OOC III

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC III

#101 Post by dmw71 »

Just waiting on Zhym (and potentially AleBelly).
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

Sorry; I've been traveling today, and may or may not be able to update before tonight. If you want to move things along, please have Keebler and Horatio fire at the wolves again (I'm assuming Horatio can't re-hide and surprise the wolf again).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Junius could certainly use a healing spell. Did he end up with the potion from Raif's stash?
The 'cure' spells are touch spells, and seeing as Junius and Canun are both engaged in melee, and not near each other, that won't currently be possible.

As for the potions, I do not see that they're listed on ANY character sheet, so I do not know how they were distributed. That said, I did just do a quick search and found this, where AdaRue specifically mentioned giving one to Junius.

So, I am fine to say that Junius does have one, and drinking it can be accomplished instead of attacking in any given round.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

dmw71 wrote:...I did just do a quick search and found this, where AdaRue specifically mentioned giving one to Junius.
She's an awfully nice character that way. ;)

And not to discuss another game here, bit it almost makes up for the Lord Commander's behavior. :P

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:And not to discuss another game here, bit it almost makes up for the Lord Commander's behavior. :P
Oh?

This reference is lost on me, so feel free to share. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Zhym »

Who ended up with the magic bottle?

In retrospect, we should have used it to poison the other two wolves before opening the door. It may still be useful on its highest setting as crowd control or defense.

I also forgot we have the Brightontip arrows. This is what happens when I don't have time to pay any attention to the game, I guess.

Oh, well. Looks like we may wrap this up as a traditional Dave game after all.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:In retrospect, we should have used it to poison the other two wolves before opening the door.
It was Horatio that said not to bother.
Zhym wrote:I also forgot we have the Brightontip arrows.
Damage hasn't really been your issue; hitting has.
Zhym wrote:Oh, well. Looks like we may wrap this up as a traditional Dave game after all.
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but:
  • I made sure to target the NPCs Dimly and Rainey before another PC when there was a choice;
  • I kept one of the wolves occupied for the entire battle over it 1st-round kill;
  • I gave every single goblin guard exactly 2 hit points -- hit them and they're most likely dead;
  • The 'sleep' spells took out exactly half of the weak goblin guards from the start;
  • I had the goblin guards check for morale after Lom-Kayik was killed despite still outnumbering the party;
  • I have not played Vir-Kayik as effectively as I could have;
  • I am not responsible for misses after miss after misses after miss after failed turn attempt, etc...

Sometimes, $#@! happens and it's not the fault of the DM.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote:It was Horatio that said not to bother.
And let that be a lesson to the survivors about listening to Horatio!
dmw71 wrote:Damage hasn't really been your issue; hitting has.
In the main room, the issue has been hitting. Back in the hallway, Keebler and Horatio both scored some good hits on the wolf. It had taken 13 damage before last round, right? And these are normal wolves, not dire wolves? So it has 18 HP, max, and on average would have 11 HP. Better damage on Horatio's roll this round might have killed the wolf before it chomped on Keebler, which would have kept more of the slept goblins from waking up.

As for the TPK—relax, I'm kidding. It is funny how your games seem to end this way, but if this one goes TPK-up too, it'll be because we got sloppy. Didn't kill the wolves before moving on, forgot about the assets in our possession (special arrows, the magic vessel), that sort of thing. It doesn't help that you're interpreting the death of a caster to cancel the effects of all spells, but AFAIK the books are silent on that question. But we could have avoided most of these deaths by being more careful.

Speaking of the magic vessel, who has it?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:And these are normal wolves, not dire wolves?
Actually, they are dire wolves -- with 4 hit dice, which, needless to say, gives them more hit points and makes it easier for them to hit. But, while of the dire variety, the wolves have low it points like the goblins.
Zhym wrote: It had taken 13 damage before last round, right?
Hmmm... I may have missed recording damage it took, because I had it with only 5 damage entering this most recent round. I will definitely need to go and double-check this and fix the situation as necessary.

