Prologue: On The Ship…

Lunna
Scout
Scout

Re: Prologue: On The Ship…

#41 Post by Lunna »

Pumfrey knows it's best not to have all your eggs in one basket.

"Stick with me friend. I'll get you aboard that boat, if it's the last thing I do. Which it may be."

He refrains from physically aiding the elf, worried that he might break a few bones.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

As he glances about, Finnigan sees there is still room in the lifeboat, so he rushes over to it and climbs in.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before anyone can even react, the captain literally jumps out of the crows nest. He grabs a thick rope hanging from the mast, using it to quickly lower himself back down to the deck. For a tired looking old man, he does this rather gracefully. He commands his crew to ready the tiny lifeboat and then shouts out over the crowded deck while the merchant types frown and sneer.

"I've crisscrossed this ocean for over forty years looking for that hump of rock out there, and by the gods, I have finally found it!!!"

He looks over the entire deck for a moment, as if he is trying to appraise his passengers. He then motions to a few of his crewmen to move through the crowd towards your location.

"I need a willing group to row over to that island out there to do a little investigation!"

The group of gnomes shouts out in unison. "WHAT???"

The captain continues. "Sorry fellas, I know we had a verbal agreement and all but, I need a real group of strong, smart, adventuring types. Not a bunch of single minded, treasure seeking gnomes. Truth be told, I don't even like gnomes. And I sure as hell don't trust em! You little shits ain't goin unless I can't find a better option."

"Now! If I got any takers for a quick row and a little look around, step foreword!"

The sailors move right past you to confront the angry gnomes with nets and clubs. They shout out a few disparaging words at you before the sailors easily shut them up. Not one other person on deck steps up to the call. In fact, most of them take a step back. The ship starts to slow down a little as the island draws close. A light mist starts to fall from the edge of the dark clouds overhead. The captain continues.

"Now don't let a little rain scare you! We can't take the ship in too much closer anyway! Oh come on now, will nobody step up for the cause? It won't take long, and I will allow you to keep anything you find on it. As long as you row right back to the ship and tell me what it is!"

"If you want a short stretch with dry land under your feet, this is your chance! Simply step forward, state your name, and explain why you think you would be a good candidate to investigate a fabled lost island!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Ahem!" says Sprig, stepping forward. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Sprig... the half-dwarf. I also hate gnomes. In addition, I am a capable adventuring type and ready to assist..."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#45 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The captain bursts out in laughter, clearly amused by the gnomes spunk. After looking him over, he thumbs Sprig towards the lifeboat that is just about to be hoisted over the side of the ships rail.

Unable to stop laughing momentarily, he blurts out, "Get in the boat, Sprig! Half-dwarf! HA!

hyperborea
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by hyperborea »

Grossphil the Feeble

Grossphil is far more hesitant to instantly accept the captain's request. He does, however, step forward to speak (through his cloth of course)"Greetings Captain, I am Grossphil. And while I will admit my curiosity is peaked, would you please explain to me why you've spent 40 years searching for an island but would allow whoever takes on this journey to retain all they may discover? And what are you expecting us to find?"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by scottjen »

Zefarrel sees the captain zip past her downwards as she is slowly rising. Hearing the captain's words makes her smile as she was intending to get on the boat anyway with her new companions for an irresistible adventure on the legendary Lost Island. As she floats down to land near the captain she says: Captain, my name is Zefarrel, a Priestess of the great god Frey. I have magics at my disposal, of which I have demonstrated but a small part, and it should be obvious on why I should be included in the landing party. Should you wish my advice in deciding which of the others are worthy, I will gladly share my wisdom.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

hyperborea wrote:Grossphil the Feeble

Grossphil is far more hesitant to instantly accept the captain's request. He does, however, step forward to speak (through his cloth of course)"Greetings Captain, I am Grossphil. And while I will admit my curiosity is peaked, would you please explain to me why you've spent 40 years searching for an island but would allow whoever takes on this journey to retain all they may discover? And what are you expecting us to find?"
"Whoa! Hang on there slim! No, really, you should hang on to something there."

"My life's business is my own, but let's just say that I have no need for monetary possessions, only information. Since I obviously can't leave the ship myself, I need some people to go to the island and find out what it's made of. See what they can find. I expect they might discover a cave or an underground entryway of some kind. Possibly under the water or along the shoreline. If they do, or if they find anything else out of the ordinary, they will bring it back to me here on the ship. By no means should anyone enter through any portals, just document what is found and bring the information back to me."

