Osaru, Assistant Harada and steps in eagerly. "I am noted as something of a swordsman myself. You cannot become a magistrate in the Hub Villages without being a master swordsman, and I studied at the venerable school of Matsu Omio, perfecter of the infamous Tiger's White Teeth technique! Miss Aiko, if we travel together I would be happy to spar with you as well. It would give me good practice as I start teaching at the Magistrate's dojo in the new year." He turns to Osaru and adds with his chest puffed out, "Perhaps we can have a friendly duel together while on the road, to test our skills?"

Senichi goes quiet and hesitant about accepting the papers, but thankfully Assistant Harada doesn't noticed yet, as his flighty attention has now been distracted by his competition with Osaru.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"A friendly dual would be very welcome. For some reason I have a hard time finding sparring partners." Kenta quips as he patiently waits for the transactions to finish.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:
ffilz wrote:What are the mechanics of an honor save? It seems even if I decline the papers and try and find some other way to acquire papers (if that's even possible), traveling with the group would still be dealing with a Lion Clan member. Just trying to understand what my real options are here...
Honor saves (I think they technically call them "Honor Tests" in the rules) are a neat feature of L5R. At any time you feel that your character is being forced to take an action that is dishonorable, either because you failed a roll or things just went wrong, you can opt to make a saving throw: roll dice equal to your Honor Rank, usually against the default TN 15. If you pass, you manage to avoid the dishonorable act and gain an Honor point; if you fail, you lose an entire rank!

For this mandatory test, though, it would be far less severe. It would be an Honor Test vs 15. If you succeed, that represents that Senichi was able to get what he wanted without having to deal with the loss of face; if you fail, then he didn't and you lose 1 honor point.
Ok, I suppose accepting the papers would be ok under that condition. I think actually traveling with the Harada would be a more serious issue, or will that be covered by the same honor save? If that is indeed a separate issue, Senichi will have to find a way to travel separately.

When Harada is done being distracted, Senichi will accept the papers (he will not upgrade them) and will thank Harada. He will then think about how to resolve the travel issue without insulting his clan. He is hoping that his clan will see that it would be dishonorable to refuse the papers after being offered.

Is there any way to add dice to the honor save? Otherwise I'll go ahead and make the roll, 2k2 right?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:Ok, I suppose accepting the papers would be ok under that condition. I think actually traveling with the Harada would be a more serious issue, or will that be covered by the same honor save? If that is indeed a separate issue, Senichi will have to find a way to travel separately.

When Harada is done being distracted, Senichi will accept the papers (he will not upgrade them) and will thank Harada. He will then think about how to resolve the travel issue without insulting his clan. He is hoping that his clan will see that it would be dishonorable to refuse the papers after being offered.

Is there any way to add dice to the honor save? Otherwise I'll go ahead and make the roll, 2k2 right?
Yeah, I think traveling with Harada will be a bigger issue. I would have it be a single TN15 honor save each day (-1 point failing as usual), unless you deliberately choose to travel at a far enough distance from the rest of the party that you are subject to separate encounter rolls.

Go ahead and roll 2k2 for Senichi's Honor Save, vs TN15! Don't forget that 10s explode.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by ffilz »

Honor Save:

[1d10] = 10,[1d10] = 7

Re-rolliing the 10:

[1d10] = 8

Total: 25

I think Senichi finds a way to carefully word his acceptance of the travel papers that elegantly saves him face.

I will accept separate encounter rolls if Harada indeed travels with us and travel separately, and I will certainly not visit his home.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Starbeard »

Nice roll!

Senichi and Assistant Harada become cold and indifferent toward each other as soon as they discover that they are from rival clans. Still, Harada knows that he is honor bound to make good his promise to Senichi, and begrudgingly writes up and stamps his travel papers.

Now that everyone has papers, you arrange to meet with Harada on your way out of the city, whenever that might be. He excuses himself and returns to his duties—giving Aiko one last longing look, and making no secret of sizing up Osaru's confidence as a duelist.

By the time you leave, the morning has been wiled away, and the city streets are now bustling with life.

You all have some options here. You now have the right to travel along the highways to your destination, and can leave whenever you like. You are of course free to spend as much time in the city as you like, doing whatever you like, whether that's gathering resources and rumors or just RPing. A few points of interest:

1. The city's famous History Festival will be happening in three days' time. Just about anything can be bought on sale during the festival, and you have managed to keep your invite to Master Kagewo's evening party at his inn. There is always the chance of meeting and impressing an illustrious person or two at these sorts of events. The festival is known for massive parades during the day, fireworks and lantern lighting at night, plenty of luck charms and blessings to be bought at the shrines and temples, and if you're lucky (or unlucky) you may encounter an ancestral spirit or two in the middle of the night.

2. There are superstitious days which may influence your travel plans (see calendar). Tomorrow is Evening Day, the best day to end things but unlucky for beginning things. Next is Death Day, the most unlucky day of all. Then the Festival happens on Luck Day (a generally very lucky day for events and omens), then Horse Day (noon and traveling on horse are lucky). If you are superstitious and want to wait for the best day of the week, you will have to wait 5 days for Morning Day, the best day for beginning things.

3. Senichi has Way of the Land as an advantage, so he already knows the general information about this region. There have two main highway routes to Beiden Pass, plus a river (see the large map). Note that some of your travel plans may be influenced by personal goals:

Route A
This is the direct route, taking perhaps 10-15 days by foot. It passes through the Doji Plains, in the Crane provinces. The Plains are dotted with farm villages and traveling merchants—but being well traveled and right in the middle of the harvest season, bandits and thieves are a slight problem. Furthermore, some parts of the plains are believed to be haunted.
  • The Road of the First Emperor (Road 5, covered by the map seam), to Kakita Castle (52, Crane)
  • Way of the Faint Echo of Glory (Rd 23), to Crossroads Castle (51, Crane)
  • Way of Righteous Vengeance (Rd 2), to Matsu Castle (67, Lion)
  • Beiden Pass (Rd 27), to your destination
Route B
This is thought to be the safest route, and quite scenic, but it will take longer, perhaps 15-20 days by foot. You might be able to cut the journey down to 12-17 days if you can book travel on a ship down the coast.
  • Skip over to South Hub Village (60)
  • Fragrant Silk Road (Rd 22 down the coast, covered by map seam), to Doji Castle (47, Crane; number covered by map seam)
  • Maiden of Glass Road (Rd 14), to Daidoji Castle (50, Crane)
  • Way of Righteous Vengeance (Rd 2), to Crossroads Castle (51, Crane)
  • Continue on to Matsu Castle (67, Lion)
  • Beiden Pass (Rd 27), to your destination
River Route
There is a river that divides the Crane & Lion lands (it's unnamed on the map, we’ll call it the Golden River). Traveling by the Golden River is probably your quickest option, taking 6-8 days to get to Matsu Castle (67), and 8-11 days total—but you’ll have to find passage on a boat headed down that way, and because it wanders in and out of Lion territory, encounters with the Lion Clan are more likely.

Actions?

登場人物

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rex »

Kenta votes for route A.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by ffilz »

Senichi will take Route A. He would like to depart on Morning Day the 25th of Falling Leaf Month. That will give him 15 days not counting Death Days to make it to the festival. Any who would care to join him are welcome (other than Harada). He will not be taking any side trips unless very good time is being made (the closer to the end of the trip, the more likely he will be to be able to make a side trip or stop for a festival).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Kenta will accompany Senichi.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”