[Closed] 1: Otosan Uchi

Starbeard

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prologue: Otosan Uchi

#22 Post by Starbeard »

Aiko's audacious entrance on the scene immediately arrests everyone's attention. The whole room is silent with tension. The magistrate's geisha frowns and scuttles away, and the magistrate himself stands there with his mouth half open, unsure of how to react to such a rude interruption. His face grows red hot, until his body begins to shake with the shame of being made to look a fool in public.

He clutches at the knife tucked into his sash (swords have been left with the innkeeper at the door) and demands an immediate apology—but Aiko stands her ground and tries to deflect the blame onto the peasant, whom she has already safely shooed out of harm's way.

CONTESTED ROLL TIME! (walkthrough in the spoiler)
This will be a contest of Aiko's Awareness+Sincerity (5k3) vs the magistrate's Honor+Courtier (5k3). Aiko is rolling against the magistrate's Honor x 5 for a TN of 15, and the magistrate is rolling against Aiko's Awareness x 5, also for a TN of 15.

Aiko will get a free raise for her actions, by trying to deflect the blame onto the peasant. However, because of her rude entrance, if she fails she will suffer a loss of Honor, and the Magistrate may attempt to have her publicly shamed for a loss of Glory as well.

With her free raise, Aiko has the upper hand: in a contested roll, even if both sides succeed, the winner is the side with the highest TN, or if that's tied, whoever rolled higher. Aiko's free raise means that if she succeeds, she gets to pretend her TN 15 was actually a TN 20. The magistrate isn't the sharper quill in the inkwell, so we'll give him a basic Intelligence check to see if he recognizes her game and tries to make a raise or two to keep her from outmaneuvering him in the argument: Magistrate's Assistant INT check (2k2, TN 15): [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 6 (He does, but will make 1 raise only, making his TN 20 for the contest)

Magistrate's Assistant: [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 5
Magistrate's Assistant exploding dice: [1d10] = 4
Total: 14 + 8 + 5 = 27

So Aiko rolled 35 vs TN15 + 1 free raise, and the magistrate rolled 27 vs TN 15 + 1 raise.

Both succeeded, and both have the same TN, so we just go by whoever rolled higher. Aiko wins! She has successfully stepped in without causing shame to herself or the magistrate. The magistrate recognizes this and is unwilling to press the issue.
Aiko's clever tactic has paid off, and the magistrate's assistant finds himself shaking uncontrollably out how badly he would like to tell her off, but knowing that any further outbursts on his part will only make him look foolish. He grimaces and throws himself back down onto the floor mat, gulping down his piping hot tea in one go.

He explains to her that his superior, the magistrate for this neighborhood, wanted him to make sure that all of the canal boats had proper licenses before they opened for business this morning—but that stupid peasant claims he couldn't find him last night to deliver the order! The letter seemed rather sternly worded, too.

Meanwhile, back at the table…

While Aiko is busy at the other end of the room with her altercation, the peasant messenger backs away from the scene and trips over himself, knocking over the jar of tea at the party's table. The hot tea spills onto Matsumoto Senichi's lap. The peasant looks around the table in shock at each of you, then turns to flee out the door in embarrassment.

Peasants have a hard life in Rokugan. By law they are considered expendable for any noble, and and a misstep can cost them dearly. When in the presence of a noble they are forbidden from making direct eye contact without invitation (this one just did), and a noble is technically allowed to punish any peasant for any signs of disrespect (this one did not so much as bow or beg for an apology before turning to run away in shame).

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ffilz »

What would an appropriate response be? Clearly this poor man has been flustered by all that went on, on the other hand, he didn't apologize, the spill and even the eye contact could be excused, but not apologizing? I'm not up on all the protocol here... Senichi is inclined to be a forgiving man, but sometimes you need to hold firm.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

appropriate i guess depends on your personal goals too.

Osaru looks at the messenger "Apologize to him for spilling the tea onto his lap." he says softly and kidly at first but if he has to repeat himself his voice will get deeper and more demanding.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta will sit quietly as the others deal with the messenger.

