Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 4.5: Under the Ruins

#141 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Didn't Alfred earn one? I thought he had rolled one fewer dice then required.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Didn't Alfred earn one? I thought he had rolled one fewer dice then required.
No, I don't think so. He rolled Scout 2D + 1D Fresh + 2D Help. He rolled all 5 dice.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#143 Post by Ludanto »

Allric opens his mind and his soul to the invisible realm, gently peeling back the...

SCRREAAAAMS AND BLOOOOOD AND FIIIIRE AND BURNING AND FLAMING EYES IN THE DARKNESS AND DEATH WRAPPED IN CHAINS AND HOOKS AND TEARS AND SMOKE AND HATE AND SCREAAAAMS!

After what seems like an eternity, Allric begins to realize that the screaming is his own. He's pinned to the ground by his concerned friends, his heart racing, and he is very AFRAID.

It's also possible that someone (or something) heard all of that screaming.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Marullus »

So is that Success with a Condition (I got Afraid) or Failure with a Twist (something heard us)?

If it is the former, the Supernal Vision still takes effect for a turn (seeing what Detect Magic would reveal) and I get to make the Loremaster test to interpret the harder visions.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#145 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry. Wasn't clear. Success with a condition. You got a good scare. Now you can go look at things supernally.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Marullus »

Cool! :) Can you provide the "what do I see with Detect Magic" answer so that I can then write a more informed Loremaster check?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Ludanto »

This thing lasts for a Turn. What are you looking at?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Marullus »

A turn is not short. It lasts for as much as required for a Loremaster test, and is the same as searching the whole room was in the first place. His focus is on:
He inhales deeply and moves slowly, taking time to double and triple check each aspect of the room. The anvil. Do jewels remain upon it/embedded? The door. The ceiling and floor, now that they are visible.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#149 Post by Ludanto »

The chapel proper fades away into dim grayness, overpowered by the anvil-shaped altar at the back of the room, which pulses with a light that seems to extend upward into infinity. However, the light is unstable, flickering and fluttering like the dying breaths of a terrified animal.

No gemstones remain in the anvil, possibly stolen at some point.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Allric chokes and coughs as he tries to end his screaming, reasserting his will and trying to get composure once more before his companions. His bony hands shake with the effort as he pushes himself up off the floor, imagining the horror or contempt that must be on their faces at such a sign of weakness in him though he cannot see them. His first priority is to visibly reassert himself before his observers.

The pain and fear are not my own. I will allow them to flow over and through me, and when they have gone, I shall mark their path, he thinks, quoting to himself the fourty-second axiom of the Ashen Tower's ascent. He rises, slowly, working to steady his breath and assert his will. He does so, gaining composure to use his new sight but he is unmistakably... less Fresh.

"Rabon, the fitted ruby, if you please," he says, extending his hand in Rabon's general direction. Seeing no other glimmerings in the room, he fixates his attention on the fluxuating light of the anvil. He contemplates what he knows of the flows of energy, examining the point above to which it extends, studying the anvil itself, its markings, the arrangement of the ruby applets on its iron surface, their relationship to the light patterns. Taking the ruby proffered by Rabon, he tests its interactions with the light and based on its proximity to the anvil's settings...

Alfred... what do you make of this?" he asks, explaining the visions aloud. "Berry, if you could be my eyes, please take notes and see if it reveals more of the nature once written..."

Loremaster obstacle? Are there bonus dice for being able to study the ruby in conjunction?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#151 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry for the delay.

