Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

003 - Misjump

#1 Post by ffilz »

Jumping to Shedezar:

Hijacking - 3D = 7, no
Contaminated fuel - 2D+1 = 5, no
Misjump - 2D+3 = 15, here we go...

As the jump envelope forms, Andy notices the indicators on the jump drive console going all wild, he is treated to an entrancing light show.

On emergence, you are not sure where you are. You are not in proximity of a world, there is a dim glow of a yellow star, you must be many AU out from whatever star you have arrived at.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 003 - Misjump

#2 Post by ffilz »

I should note you are darned lucky... A misjump from Fogbound isn't the most dangerous in the Wine Dark Rift, but close. The die rolls that can result in arriving at a world:

(1,5) Onhir
(1,6) Magaven
(2,5) Tallulah
(2,6) Redflood
(3,1) Bistron
(3,3) Cheapside
(3,4) Bastinadi
(4,1) Shedezar
(4,3) Tristor
(5,4) Carnage
(6,1) Tegel
(6,4) Karn

(4,4), (4,5), (4,6), (5,5), (5,6), (6,5), (6,6) All go off map... They may or may not be safe... You may or may not still be on the map...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:Jumping to Shedezar:

Hijacking - 3D = 7, no

As the jump envelope forms, Andy notices the indicators on the jump drive console going all wild, he is treated to an entrancing light show.

On emergence, you are not sure where you are. You are not in proximity of a world, there is a dim glow of a yellow star, you must be many AU out from whatever star you have arrived at.
How many days were we in jump space?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:

Hijacking - 3D = 7, no

How many days were we in jump space?
Still about a week... (looks like the 1d6 weeks was added in 1981). And hmm, I guess I've already modified the procedure a bit. It's supposed to be (1D)D distance... I'm just doing 1D distance, which seems plenty. (1D)D distance would leave a significant chance of going off the map.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:Still about a week... (looks like the 1d6 weeks was added in 1981). And hmm, I guess I've already modified the procedure a bit. It's supposed to be (1D)D distance... I'm just doing 1D distance, which seems plenty. (1D)D distance would leave a significant chance of going off the map.
So, we have a week to prepare ourselves for emergence with a misjump, and an opportunity to conserve resources while in jump space...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:Still about a week... (looks like the 1d6 weeks was added in 1981). And hmm, I guess I've already modified the procedure a bit. It's supposed to be (1D)D distance... I'm just doing 1D distance, which seems plenty. (1D)D distance would leave a significant chance of going off the map.
So, we have a week to prepare ourselves for emergence with a misjump, and an opportunity to conserve resources while in jump space...
Yep. Hey, good thing you took on that extra luxury food...

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Ramona »

TGM - We know as soon as the envelope forms we’re kinda fooked correct?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:TGM - We know as soon as the envelope forms we’re kinda fooked correct?
Yes. The instruments went crazy.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Ramona »

Once the news is broken Ana shakes her head and smirks, “This is why I usually travel in a freezer, so much less stressful.”

The tall muscular woamn puts on a fresh pot of coffee, “So, hows this work? We have any idea where we’re going or at least how far this could throw us?” She pushes a couple buttons an the wall display and calls up the local map.

TGM - Do we just draw a circle on the starchart and say, anything inside this ring or is it more like a target, the further out from the middle the lower the probability? Also the “non Imperial space” anyone violently anti Imperial?

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Ramona »

I drew a quick lin aroind all the system names you mentioned.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amkb3JYKBlH1kj7Dcdp2l-fsasBT

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Once the news is broken Ana shakes her head and smirks, “This is why I usually travel in a freezer, so much less stressful.”

The tall muscular woamn puts on a fresh pot of coffee, “So, hows this work? We have any idea where we’re going or at least how far this could throw us?” She pushes a couple buttons an the wall display and calls up the local map.

