IC I

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

IC I

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

Yarthmont 1, AC 1000
Threshold

The first day of the last month of spring is a new moon. The adventurers have been in Threshold for a month at least, drawn by the promise of adventure, of riches, and of glory. Two days prior they received a summons from Seneschal Flavia, the right hand of Baron Halaran, the ruler of Threshold, and met with her in her office in town.

The party was told that they were one of three parties the Baron has decided to grant a Ducal Charter to. "The Duke has been urging his Barons to explore and map the land surrounding their domains," she said, "and this Charter will aid you in that. Present it to any of the Duke's nobles, or any military outpost, and you will be granted what aid and succor they can provide. It is our goal to explore and tame the rich wilderness that surrounds us." Flavia handed the adventurers a map*. "This was made by order of the Duke. As you can see, it has been divided into a number of 'hexes', each on approximately eight miles from face to face. It is the Baron's desire that the land surrounding Threshold be explored and mapped, and any threats either dealt with by you or brought to the Baron's attention. Secondary goals are as follows:"

She listed several goals, to whit:

1. Of primary importance is finding a pass through the mountains north so that we may construct a road into Darokin. Right now all mercantile travel is by way of the Duke's Road, and the Baron would like some of that trade to flow south, through Threshold. "We are much close to Darokin than Penhaligon is," she said, "but they get the lion's share of the trade through there. The Baron has offered a reward of 1000 gold royals to whomever can find such a route."

2. Of secondary importance would be finding potential routes south and east through the hills to both Highforge, the gnomish enclave, and Penhaligon. Such a route is worth five hundred royals.

3. The final item is of great personal importance to the Baron. His niece, the popular cleric Aleena, was slain several months prior by a wizard named Bargle. A group of adventurers tracked Bargle to the ruined Keep at the edge of Lake Windrush (see the Maps thread, subhex 23.21) and cleared the ruins, only to have Bargle escape at the last minute. He was last seen fleeing west, into the mountains. The Baron has placed a reward of ten thousand royals and a knighthood to anyone who can bring him Bargle, dead or alive.

She then handed the adventurers the map and Charter. "You are free to accomplish this however you would like," the adventurers are told, "and in whatever fashion, although I would recommend that you not linger. There are two other groups of adventurers who seek the same goals!"
Player's Starting Map 3.19.18.png
Player's Starting Map 3.19.18.png (858.39 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
In the time since meeting with Seneschal Flavia the adventurers have also heard the following rumors:

1. A great beast stalks the logging camps to the north of Threshold, that line the banks of Lake Windrush. No one is quite sure what manner of beast it is, as the few tracks it leaves behind are strange and unnatural. It is a man-eater, though, and has already claimed the lives of eight loggers. The owner of the largest camp has offered a magical blade as a reward for slaying the beast.

2. Arcane magic is not allowed in Threshold, and so the few powerful mages that dwell in the area have erected towers nearby. One of them, Namar One-eye, has offered a bounty on strange and unusual creatures, brought to him dead or alive. No one knows what he intends to do with them.

3. A local merchant has a letter he needs delivered to Penhaligon within a fortnight, and no caravan is slated to travel there within that time frame. He's offering a sum of 100 gold royals to any who can deliver it in time.

4. The annual Gnomish Caravan is scheduled to depart Highforge in on Yarthmont 7, headed south for Specularum. The gnomes always hire on Men as guards for the journey south. The adventurers would have to travel to Highforge quickly, but they should be able to reach it in time should they decide to hire on as guards.
The setup for this campaign is a sandbox-style hexcrawl. We will make the assumption that everyone knows each other at this point. The Charter of Exploration is the main hook, but it does not have to be the one you take! I have offered several other potential hooks for you to take. If you would like to do something different, that is okay as well.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: IC I

