OOC Thread I

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Thread I

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

OOC comments and questions are welcome here.

Welcome to Across the Known World, a sandbox-style game set in the Known World of Mystara. You will find some general style-guidelines below.

I would like everyone to head each of your IC posts with the character's name and class in bold. Dialogue should be made using quotes ("") rather than colored text. Short OOC comments should be made behind spoiler blocks as opposed to redtext. Long OOC comments should be put in the OOC thread rather than the IC thread.

Posts should be in the present tense, third person. Post intentions, not results. I will narrate the results of any actions. Posts should be clear and succinct, conveying as much information as possible. I don't want to have to try and parse a post to figure out intent. Please also try to use proper grammar, spelling and capitalization. When posting, try to make sure every post counts. I like to work on a majority-rules basis for determining actions. A character should propose a course of action ("I say we take the left-hand corridor") and once an action is proposed the immediate posts following should address the proposal. If you're going to say "No" please make sure to propose an alternate! It also helps if you explain *why* you want to do something else ("Your suggestion has merit, my friend, but I would suggest the *right-hand* corridor, because, if you will remember the words of the oracle, she said to 'beware the sinister side'. In this case that clearly means we should eschew all left-hand corridors!"). Do not post that you have no input, or are fine with the majority decision!

As a general rule I tend to favor short posts that clearly explain what the character is trying to attempt. I have little interest in reading paragraphs about inner feelings, or what the character is wearing, etc. "Blaarg the Blotchy grumpily explains that the oracle was clearly referring to left-handed people, not corridors, and that the bones decorating the right-hand corridor give him the wiggins." is far preferable to "I haven't slept at all well, Blaarg thinks to himself as he wipes his nose on his blue velvet jerkin, the color of the nosegays that once grew outside the window of his high school sweetheart. He is a handsome man, perhaps a trifle on the pudgy side, with long fingers that speak of year being forced to practice the harpsichord blah blah blah . . ." We're not writing a novel or bad fanfic here. Posts should be kept short, sweet and to the point, conveying as much information as possible in as few words as possible.

You can see a sample post below.
Gworg the Unwise

Gworg surveys the enemies before him. "I am Gworg, known as the Unwise! Tremble before my might, infidels!" The barbarian flexes his mighty thews and swings at the goblin before him with his longsword!
I can look at the above post and immediate see which character is acting and what they're trying to do, including the specific target they have in mind.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Thread I

#2 Post by thirdkingdom »

I went ahead and posted the IC thread. You do not have to post in it now, but I wanted to go ahead and get it in because a) I'm snowed in at home and have some time and b) it will give you an idea of what the game is *about*.

The main conceit of the kind of hexcrawl that I run is that each hex contains a certain number of *things* waiting to be discovered. These things are both lairs (where monsters live) and features (ranging from interesting topology, mineral deposits, zones of weird magic, etc.). An 8-mile hex has an area of roughly 55 sq. miles, so can contain quite a few things.

Exploration *within* a hex assumes the adventures spend a number of days (dependent upon the terrain and encounters) criss-crossing the hex and discovering what lies within. At the end of the period the adventurers will have successfully mapped the hex and will know the land value of the hex (i.e. the value of the resources that lie within, useful for domain level play).

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by thirdkingdom »

I've added a couple more houserules to the relevant thread, including a brief description of how long it takes to explore a hex.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'd like to start no later than tomorrow, if possible. We're still waiting on two more characters, but I'd rather get started with some momentum than let it drain away waiting on folks.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by thirdkingdom »

Just a note that I make heavy use of spoilers in my posts. Since I make all rolls, I try and keep the rolling as transparent as possible. All (or most, at least) of the rolls I make will be in spoiler blocks, linked back to my orokos account. If I don't make a roll it is either because it is a behind the scene roll (searching for hidden doors, for instance) or because I'm rolling on my phone. For consequential rolls I like to provide links.

I think we're all pretty experienced gaming here, and I expect there to be a certain amount of meta-gaming. There is usually information in my spoiler posts that relates to this! I will also try to provide important information -- such as actions that can be taken, or damage that characters have suffered -- in spoilers. I try to bold this information so you can be aware of it.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by thirdkingdom »

There were some others -- some in the process of character creation -- interested in joining. I'm going to give them until tomorrow morning, eastern US time, before getting going.

IN THE MEANWHILE. Here's how we're going to do this. Every 8-mile hex on the main map has been divided into indivdual hexes, like this:
Hex 13.39.png
Hex 13.39.png (127.95 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
The subhexes may contain interesting and/or dangerous things! What I'm going to need to get y'all to do is to decide on a proposed route using the map of Karameikos I have provided. Be as detailed as possible! For example, you could say you want to travel in as straight a line as possible from hex 29.22 to hex 23.21.

I will narrate the journey and give you guys opportunities to react to encounters. Movement through hexes is going to be reduced by 1/2, since the goal is to find the best possible route for a new road, which may not be the straightest path, nor the one you find immediately! You guys didn't use any rations on the journey here; my assumption is that when you are traveling through civilized lands you do not need to consume personal rations, nor pay for food (thanks to Lifestyle Expenses).

Let me know if you've got any questions!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The route I was considering myself not sure if anyone agrees to this is starting through hex 28.22 > 27.22 > 26.23 > 25.22 > 24.22 > Threshold.