TGM - Do we just draw a circle on the starchart and say, anything inside this ring or is it more like a target, the further out from the middle the lower the probability? Also the “non Imperial space” anyone violently anti Imperial?
"I will work up a report on our consumables," Vee says quietly. She sets about the task of determining how long their food, water and other consumables can be expected to last at minimum usage levels. This was better for her than contemplating where they would emerge from jumpspace.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Eris »

OOC: Sorry I've been absent the last few days. It appears I missed something...

Hijacking - 3D = 7, no

"Damn it!" Andy shouts and quickly goes into Enginnering mode (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 7+2 = 9), trying to mitigate damage to the engines and power plant.

While he is doing this he comms to Wen, "Big problem back here Captain. I'm doing what I can to keep the power plant and drives from tearing themselves apart."
During the time in jump space Andy is going over the power plant and the drives looking for any damage and making repairs where he can. (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 7+2 = 9)

Upon emergence he'll start checking the M Drives ASAP. Wen can deal with where the ship needs to go, Andy's job is to see to it the ship can get there...
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Eris »

Hijacking - 3D = 7, no

On the bridge, Wen quietly curses then starts checking the jump bubble to see how secure it is. Once the ship seems to be safely in J Space and everything appears stable he sighs and triggers the General Channel of the ship's intercom.

"This is Captain Rodriquez. We have had a bad entry into Jump Space. Everything appears to be fine with the ship and the bubble around us, but we aren't going to know if there were other problems until we emerge in about 7 days. The crew is going to be very busy checking and double checking all the ship's systems and we are going to institute power and consumable rationing immediately, just to be on the safe side. I am asking for passengers to remain calm and bear with us."

Wen then switches to the crew only channel, "Wen here, report damage on Channel, um, D and we'll log it. Crew meeting in 30 minutes."

At the meeting Wen goes over any reported damage and instructs Andy to delegate as needed to get all systems checked and double checked and repaired if need be. He tells Vee to start Life Support rationing ASAP.

"We'll hope for an emergence at Shedezar, but prepare for the worst. That means stretching power, air, food and water out for as long as possible. Don't want to spook the passengers, but you know the procedure. right?"

"Ana and Mark, passengers are going to be antsy at best, irrational at worse, so heightened security and attention to them is going to be required. I'm sure you can handle that, right?"

Wen makes it a top priority to socialize with the passengers over the next week. He'll keep a 'stiff upper lip' and be reassuring that 'things will work out' to everyone.
"Okay!" Wen nods, "We made it out and not in the middle of the 'big empty!' Let's start looking for radio noise from around that yellow star. We need to get the location of this system's main world. If you find a source of radio chatter get ranging data and plot a course for that location. Oh, and I'll run a spec on the star to see if we can id the system from its stellar data."

OOC: Pilot and Navigator would be doing the above. While Wen gets stellar data and compares it to the data in the library, but not before announcing what's happened to the passengers.

"No transponder yet. I'd like to see if we can find out where we are before announcing we're out here."

Wen then turns to the General Channel on the intercom and announces, "This is your Captain again. We're back in normal space, but not where we were expecting to be. There is a yellow star nearby that we are identifying now. I will let you know more when I have more information for you."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Ramona »

