OOC III

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC III

#21 Post by onlyme »

I've seen this game before, then... Raif probably has a spellcaster ready to rush in and put us to sleep as well.
I'd rather us not escalate and somehow get to exit. We aren't even Brightoners, so do we really have a dog in the fight regarding the crimsons vs the purples?

I just hope he aint pissed we shut off his poisoning trick.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Yeah, his threats weren't exactly veiled. I don't see non-violence as a feasible option here.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Maybe we could hightailed it to the locking, torture chamber? We have the key, right?

If not, then in case if a magic user, we should spread out.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

I apologize for lack of posting. I'm swamped by work right now and probably will be through at least Thursday. Please NPC my characters as needed.

Horatio will ready his bow and fire at Raif at the first sign of an offensive move. Keebler will hold his sleep for a moment to see if anything comes charging in from the other room; if not, he may use it on Raif. More generally, Horatio is in favor of killing this guy, but will hold his bow & blade until combat is inevitable. Keebler hopes for a less fatal resolution if possible.

Thanks.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm happy to let onlyme try and talk our way out of this. FWIW though, the mayor of Brighton told us about these folks. They are the Crimson Brotherhood, or something or that. He described them as bloodthirsty (my words, not Dave's ) and they were thrown out of the region.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

Huh. Come to think of it, Horatio is an opportunist. If an opportunity comes up to join the Crimson Brotherhood, Horatio will seriously consider it.

Besides, obnoxious and bloodthirsty? Horatio would fit right in! ;)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

Ha... My problem is that neither Junius nor Sacro would be cold blooded killers of men, and these guys havent done us anything outwardly evil. Not that we would win if we did fight them, with only 1st level PCs, almost all spells gone and 2 still stiff as boards.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

All good points. AdaRue and Vernon aren't cold blooded like that, either... I think I went there because, plot-wise, these NPCs confuse me. Despite our initial attempts to be friendly, t seem intent on claiming the tunnels and all the spoils, which drives the PCs to either fight them or to abandon the adventure. While this might happen in RL, it seems to undermine the story/game, IMO.

I'm not saying to change anything, mind you, and I hope Dave doesn't. I like this lot of PCs and will follow them along and hope to learn something about RPing here. :) I am just tossing out what I think led me to attack Raif.

Slightly edited from the initial post.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I think I went there because, plot-wise, these NPCs confuse me. Despite our initial attempts to be friendly, t seem intent on claiming the tunnels and all the spoils, which drives the PCs to either fight them or to abandon the adventure. While this might happen in RL, it seems to undermine the story/game, IMO.
Raif is the leader of the group, and this group has a motivation (which may or may not be in direct conflict with yours).

Meeting this group was "inevitable" as they were in the next room, but your combat against the carcass scavengers attracted them and drew Raif over to investigate.

Raif initially complemented the group, and escalating into where things are was not predetermined, though there was always a chance of it. Things kind of took a turn after the "confusion" about returning to town. That, plus no one in the group really has a great charisma. AdaRue's is decent at 11, and she is who Raif initially sought out. Junius, the primary peace-keeper, actually has a poor charisma.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

dmw71 wrote:That, plus no one in the group really has a great charisma. AdaRue's is decent at 11, and she is who Raif initially sought out. Junius, the primary peace-keeper, actually has a poor charisma.[/ooc]
Yeah, but seeking attention by acting like a date rapist?

And realistically, how could these red cloaks have gotten this far and still have all their spells? :?

Anyhow, feeling we were getting to this point earlier is why I had Vernon (try to) attack first. To try and stop him from getting his friends. C'est la vie.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

My first real break today comes as a result of our internet going down, so there's a chance I might not be able to move the game again until tomorrow (since I have a meeting at my kid's school tonight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

FWIW, I am a fan of tracking ammunition. It makes choices count more.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

I'm a fan of not tracking ammunition unless it's special (e.g., the brightontip arrows), especially when all ammo is lost when fired. Not tracking the ammo compensates for not being able to recover ammo. And we usually find more arrows than we need anyway.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:FWIW, I am a fan of tracking ammunition. It makes choices count more.
I might be one of the stricter DMs when it comes to resource tracking -- and that won't change.

However, I also know what lies ahead, and given the current quantity of arrows the archers have, it's unlikely they'd expend them all. If things run long and they get a few extra shots, so be it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:...unless it's special (e.g., the brightontip arrows)...
This, actually, is a good point.

I will probably continue to track the Brightontip arrows as they are more limited.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote:However, I also know what lies ahead, and given the current quantity of arrows the archers have, it's unlikely they'd expend them all. If things run long and they get a few extra shots, so be it.
Y'know, there are multiple ways to take that. Maybe we'll find lots of arrows. Maybe we'll have to engage in melee all the time. Maybe the path ahead is all traps and few enemies. Maybe we've already explored nearly all of the dungeon.

Or maybe we'll all die before we can possibly use all our arrows.

Could be anything! :D

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh goodiegoodiegoodiegoodiegoodiegoodiegoodiegoodie!!!!!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by AleBelly »

Hi,

I'm going to have spotty internet access and will be pretty busy over the next two weeks. Please NPC Canun as necessary.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

FYI...

There is very little left to explore in the goblin halls you're currently exploring, and you are now almost in a race against Raif to see who can wrestle the treasure from the goblin king away first.

You were hired to to discover the cure for the blight, which you've done. Clearing out the goblins is secondary, and can/will be accomplished by Raif and/or Brighton troops should you elect to forego attempting to do it yourself.

That said, this adventure can potentially be over. Once upon a time, I did have ideas on how to continue on beyond this first quest, but that was prior to my becoming a 5e convert, and I hate to admit that my interest in forcing a LL game along (which seems to be losing steam) just isn't there.

So, it boils down to the group's decision:

• If you guys leave and return to Brighton with the cure for the blight, you'll be regaled as heroes... but the adventure (and this game) will effectively be over. Upon learning what the group shares, Mayor Thatcher will dispatch his remaining wardens immediately and either they, or Raif, will successfully clear the goblin threat.
  • If you guys want to push forward and see if you're able to overcome the goblins, and Raif, and the wolves, and any other surprises; I will definitely still run the game to that conclusion -- one way or the other.

Either way, I definitely appreciate those of you that have stuck the game out until the end (onlyme, Zhym, Rusty Tincanne, and AleBelly).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

Well, if the choice is between continuing on or ending the game, I'm all in favor of continuing on.

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”