Session 1: The Citadel

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Session 1: The Citadel

#1 Post by dmw71 »

The Old Road
Seeing as how it is still early afternoon after any last-minute business in Oakhurst is concluded, the group makes for the mostly ignored Old Road and begins their journey.
Overland Map.png
Overland Map.png (841.69 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
The overgrown Old Road, which is nothing more than stamped dirt, keeps your progress slow, but steady. After initially passing by a collection of farms, both occupied and unoccupied, the rough trail passes stands of mature oak trees, their leaves now in full bloom as the spring season is nearing its end and summer approaches.

As you continue, your uneventful progress winds you through some gradual rolling hills before a new patch of deciduous trees -- a mixture of oak and maple -- appears off to your right. Just beyond this patchy forest, the Old Road bends to the left as it approaches and follows a narrow ravine.

This ravine runs for several miles in either direction, with an average depth and width of 30-feet. At the point where it most closely intersects the Old Road, it widens to 40 feet. It's at this closest approach to the cleft where the group spots several broken pillars that jut from the earth where the ravine widens. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most lean atop sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the dark depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

A sturdy, knotted rope is tied to one of the leaning pillars on this side of the ravine

---

I will keep the renamed (Session 0: Oakhurst) first thread open, so feel free to keep posting in it if there is any unfinished business or outstanding questions. Otherwise, let's get things started! :)

Actions?

---

Date: 12 Flamerule 1489
Time: 16:16 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Temp: 66°F
Conditions: Cloudy and cool with a light breeze.
Light Sources:
  • None.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None.
D&D Beyond Content: Campaign, Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide to Everything

Character Sheets Character Status
  • Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Init: +2 | Percept: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Infernal
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: No | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Session 1: The Citadel

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben takes a closer look at the pillars noting any unusual looking markings if there are any. He also examines the rope how sturdy does it appear to be looking the path the rope takes to see if any hand holds or foot holds are carved or in place to ease climbing down using the rope. "It appears the citadel may have collapse into the ravine." he says while examining things to the others then adds "I'm going on a whim here but I suspect the goblins maybe using this rope as a means to get in and out of the citadel. However it could be a trap as well." taking extra care in his examination he also checks for traps on or near the rope & pilar it is tied to.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#3 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

The dragonborn looks apprehensivly at the rope. Hmm. Some of us are a bit larger than a goblin. I hope the rope will hold.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

After a lovely walk through the woods practicing her flute, Sky spots the large pillars teetering on the brink of the ravine. Her curiosity gets the better of her, and she stashes the flute and races ahead to examine the pillars. "A fallen temple! Or something. I bet it holds countless stories and artifacts. And the apple, of course."

Sky peers over the edge, looking down into the ravine.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Like the others, Aubron is intrigued with the ruins of the citadel. He wonders to himself, How long has this stood the test of time, and really, how intact is the citadel at the bottom of that ravine?. Curiosity gets the better of himself, and he peers over the edge to deduce some more information on what can be seen.

Turning to the group, Well, it looks like we will need to scale down. I'll be happy to give that rope a try, but perhaps we should also use one of our own as backup tied around my waist. You never know what the state of this rope may be. Sky may also be pretty deft at going down as well.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

The Ravine
Sky spots the large pillars teetering on the brink of the ravine and allows her curiosity to get the better of her as she races ahead to examine the pillars instead of allowing Aubron or Kelben, each more talented in the arts of being stealthy, approach first. "A fallen temple! Or something. I bet it holds countless stories and artifacts. And the apple, of course." she purrs, excitedly, while peering over the edge, looking down into the ravine. Aubron, careful not to spook the half-feline, makes his approach from behind her obvious, and he stares into the crevice as well.

While the daylight shines down and does provide some illumination, the area below is shrouded in darkness. The pair spot what they appear to be a landing of some sort, roughly 50-feet down, but are unable to make out any details. They do notice, however, some older and seemingly well-used handholds and footholds carved into the cliff face on the side they're on. Based on the smaller size of these carve-outs, they suspect they might be the works of a smaller humanoid creature -- goblins, perhaps? -- but they, in addition to the rope, would make the descent quite safe.

