(008) Meet Connie Malone

Eris
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

Re: (008) Meet Connie Malone

#201 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote:Sigrun looks slightly bewildered, then rolls her eyes and asides to Pedro “I was being nice!” She then qualifies that with an exasperated smile and adds "I was trying to be nice but I may have accidentally been "Sword Worlds polite" instead! Ódins skegg, you people are so touchy!"

She steps forward and, looking Emily straight in the eye, delivers a strong handshake and then a bright welcoming grin “Jarl William sent you! Why didn’t you say? Kapitensleutnant Sigrun Volsung, Sacnoth Fleet. I raided along the Lunion border during the last war and so I fell out with your 213th Fleet. However, I believe the Scout Service there would speak well enough of me!” She smiles “My 500 ton Biter class raiders never engaged a major Imperial vessel – they’re too big to board! I have n’t heard of the De Reita” she mangles the pronunciation and quickly adds “no offence meant”.

She continues enthusiastically “Velkomin, Zaki will look after you while we lift". She confides "Try not to speak to any of the civilian passengers – apart from the Vargr they are all over sensitive!”

She keys her shipboard comm and cheerfully states “Zaki, forward air lock. New crew!”

(OOC: Having both made Lieutenant Commander in their respective Navies career wise Sigrun and Emily appear to be strange cultural “mirrors” of each other. Emily will know that the Sword Worlds unleashed their Auxiliary Raiding Squadrons as commerce raiders during the Fourth Frontier War. Of course, one person’s “privateer” is another’s “pirate” and although the issue of a letter of Marque might make things legal the practicality is the same! ;) )
Emily returns a strong shake and maintains eye contact. No offence taken, Kapitensleutnant. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about where there's time. I promise to keep clear of the passengers.

Emily
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Into the Marches: Emily Green, 566997, 34, LCDR Imperial Navy, 4 terms.
Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Akus Moby: Lily Stone, 897CB3, 42, Marine Gunnery Sergeant, 6 terms.
Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1
14,000 cr, 1 High Passage

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#202 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote:"Where's the new crew member?" The voice comes from behind Emily, and it belongs to a thin, dark skinned blonde of average height. She wears a holo viewer over her right eye, and a jeweled implant on her forehead just above her nose. Her hair is a curly mop that extends to just below her ears, and she regards Emily with violet eyes and a smile. She's dressed in a crewman's jumpsuit with a medical emblem on the right chest.
Emily stuck her hand out. Emily Green, engineer.

Emily
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#203 Post by terrymixon »

ffilz wrote:Chandra is busy in engineering making sure we're ready for lift. Unless the new engineer drops in on him, he won't notice until things have calmed down and we're running out to the jump limit.
Emily is absolutely not going to disrupt operations in progress, so no sighting.

Terry

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#204 Post by Keven »

bruce.desertrat wrote:
Keven wrote: Carlos groans. "Great. Our 'buddy' Mr Suit gave us a last minute flonking to send us on our way. How truly divine." He taps some controls and expands the Skywatch. "Think we need to put somebody in the turrets, too?"
Pedro shakes his head. "This close to Regina? Naah. What I'm worried about is some sneaky little limpet to loudly announce our arrival in the next system. Or worse, hull us while in jump. Anything bigger than a beer can comes near us we wanna know about it"

Now why hasn't anyone truly sneaky come up with that before now....and now that I told Eris about this loverly idea not one of us in any game will jump easy again :roll:
Carlos nods. "No problem. I'm not so worried about the outbound run, it's the return run that has me worried. My ass still aches from the last time we played with Mr Suit's 'friends'. And they'll have a few weeks to set up for us." He keys the comm circuit. "Connie Malone to .. Regina Traffic on 727.5. Ready to taxi to the launch strip. Over."
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Tiglath »

terrymixon wrote:Emily returns a strong shake and maintains eye contact. No offence taken, Kapitensleutnant. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about where there's time. I promise to keep clear of the passengers.
Sigrun replies “Ja, I want to hear how you rescued the Jarl”. Then she glances at her crewmates and with a wry smile adds “I expect you will be fine with the passengers. You are diplomatic while I seem always able to upset Imperial folk. I suppose I have got into the habit - and it’s a hard habit to break!”

With a nod Sigrun takes her leave with Pedro and the flight crew.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote:Emily stuck her hand out. Emily Green, engineer.

Emily
"Zaki Shursiia, medic and dishwasher," the blonde says brightly. "Let's go back to my office where we can talk more comfortably." She leads the way aft through the crew quarters and into the passenger area. Oddly enough, she walks with a noticeable limp. "Here we are," she says, opening the door and walking into a sick bay that's not much larger than a stateroom. "Grab a seat," she pushes a small rolling chair to Emily, "and we will get your records entered and officially bring you aboard as crew."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#207 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote:
terrymixon wrote:Emily stuck her hand out. "Emily Green, engineer."

