Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

#1 Post by Ludanto »

It somehow seems a bit cooler out this morning as you leave the relative comforts of the little village behind you and head out onto the path back to the forest. The morning is quiet, but not unnaturally so. Birds chirp and the wind rustles the weeds around the path. It's in those weeds that you suddenly notice a disturbance! Like a fish through water, something cuts a path through the tall grasses. You ready yourselves, but as the grass parts, it reveals only a dog, a one-eyed mutt. It stops just out of reach and barks at you frantically before dashing back into the grass. When you don't follow, it returns and repeats the process.

What now?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As much as he likes the old man, Rabon has to admit Allric is a total blatherer. And he smells like a princess, or duchess, or somesuch, truth be told. It isn't long before he regrets asking about the Imperials, and gives silent thanks for a break in the conversation. That mutt sure seems worse fer the wear. Maybe the wolf'd like some dog. Easier'n huntin' fer a mess of hare. He looks to the others for their take on the situation, particularly the elf and Berry, those two seeming more conscientious.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Quoting forward:
Subject: Session 4: Back to Falko
Marullus wrote:Allric looks rejuvenated by his weeklong stay with fellow men of learning, in a proper bed, and with access to a washtub. He pontificates floridly as they head into the forest glad for Rabon's real or feigned interest as Thag and the new elf work out the way ahead. He has little to offer the two rugged wayfarers in their duties, being man of such erudite power and sophistication. "Good to have a new elf, in truth. So wise in the forest ways. Practically charmers with animals and such, you know. Is he really wearing -antlers- though? Hope he doesn't get stuck in the ruins with that... Perhaps it exudes power among his kind... Do we tell him it makes him look a fool outside his own culture?" He plays with his groomed and waxed beard tip, making sure it doesn't get dirty too soon into the adventure. "I loved the imperials. Some trouble with a sea cult, it seems... We will need to keep an eye out for such things. Lovely taste. Proper colognes, exotic beard wax, succulent meals," he sighs contentedly. "... don't think they minded me leaving out early this morning," he paused a moment, then dismissed it. "I am sure they will take care of it."

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:When you don't follow, it returns and repeats the process.
What's the matter there lil' fella? Is someone in danger?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Ludanto »

The mongrel continues to bark and whine at you as it dashes to and fro. It seems to want you to follow it across the field.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:It somehow seems a bit cooler out this morning as you leave the relative comforts of the little village behind you and head out onto the path back to the forest. The morning is quiet, but not unnaturally so. Birds chirp and the wind rustles the weeds around the path. It's in those weeds that you suddenly notice a disturbance! Like a fish through water, something cuts a path through the tall grasses. You ready yourselves, but as the grass parts, it reveals only a dog, a one-eyed mutt. It stops just out of reach and barks at you frantically before dashing back into the grass. When you don't follow, it returns and repeats the process.
"An omen!" declares Allric. "Such a thing is a portent of either great opportunity or calamity," he adds officiously. "...so frequently similar, anyhow."

He turns to the elf for a moment, "Do you speak dog? The languages of beasts?"

As Thag begins conversing with it, Allric seems satisfied. "Shall you check its cause of distress, ranger? Berry, what have the Lord's of Light to opine?"

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

My training has not yet allowed me to converse with the tame beasts, at 5the level I can gain an animal companion, so at that time I assume I can at least semi-communicate with them but it is obvious th' wee beastie is trying to tell us to follow it. Perhaps it could be related to the missing children rumor?

Will it require a test to follow it?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

... describe to live. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon excited his disinterest. I had a dog like that once. Blind in one eye, I mean. Missin' a leg, too, he was. But still smelt better'n this mutt by a long shot. Let's just leave it. We've got treasure to retrieve back in the ruin.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Ludanto »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Will it require a test to follow it?
It might. You won't know until you try.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Clearly th' wee beastie is asking for our help. It might lead us to another clue about the missing children, or at the least some poor waif who has fallen down a well. And Rabon, perhaps th' waif's mother would offer you a reward for saving her child?

Alfred, let's see how yer tracking skill be? You and I will take the lead following th' beastie. Then Allric, and Rabon and Berry in the back.

We set out after the dog, keeping it in sight, hopefully it does not run too fast so Allric has trouble keeping up.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Rabon excited his disinterest
Stupid auto correct. :cry:
Rabon is about to point out that the woodsman is hedging his bets on a plgift from a peasant when Thag and Alfred start after the mutt. He shrugs. Can't wait 'til I get t'say "Told ya so." He adjusts his pack and sets off after his addle-brained companions.

Willing to lend a die if appropriate. Can't imagine how that will be the case though. Scout, maybe.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry had been kinda in a daze since leaving town, having had his first personal brush with the the Lords of Light. Noticing a new member in the party, Berry attempts to walk up to him and introduce himself but then the event with the dog occurs. Hearing what the others are saying, Berry chimes in:

Friends, I feel the blessing of the Lords with me
this day. They tell me that this dog will lead us to someone in need of our help.
Berry seems slightly surprised by his own decisiveness but also begins to follow the dog, allowing the more experienced members to take point on the tracking.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Ludanto »

It takes about half an hour to trudge through the tall grass after the dog. Eventually, it stops, whining softly over something. It appears to be a small body, ragged and caked in dried blood, face-down the the weeds. It moves slightly and issues a diminutive groan as the dog shoves at it with its snout. It could be a halfling, or a child.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry rushes past everyone else and kneels by the child, checking if the wounds are fatal. And gently turning the figure over to get a better look.

Hey, are you ok, don't be afraid, for I am a servant of the lords of light.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Allric stands back, taking the wider view as Berry rushes in. He thoughtfully looks over the area for signs of mysticism or foul play...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ludanto »

Berry rolls the child over. He's dark-haired and skinny. Through dry lips he croaks, "Kimi... Jurin... Wolf... Ash house..." before passing out.

Allric can see the path through the tall grass that marks the child's progress, leading away to the northwest.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Knowledge/map question: Is northwest the direction towards that witch's hut?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Ludanto »

Broadly speaking, everything, the hut, the forest that the hut is in, the ruins and the mountains. All northwest of here.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Berry, can the child be moved? If he can be moved we should take him to the temple in the town, and then follow his trail to rescue his friends.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”