"Now move aside please sonny, in case someone qualified wants to step up to the task."

scottjen wrote:Zefarrel sees the captain zip past her downwards as she is slowly rising. Hearing the captain's words makes her smile as she was intending to get on the boat anyway with her new companions for an irresistible adventure on the legendary Lost Island. As she floats down to land near the captain she says: Captain, my name is Zefarrel, a Priestess of the great god Frey. I have magics at my disposal, of which I have demonstrated but a small part, and it should be obvious on why I should be included in the landing party. Should you wish my advice in deciding which of the others are worthy, I will gladly share my wisdom.
"Like this young lady here. A magical priestess of Frey you say? Well then by all means Zefarrel, climb yourself aboard!"

"Anyone else care to step up?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

Elitir

Elitir continues towards the life boat, never slowing down and trying to make herself look important. "I am in Captain, Elitir the mercenary at your disposal. My companions, the dwarf and half-elf are coming along right behind me.I think we are just what you are looking for."

Lunna
Scout
Scout

#50 Post by Lunna »

Pumfrey reaches up his hand to the captain. "Pumfrey Shortbottom, pleased to meet you captain. If I had a middle name, it would be 'expert at getting in and out of mysterious islands'. Leave it to me and my friends here to check things out and get back before you have time to throw those gnomes overboard."

He glances over at Grossphill. "Just one condition. Slim has some special skills and it's crucial he comes with us."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#51 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote:Elitir continues towards the life boat, never slowing down and trying to make herself look important. "I am in Captain, Elitir the mercenary at your disposal. My companions, the dwarf and half-elf are coming along right behind me.I think we are just what you are looking for."
The captain looks over the ugly half-orc warrior before stepping out of her way.

"Yes! Yes! You will make a fine addition to the landing party! I bet you are real good at looking under big rocks and such! Please climb aboard Elitir the mercenary!"

The excited captain shouts out to his crew to lower the main sails as the island draws closer. The ship starts to slow even more while the weather worsens. Heavy rains start to fall and the oceans pounding wave action increases a bit. The rest of the passengers start to get nervous, wondering what is going to happen next.
Lunna wrote:Pumfrey reaches up his hand to the captain. "Pumfrey Shortbottom, pleased to meet you captain. If I had a middle name, it would be 'expert at getting in and out of mysterious islands'. Leave it to me and my friends here to check things out and get back before you have time to throw those gnomes overboard."

He glances over at Grossphill. "Just one condition. Slim has some special skills and it's crucial he comes with us."
The captain laughs again at the gnome reference as he shakes the halfling's hand.

"Pleased to meet you little fella. You look like you would be good at getting yourself into tight places. Get aboard and prove to me what you are capable of, master Pumfrey."

He looks over the skinny elf again, still not convinced that he could make the trip, much less offer any assistance.

"Is this true, string bean? Are you some type of elven mage or something? Because that would indeed be someone handy to have along."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Mac

The Archivist slowly stands and moves towards the Captain. "I am Mac Kellen, the author. Perhaps you've read some of my works? I'd relish the opportunity to properly document any findings." He pats his book to emphasize his point. "Besides, any group can always use someone with a little grey in their hair, don't you think?"

"But first, I'd like a quick word with that gnome."
Mac points out the gnome leader who confronted the group earlier. "Pardon me, good sir. I would like to take a peek at those pages you have there. I will share any information that we find with you. Seeing as we are just going out for an initial scouting visit, it may be the best opportunity we are allowed."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Mac The Archivist slowly stands and moves towards the Captain. "I am Mac Kellen, the author. Perhaps you've read some of my works? I'd relish the opportunity to properly document any findings." He pats his book to emphasize his point. "Besides, any group can always use someone with a little grey in their hair, don't you think?"

"But first, I'd like a quick word with that gnome."
Mac points out the gnome leader who confronted the group earlier. "Pardon me, good sir. I would like to take a peek at those pages you have there. I will share any information that we find with you. Seeing as we are just going out for an initial scouting visit, it may be the best opportunity we are allowed."
The captain nods acceptingly at the grey bearded human with the log book.

"Never heard of ya, but we could indeed use someone of your talents, good sir! You are welcome to board with the others, Mac."

When the human tries to speak with the gnome about their papers, his request is firmly denied.

"You can kiss my pink round arse, longshanks! I ant giving you shit! We had a deal with the captain, see? And you thieves screwed us over!"

The sailors raise their clubs again until the gnome stops swearing at you.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

Finnigan steps up and nods at the Captain. "Me axe is sharp and I know how to use it." He looks at the lot on the boat already and adds, "An I'm the toughest of that whole lot... even the big girl there."

He pulls out a flask and takes a nip, adding, "And I'm not sure I have enough whiskey to stay on this ship for much longer without a refill! So I'll see what I ken find out there."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Mac

Mac is taken aback by the anger of the gnome. It is, he feels, a very sensible proposition. As his face starts to darken from embarrassment, he continues. "Very well. I will, of course, still offer any information we find upon our return. Until we meet again."