Emily
"Zaki Shursiia, medic and dishwasher," the blonde says brightly. "Let's go back to my office where we can talk more comfortably." She leads the way aft through the crew quarters and into the passenger area. Oddly enough, she walks with a noticeable limp. "Here we are," she says, opening the door and walking into a sick bay that's not much larger than a stateroom. "Grab a seat," she pushes a small rolling chair to Emily, "and we will get your records entered and officially bring you aboard as crew."

"I have them on a chip if that's easier." Emily handed over her medical records as she sat.

OOC: She's healthy enough, though was critically injured in action about a year ago. Spent six months in a hospital and the next six months in physical therapy. Discharged from the INS because of the injuries. Only just cut loose as fully back in one peice.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#208 Post by terrymixon »

Tiglath wrote:
terrymixon wrote:Emily returns a strong shake and maintains eye contact. No offence taken, Kapitensleutnant. I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about where there's time. I promise to keep clear of the passengers.
Sigrun replies “Ja, I want to hear how you rescued the Jarl”. Then she glances at her crewmates and with a wry smile adds “I expect you will be fine with the passengers. You are diplomatic while I seem always able to upset Imperial folk. I suppose I have got into the habit - and it’s a hard habit to break!”

"I've always been fairly level headed," Emily agreed. "It's never good if an engineer runs around with her hair on fire. Makes people nervious. See you later."

Emily

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote:"I have them on a chip if that's easier." Emily handed over her medical records as she sat.

OOC: She's healthy enough, though was critically injured in action about a year ago. Spent six months in a hospital and the next six months in physical therapy. Discharged from the INS because of the injuries. Only just cut loose as fully back in one peice.
Zaki takes the chip, places it next to the reader, and returns it to Emily. She focuses on a point somewhere over Emily's shoulder, and Emily can see flickers of light in Zaki's holo display as she scans her medical data. "Very good," she says at length. "I'm glad to see the regeneration therapies worked for you. There are a rare few of us for whom they don't."

She goes through the process of assigning Emily as a crew member, giving her an opportunity to download her credentials to whatever data device she chooses. "I'll have to wait a bit to assign you a stateroom. We have five, and three are single occupied, but they're all guys. After we get underway, I'll check with them to see who is willing to double up."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#210 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote:
terrymixon wrote:"I have them on a chip if that's easier." Emily handed over her medical records as she sat.

Zaki takes the chip, places it next to the reader, and returns it to Emily. She focuses on a point somewhere over Emily's shoulder, and Emily can see flickers of light in Zaki's holo display as she scans her medical data. "Very good," she says at length. "I'm glad to see the regeneration therapies worked for you. There are a rare few of us for whom they don't."

She goes through the process of assigning Emily as a crew member, giving her an opportunity to download her credentials to whatever data device she chooses. "I'll have to wait a bit to assign you a stateroom. We have five, and three are single occupied, but they're all guys. After we get underway, I'll check with them to see who is willing to double up."
"Sounds great. I was warned not to mess with the passengers because they were touchy. Is there a crew galley where I can park it and maybe get something to eat and coffee while everyone does their thing?"

Emily

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote:"Sounds great. I was warned not to mess with the passengers because they were touchy. Is there a crew galley where I can park it and maybe get something to eat and coffee while everyone does their thing?"
Zaki sighs and shakes her head. "Sigrun, right? The passengers are all from Ling, and we're their private taxi service for a while. I'll join you in the crew lounge since I don't have to man a station." She leads the way forward and back into the crew area. The crew commons area is very much like those found in all small starships: cramped but comfortable. A holo display over the table shows the forward facing view from the ship's visual sensors, along with navigation data.

The medic steps over to the beverage maker. "We have kaff, and I might risk Carlos' wrath to offer a cup of zapana, if that's more to your taste." She punches a couple of buttons, and something hot begins dispensing into a recyclable cup.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#212 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote:
terrymixon wrote:"Sounds great. I was warned not to mess with the passengers because they were touchy. Is there a crew galley where I can park it and maybe get something to eat and coffee while everyone does their thing?"
Zaki sighs and shakes her head. "Sigrun, right? The passengers are all from Ling, and we're their private taxi service for a while. I'll join you in the crew lounge since I don't have to man a station." She leads the way forward and back into the crew area. The crew commons area is very much like those found in all small starships: cramped but comfortable. A holo display over the table shows the forward facing view from the ship's visual sensors, along with navigation data.

The medic steps over to the beverage maker. "We have kaff, and I might risk Carlos' wrath to offer a cup of zapana, if that's more to your taste." She punches a couple of buttons, and something hot begins dispensing into a recyclable cup.
“It was her. Was her assessment off? Kaff is perfect. Thank you.”