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith Ashsurge looks at the map for what appears to be a long time and several hmms are heard he furrows his brow a few times as well then finally concludes lowering the map and handing it off to whomever wishes to take a gander at it next. "I'm thinking venturing to Highforge and Penhaligon would be far easier trek to start with other than north through the mountains. However the reward offered for Bargle has highly peaked my interests. How ready are we to track down and fight a wizard?" he asks openly to the other adventurers with him. "I'd love to tackle capturing Bargle however I'm thinking lets take the second most important task first, what say you all? he asks standing there hoping for other insight from the others. "To add to my thinking we also have heard there is a merchant willing to pay for delivery to Penhaligon. This would add to what we would already get for finding a good way to Penhaligon from Threshold. The rumor of this man eater in the norther mountains just adds to my reservations about heading north first. Though that could add to the wizard Namar One-eye seeking unusual creatures dead or alive as well. Though still I'd rather we head to Highforge or Penhaligon first. The merchant caravan doesn't really aid us with any of the tasks the Duke and Baron would have us do."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by hammerHead »

Agreed, we could take the letter to Pendaligon, mapping the route and doing the same on a return, perhaps to Threshold by way of High Forge. There is good coin in this and opportunity to limber up, before starting up again to take on Bargle or search the mountains to the north for a trade route, or both, speaks Preacher Cardicus.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Drust

Drust looks the map over carefully. "I agree Nerith, Pendaligon seems the best choice to start. Perhaps if we keep our eyes and ears open we may learn some more useful information along the way that will help us with the way North or our crazy wizard."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by thirdkingdom »

Note that there already is a route to Penhaligon, through Kelvin. What the Baron is seeking is a direct route east, through the hills, to Pehaligon.

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

thirdkingdom wrote:
Note that there already is a route to Penhaligon, through Kelvin. What the Baron is seeking is a direct route east, through the hills, to Pehaligon.
OOC: That is the way i understood it, I saw there is a long way there but they are looking for a direct route through the hills.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Darkmane »

Lothgar strokes his beard and nods his head, I think we can find great glory in the regions about this township of Threshold. Going by way of Penhaligon makes sense. Two birds with one stone if we find a good path through the hills and mountains. Then if that roving beast hasn't been slain by the time we reach Threshold, we can kill it for them and collect a magic blade as payment!

With that he strokes the black feathers which adorn his spear and listens for the others to comment.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Drust

"It sounds like we are in agreement. Time to prepare, I can be ready for the coming morn. Anyone opposed to setting out at dawn?"

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith Ashsurge smiles "Dawn sounds fine by me. I'd even be willing to head out within the hour. I like sleeping out under the stars."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Drust

"That is fine with me if everyone is ready, I have spent many a night under the stars."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

Yarthmont 1, AC 1000
Threshold

Thus decided, the adventurers visit the merchant, who hands them a letter sealed with red wax and a small sack containing 50 gold royals. "This letter is to be delivered to Master Tatim Nida in Penhaligon. His residence is along the main avenue, in a two story wood house painted blue. He will make sure you get the rest of the payment once the letter is put into his hands." He also gives the adventurers a promissary note to that effect.

Yarthmont 1, AC 1000
The Windrush Road

The adventurers, once they have recieved their payment, head south out for Penhaligon. They make slow time, although the road helps. It is one of the new improvements the Duke has brought to this remote realm, a paved road wide enough for two wagons to pass abreast, that follows the slow, lazy curves of the Windrush River.

There is little traffic on the road, but the entire length from Threshold to Verge forms a corridor of civilization in the wilderness. It is rare that the party is not within site of a small freehold, to land newly plowed for wheat or rye, or pastures dotted with sheep. They pass travelers at somewhat regular intervals, as well, and once are overtaken by a great log flow, drifting down the river, driven by agile men atop the floating logs themselves, armed with long staves they use to push off from the shore or out of snags. The logs are soon out of sight -- Threshold is a town founded in part to harvest the old-growth timbers found in the surrounding hills, and seeing hundreds, or even thousands, of logs being send downstream is a relatively common occurrence.

The adventurers have been on the road for nearly six hours when they come around a slight bend in the road, obscured by trees, and see nearly a dozen dogs in the road ahead, some 120 yards distant, worrying at something in the road. The curs do not seem to notice the party at this distance, but all who witness it note that something seems wrong. The dogs are mangy and underfed, and are moving strangely around their quarry.
It's 24 miles from Threshold to Verge. The slowest party member is moving at 60' , or twelve miles per day. However, the road increases movement by 50%, meaning they can travel 18 miles per day.

