Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion (Session 4)

#42 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So it will be a BL test.

Heath 5 +3D help = 8D/2 = 4D + 4D (Nature) = 8D and one persona spent, right?
And I could spend a second persona to have 9D.

Question is, could I work rough hands into this to earn us a second check? Tough to see how...

Anyhow, let me know if those calculations are right and I'll roll it. :)

And for what it's worth, Thag could use his check to gain a passed/failed test on this - for advancement.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I could, but will we need it for camping?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Ludanto »

8D sounds right to me, though note that arbitrary running doesn't necessarily put this test within your Nature. But if you feel that fleeing through the woods while lost makes sense to you, we'll call it so, though with an evil GM factor of +1 Ob, since it is likely difficult to keep an eye on your surroundings while running.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ludanto, let me know if that trait was too much of a stretch. If a check was earned, that's two persons spent. If not, it's one spent. I'm good either way. :)
If I did earn a check, Thag could have used his check to earn a passed Pathfinder test.

Would it have been a simpler Ob to merely find a stream? Then a second test to follow it to a road or town? Just wondering for future reference. Because Ob 5 is tough. And the devil GM factor was great and appropriate. Can't believe I didn't need to spend a Fate on that.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Just wondering for future reference. Because Ob 5 is tough.
Second this.

Good job, Rusty - that was amazing luck on that roll.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Ludanto »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Ludanto, let me know if that trait was too much of a stretch. If a check was earned, that's two persons spent. If not, it's one spent. I'm good either way. :)
If I did earn a check, Thag could have used his check to earn a passed Pathfinder test.
Yes. The Trait is fine, and trying to feel the moss on the trees was a pretty clever segue. I don't want to be the judge on these all of the time. Think of it like a movie or a story. If it seems like a natural occurrence of a known character aspect that wouldn't if you read the same thing in a novel, then it's probably fine.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Would it have been a simpler Ob to merely find a stream? Then a second test to follow it to a road or town? Just wondering for future reference. Because Ob 5 is tough. And the devil GM factor was great and appropriate. Can't believe I didn't need to spend a Fate on that.
Really, it all depends on the circumstances. Things might not be the same in the future. In this example, it might have been relatively easy to find a stream. From there, well, you might have gotten by with a Good Idea from that point, or maybe there'd be some other check that you'd have to make, which might be difficult. It would be unfortunate to fail that one. And of course it would take two turns as well.

Anyway, excellent roll!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

We have two? checks? Does Allric want to stock up on a potion?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon doesn't need his check. Consider it up for grabs.

Can Thag still spend his check to earn a passed Pathfinder? I know it wouldn't be kosher at a table, but PBP is weird and though I mentioned it, Bill asked about us needing his check. I earned my check without him knowing I'd earn one. Just a thought, and will need to be more careful about the things in the future.

Rabon has Haggle when it comes time to try and sell things.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I could try a cartography check.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, let's camp, and make a cartography check as a priority. It it doesn't take two attempts, we can make another scroll or potion as well. I am fine if Berry makes the first Cartography check. I will add +1D help.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Can I also possibly get help from our esteemed guide, or is that too reaching?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

...the only concern there is that Rabon was using Beginner's Luck for Pathfinder, so he can't help with that. I don't see a skill that works. Thag could offer help, though.

I'll kick off camp and handle my instinct.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

Okay, my instinct is to do an Elixir, so I had to do that.

My goal is to study these !@# mushrooms.... if I can use the second Check for that, I'd appreciate it. I think that the Cartography test is a higher priority, though, so am still happy to let Berry go first (next) to make sure that is successful. If I miss my goal but we have a map to get back to the Witch and Monastery, I think that's more important.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ludanto brings up a good point about possible trouble with camping. Seems camping so close to town shouldn't be all that dangerous though. (I hope). If we can set ourselves up with a good map and and elixir though, I'm game for it though.

As an aside, Rabon's new Instinct was to mend gear in camp. Anything needing mending?

Also, I was rereading rules and stuff and realize that, as a thief, Rabon isn't actually allowed to use that helmet! It would have changed the outcome of the Temple fight, so I'm sorry about that.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Marullus »

IC:
I am playing hard to Allric's belief in making camp. I am okay with it.

OOC:
- We are three turns in - if we do anything BUT camp, we incur the Grind.
- If we don't camp we can't spend the checks.
- We really need that map. Doing it now in camp is better than incurring a resource +1Ob in town.
- Allric's goal for this session was to make sure we camped so he could investigate the mushrooms that we risked our lives for. I'd like a shot at that since the session resets after town.
- The odds of a camp catastrophe are 1/36, I believe. As Rusty said, it should be safe/unsafe within sight of town, not dangerous.

Ludanto, you imply that we risked trouble breaking camp. We discussed this before - you are reading where it says, "If returning to the adventure, the GM should
have an encounter or problem prepared."
I really do think you are reading too far into that. Your interpretation (like with the spider problem earlier) is "hit them with a twist when camp ends." I don't think that is what this means - I think it is intended just as good GM advice: "the adventure is a series of obstacles - be ready with the next obstacle on the player's journey to get them back to Action."

If we incur a twist in camp, hit us when it breaks. That's cool. If you intended an obstacle already between us and town, that's cool. But I don't think you're obligated to hit us when you didn't plan to just as a consequence of camp phase.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Ludanto »

I'm just bringing the issue to your attention. You don't have to camp to spend your checks, and there's even a small risk of losing them if you do. Plus, a bad camp roll might penalized you in other ways.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

You don't have to camp to spend your checks
...you'll let us spend our two checks on Cartopgraphy and on investigating the mushrooms (Alchemy) without camping? If so, then I can agree to not camp. We can achieve our objectives with the checks and all we lose is Allric's extra elixir (and potentially Rabon mending).

Approaching town says we can spend checks on removing conditions, but we don't have any and that's not our goal. If I'm being too narrow in that interpretation, I'm glad to adjust.

Side question: Do you take "camp" to mean "spend the night?" Rabon's IC post implied that. I never assumed that before - I usually play that we're "taking a break" unless it is explicitly dusk. Never thought to ask before.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry. I've been run ragged lately, and I'm tired and distracted. It does indeed look like you'll need to camp if you want to use those checks for other stuff.

Also, while camp isn't necessarily overnight, it's several hours, perhaps 4 at a hard minimum, between setup and teardown and giving you time to rest and just because. At this point, you'll be entering town as the sun sets.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hey sorry about not seeing the updates. Thanks to Rusty for the PM to let me know whats up. Going to do my post now.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”