Beachtown Constable Glansandi Storeyja

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Beachtown Constable Glansandi Storeyja

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru has recently appointed Glansandi Storeyja as the newest Town Constable of Beachtown. He will be in charge of developing and organizing the security (or lack thereof) around town form now on. This will include things like the hiring and training of any guards, building and maintenance of any necessary defensive structures, and dealing with any dangerous occurrences that might threaten the safety of the town.

One local townsperson has already been hired on as the first "official" town guard. Jombo is a 20ish year old human male with no official training or experience, but plenty of heart and determination. He is as green as can be, but desperately wants to make the town safer for all of the folks here that call this place their home. He (and any others willing to join) will train (for meager pay) as a fighter, taught by the Constable. Any paid guard will be required to fight at the Constable's side if any problems suddenly arise in town.

Mr. Nehru gives the pair their very own private shack to use as a temporary barracks. It is the one closest to the Hi-Lo and the door to it actually faces that building. The shack is empty right now except for two hanging hammocks, but the Constable is given the authority to change and improve their temporary abode whatever way the elf sees fit.

Any security issues or similar questions around town can now be handled in this thread. I will award Glansandi 250 initial XP for stepping up to the plate to take on this daunting and possibly deadly task. Congratulations and thanks Xyxax! :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Beachtown Constable Glansandi Storeyja

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru has already discussed 2 concerns regarding safety with the new Constable.

The first was the sudden influx of unfriendly dwarves that have been coming to the island recently. (which Nehru seems to know almost nothing about)

The second concern is about some threats that have been made about the future safety of Beachtown and the zombies that have been causing trouble periodically. (he seems to know more about this than he is letting on)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mr. Nehru also pays Glansandi the 4 gold coins he and Jombo will have coming in the next week, possibly as a signing incentive.

"I will pay you for this first week right now, but after that, you will be paid after each week of work that you put in."

"I want to personally thank both of you for taking on this job. It warms my soul to know that there are others here who care about the safety and well being of this community as much as I do. Once you are settled into your new home, I will take you around and introduce you to as many folks as I can. I think you will feel right at home here soon enough, master elf......I mean Constable."

He smiles sincerely.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

Glansandi concluded his conversation with Mr. Nehru in the Hi-Lo thread.

Glansandi's first destination is the shack that Nehru allocated as temporary guard quarters, right near the Hi-Lo. As he heads there, he speaks with Jombo.

"I want to make this clear," Glansandi says, reaching into his pouch and producing a gold coin. "So there are no misunderstandings. You agreed to serve as my henchman, so here is my week's pay to you. This coin," he says, producing another, "is from Beachtown. As such, I formally release you from my service and offer you a position as a member of the guard. Your salary from here on will be paid by the town -- Mr. Nehru will be handling that. One gold per week, the same arrangement that you had with me. But it's your choice to accept or not. I hope you will, because I could certainly use the help."

When they reach the shack, Glansandi will claim a hammock and stow some of his gear, inviting Jombo to do the same. While Mr. Nehru did promise to take Glansandi around to introduce him, the man does seem rather busy. So Glansandi will take it upon himself to start walking among the citizens of Beachtown, introducing himself to those who seem interested in his presence, and keeping an eye out for potential recruits. He'll also inspect the outskirts of the town, contemplating where and how he might eventually set up some sort of defensive perimeter.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jombo is thrilled when given not one, but two gold coins. He stares at them longingly before responding.

"Wow! Thanks! This is the third most money I have ever held at one time. And don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. You asked me to help you, and that's just what I will do. This new job sounds like it might even be better than your first offer. It should be safer than wandering around in the jungle, anyway." Thank you for believing in me......um......boss?"

The shack is only a few feet away from the Hi-Lo, and it is indeed empty when the pair arrives. They stake their claims on the hammocks and floor space in the small 10 x 10 foot shack, making their temporary abode as comfortable as possible with their meager belongings. Jombo's prized possession is clearly his lute, which he carefully places amongst his other gear. "This was my grandpapa's. He's dead now."

Once settled in, the pair decides to check out the town while Nehru finishes up with the others. They walk around saying hello to the many confused onlookers they pass. Jombo simply beams when he is introduced as a town guard, this being his first official title he has ever held. He is very cordial with the townsfolk as the pair wanders about, knowing most of them personally. They take note of a few landmarks around the area. The Treehouse, Quarks rarely used leaning stone tower on the beach, the fishermen by their tiny boats, the long bamboo floating dock, the smoking fire pit, the loggers trail, the rows of private shacks, and the much larger common houses all make up the majority of the town. Jombo points out any details about these places as the pair does their inaugural patrol.

