OOC Discussion (Session 4.5)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion (Session 4.5)

#41 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:Bill, I think part of the trouble you're having with using traits against yourself is... This is hard to explain, so:

When you use "Grim Visaged" against yourself, you're not using the opposite. You don't suddenly become cheerful and friendly and patient.

The questions to ask is, "I'm Grim Visaged, a brooding, patient loner. How is that a bad thing in this situation?"
Then how would one ever use a trait against yourself? How can being Grim-visaged be a hinderance when trying to smash a lock, other than it says you are patient, so I tried to imply a sense of urgency.

No more checks for me.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

Striders are not known for their conversational
skills. They’re grim and moody, preferring solitude
or the company of birds or beasts to other people.
But they’re patient and quiet, able to focus on the
task at hand and shut out the rest of the world and
its terrors...for a time.
You can use it against yourself when being Moody and a loner is a detriment. In this case, perhaps you don't work well with others and fail to coordinate correctly.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Ludanto »

Yes. Not working well with others is a great example. Of course, sometimes a trait just doesn't apply.

It's not a big deal here. We can all figure it out in retrospect. I just thought this might help everyone share the imagined space. :)

EDIT: Ah! I see now. OK. So you had the right of it, in that your patience was causing a problem. I think it just fell flat because there wasn't any actual urgency in the situation, so it didn't quite mesh. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I was working on the assumption that Berry thought there might be someone alive down there, and we had to get them out before they suffocated.

So that's our first test, since my Scout was an Instinct.

Who wants to go down first into the interesting scents down there?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh. Thanks Ludanto. I get it now, too.

As to who is first? Rabon will go, but that's a test to the grind. If Thag went in, it wouldn't be a test. Your choice.

Next session, let's switch Rabon to your instinct and either double up (so we can help one another) or have Thag do something else you'd like to see advanced. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Also, the Trait description often includes both how the Trait is a hindrance, and how it is helpful.
Striders are not known for their conversational skills. They’re grim and moody, preferring solitude or the company of birds or beasts to other people. But they’re patient and quiet, able to focus on the task at hand and shut out the rest of the world and its terrors...for a time.
As Marullus and Ludanto mentioned, they don't like working with other sentient creatures. Maybe he cannot properly describe what he wants people to do, maybe he gets irritated easily, or maybe he gets impatient with all their new to chatter about what to do, when, and why.

Hope that's helpful! Also, I like that Marullus pointed out that, just because he is a longer and doesn't want us around at time, doesn't mean he cannot accept help. I was struggling with that concept.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm going to pause and let Buck take this test. A versus test means there is no set Ob. Alfred has:

2D (scout) + 1D (fresh) + 2D (help from Thag and Rabon) = 5D for certain. Or 6D if you also use your Quiet trait and you word it right. Would Ludanto But an extra helping due from Allric (cartographer or lore master)?

Then, if you roll and 6's you can spend a Fate to reroll those.

Good luck!

If Buck doesn't want to roll it, Thag could use a success, so he could take the roll. (Rabon needs 2 fails to advance so he would go it alone and use a Trait against himself.)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Does someone have a copy of the map drawing? Please or repost it in the Maps folder. Thanx

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto,

Now that we're back in the Monestary, can we revisit starting the next Session?

We began Session 4 at this camp site on our list visit. It includ d the entire journey back, discovering the witches house, getting lost and finding our way again, the whole town phase, investigating the burned orphanage, finding our way back to the Monestary, and completing our investigation tasks to uncover all we could about the plotlines before engaging in the next adventure arc.

I know all of that only counted as 6 "adventure phase" turns on the clock and we were aiming for 9 in a Session. It was actually 21 tests, though. On 21 tests, we really used up our Artha. The situation is different enough that we really need new goals.

...just grovelling, please. :) If you consider it, this WOULD be a good point to set new goals in the story - we know all we can and are about to embark on a new and different set of actions.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Ludanto »

Sure. The sessions got all muddy anyway.

(When you break camp.)
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

Cool. :)

End of Session Questions:
BELIEF: - The appearance of power is power itself.
GOAL: - I will study the properties of these extra mushrooms before I give the rest away.
INSTINCT: - Concoct elixirs whenever we camp.
FATE:
Acting on Belief - pounded this with a sledgehammer (perhaps even worth two! Or an Embodiment.)

Working towards Goal - Yes, including skirting potential fun with the witch, insisting on camp before town, and then questioning the town herbalist. (Can't earn both the Fate and the Persona, p.109)

Benefiting from Instinct - The group got two successful recovery potions this session, so that is yes!