TGM - How many passengers do we have aboard currently?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:At the meeting Wen goes over any reported damage and instructs Andy to delegate as needed to get all systems checked and double checked and repaired if need be. He tells Vee to start Life Support rationing ASAP. "We'll hope for an emergence at Shedezar, but prepare for the worst. That means stretching power, air, food and water out for as long as possible. Don't want to spook the passengers, but you know the procedure. right?"
"Yes, Captain," Vee says with a firm nod.
Eris wrote:Wen then turns to the General Channel on the intercom and announces, "This is your Captain again. We're back in normal space, but not where we were expecting to be. There is a yellow star nearby that we are identifying now. I will let you know more when I have more information for you."
Vee stays with the passengers, ensuring that everyone keeps calm, and identifies anyone who might be disruptive.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Wen collects the stellar data and it actually looks like a match for Shedezar! Apparently luck was with you. Then searching for planets, he quickly locates the gas giant and soon Shedezar itself. He runs some numbers and determines it will take about 6 days to reach Shedezar.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I will only ask for rolls when failure is actually meaningful or it helps to know how long. In this case for example, it really wasn't going to take much time given knowledge of the system to figure out where you were, so no need for a Navigation roll.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:Wen collects the stellar data and it actually looks like a match for Shedezar! Apparently luck was with you. Then searching for planets, he quickly locates the gas giant and soon Shedezar itself. He runs some numbers and determines it will take about 6 days to reach Shedezar.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I will only ask for rolls when failure is actually meaningful or it helps to know how long. In this case for example, it really wasn't going to take much time given knowledge of the system to figure out where you were, so no need for a Navigation roll.
Wen lets out a relieved sigh,"Shedezar! We're just a week out from the main world. Not great, but not nearly as bad it could be."

Wen quickly plots a course to the main world and turns to Simon, "Here you go. I make it a bit over 6 days to get there. Simon, take over up here while I check in with Andy and break the news to the passengers."

Wen comms Engineering, "Andy, we're in the Shedezar system, just 6 days out from the main world. So it's a lot better than it could have been. Please, tell me the power plant and the drives are in good shape to get us in...no bad news there, right?"

If Andy confirms that the drives are working...

Wen switches the comm to the general channel and says,"Captain Rodriguez here with some news. The good news is that we are in the Shedezar system. The bad news is that we're further out from the main world than we intended. It is going to take us another 6 days to land you on Shedezar. I hope you enjoy the extra few days we're together. Rodriquez out."

If Andy has found problems and reports them, Wen will just say the ship is in outskirts of the Shedezar system and the crew is still working out an ETA for arrival.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:Wen collects the stellar data and it actually looks like a match for Shedezar! Apparently luck was with you. Then searching for planets, he quickly locates the gas giant and soon Shedezar itself. He runs some numbers and determines it will take about 6 days to reach Shedezar.
A misjump is the worst nightmare a starship crew faces. You can end up far from any hope of rescue, or even from being able to communicate your plight, all while you slowly run out of food, water, fuel, heat and air. Even if you end up within the bounds of a star system, it could take months to reach a planet to refuel, since few starships carry sufficient fuel for a second jump. The news that they can all get home is a huge relief from the specter of a slow death.

Vee sits down to collect herself, hiding her tears of relief from everyone. She had slept poorly the entire week, contemplating what they may find at the end of the jump.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Ramona »

Ana carries on like nothing untoward has happened though inwardly she’s relieved to not have accidentally ended up somewhere difficult.

She looks at Wen and smiles, “We should probably get that drive looked at, I mean not that I’d have minded subduing some passengers if push came to shove, I’d just like to have some measure of assuredness when it comes to driving from A to B.”

“Although I have gone to drive from Wyranga to Roanoke and wound up in York once, there was a lot of alcohol involved and a very stuborn horse.”

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Eris »

Ramona wrote:Ana carries on like nothing untoward has happened though inwardly she’s relieved to not have accidentally ended up somewhere difficult.

She looks at Wen and smiles, “We should probably get that drive looked at, I mean not that I’d have minded subduing some passengers if push came to shove, I’d just like to have some measure of assuredness when it comes to driving from A to B.”

“Although I have gone to drive from Wyranga to Roanoke and wound up in York once, there was a lot of alcohol involved and a very stuborn horse.”
Andy chips in, "Yeah, I want to break the jump drive down and examine it for damage before we use it again. I'll also flush the tanks, but I'm not sure how much good that'll do if we can't get hold of refined hydrogen fuel. I'm guessing most of the problem was the unrefined fuel we had to use, but out here that's just about all we're going to get. I wish we had a way of refining the fuel we get..."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”