Newly cleared farming fields make up most of the perimeter around the place, but none of the fields seem to be thriving with much of a crop. There are people working the fields and doing other duties around town, but Glansandi notices that there are very few young, able bodied men around that he would consider a possible recruit. Most of the town is made up of older men, women of all ages, and several children. They do spot one building, a log home, on the outskirts of the town. It is tucked neatly into a small clearing amongst the trees and it looks to be the newest construction of all the other buildings they have seen.

Maps are here: viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6346

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

"Curious," Glansandi says as he eyes the log cabin. "Perhaps the owner would be willing to aid us in the construction of town defenses, or at least advise us. Let's introduce ourselves."

Leading Jombo, Glansandi heads for the log home. Assuming he reaches the door without incident, he intends to rap his knuckles sharply a few times and announce himself as the town constable. He'll keep an eye out for sights -- and smells -- that might indicate occupancy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After a moment, the door of the log home opens. A tiny male half-elf dressed in robes greets the pair of strangers on his stoop with a confused smile.

"Constable you say? Well, that's a new one. I am Raythan Crechan, humble servant of Celestian. How can I help you gentleman?"

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

"My apologies for the disturbance," Glansandi says. "We were merely looking to make an introduction. Mr. Nehru has seen fit to authorize us to act on the town's behalf, seeing to its safety and defenses. To that end, I was curious about the construction of your home. We are intending to eventually build some fortifications -- watch towers, and the like. If you or someone you could suggest would be willing to aid such an endeavor, Beachtown would be in your debt. Otherwise, we'll be on our way."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan smiles at the idea.

"You are concerned with the safety of the town? Well, that is some good news for a change. I knew that Nehru had good intentions, despite his many other shortcomings."

He steps away from the door, allowing the pair to enter his humble home if they like.

"I cant take full credit for this place. I had a lot of help form my friend Owen, and a few others. He is actually pretty good with his hands and knows quite a bit about construction."

"Would the two of you be interested in a bit of breakfast while we talk?"

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

Shaking his head slightly, Glansandi holds up one hand. "Thank you for the offer, but we're on duty," he says, his eyes flickering ever so briefly toward Jombo. "Making our rounds and surveying the area. But if you could tell us where Owen could be found, we would be very grateful."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan smiles at the professionalism of Glansandi. "Of course, of course."

"If you're looking for Owen......"
The half-elf's eyes look straight up and he points to the treetops. "He would be up there, somewhere. He and the phanaton cheiften have become fast friends over the last few weeks. So much so that he spends most of his time up there now, helping them with their building techniques while he in turn learns everything he can about the elusive treefolk. If I didn't know any better, I would say that master Owen has a bit of druid in him. He really seems to enjoy their company for some reason."

"So, do you guys have names? Or is it just Constable 1 and Constable 2?"

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

"Glansandi Storeyja," the elf replies, nodding slightly. "Jombo serves as a town guard under my direction. One of our goals is to increase our numbers. If you know of anyone who's interested in such work, please send them our way. Our goal is to have a trained and ready fighting force in case of any trouble."

Only then does Glansandi glance upward. "Phanatons, you say? Are these the monkoons I've heard others speak of?" he asks, frowns slightly. "I must admit that knowing such a force exists here, invisible to us, concerns me. But it sounds as though we've struck some sort of accord with their people, if we have befriended their chieftain so."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan nods back.

"Yes, Jombo. I know of you. You have been here from the start, yes? I have seen you around town before. Well met young sir, and.......thank you for your service!" He says this respectfully.

Following the elf's eyes up to the treetops, Raythan listens to his concerns.

"As you've surly already noticed, there are a lot of.........simple...folk here. The tree dwellers look like a raccoon, with the mannerisms of a monkey. Mon - Coon. I prefer phanaton, or treefolk, though I don't really believe they give a hoot what we ground walkers refer to them as. Their name, not mine."

"Your concerns are valid, friend Glansandi. For there are far more of them up there than you think. Many hundreds in fact. Possibly thousands. I've been up there a few times now myself. With numbers like that, our little town would be no match if they ever found cause to engage us."

"There are some good, strong people here that would serve your force well, though I don't know that guard patrol would necessarily be their cup of tea, no offense. These men are brave warriors, that took down an unbelievable monster. Right over there, on the beach. I was there, I saw it with my very own eyes. This thing was huge! Twice as tall as most of us there. It made that half-ogre Monocar look like a shireling.
Raythan stares off into nothing for a long while before continuing. "That thing bit a friend of ours nearly in half, a few feet away from me. It was the most hor......" He pauses for a while again. "And they killed it! It was...... Im sorry. I didn't mean to ramble. That day still haunts me. What were you asking me?"