PERSONA:
Playing against a belief - n/a if you have acted on a belief

Accomplishing a Goal - Yes, successful study in the camp before town, then also confirmed no additional utility with the herbalist.

MVP - I vote for Thag. He's been the workhorse.
Teamworker - I vote for Allric and Thag.
Embodiment - I vote for Allric and Rabon.

Next Goal:
I will search the lower level for any evidence of what caused the magical darkness which I could not overcome with magical light.
Last edited by Marullus on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

This was a long session so it's tough to remember everything that happened. Sorry if I forgot stuff
BELIEF: Nothing is as important as getting the treasure back to town.
GOAL: I will get this treasure back to town and cash in.
INSTINCT: Always mend gear when camping.
FATE:
Acting on Belief - Yes, by insisting we run from the witch's cottage and head right back to town
Working towards Goal - n/a
Benefiting from Instinct - n/a

PERSONA:
Playing against a belief - n/a if you have acted on a belief
Accomplishing a Goal - getting to Falko with all the treasure
MVP - undecided as of yet.
Teamworker - Bill/Thag for working to coordinate our town time and for recruiting an elf
Embodiment - Allric for wanting to interact with a seemingly-obviously evil witch and repeatedly trying to embiggen himself. Thag for constantly working to keep the group organized and safe.

More Berry and Alfred next session, please!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote:in other news, I am very sorry I've been away for a while, my only excuse is that planning a wedding is hard, not that we are done mind you, and I've come up for air and hopefully wont have too much more distracting me for the rest
Never neglect the wedding planning! :D Good priority!

...wedding planning is our society's way of stress-testing the relationship before certifying it road-worthy. ;)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#54 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I'll have to get my sheet cleanup done either tonight or tomorrow morning, but yeah, we are only having a 6 month engagement so it's a lot of stuff having to get knocked out pretty quick, but I'll do my best to still be here. Thanks for being patient and awesome.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Shouldn't be difficult. Awesome is just who we are. ;) :P

Congratulations on the wedding! It's a rare event to be surrounded by and celebrated by most everyone you care about. My one piece of advice is to get a couple bags together with snacks/water ahead of time, because you'll both forget to eat and drink the day off the wedding, then it isn't so much fun anymore.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by shroomofinsanity »

BELIEF: - The disciples of the Lords can help all people
GOAL: - I will safeguard the religious artifacts until we reach the town.
INSTINCT: - always be friendly and talk to people before fighting breaks out.

FATE:
Acting on Belief - Berry tried to help people or at least the idea of people, and even gave the dead orphanage caretaker a proper burial.
Working towards Goal - n/a
Benefiting from Instinct - n/a

PERSONA:
Playing against a belief - n/a
Accomplishing a Goal - We got to Falko with the religious artifacts
MVP - I will put forth Rabon for getting our sorry asses back to town, which was the initial point of everything.
Teamworker -I will agree on Thag for tracking us down some new blood.
Embodiment - I will say that Allric consistently plays to his character's strengths and weaknesses, and is willing to endanger himself and all of us for his quest for knowledge. This seems to be in the spirit of things around these parts.

In other news, I so plan on being more involved, my interest has not waned, it is just life is crunching down. I will be here as much as possible and I am very excited to see where we end up next. We have some kobolds to deal with, and I can't wait to try and communicate with them.

completely unrelated, before camp is down, I have the miracle to make us food, so is anyone hungry or thirsty?
Last edited by shroomofinsanity on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I believe it was Rabon that successfully got us back to Falco. Just saying. :P

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I'll concur to that then, consider the post edited. :)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

BELIEF: - I am the last defense of mankind against the minions of Darkness.
GOAL: - I will find and rescue the missing children.
INSTINCT: - Always scout ahead

FATE:
Acting on Belief - Possibly, I was the one that went first into the cellar
Working towards Goal - Yes, I led the search of the cellar, and helped with following the track back to the monastary
Benefiting from Instinct - Probably not, I think I failed both my Scout tests

PERSONA:
Playing against a belief - n/a
Accomplishing a Goal - n/a
MVP - hard to say, I don't think we accomplished much this session, although was it my character who found the lead about the witch's hut, and suggested we follow the lost dog to the orphanage?
Teamworker -Rabon or Allric
Embodiment - Rabon or Allric, both seem to be playing their characters believably

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

I think that's all our votes. Ludanto?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”