It's not exactly a straight path but it is semi-close to that. It is sort of similar to some of the roads that go to the other locations on the map to some extent.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

that sounds like a good plan to me.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Here is as close to a "rendering" for this potential road based on the path but also roll of the dice to determine how it turns out. Just a real "rough" idea of what I was thinking anyway to give a visual for what I was trying to envision.
Attachments
New Road Potentially.png
New Road Potentially.png (36.52 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

thirdkingdom wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Nerith pays for one mule and saddlebags for it. "The cost is fair enough what say we get all 3 mules? I can chip in if needed for one of the other two." ooc: deducted 30 gp from my sheet never added the amount we got paid for the letter delivery, and never deducted cost for the room at the inn or meal & drink.
See the house rules. Minor expenses such as lodging and food in civilized areas are covered by the monthly Cost of Living. Everyone begins play with the first months CoL prepaid. You don't have to worry about paying for rooms at an inn, or food.
Noted. However I am still keeping the cost of one mule deducted.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Nerith pays for one mule and saddlebags for it. "The cost is fair enough what say we get all 3 mules? I can chip in if needed for one of the other two." ooc: deducted 30 gp from my sheet never added the amount we got paid for the letter delivery, and never deducted cost for the room at the inn or meal & drink.
See the house rules. Minor expenses such as lodging and food in civilized areas are covered by the monthly Cost of Living. Everyone begins play with the first months CoL prepaid. You don't have to worry about paying for rooms at an inn, or food.
Noted. However I am still keeping the cost of one mule deducted.
Yes, expenses like that are still tracked. CoL explicitly (at these levels at least) are meant to eliminate the small, mindless bookkeeping. Like, I don't want you guys to waste time subtracting silvers for every drink you buy.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sounds good to me thirdkingdom :)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by thirdkingdom »

Aight, guys, I'm going to go ahead and make the first IC post of the expedition in the morning. Make sure all your equipment is updated, and your character sheets are complete.

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll add a Mule with saddle bags to my inventory i suppose ;)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by thirdkingdom »

Okay, I've heard from Darkmane, GrayWolf, Hammerhead and Rex. No word from drpete and ybn1197 hasn't finished their character sheet yet. The party therefore consists of these four individuals. I'll get the IC up presently.

Bigtaff
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Bigtaff »

Not sure if this is right place to post this.
Do I have any equipment on me since my capture by the goblins?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by thirdkingdom »

Bigtaff wrote:Not sure if this is right place to post this.
Do I have any equipment on me since my capture by the goblins?
Yes and yes. This is basically an expedient way of getting you introduced. Let's say you were captured earlier in the morning by the group of eight goblins, which are currently waiting for night to fall again so they can leave the forest and return to their lair.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by thirdkingdom »

I'm not going to have time to update until early afternoon. ybn, your character comes to, bound at the wrists and gagged amidst the goblins, at the beginning of Round Two. Your companion Elerik is nowhere to be seen, and the goblins look like they're firing at something just past the treeline. They are paying no attention to you.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ybn1197 »

My apologies to everyone for not joining in earlier. Hammerhead, being in my OSRIC game, already knows this but you others don't. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately ever time he was to begin radiation treatment, something occurred to stall them. He has bad balance and can not walk so well so they postponed treatment to see if there were any tumors and lesions on his brain. Finding none they were going to proceed but then another doctor called for a MRI of his spine. That was clear but the radiologist saw a mass at the edge of the film and called for an MRI of his upper spine, neck, and lower skull. That was when they found a benign tumor on his lower neck/upper spine. They finally cleared him to start radiation therapy this past Monday. I do IT work for Johns Hopkins Hospital in the Cancer Center so I am very familiar with the equipment they are using to treat him so I was away for a couple of days with my family to get things started.

Because of his medical condition, I may have to disappear suddenly. If you see that I have not been on the boards for over 36 hours during the week, please NPC my character, put him in the background, or just assume he has a relapse and falls unconscious. I am keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly for the next 9 weeks of treatment. Then they have to check the benign tumor again to see if it is operable (they have to wait for the radiation treatment to be concluded before starting anything on the spinal tumor.)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by thirdkingdom »

ybn1197 wrote:My apologies to everyone for not joining in earlier. Hammerhead, being in my OSRIC game, already knows this but you others don't. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately ever time he was to begin radiation treatment, something occurred to stall them. He has bad balance and can not walk so well so they postponed treatment to see if there were any tumors and lesions on his brain. Finding none they were going to proceed but then another doctor called for a MRI of his spine. That was clear but the radiologist saw a mass at the edge of the film and called for an MRI of his upper spine, neck, and lower skull. That was when they found a benign tumor on his lower neck/upper spine. They finally cleared him to start radiation therapy this past Monday. I do IT work for Johns Hopkins Hospital in the Cancer Center so I am very familiar with the equipment they are using to treat him so I was away for a couple of days with my family to get things started.

Because of his medical condition, I may have to disappear suddenly. If you see that I have not been on the boards for over 36 hours during the week, please NPC my character, put him in the background, or just assume he has a relapse and falls unconscious. I am keeping my fingers crossed that things go smoothly for the next 9 weeks of treatment. Then they have to check the benign tumor again to see if it is operable (they have to wait for the radiation treatment to be concluded before starting anything on the spinal tumor.)
Vibes.

Return to “Across the Known World (B/X retro)”