3. The Caravan Track

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 3. The Caravan Track

#101 Post by kwll »

Tasrem raises an eyebrow seeing his companion rush for the oasis. He will follow but keeps his regular pace, cautious after the previous events.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna rides along side Tasrem: Not the lead I would trust either.... She'll keep a sharp eye out.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by tumblingdice »

Assuming the rest of you follow Aristide's foolhardy charge to the water, you make your way through a ring of outer boulders and then down a narrow trail to the oasis. It is really nothing more than a pool of muddy water, surrounded by a few feeble date palms. The merchants, arriving not long after you, leisurely tie the camels and begin to make camp; Ahmed Khel posts guards in well-hidden places. It looks like it will be safe here. Lamshar comes up to your group and explains, Here we stop for several days. The men and animals are tired and to travel on without resting would mean our deaths. We were lucky to find the Lost Oasis. Sometimes the sand hides it, and sometimes the water is gone. In celebration of our good luck, tonight there will be a feast. You will be my guests.

Indeed, you have already noticed the merchants gathering dates and butchering two of the camels. In a short time the smell of stewing meat and rice hangs over the oasis.

Actions?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by badams30 »

Aristide - Rogue
Aristide will feed and water Max, putting him up for a well-earned rest. Before he indulges in any food or rest, he'll refill all his water containers.

He will quietly ask the others if they've noticed anything suspicious from anyone in the caravan. "I don't trust these folks. Seems awful convenient that right after we joined up with these guys, they got attacked. I'm going to be keeping an eye on these folks. Something doesn't feel right."
Aristide will do his best to relax and mingle, keeping an eye on the caravan guards and those in the caravan. He'll do his best to put on a good act of being wild and merry, but he's on his toes.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna will ride her horse down into the oasis area. Not being terribly impressed by the "oasis" she'll tell Khalid to gather whatever food he can for himself. She'll take a look around, not happy to know this is home for a few days.

OCC: How defensible is this place?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by greyarea »

Zelaz will dine with the others. He’s discovered that he likes roast camel.

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by connivingsumo »

Roikos: Cleric

Roikos leads his friend Penny down into the oasis. He uses a pole or long stick to prod the water, and the ground beneath the surface of the water. If all is clear he leads Penny to drink.

========================
Available Spells
Level 1:
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)

Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Detect Magic
Sanctuary

Level 2:
Bless
Bless
Find Traps
Hold Person
Silence 15'R
Speak with Animals

Level 3:
Dispel Magic
Dispel Magic
Striking

Level 4:
Cure Serious Wounds (2d6+2)

Level 5:
Flame Strike

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#108 Post by kwll »

"Is this really drinkable?" ask Tasrem to Lamshar while pointing at the pool.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

Diego tries again to ingratiate himself to the newcomers and learn more of their quest.

"You must excuse the rough manners of my associates," he says. "They are as they are because that is how they survive. Harsh conditions make for harsh people, yes? Not all can be as refined and elegant as you and I!" He cups the water in one hand, makes a slight face, then shrugs and drinks. So it's not a fine wine. It's wet, and it's in the desert.

"Tell me—what brings you and your compadres into the barren wastes?"

It's been a while R/T, but I think Diego was introduced as being part of the merchant caravan. He (and I) know nothing of this group's mission. So I'm trying to RP his proper introduction and get some story background in the process.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#110 Post by tumblingdice »

spanningtree wrote:Taranna will ride her horse down into the oasis area. Not being terribly impressed by the "oasis" she'll tell Khalid to gather whatever food he can for himself. She'll take a look around, not happy to know this is home for a few days.

OCC: How defensible is this place?
Well, it's a muddy hole in the ground, surrounded by a few feeble date palms, and a cluster of tall rocks. It's easy to block people from coming in, unless they get atop the rocks, in which case it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Fortunately, Ahmed Khel has posted some guards atop the rocks while still being able to camouflage them somewhat.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by tumblingdice »

Zhym wrote: It's been a while R/T, but I think Diego was introduced as being part of the merchant caravan. He (and I) know nothing of this group's mission. So I'm trying to RP his proper introduction and get some story background in the process.
That's a very good idea. It'll be hours until dinner, and you have plenty of time to talk. Of course, you must do so discreetly. You could always go for a stroll outside the rock enclosure.

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by tumblingdice »

Sir Joffrey, brushing his trusty steed Zephyr, turns to Diego as the swashbuckler poses his question, then exchanges glances with several of you. While he is not opposed to reading Diego in on the mission, as a mere NPC it is no longer his decision to make.