Kelben notices that while they appear to be in various stages of disrepair, the pillars are mostly intact. The leaning pillar in particular, with the rope tied to it, appears to be quite sturdy. The gnome does spy some graffiti symbols carved into the side of this rope-bearing, leaning pillar; which, while he recognizes them as being dwarven runes -- another historically subterranean race -- he isn't fluent in the language and is unable to make out if they have any meaning.
Keep Out.jpg
Keep Out.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Beware.jpg
Beware.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Farador, the half-elf, translates the symbols' meanings:

"Keep out."
"Beware."

Unrattled by the warnings, Klilxuac looks apprehensively at the rope. "Some of us are a bit larger than a goblin. I hope it will hold," he adds. Any apprehension is put to ease after a closer look at the thick, knotted rope reveals it to be in quite good condition, where its lack of fraying and the relative absence of other signs of age lead the dragonborn to conclude that it most likely has been tied there somewhat recently.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 16:21 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.

• Shaede | Aubron | High Elf | Ranger (1) | NG | HP: 12 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 14 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Sylvan, Common, Elvish, Orc, Dwarvish
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue (1) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Init: +2 | Percept: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Gnomish, Thieves’ Cant
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (1) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Init: +3 | Percept: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Infernal
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (1) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 7 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: No | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
  • Mister-Kent | Farador | Half-Elf | Cleric (1) | CG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 10 | AC: 16 | SP: 30' | Init: +2 | Percept: 12 | Darkvision: Yes | Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

After examining the ravine, he turns to the group. It looks like there are two ways down - the rope and the carved handholds. I think with my rope tied to the columns, we can secure whomever goes down the handholds and then another one can drop down using this rope. If we have another rope in our packs, we can also secure the person going down the main rope in the event he slips. That may be our safest way down to that landing while going down two at a time.

GreyWolfVT

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben responds "Actually I think you can use the footholds and the rope really what we could do is tie one of our own ropes to that line there and around the climber as a harness and use the rope and the hand and foot holds to climb down. Though I think we should use the utmost stealth in climbing down as we can no telling what could be down there hidden from our site ready to attack once they hear us climb down."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Kelben, yes, I think we are in agreement, however, with my method, we can have two people descend at same time. One on the handholds and one this rope that is already tied here. We can use two of our own ropes as harnesses on the two people descending. That way, if there is anything at the bottom, we have two people who can react immediately. But, I fully agree that stealth is a priority.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Just a note while you guys finalize your plans:

If anyone does use their character's personal rope in addition to (or instead of) the existing rope, if it is tied to a column and left behind, please make sure to remove it from your inventory on your character's sheet. It can always be added back later if the rope is retrieved.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "I just don't think two climbing at once is a wise move. But lets try it your way if the first two work out fine then we continue that method. If not then lets go one at a time. Fair enough?"

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Nodding to Kelben, Agreed, and I think we are the two that should go first. We both are very quiet and don't need light to see our way down. Given your stature, I suggest you use the footholds, and I'll go down on the rope. Aubron removes the rope from his pack and ties it securely to a column. With the other end, he then fashions a crude harness between his legs and waist that he ties securely. Slowly, he approaches the ravine and cautiously grabs the rope tied to the column. He waits Kelben, so they can go down together.

As he repels into the ravine, Aubron notices the light start dissipating. He relies on his Elven darkvision to attempt to peer through the darkness, while utilizing the shadows to hide his movements.
Stealth Check (7)
Perception Check (12)
Rope, Hempen (50 feet) removed from Inventory

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben nods and begins his climb down as quietly and stealthy as he can taking his time to carefully climb down.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

The Descent
The advance scouts, Aubron and Kelben, agree on a method of descent, with the elf taking the rope and the more diminutive gnome utilizing the hand and footholds carved into the side of the ravine. Lowering themselves slowly and cautiously, relying on their darkvision and not any artificial light sources, the pair begin to climb and rappel themselves into the depth below while the others observe from above.

Once Aubron and Kelben -- the only two members of your group fluent in the dwarven tongue -- reach the half-way point of their descent, Sky notices a new dwarven rune carved into a nearby pillar, similar to the earlier noted 'keep out' and 'beware' runes carved into the opposite side (in the image) of the base pillar supporting the rope. It's almost certainly just another warning.
Ravine.jpg
Ravine.jpg (169.99 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Even proceeding with caution, it takes less than a minute for the skilled pair find themselves touching down on a sandy ledge 50-feet below the surface (#1):
Ledge Overview.jpg
Ledge Overview.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 3179 times

The sandy ledge, which is roughly 25-feet wide, extends out approximately 20-feet from the landing. The surface is rough and consists mostly of sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals.
Ledge Surface.jpg
Ledge Surface.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Maybe 10-feet and slightly off to Aubron's left is what appears to be an old ring of stones, which the elf suspects is a fire pit of some sort.