Kenta intends to stay out of this since he is in some ways no higher in station then the peasant.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:What would an appropriate response be? Clearly this poor man has been flustered by all that went on, on the other hand, he didn't apologize, the spill and even the eye contact could be excused, but not apologizing? I'm not up on all the protocol here... Senichi is inclined to be a forgiving man, but sometimes you need to hold firm.
This is what the rulebook has to say about peasants ('heimin'), page 24:
Heimin: Half-People
Heimin, or “half-people,” are the common folk. The highest commoner in the Order is the farmer, for he provides what is most necessary in life: food. Without the farmer, everyone goes hungry. Next is the artisan, for he creates things that people need. The merchant is lowest on the structure since he does not create anything: he only sells what others create. It is quite legal for a samurai to kill heimin if his honor has been compromised by their rudeness. What constitutes “rudeness” is usually up to the samurai who has been offended, so heimin always try to be as humble as possible in the presence of samurai.
In a city like this, pretty much all peasants will be artisans or merchants. This guy would probably fall under 'merchant' class, so lowest of the peasants.

It is up to the player how to handle an unruly peasant, but it will affect the game. If you are always soft on peasants then brash NPCs may see you as weak. If you are always hard on peasants then the NPCs who are responsible for them may come after you.

Here's how I'll rule this, for the sake of us all learning the game and getting used to how 'combats' can have big effects in L5R:
In this case the public insult is minor, but there will be some consequences either way. Right now the witnesses to the scene are 1) the innkeepers Mr and Mrs Kagewo, 2) some geishas, 3) the brash Crab samurai and 4) the humiliated magistrate's assistant. Depending on how the party reacts, the NPCs may have these reactions:
  1. The Kagewos were ronin, who worked hard all their lives to be recognized as proper samurai. If the party does not at least force the peasant to grovel at your feet for a while, then they may lose respect for you and disinvite you from the History Festival party (1-3 on 1D10), or even ask you to stay somewhere else (4-5 on 1D10). If you go overboard and actually get physical, they won't care (as long as you take it out into the street).
  2. The geishas will probably have a poor reaction if you physically harm the peasant (1-4 on 1D10), but either way they will still avoid you for 1-2 days. You will have to pay double to be entertained by any geisha while you eat or drink (that's sort of the Rokugan equivalent of 'listening for rumors' at the tavern), and your chances of learning rumors or getting information will be cut in half.
  3. The brash Crab is rude, macho, uncultured, and already a little drunk. He'll congratulate you and become an ally if you give the peasant a good sound whipping in the street before sending him on his way. Anything less and he may be disgusted at your lack of spine (1-3 on 1D10 if you at least force the peasant to grovel a bit, or automatic for anything less). Being a little drunk, his negative reaction will be random, he might insult your honor and call you weak to your face, and/or he might go after the peasant and teach him a lesson himself.
  4. The magistrate's assistant was nearly humiliated, and he wants deflect that attention to someone else. If you do nothing, that's good and he will be happy to chastize his peasant calmly, make a formal apology to you, and offer his humble assistance any way he can, which will make him look like the bigger man. If you take care of the peasant yourself, he will be upset that you came out looking better than him, and may try to make things difficult for you in town (1-2 on 1D10, or 1-6 on 1D10 i if you physically harm the peasant).

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

Ooh, the joys of complex social situations...

If the magistrates assistant steps in immediately, it feels like all but the drunk Crab will be reasonably satisfied. I'll give pause to see what the magistrate's assistants reaction is, but if he doesn't step in immediately, I will stand up (and see how the reactions are trending - I don't know if there's a skill or roll to read the situation as it develops)
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko listens sympathetically to the glum magistrate's assistant's difficulties and considers thoughtfully before answering. She speaks softly, so as not to be overheard by the other guests. She feels that what she says will be better received if it is just between the two of them.

"Oh dear. I really wish I could be of some help," she says innocently. "If only I knew more of such matters." She pauses for a moment for effect. "This is probably a foolish suggestion but I wonder, could you not turn this setback to your advantage? Perhaps demonstrate your value to the magistrate by dealing with it swiftly despite not having received the message until this late hour? A senseI of mine once told a story of two samurai. One led an uneventful and unchallenged life. He had few problems and lived happily enough. The other was beset by many trials and misfortunes but through overcoming them he earned great glory and renown. I believe the lesson at the time has some relevance to your situation. Though that is merely my own simple interpretation. Of course I do not have your experience of magesterial affairs or the knowledge to be of any real help."