Mac walks over to the lifeboat and gets in.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alethan wrote:Finnigan steps up and nods at the Captain. "Me axe is sharp and I know how to use it." He looks at the lot on the boat already and adds, "An I'm the toughest of that whole lot... even the big girl there."

He pulls out a flask and takes a nip, adding, "And I'm not sure I have enough whiskey to stay on this ship for much longer without a refill! So I'll see what I ken find out there."
The captain looks thrilled to have the tuff dwarf step forward.

"That sounds just splendid to me! I am not sure you will find any spirits there master dwarf, but anything you do find is yours to keep. What was the name then? Just so it can be properly logged in the journal."

The upset gnome starts to respond to Mac from a distance. "When we meet again, you can kiss my....." But, stops abruptly once a sailor thumps him on his head with a belaying pin.

The big ship slows to a crawl as the agitated waves continue to break against its hull. 6 brave adventurers climb aboard the lifeboat and the crew is ordered to begin lowering it into the rough sea. Sprig, Zef, Elly, Pumf, Mac, and Fin try to make themselves as comfortable as possible once inside the small boat. The skinny elf stands there on the deck, not sure if he should go along or not. The captain shouts at him in haste.

"Last chance elf! Jump in or stay here, it doesn't matter to me! The time for questioning has past. Either join up with your friends or get the 9 hells out of the way!"

The tiny barren island looms mysteriously off in the distance as the heavy rain continues to fall. A loud crack of thunder suddenly sounds overhead, adding even more dark dramatic flare to the current situation.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#57 Post by Alethan »

"It's Finnigan. Finnigan Firebeard," he calls back to the Captain as he climbs into the lifeboat.

hyperborea
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by hyperborea »

Grossphil the Feeble

Grossphil gives an appreciative look to Pumfrey as he's quickly come to the conclusion that remaining on the ship would be a mistake. He stands up straight and speaks "I accept the offer Captain. I am indeed an elven mage full of surprises. I know my small stature may be concerning, but I more than make up for my lack of physical strength through my intelligence. My spells will be most beneficial to my new companions while we take on the Lost Island."

Assuming the captain has no interest in stopping him, Grossphil will proceed to join the others in the lifeboat (where he will place himself in the middle just in case a sharp wind blows him overboard).

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by scottjen »

Zefarrel beams at her new companions. She seems way too excited to be getting into a lifeboat, and anxious to be away to the island, even though it may possibly be a one way trip.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The captain smiles at his assembled "away crew" while the rowboat is lowered the rest of the way into the churning Azure Sea.

"Remember, just look around to see what's there and don't get yourselves into any trouble! Try to find a doorway or opening somewhere on the island! Once you are certain that you have cased the entire surface and found everything there is to see, get your skinny asses back in the boat and come tell me what you have found."

The smaller boat bangs hard against the hull of the much larger ship once the hoisting ropes are cleared. The sea feels much rougher now that you are floating in the tiny vessel, causing Elitir's seasickness to return once again. A stiff current seems to pull at the underside of the lifeboat, eventually yanking it away from the ship and pulling it towards the island. Finn grabs the single set of oars and tries to propel the boat towards the tiny hump of rock off in the distance.

After what seems like hours on the rough water, the island is nearly within reach. The surface of the sea undulates terribly as you close in, causing the lifeboat to rise and then fall again sharply as it rides atop the waves. The rains are pouring down now, chilling you all to the bone and soaking everything you carry. The winds pick up as well, tossing the front of the little boat this way and that as the strong dwarf tries to counter their effects. Lightning flashes and thunder booms, causing some of you to wonder why you've decided to take on this mission in the first place. That's when things really get bad.

Looking back to the ship, you notice that it too is being pulled towards the small island. You hear a loud crack of wood splintering on rock coming from behind you as your small boat lunges to the side, nearly tipping each of you into the tumultuous sea. Once the island is only a few yards away, you start to feel a bit more comfortable that you might actually survive this trip. That feeling is short lived.

Suddenly, the front of your vessel explodes in a shower of water and wooden splinters, as what looks like the very top of a submerged ships mast comes crashing through the floor of the lifeboat. The hull of the tiny rowboat is completely ripped apart by the time it comes to a complete stop. The jerking motion of the sudden halt knocks half of you into the churning waters. The boat fills with water so fast that soon all 7 of you are flailing around in the icy cold water, just trying to stay alive long enough for you to swim the last few feet to the rocky island.

Along with your next post, please make a normal Strength check [3d6] to see if you can pull yourself out of the water and climb up the rocky shoreline as the waves bash into you.

Anyone who makes their check is safe and can try a hard [4d6] check to see if they can pull anyone who may have failed out with them. Thanks!

In case you missed it in the ooc....
viewtopic.php?f=552&t=7244&p=351236#p351233

Return to “C3 The Lost Island... (1E Tournament)”