Emily

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote:“It was her. Was her assessment off? Kaff is perfect. Thank you.”
Zaki sets a steaming cup of kaff down in front of Emily, then rummages around in a drawer for a pair of spoons. "There's milk and sugar, and," she holds up a bottle with a grin, "my personal favorite, honey." The blonde sits across the table from Emily and stirs a large dollop of honey into her zapana, and takes a sip. "Oh, that's perfect."

"So," she tilts her head a bit as she changes subjects. "A little about us, then. All of us except for Sigrun and John Lee were shipped here to Regina from all over the Imperium, since the war was still going at the time. By the time we all arrived, though, it was over. We got booted out of the military, and we went looking for work. That work came in the form of helping Sir William and his family; during that time, Sigrun and John Lee joined us."

"I'll let everyone tell their own story. For me, I came from the Lishun Sector, which is way trailward from here. I had been injured in combat," her voice falters for an instant, but she regains her composure, "and I don't respond to the regen process. So, I've been healing the old fashioned way. Carlos has been helping me look for new therapies as we go along, and we intend to go back to his homeworld one of these days. We have several runs to make for our current employer, and then we can go our own way with this ship."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#214 Post by ffilz »

Sit Baltus sensing the reaction to his presence will endeavor to assure the Connie Malone crew, especially Sigrun who he recognizes and pegs as their security officer in practice if not in name that his purpose on this trip is to assure the success of LSP's mission, and that success includes the security of the Connie Malone and it's crew. He takes his job very seriously. The crew will note that he was immediately forthcoming on his arsenal. If questioned about his need for an arsenal, he will offer rumors and anecdotes of recent unrest in the region.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by Eris »

Tiglath wrote:(OOC: Please post the link if you have it! ;) I searched hither and yon but my google fu was weak ... :oops:

As close as I got was a Spanish diminuative approximating to "Little Scoundrel". Great name for a frigate but less so for a ship of the line!

Alternatively if that's in game knowledge - that might be why I can't find it! :D )
I googled English translate and tinkered around until I got something that looked okay. I doubt De really does translate to The in Norwegian or that Reita actually translates to Fields in Icelandic, but that's what the translator gave me when I was tinkering. Consider it language drift over the last few thousand years. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#216 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Once there, he says to Carlos "Betcha we're in the ramen pot, that LSP security guy sure seems to be expecting big trouble, or planning to cause some. We need to move to secure earbugs for crew comms. Connie, switch all crew intercommunication to encrypted mode, and personalize a bug for each crew member. " He looks up at the nav display, drumming his fingers on his panel in front of him. "I'll feel better once we jump. " He points at the nav display "Expand our sensor sweep, make sure we see anything moving, tagged by TC or not. If Control complains, tell 'em we're just giving our systems a last minute testing."

By personalize I mean, set it so only they can use them. Not gonna let John McLane figure out what we're doing by stealing a walkie! :lol:
"Certainly Captain Wong." comes from the bridge speakers, "It will be a few moments."

The sensors show many ships moving about the system, but now are on an intercept course with you or going to come even close to you. The trip out to the jump limit is quiet...you remain tense, but nothing unusual happens.

[Move to (010) Jump the Jenghe]
Last edited by Eris on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had to change (009) to (010), sorry
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#217 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:Sir Baltus is diplomatic corps not Marine. More response later.
I haven't talked this over with Frank, but where I think he's going with Sir Baltus is by diplomatic corps, think the Retief (stories by Keith Laumer) or maybe John Drake (of Danger Man). IOW, a trouble shooter who wears many hats. Frank, if I'm wrong about that correct me. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#218 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote:
Keven wrote: Carlos groans. "Great. Our 'buddy' Mr Suit gave us a last minute flonking to send us on our way. How truly divine." He taps some controls and expands the Skywatch. "Think we need to put somebody in the turrets, too?"
Pedro shakes his head. "This close to Regina? Naah. What I'm worried about is some sneaky little limpet to loudly announce our arrival in the next system. Or worse, hull us while in jump. Anything bigger than a beer can comes near us we wanna know about it"

Now why hasn't anyone truly sneaky come up with that before now....and now that I told Eris about this loverly idea not one of us in any game will jump easy again :roll:
Thanks for the idea, I'll file it away. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#219 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote:
Tiglath wrote:

"I've always been fairly level headed," Emily agreed. "It's never good if an engineer runs around with her hair on fire. Makes people nervious. See you later."

Emily
OOC: You might want to bring the hair on fire back up if you tell any of them the "whole story." :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
ffilz wrote:Sir Baltus is diplomatic corps not Marine. More response later.
I haven't talked this over with Frank, but where I think he's going with Sir Baltus is by diplomatic corps, think the Retief (stories by Keith Laumer) or maybe John Drake (of Danger Man). IOW, a trouble shooter who wears many hats. Frank, if I'm wrong about that correct me. :)
Yea, something like that, he had a good career in the actual diplomatic corps but since departing their service has been a trouble shooter for LSP (probably not yesterday, maybe up to a year [with no mechanical impact other than he's up to a year older]).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”