She ends with an innocently hopeful smile, an expression intended to sell her 'I do hope my simple insight has been of some help' angle.

ooc: I'm not sure how this aligns with the events with the peasant at the other table exactly. It could be interrupted by those events or it may deflect the magistrate's assistant's attention or desire to step in. I'm hoping you'll be able to untangle things Starbeard :D

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Starbeard »

Aiko attempts to pull the magistrate aside and turn the situation around, invigorating him with a simple parable. The attempt is successful, and the magistrate's anxiety is redirected into perseverance. "You speak wisely, Dragon. As a noble, I cannot let the failings of my inferiors damage my ability to honour my lord!" He resolutely rolls up the letter and rushes out of the building, taking only a brief glance at unfolding scene with the peasant before putting the whole matter behind him.

At the table…

Kenta and Koga sit quietly and watch the events unfold, with the detachment borne out of their backgrounds.

Osaru the ronin sits at the table and casually sips from his cup, telling the messenger calmly to apologize to Senichi. The peasant does not seem to hear him, and continues to scramble toward the door in fear. Osaru slams his cup on the table with a loud thud, eliciting a startled jump out of the other people in the room. Without looking up he says again, this time raising his voice, "I said apologize to the man, peasant."

Senichi watches the young magistrate's behaviour closely, and when he sees that the magistrate has no intention of stepping in once Osaru has taken the lead, he stands up and looks threateningly at the peasant. The man stops in his tracks and looks at Senichi's feet, understanding now that he must accept whatever punishment is coming to him. He falls to the ground and begs forgiveness at Senichi's feet, tears streaming down his face, tearing his tunic open and beating at his bare breast. He offers Senichi anything in his household, but please spare him his life, as he must provide for his sick father and three children.

The nameless Crab bushi snorts drunkenly in the corner, happy to watch the peasant be humiliated. However, Master Kagewo does not seem very happy at all. It is clear that this little scuffle has brought a bit of shame to his house, and he hopes the party will demonstrate their authority more sternly.

Actions?

Rolls…
Aiko's sincerity roll (TN: Magistrate's Awareness x 5 = 15)
Aiko Sincerity (5k3): [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 4
9+7+4 = 20, success!

The peasant's reaction to the situation will be determined by a die roll. A sincere apology can be elicited from him by:
  • 1-3 giving a simple, non-threatening command
  • 4-6 giving a stern, threatening command
  • 7-9 physically detaining him so that he doesn't run away
  • 10 the peasant is too beside himself and will not apologize, further actions will just cause more distress
Peasant's reaction [1d10] = 4 (being stern/threatening will suffice)

Are the onlookers satisfied with the apology?
Crab bushi reaction [1d10] = 7 (needs 4+) yes
Kagewo reaction (1-3/4-5) [1d10] = 5 They will require a sterner show of authority, otherwise they will ask the party to find somewhere else to stay

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
[/quote]

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ffilz »

Clearly I need to give this poor sod more of a punishment, though I'd like to not piss off the geishas, clearly I can't allow my hosts honor be damaged by allowing uncouth behavior in their establishment. Now that the magistrate has left, I need not worry too much more about his reaction.

Is there a punishment short of whipping or beating that would satisfy the Kagewos? Clearly if a beating or whipping is necessary, then that is what I must do.

Perhaps had the poor sod been quicker to apologize and not looked so much like he hoped to cut and run a tongue lashing might have been enough, but that time has passed.

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru suggests to the peasant "Perhaps offer a small gift of apology to Senichi, or a big gift. Maybe you could pay for the Senichi's meal or get him new clothes." the ronin suggests "I see no reason to offer one of your children or your life it's just tea and can be cleaned but clearly it was an offense."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

As the magistrate's assistant rushes out to deal with his crisis, Aiko stands there for a moment looking pleased with herself. Then she turns back to her companions at their table and inwardly curses. Oh! For goodness sake! This peasant is a disaster! No sooner had she relieved him of a beating at the hands of the magistrate's assistant than he had delivered himself into yet more trouble! It might be better to simply put him out of everyone's misery!