Approximately 15-feet directly in front of Kelben looks to be a rough hewn stairwell that zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness.

---

I just noticed that I forgot to add labels to the tokens on the map (or forgot to display them to the players). I will fix that for future maps.

Actions?

---

Time: 16:21 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.

---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben turns to Aubron and says in lower than normal talking tones "We never worked out a way to signal the others to come down." then the gnome takes his sword and sifts through the ashes in the old fire pit.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Mister-Kent »

From the surface, Farador peers down into the darkness and shudders. He looks over at Sky from the side of his eye. "How are we supposed to know when it's safe to come down?" he whispers.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"Hmmm? Oh. That." Sky stops looking at the rune and peers over the edge again. "I guess if they aren't screaming in terror, they're fine." She stands back up and faces Farador. "Let's give them a minute to secure the area, then we'll go down. Sounds good?"
Can Sky see them down on the ledge?

She motions for Farador to follow her to the rune. "See that? Can you read it?" Sky will try to memorize the rune(s) to show others.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Shaede »

Aubron

Aubron nodded to Kelben once they reached the ledge. I am glad that was uneventful, but we do need to proceed with caution. Let's see if the others come down on their own, or one of us will need to go back up to retrieve them. For now, I think we need to get our bearings. Aubron sees Kelben looking at the fire pit, so he moves to the edge on his left hoping to peer down and see where the stair case leads.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

On the Ledge
From the surface, Farador peers down into the darkness and shudders. "How are we supposed to know when it's safe to come down?" he whispers to Sky, glancing over at the half-feline from the corner of his eye. "Hmmm? Oh. That." Sky stops looking at the rune and peers over the edge again; unable to make out any of the details so far below in the darkness. "I guess if they aren't screaming in terror, they're fine." she offers. "Let's give them a minute to secure the area, then we'll go down. Sounds good?"

Without waiting for acceptance of her proposal, Sky motions for Farador to follow her to the rune. "See that? Can you read it?" she asks. The half-elf studies the symbol and recognizes it to represent the word 'caution', which he shares with the curious kitten. "Someone must really not want us here."

---

"We never worked out a way to signal the others to come down," Kelben whispers to Aubron as he passes the elf on his way to the ring of stones. As the gnome draws near, the pit itself and the are immediately surrounding it, are covered by the accumulated ash of hundreds of fires over the years, though the lack of burnt smell and dry nature of the ashes suggest that it hasn't been used for quite a very long time.

Kelben draws his rapier and uses the tip of it to begin sifting through the pits' ashes. The rogue manages to uncover some small animal bones, likely remenants from past meals, and a few spear tips of such poor construction he suspects they must be of goblin construction.

His search is interrupted by a sqeaking and scurrying sound of a trio of 3-foot long brown rats with a series of white stripes lining their backs.
Rats!.png
Rats!.png (275.75 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
The giant rats, which had been hidden amongst the rubble, waiting for an unsuspecting target, quickly circle in an apparent attempt to surround Kelben!

---

I mistakenly stated in my last update that Kelben and Aubron were the two characters able to speak dwarven. It turns out Kelben cannot, but Farador can, which works out nicely since the new rune can still be "read" while the pair investigates the ledge below.

Actions?

---

Time: 16:22 (Sunrise: 05:51, Sunset: 20:05)
Light Sources:
  • None.
  • None.

---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
    Aubron
5-foot
  • Kelben
    Farador
    Sky
    Klilxuac
    Aubron
10-foot
  • Kelben | Farador
    Klilxuac
    Aubron | Sky
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Mister-Kent »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Sky
"Let's give them a minute to secure the area, then we'll go down. Sounds good?"
Can Sky see them down on the ledge?

She motions for Farador to follow her to the rune. "See that? Can you read it?" Sky will try to memorize the rune(s) to show others.
Farador agrees with Sky's suggestion--despite an air of kittenish distraction, she seems to have smarts about her, he decides. Farador spends the one minute time-frame translating any nearby runes, then ignores their warnings and begins to descend after his companions.

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”