Ob 4. +1 bonus die for the ruby.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Loremaster Ob 4.
Skill 3D+1D Ruby +1D Wizards Sight +1D Help from Alfred's Loremaster +1D Help from Berry's Scholar +1D Persona

Loremaster 1/2 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 2
Loremaster 2/2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 6
(Is there benefit from extra successes? If so, I will re-roll those 6s.)
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6
Reroll 6s [1d6] = 1

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#153 Post by Ludanto »

This powerful creation is carved from the living earth, and dedicated to Tarog, a dwarven Lord. When specially crafted rune-gems are inserted, those present are refreshed so that they might continue crafting. This one is badly damaged and defaced, and barely functional.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Marullus »

So... no new information? :|
- How many gems fit into the surface (and thus are missing)?
- Is there any difference between the specially-crafted rune-gems? - Is there additional effect to inserting ALL gems instead of just the one we already did?
- What is the nature of the damaging and defacing, and what powers do we expect are reduced?
- Does the damaging and defacing seem random or intentional? (Do the defacers have knowledge to specifically damage in ways to hinder its effects? Or to generate alternative effects with it like the darkness?)
- What relation does it have to the mystical darkness that was in the room?
- Does the magical study, spell use, and insight provide any other source for the magical darkness?
- Anything else that would serve as a plotpoint or plothook as move forward? :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#155 Post by Ludanto »

There are divots for six gems.
To your understanding, there is no additional effect in placing all of the gems.
The holy symbols on the stone anvil were chipped away at with a chisel or the like. The magic seems to function, but tenuously. It might not work again. It might shut down forever.
The focus of the damage seems to be to defile its religious significance only.
There is no obvious relation to the darkness.
That's it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Marullus »

Thanks!

Allric explains what he has discovered and interpreted. "It is proof, young Berenwald, of good religion among the dwarves... perhaps it can be of use in repairing the history you were erroneously taught." As his eyes fade back from the soulless all-white of his supernal vision to once again have pupils, he blinks to readjust and can't disguise a hint of fear as he glances around furtively at the chapel chambers. "We shall seek the six gems -- or at least, five others -- below with the kobolds as we planned, and also aid the children. I fear, however, that the mysteries of the anvil shed no illumination - don't mind the pun -- on the creation of the mystical darkness which previously so vexed us. Unless it emanated from the extradimensional squid, who just happened to be here, it remains a concern that some supernatural force remains undiscovered."

He rubs his temples as he surpresses a shudder. "But, let us come. We need rest after the long day, and I particularly... have never felt so... drained."

If none object, he leads the group back to the chairs and beds of the Kobold Lounge, avoiding the fallen bricks which previously attempted to split open Thag's head.

That Loremaster test was Turn 3. Moving on the map, safe at camp as we have 2 Checks, initiate camp phase? If so, I can kick off with my instinct.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon edges away from Allric when he starts shouting. He edges farther when his eyes seen to go blank. But he doesn't want their new elf friend to worry so he doesn't say anything. He is relieved when Allric seems to come back to his senses, and even happy when Allric mentions hunting for more gemstones. Yeah. Let's get some rest afore we hunt further. He waits for Thag to check the room for traps.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Marullus »

We have map, so we are good? Plus, I think he already rescouted.

If not, That gets to.
If so, we move to camp, and I'll speed us forward by getting my instinct out of the way...

Elixir: Recover from Afraid - Ob 2 Alchemist
Alchemist [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 2

Allric's palsied hands shake as he tries to work with his herbs, creating a Vapor of Bravery... This time for himself.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#159 Post by Ludanto »

The small room that you've used previously as a campsite has definitely been visited by the kobolds since you left. While there are no traps, you can't help wonder if you've missed something. Those kobolds are sneaky bastards. Allric can almost feel them watching...

With practiced ease, Allric sets up his tiny laboratory and attempts to mix his potion, but with his shaky hands and pounding heart distracting him, something goes wrong. A deafening explosion rocks the small room, leaving everyone's ears ringing. Surely, whatever is here in the monastery heard that.

Unfortunately, you can't tell, because you can barely hear for yourself, and must almost (but not quite) shout to hear one another...

What now?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

With practiced paranoia, Rabon moves to the doorway to peer out.

So... A twist? Or did that end the camping phase? If not, did you make a camp roll I didn't notice?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”