Random Encounter Check (1-3):: 1d12 3
There is an encounter, and it is with wild dogs:Surprise, PCs first, reaction roll, then distance in yards (x10):: 1d6 5 1d6 2 3d6 5 5d8 12
The dogs are surprised. There are ten of them. When does the encounter occur? http://orokos.com/roll/608365: 1d8 6

As per Labyrinth Lord, if the other group is surprised during a wilderness encounter the non-surprised party may automatically evade the encounter. In this case, moving off the road and bypassing the dogs.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by hammerHead »

Preacher Cardicus

We can evade this pack by going off the road and around. says the preacher.
Rules:

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith "Yeah that is my thought as well. Best divert off the road for a bit to bypass the mangy dogs."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Darkmane »

Perhaps we should divert from the road and camp for the night? We could check what the dogs were worrying in the morning after they have eaten their fill?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by thirdkingdom »

Darkmane wrote:Perhaps we should divert from the road and camp for the night? We could check what the dogs were worrying in the morning after they have eaten their fill?
That's three votes to go around, one of which is also to hang out and wait until morning to see what the pups are chewing on. Any thoughts on this amended proposal? You've got another two hours of travel left in the day, and either way aren't going to be able to reach Verge by nightfall. That's okay, though, there's plenty of farmsteads along the road where you can crash, so it's not like you'll be sleeping out in the wilderness.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Drust

"Probably best to just keep moving, they may not go too far for several days. I doubt whatever it is, is of any value to us."

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by hammerHead »

Rex wrote:Drust

"Probably best to just keep moving, they may not go too far for several days. I doubt whatever it is, is of any value to us."
Preacher Cardicus
I've still got pace in my legs, adds the preacher.
Rules:

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by thirdkingdom »

Yarthmont 1, AC 1000
Windrush Road

The adventurers skirt wide around the wild dogs, traveling on another two hours before stopping for the night. For a few coins they find shelter in a freeholder's barn, and spend an uneventful night amidst straw and the lowing of cattle.

Yarthmont 2, AC 1000
Windrush Road

The adventurers rise early and head south. They reach Verge in a little less than three hours. It's a small village of perhaps one tenth the size of Threshold, and while the latter is a well-ordered and clean town, the former is very much the opposite: a frontier community, with dirt streets churned into mud by the spring rains, and wooden houses erected willy-nilly behind a dirt and wood palisade. A stone tower and several outbuildings, perhaps sixty feet in height, rises atop a hill in the center of the village.

Two rivers combine here, the river Windrush that runs through Threshold and the Foamfire, a wilder, fast-moving river from the heart of the Black Peak mountains. The two rivers join at Verge, becoming deeper and wider, and faster moving for awhile.
Encounter on 1-3:: 1d12 4

There's another 5-1/3 hours left in the day to travel. I'm assuming you guys want to pass through and keep going, but let me know if there's something you want to do in Verge.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Drust

"I say we move on and make what distance we can with daylight."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by thirdkingdom »

Yarthmont 2, AC 1000
Windrush Road

The adventurers press on, camping for the night in the a fallow farm field. The night passes uneventfully.
You guys camp four miles inside hex 22.25.
Encounter on 1-2:: 1d12 5
Yarthmont 3, AC 1000
Windrush Road

The adventurers rise in the morning, having spent an uninterrupted night outdoors under the cold and uncaring stars. They press on. The party left the hills behind with Verge and have been traveling through flat farmland. As they travel south the landscape begins to get more and more wooded, until by noon they're walking though an ancient woods, with freshly leaved trees forming a solid canopy some eighty feet or more above them. At the end of the day the companions have reached Rifllian, a largely elvish community nestled in the trees along the Windrush Road. The dwellings here are wooden, and built in cunning fashion to blend in with the surrounding trees. Here and there the adventurers can see the occasional human, or, more rarely, halflings, but most of the inhabitants seem to be elven.

The adventurers find lodging for the night in the Silver Swan Inn.
Encounter on 1-3:: 1d12 12
Let me know if there's anything you want to do in Rifllian. Any shopping will have to occur the following day.

Return to “Across the Known World (B/X retro)”