OC: So, who's gonna tell him?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by greyarea »

Zelas says, What brings us here to these barren wastes is the way out. We seek the Great Pass through the mountains. It is from there that we might find the Temple of Death, which I aim to desecrate. This would be the last holdout for the evil that plagues this land, wastes or no.

We travel with this caravan only accidentally on our mission. Do you know of this Great Pass, Diego?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by spanningtree »

Taranna will take a crack at pitching a tent/shelter. This place sucks... she will say flatly to anyone listening.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

Diego shakes his head in answer to Zelas's question. "I know nothing of this 'Great Pass,'" he says. "I ride with these...gentlemen...because there is safety in numbers. Or such safety as can be had in the desert, yes?"

"This Temple of Death you seek, that you say harbors an evil—desecrating it sounds to me like a noble quest. Perhaps you could use another blade on that quest?"

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by tumblingdice »

Taranna easily erects a shelter. Some of the guards snort derisively at her opinion of the place. We were lucky to find this place that, what you say, sucks, one of them says.

Forget the elf! another says. I think dinner is almost ready.

The first shrugs. Maybe, but guests of honor first, he says with mock solemnity, indicating your group.

Not that again, the second grumbles. We fought those bandits just as hard as they did.

The first gives the other a warning shove. Quit that! Or the captain will have you flogged.

The two make their way toward a pavilion that appears to have sprung up out of nowhere.

Surna Lamshar, caravan master, is making his way toward your party.

OC: Who wants to accept Diego's offer to join the group? Nobody gets to eat until he's a bona fide member. Don't make me assign somebody...
Last edited by tumblingdice on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by greyarea »

Zelaz uses his ring of telekinesis to raise a stick to trip the guards, and then turns and half-smiles at Diego. Another blade can do us well: safety in numbers, as you say. I'm glad to have you ride with us.

Did you not fight in the war? You seem foreign to these lands. Where are you from?

connivingsumo
Ranger
Ranger

#118 Post by connivingsumo »

Zhym wrote:Diego shakes his head in answer to Zelas's question. "I know nothing of this 'Great Pass,'" he says. "I ride with these...gentlemen...because there is safety in numbers. Or such safety as can be had in the desert, yes?"

"This Temple of Death you seek, that you say harbors an evil—desecrating it sounds to me like a noble quest. Perhaps you could use another blade on that quest?"
Roikos: Cleric

With Peny drinking and resting, Roikos leads his steps with his open hand, "When against evil such as this all who stand against it are welcome." The Cleric pauses to consider Diego's prowess and gear, "Especially when skilled with blade and arrow, for our enemy speaks no other language." he concludes offering a handshake.

========================
Available Spells
Level 1:
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)

Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Cure Light Wounds (d6+1)
Detect Magic
Sanctuary

Level 2:
Bless
Bless
Find Traps
Hold Person
Silence 15'R
Speak with Animals

Level 3:
Dispel Magic
Dispel Magic
Striking

Level 4:

Level 5:
Flame Strike

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Zhym »

greyarea wrote:Zelaz uses his ring of telekinesis to raise a stick to trip the guards, and then turns and half-smiles at Diego. Another blade can do us well: safety in numbers, as you say. I'm glad to have you ride with us.

Did you not fight in the war? You seem foreign to these lands. Where are you from?
"I is my privilege to be from Darokin," answers Diego with a bow, "though it has been years since I have gazed upon its fair spires and domes. Of the war, I know little. I have only recently returned from a voyage at sea. Perhaps you can tell me more of the war?"

Apologies if this is all sketchy or inconsistent. All I know of the game world is what tumblingdice just told me in PMs, and I probably got it all confused.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#120 Post by badams30 »

Aristide - Rogue

Aristide pauses when he hears Diego mention that he's from Darokin. "Darokin you say? I too am from Darokin." He smiles and then frowns a bit as he remembers his unceremonious departure. "I am out here in this foul waste performing my penance to the powers that be so I can return to the comfort and trappings of my home. Anyway, glad to have you with us. Judging by this filthy lot over here, we will probably be fighting our way out of this entanglement shortly...."

Aristide looks for a quiet area to bed down for the evening, keeping Max nearby. As he withdraws he quietly tells the group "I don't trust these thugs. They don't like us, and I expect some treachery or thievery in short order. I'll be retiring for the evening and keeping a close watch overnight. Anyone who cares to join me is welcome."

Return to “Master of the Desert Nomads (Labyrinth Lord)”