Session 1: The Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session 1: The Citadel

#181 Post by dmw71 »

Tomb
Kelben joins Auborn at the sarcophagus and gives it an inspection of his own, but only reluctantly.
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (118.15 KiB) Viewed 959 times
The gnome, with his cautious approach, does not uncover any new detail about the dragon-shaped stone coffin.

---

Actions?

---

Date: 12 Flamerule 1489
Time: 17:20 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Temp: 63°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 12 Flamerule @ 17:27)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
    Sky: Bardic Inspiration on Kelben (Expires: 12 Flamerule @ 17:29)
D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Sheets Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
      Spell Slots: 0
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10-6 = 4-6 = 0+9 = 9 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
      Spell Slots: None
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Languages: Common, Infernal
      Spell Slots: 0, 1st: 2, 1
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
      Spell Slots: 0, 1st: 2
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky ignores the sarcophagus for the time being and takes a look around at the edges of the room, searching for more dusty footprints. Her eyes keep flickering back to the latches on the sarcophagus.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#183 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "Anyone wish to see if there is anything magical about this sarcophagus?" the gnome asks openly to any of the spell hurlers in the group.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by dmw71 »

Tomb
Ignoring the sarcophagus momentarily, Sky begins to work the outer walls of the room, searching for more dusty footprints. The tabaxi notices that the significant coating of dust along the floor extends throughout the area, and with the only tracks she manages to discover are those the group has left.

The area clearly has been ignored or inaccessible for a very, very long time.
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 957 times

"Anyone wish to see if there is anything magical about this sarcophagus?" Kelben asks, clearly hoping someone else will make a decision regarding the sarcophagus -- to open the latches or not?

---

Actions?

---

Time: 17:21 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 12 Flamerule @ 17:27)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
    Sky: Bardic Inspiration on Kelben (Expires: 12 Flamerule @ 17:29)

• Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10-6 = 4-6 = 0+9 = 9 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#185 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Wandering over to examine the sarcophagus, the sorcerer mentions, If you are willing to wait 10 minutes, I can cast Detect Magic.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#186 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben nods happily agreeing to the terms "I've got nowhere to rush off to so take the time you need Qelgrax." the roguish gnome replies while taking a look at the latches from a distance, looks a bit puzzled "Have any of you ever known a sarcophagus with latches? I've always thought them to just have a stone lid slid over the top but not latched."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#187 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

He decided it was best to let the experts examine the sarcophagus. Though, in the back of his mind, Aubron wondered if this is somehow related to the source of the apple's power. What magic is here, he thought to himself. He retreated in to northeast corner of the room to watch Kelben and Qelgrax go to work.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by dmw71 »

Tomb
Klilxuac wanders over to join Kelben at the sarcophagus. "If you are willing to wait 10 minutes, I can cast Detect Magic," the dragonborn offers. "I've got nowhere to rush off to, so take the time you need," Kelben agrees.

Klilxuac, aware that his 'Light' spell will expire while he is in the middle of his ritural, positions himself so he remains fully in the green glow of the magically lit torch in the corner behind him.

While Klilxuac enters an almost meditative state while he undergoes his ritual casting, Kelben eyes the latches of the sarcophagus suspiciously, questioning their existance. "Have any of you ever known a sarcophagus with latches?" he asks. "I've always thought them to just have a stone lid."

Sky continues to examine the walls of the tomb, and finds that for such an aged structure, they're in fairly good condition. Meanwhile, Auborn retreats into the corner that served as Jot's previous hiding spot.
Tomb.jpg
Tomb.jpg (80.09 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Klilxuac's ritual concludes and the sorcerer, still remaining inside the glow of the magically lit torch, scans the room and detects a faint aura emanating from within the sarcophagus.

No other area in the tomb indicates any hint of magic.

---

Scott308, please make sure you indicate the spent spell slot on your D&D Beyond character sheet.

Actions?

---

Time: 17:32 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:
  • Torch with Continual Light
  • Klilxuac: 'Detect Magic' spell (Expires: 12 Flamerule @ 17:42)

---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#189 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The sarcophagus itself is non-magical. Whatever is inside, however... Klilxuac shrugs his shoulders, as he quickly casts Light again. Something inside the sarcophagus is giving off a magical aura, and that's it for this room.
No spell slot was expended from casting Detect Magic. It was cast as a ritual, therefore requiring 10 minutes to cast but not using a slot. There are a number of spells that have the Ritual property. They're great for casting during rests.

Also, do I sense a school of magic for whatever is inside?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#190 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben sighs "I couldn't make heads or tails of these latches. Though magic within to me is just all the more reason to leave the sarcophagus be. No sense unleashing some undead lich or some such magical undead being."

