House Rules & Character Creation Information

GreyWolfVT
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

House Rules & Character Creation Information

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Starting Level: everyone can start at level 2. Anyone joining this now can start at level 3.

Stat Rolls: 4d6 drop the lowest and place where wanted is my preferred method but you are free to use which ever method you prefer.

Hit Points: For 1st level Max HP + Con bonus roll for HP for all levels after the 1st.

Pre-gen Characters: the modules offer pre-generated characters if anyone holds interest in this I will allow it. If you wish to create your own character that is also fine with me.

Initiative Rolls: for combat I like to use group initiatives I will roll this as the DM for monsters/NPCs and the PC party.

Disallowed Classes: Assassin, Paladin, Psionics, Necromancers

Disallowed Alignments: Anything Evil is NOT allowed.

Races: pretty much any race found in the players handbook or the complete guide books can be used however for some of the rarer races that might not get along well with others in the party will need to give the DM a good argument as to why they are different and would get along with others not of their kind.

Class Kits: if anyone wishes to run a class kit that is allowed.

Sources: anything in the complete guidebooks, players options or core source books for AD&D 2nd edition is allowable. If you find something from Dragon magazine or another source you want to use run it by the DM (me) and I"ll consider it.

Weapon-Group Proficiency Currently, If a character has Weapon Proficiency with Dagger/Dlrk, they don't have it with Knife. They certainly doesn't have it with Short Sword, Of course, the DM can always decide that such weapons are related to one another. If they do, then the warrior would suffer a -1 to hit with the unknown weapon instead of the -2. (Per the Player's Handbook) Still. to be proficient in all sorts of blades, from the Player's Handbook and additional blades from this rule-book (Complete Fighter's Handbook). You'd have to spend around 14 weapon proficiency slots, and that's too many. This makes it possible to take weapon proficiencies with whole weapon groups. There are two types of groups: Tight Groups and Broad Groups. (Pages 58-60 in the Complete Fighter's Handbook) This option is for all classes in weapon proficiency.

* Tight Groups: Axes, Bows, Clubbing Weapons, Crossbows, Fencing Blades, Flails, Lances, Long Blades, Medium Blades, Picks, Polearms, Short Blades, Sickles, Slings, Spears, & Whips.

* Broad Groups: Blades, Cleaving/Crushing Weapons, Pole Weapons, & Small Throwing Weapons.

* Non-Groups: Weapons Not Belonging To Any Group: Arquebus, Blowgun, Bola, Chain, Gaff/hook, Lasso, Net, Quarterstaff, Bo slick, Nunchaku, Sai.

Weapon Specialization You cannot specialize in a Weapon Group listed above you have to select a specific weapon to specialize in. (Currently only for Warrior Classes.)

Non-Weapon Proficiency System: As a DM I like using the NWP system so if you wish to as a player you can add a list of NWP your character has and I'll try to put them to good use in game play.

Starting Coin: roll what is listed in the players handbook for your class but add 1 more die type for your class to that roll before the multiplier. This extra die is a bonus for starting at 2nd level. Example: normal starting money roll 5d4 x10 you get to roll 6d4 x 10.

Starting Equipment: Players get one item free to start with.
Clerics get a holy symbol.
Mages get a spellbook.
Rogues get thieves tools.
Fighters get primary weapon.
Rangers get ranged weapon and 12 bolts/quarrels, 12 flight arrows or 20 sling stones (whatever is relevant to the weapon type.)
Other than that if you are dual or multi classed you select the item for relevant classes listed but you get one or the other not both free items. Aside from that everyone gets an outfit (clothing not armor) for free.

Posting Requirements: shooting for at least 2-3 posts per player per week. 2 posts per player preferred more is great. No less than 1 post per week. If you are busy going to be gone for a bit whatever the DM will NPC you please just send a PM or post in OOC that your are going to be away or if something came up unexpectedly that is fine and understandable just please take the time to at least notify the DM.

DM Update Posts: Generally you will find or can ask any player in my other games. I generally try to keep the game moving posting DM Updates 2-3 times a week sometimes only once but regardless I try to keep the game moving. I also send a game group PM so all the players are notified that a post was made by the DM. Please don't take the PMs to be personally they are merely informative to let the group know the game has moved on the DM posted and so forth.

Posting Format: I'd like to ask players to please post in the following manner (if you can) Character name in bold, actions in regular text speech in dialog boxes. Anything in IC that is meant to be OOC use the OOC button or [ ooc ] out of character here [ /ooc ] (minus spaces again. If you don't know how to make something in bold it is the button in full editor that you get from the B button or you can manually type [ b ] [ /b ] (remove the spaces between the [] and the /b or b anything posted between the two ][ will show in bold when you post. Similar is said for dialog there is a button in full editor view that says dialog or you can manually type [ dialog ] what your character says here [ /dialog ] (minus the spaces again between the [] and the word dialog or /dialog.

Example: Character takes his dagger out and begins waving it around like some lunatic "Now don't anyone try anything stupid and hand over your money." the man calls out to all in the tavern. Hey who is with me on this plan? Anyone or are you all leaving the tavern now?
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

Re: House Rules & Character Creation Information

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Character Death: in this game I'm going to use my standard house rule you are not dead at 0 or below HP. You are unconscious at 0 HP and lose 1 HP per round if wounds are not bound or healed by another character. You don't die until you reach -10 HP. If you die you can create a new character and the DM will find a way to incorporate you back into the game where possible.

Spells: Pick what you want no restrictions outside of what INT & WIS indicate (depending upon your class) take the Min spells for your level.

Resting
Short Rest (once per day) regains 1 HP, and possibly able to regain 1 spell. (Resting and recovering for 1 to 4 hours)
Long Rest (Once per day) regains 2 HP, and full spell list (same as resting overnight/day for 8 to 10 hours)
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Tue May 17, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Critical Hits: Natural 20's are a critical hit if you get one roll a 1d100 roll for the critical hit table I use.

Fumbles: Natural 1's in combat are a fumble please roll a 1d100 roll if you get one for the fumbles table I use.

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Projectile Recovery: Arrows, Bolts/Quarrels, & sling stones & bullets. Unless the projectile was set on fire, dipped into acid, or destroyed in some other manner 25% of what you fire is recoverable unless otherwise specified (such as magic ammo descriptions that say they are destroyed once fired) Roll a D12 for recovery of each projectile see chart below.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Crit & Fumble Chart: roll a 1d100 and compare to these charts for your results.
Crit Chart.jpg
Crit Chart.jpg (822.7 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Fumble Chart.jpg
Fumble Chart.jpg (537.19 KiB) Viewed 935 times

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Base Movement Rates by Race (Basic Races from PHB)
Base Movement Rates.png
Base Movement Rates.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Attack Bonuses from DM Screen (Revised Copy)
Attack Adjustments Table.png
Attack Adjustments Table.png (70.25 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Return to “GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures (2e)”