Working on this now.

Zhym wrote:Speaking of the magic vessel, who has it?
Are you talking about the 'Decanter of Endless Water' or somethign else? Either way, I'm not sure who has what? :roll:
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:
Zhym wrote: It had taken 13 damage before last round, right?
Hmmm... I may have missed recording damage it took, because I had it with only 5 damage entering this most recent round. I will definitely need to go and double-check this and fix the situation as necessary.
Found it!

Round 1: Wolves still in pens. No damage. -- w1: 0 damage | w2: 0 damage
Round 2: Wolves freed; H & K hidden in wait. No damage. -- w1: 0 damage | w2: 0 damage
Round 3: H: miss | K: 4 damage on w1 -- w1: 4 damage | w2: 0 damage
Round 4: H: 8 damage on w2 | K: 5 damage on w2 -- w1: 4 damage | w2: 13 damage
Round 5: H: 2 damage on w2 | K: miss -- w1: 4 damage | w2: 15 damage

15 damage is exactly what it takes to kill wolf #2, so this changes things! :)

I will work to revise the update for round 5.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Zhym »

Whew! Keebler lives!—for the moment. :)

And yup, I mean the Decanter of Endless Bad Water. We could have used it to (slowly) poison the wolves, and I think the "geyser" setting would make an effective (but messy) water cannon. I think Keebler may have been the last to hold it. I'll go back and look.

ETA: It looks like Keebler was the last one to have it: viewtopic.php?f=357&t=7028&start=280#p351891. I'll add it to his sheet now if that's okay.

OTOH, I don't think we know yet IC that the Decanter has any functions other than "stream," do we?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My recollection was Keebler having the bottle. Glad to see he's alive still! Use it on the wolf by poisoning a ration, perhaps?

One thing I couldn't tell was whether we were in charging range from the goblins. If not, AdaRue would have cast light on the wolf, so we could flee next round. If that is the case, Dave can feel free to change my action.

I agree we were sloppy about the wolves. I was going to have Vernon fire into the cages, but Junius pressed on, so I just followed. I also thought they'd Howell and draw attention to us, so that comment is merely an observation. I didn't have an issue with moving on at the time.

In retrospect, we should have just grabbed the coin from the bunk room and left for Brighton. :P

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#113 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: One thing I couldn't tell was whether we were in charging range from the goblins.
They can reach you with a full move, but not an encounter move (so no move plus attack).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Zhym »

Dave,

Is the wolf distracted enough by its meal that it's possible for Horatio to make a back-stabbing attempt? Or is that something I can learn only by trying it?

Also, are the goblins Keebler put to sleep still asleep now?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#115 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Is the wolf distracted enough by its meal that it's possible for Horatio to make a back-stabbing attempt? Or is that something I can learn only by trying it?
You can certainly attempt it. Horatio has a 30-foot encounter movement, and guess what....
30-feet.jpg
30-feet.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
His biggest potential issue will be initiative.[/ooc]
Zhym wrote:Also, are the goblins Keebler put to sleep still asleep now?
They are.

I realize I had striken the spell (and removed Keebler from the lineup), but I just went back and corrected those.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Zhym »

Hm. Can a thief backstab (or "sneak attack," if you prefer) with a missile weapon? The LL description of the backstab doesn't limit it to melee weapons:
LL Basic p. 12 wrote:A thief has the ability to backstab. He must catch an opponent unaware of his presence, using move silently and hide in shadows. The thief will receive an attack bonus of +4 and will multiply all damage by 2.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#117 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Hm. Can a thief backstab (or "sneak attack," if you prefer) with a missile weapon?
Well, it is kind of in the name of the ability: backstab.

However, and you can thank 5e for this, but I'll go ahead and allow it .
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Thanks, 5e!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I can totally see Horatio singing Frank Zappa's, "Don't fool yourself, girl. It's goin' right up yer poop chute," right now. :oops:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Zhym »

:lol:

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”