Scott308

#191 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Alternatively, the dragonborn begins, it could be a magical sword or ring. Maybe the...quasit, was it?...was there to watch and make sure nobody tried stea- uh, removing, the treasure. Klilxuac looks to each of the other party members. If you do not wish to open the sarcophagus, I will go along with that decision. After all, the people we are here to find are not going to be inside. However, if we are able to discover some ancient item of magic, it could be worth far more than what we are being paid to find the missing people, he says, with a gleam in his eye. I do not believe that my spell would detect some sort of creature, but I admit, it is possible. I am still new to casting these spells, and do not really know the full extent of their powers yet. And perhaps the latches, which you say are unusual, are there to keep something with incredible strength from pushing the lid off and escaping. Shrugging his shoulders, the sorcerer continues. I do not know what the right answer is here. However, if we are not willing to take a chance on finding great treasure, maybe we should have stayed in our home villages and become coopers or wainwrights.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Finished with her inspection rounds, Sky turns her attention to the elephant in the room. Only half-listening to the concerns and suggestions of the group, Sky moves over to the sarcophagus and starts playing with a latch.

"You know, now that the guardian is gone, there's nothing stopping the Dragonpriest from being disturbed. I see this one of two ways. Either there's something good in there, and we can benefit. Or there's something bad in there, and we prevent others from being harmed. It's like that story about the cat in the box. We don't know until we open the box."

Sky looks longingly at the box sarcophagus and casually flips a latch.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#193 Post by dmw71 »

Tomb
Sky, having completed her inspection rounds, moves over to the sarcophagus and starts playing with a latch.

"You know, now that the guardian is gone, there's nothing stopping the Dragonpriest from being disturbed. I see this one of two ways. Either there's something good in there, and we can benefit. Or there's something bad in there, and we prevent others from being harmed. It's like that story about the cat in the box. We don't know until we open the box."

She looks longingly at the box sarcophagus and goes to casually flips a latch.... but finds that it is firmly fastened and her casual efforts will not be enough to open them.
Sarcophagus.jpg
Sarcophagus.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 925 times

The group, witnessing the attempt, realize that opening the six latches will require a fair amount of effort and strength.

---

Note: Opening a single latch will require a successful Strength check (DC 15).

Actions?

---

Time: 17:33 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:

---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#194 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "There may be some truth to that, however others have been to this place before and either they never found this room, or the did and left what lies within alone. Or they didn't leave it be and are now no more. I'm not sure Sky if you are familiar with another saying. Curiosity killed the cat. Might give that one a thought before playing much more with latches on something in which typically contains the dead, and ever so often the undead."

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#195 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

I came all this way to find out the source behind this mysterious apple. For all we know, we have found it. If not, maybe it will lead to us finding those children. I think we need to open this tomb, Aubron said. He walked over to the far side and stowed his bow. He saw the first latch and attempted to open it with his strength. Though, it looked like he would need to try quite a bit to force it open.
Strength Check: [1d20] = 3

GreyWolfVT

#196 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben sighs and resigns to grave robbing..... and tries to help open a latch.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#197 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Aubron watched as the gnome tried and failed. Frustrated, Aubron bore down and tried again. This time, he was whispering a silent prayer to Solonor to aid him in his effort. Either divine interference or plain luck worked in his favor as the latch popped up. He then moved to the other side of the coffin to help the gnome.
Strength Check NW latch: [1d20] = 18

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#198 Post by dmw71 »

Tomb of a Failed Dragonpriest
After Sky, Kelben, and Auborn each independently fail to release a latch securing the sarcophagus lid shut, they begin to pair up. Working together, the group manages to release the first latch. Then the second, and third, fourth, fifth, and...

When the final latch is released, a small cloud of dust pillows out around the edge of the lid and a brief sound of air escaping is heard as the lid is released from its longstanding binds.

Since they've gone this far, Kelben and Auborn begin to work together in an effort to remove the lid of the sarcophagus, but its significant mass makes it difficult to move for the pair and it remains solidly in place. When Sky or Klilxuac lend an assist, the lid slides open.

At the same time, a flash of green light from the magically lit torch in the corner is observed.

Inside the coffin, a single creature with putrid green, rubbery-looking flesh rests in a contorted position. Its body, shrunken and elongated, is adorned in rotted finery, but rings and an amulet, adorned with tiny silver dragons, that still sparkles.
Dragonpriest.jpg
Dragonpriest.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 916 times
The beady black eyes of the horrid creature flash open and it releases a chilling snarl as it appears to awake from a state of suspended animation!

---

Actions and Initiative.

---

Time: 17:41 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:

---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#199 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

The ranger, with the help of his companions, did a good job unlatching and opening the sarcophagus. Indeed, something lurked inside, but it did not take Aubron off guard. He had a strange feeling that this day would not end without a battle of some kind. He pulled his two shortswords and slowly prepared to defend himself.

Yelling to the others, Prepare yourselves! We'll be needing to dispatch this creature quickly.

With his swords in hand, the ranger slashed at the beast. One of his swords found a vital spot in the beast as it sunk deep into its' side. Though, the damage appeared to be superficial.
Initiative=[1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5
Attack Main Hand: [1d20+5] = 6+5 = 11
Damage Main Hand: [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9
Attack Offhand: [1d20+5] = 20+5 = 25 (CRIT)
Damage Offhand: [1d6] = 1
Crit Damage Offhand: [1d6] = 3
Last edited by Shaede on Tue May 01, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky hesitates when the torch flashes, suddenly unsure of her actions. As the creature snarls, Sky jumps back exclaiming "Bad! It was the bad one!"
She pulls her rapier and lunges at the creature.
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”