Calm Aiko, she tells herself. She forces a smile back on her face and gently glides back over to their table.

"I find it hard to imagine such a worthless wretch has the means to pay for a meal or new clothes," she observes in response to Osaru's suggestion. "In truth, it is a mystery to me how he has survived his own stupidity and clumsiness for this long. Already he has offended half the people in the room and he has only been here a few moments. I begin to think it would be a mercy to end his worthless existence. Many would surely be grateful. Though I would not want to sully my blade or Master Kagewo's fine establishment. So, what are we to do?"

"Do stop your sniveling," she adds to the peasant.

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru "Well then perhaps he could work for Senichi to pay off the offense." the ronin suggests.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by LtTibbles »

Koga watches the commotion around him quietly with mild interest while enjoying his tea, once talk begins of the peasants fate begins he decides to chime in.

"He has commited a great offense but I see no need of an execution taking place, ten lashes from a cane would suffice I think, if Master Senichi accepts of course."

The dragon's words are calm and impartial as he observes the oafish peasant kneeling on the floor. Punishing Heimin offered no pleasure for him like the Crab bushi obviously enjoyed it would simply be a just recompense for Kagewo and Senichi's honor.

OOC: It's a tough spot for Senichi to be in, if there is another way to handle this it would be nice. But if there is no other way a beating with something blunt is preferable for him than an execution or the lot of us being thrown out.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

OOC: I maybe should have made it more clear I was asking for advice (as someone less than familiar with Samurai culture), I think Senichi has to deliver the punishment to satisfy all.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

I think you are correct, but I am not an expert on the culture either. My monk sort of falls in between the lines, is and isn't a peasant.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

ffilz wrote:OOC: I maybe should have made it more clear I was asking for advice (as someone less than familiar with Samurai culture), I think Senichi has to deliver the punishment to satisfy all.
ooc: :D I was just generating some dialogue because I had no idea either :lol:

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

No worries there! I think that's what this game is about: we're all learning how this game works as we go along. The nice thing about using just the rulebook is that the 'culture' is loose enough that you can interpret it however you like. There's no mountain of splatbooks to consult for every minor cultural consideration.

So basically, we're sort of using the encounters to make up our own Rokugan as we go along. :)

Aiko's and Koga's idle threats of beating and execution are enough to get the heimin to start groveling profoundly. He pulls open his tunic and beats his breast while weeping bitter tears, shouting out apologies and acknowledgements that he does not deserve to live in your presence. He thanks you for being kind and sparing him so that he can continue to provide for his family, and promises anything of his in return. Whether you believe him or not, he puts on a convincing show, which is what counts in Rokugan.

The overly dramatic pleas seem to be enough to satisfy Innmaster Kagewo's honor, but the drunk Crab is still hoping to watch a good sadistic beating.

Senichi, you have a few options: it seems that execution will just cause problems with everyone but the Crab; the heimin has also offered up his youngest son Saburo to be your servant until his coming-of-age in two years. "He is a simpleton but does what he is told, and a strapping young lad he is! At only 14 years of age he can split a log of wood with a single chop of the hatchet!" You realize that the heimin has cleverly offered you his son's service as 'payment' for dishonoring you, but you in actuality you know that the arrangement would be very beneficial for him. His son would no longer be a financial burden on the family, and it would give the boy the golden opportunity to prove himself in service of a samurai. Of course you would not be obligated to pay the boy a wage, but you would be responsible for his health and welfare.

Otherwise, a simple 10 lashes will satisfy all of the NPCs.

Rolls…
Heimin NPC Sincerity Roll (4k2, TN15): [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 4
Total 17, success

登場人物

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by ffilz »

"I will accept your son into my service, we have a journey ahead of us and someone to take care of our steeds and chop wood should we find ourselves camping out would be helpful. I suppose I will have to acquire travel documents for him also, unless you can get up from your sniveling and help me secure travel documents for myself and my good companion Osaru."

I hope taking on a underling is ok with the other players.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”