It is clear that the encounter with the Scrag has traumatized Raythan a bit when he looks around outside the door nervously before taking a few steps back into his sturdy home again.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

Glansandi has learned in his training of the trauma that sometimes comes with battle, and the effect it can have on the mind. Some bend from the strain; others break. He feels compassion for this cleric, but doesn't think there is anything he can do to offer comfort. Instead, he seeks to change the subject.

"Owen. The next time you happen upon him, please ask him to look for me. I'd like his help in building defenses for the town," Glansandi says, watching the fellow's reaction carefully. "Watch towers, perhaps some strategically placed barriers. That sort of thing. Thank you for your time."

Presuming Raythan is done conversing, Glansandi will lead Jombo away back toward town.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The nervous half-elf tries to maintain his composure as best he can.

"I will tell him to seek you out Constable! You two can call on me for assistance anytime, of course. Good day to you both!"

As the door closes, you hear one final bit of rambling about teeth the size of shortswords or some such.

The rest of the town seems peaceful enough at the moment, though that can change at the drop of a hat around here.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja

"We might want to keep an eye on that one," Glansandi says to Jombo, once the pair are out of earshot. "He may not be quite right in the head. We don't want him creating a panic, especially during a crisis." He purposely slows his pace a bit, to give him some time to speak with his recruit.

"I didn't accept his offer," Glansandi says, "since we were on patrol, and that house was rather far from town proper. But also, it's probably not wise to show favoritism. We represent the town, and as such, should try to remain objective." He thows Jombo a meaningful glance. "And that principle applies even when we're not on duty. That means staying out of trouble, at the very least."

"And speaking of trouble, I suspect if we're to encounter any, it's more likely than not to come from there," he says, gesturing toward the Treehouse. "So I think it's high time we introduced ourselves to the tavern's keeper -- Randall, is it? -- and get ourselves a square meal. You'll need it for the workout that I intend to give you afterward."

Glansandi leads Jombo over to the Treehouse and heads inside.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jombo nods his head at everything his superior has to say. "You don't need to worry about me, boss. I don't go out looking for trouble. And I am no stranger to hard work, either. People out here who didn't want to work, didn't make it too long."

As they approach the Treehouse Tavern, Jombo speaks up again. "The guy that runs this place is a native, I think. He talks pretty weird anyway, wherever he is from. Nice guy though, as far as I could tell. I never hung out up there much. The ol' loggers used to go up there a lot and I always tried to keep my distance from those creeps."

Climbing up the ladder to get inside, the duo sees a few people already there. The small elf girl that Glansandi met earlier is there, speaking with the rough looking half-elf druid introduced to him earlier. There are two others there as well. Neither of the towns guards have seen either of them before.

Randall smiles as you enter.

"Yesa! Yesa! Wha can mi do fi ya gents! Jinks? Eats? Ow bout boat?"

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Xaxyx »

As other characters are present (and already taking actions), I've taken the liberty of migrating this conversation over to the Treehouse/Tavern thread.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Perfect!

I will leave this here as a reference then. :D

viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6325&view=unread#p363223

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Xaxyx »

Glansandi Storeyja
Greff wrote:"What's next on the agenda Constable?"
"Weapons practice," Glansandi says, as he leads the two men northeast, zig-zagging between the shacks. "Mr. Nehru has seen fit to allocate to us some sleeping quarters near the Hi-Lo. I think perhaps we'll also lay claim to the grounds nearby, and set ourselves up a training area."

Once they arrive at the guard shack, Glansandi shows Greff where he can stow his extra gear. Then, moving just north to the empty area behind the Hi-Lo, he looks about for a few scattered pieces of driftwood, unused boards or fallen tree branches -- anything that can be used as makeshift weapons. He hands what he judges to be the sturdiest of these implements to Jombo; Greff, however, he leaves to choose for himself.

"Later on, we'll set up some training dummies, and perhaps some straw targets for bow practice," Glansandi says, jutting his chin toward Greff. "But for now, let's review some basic footwork and strikes." He looks Greff over. "You've the air of a man who's trained for combat, as well as me in any event. I suspect I may be bit stronger and faster than you, but I'm sure you've got some tricks up your sleeve to show Jombo here. And it never hurts to stay in practice. Water wheels rust when the rivers don't flow." He doubts the humans have heard the elven expression, but he's reasonably sure they'll understand its meaning.

Return to “Big Shiny Island (1E Sandbox, with real sand)”