OOC Discussion (Session 4)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion (Session 4)

#221 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Buck created an Elf Ranger, and will be adding the character sheet this weekend. I told him he should at least post in the In-character thread introducing himself to us at the local tavern.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Marullus »

Welcome, Buck!

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#223 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Our nonhuman number is once again positive!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#224 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

And how are we integrating Bucksurdu into the party? Just met him at the tavern and invited him to pad out the party?
That's why I posted my last message in the IC thread. We can meet at the tavern and "plan" our next step, and Alfred's sensitive elf ears hear us.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#225 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto, you mentioned a Tax. Do some of us start unFresh? Do nefarious goons come looking for us?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Marullus »

He was referring to this summary further up the thread:
Marullus wrote:"If you fail the lifestyle test, you are subject to a twist, condition or tax at the GM’s discretion (and do not start fresh or recover Nature)."
- If Ludanto is kind, he can apply the Tax. Since we spent 2D cash on the roll, it insulates from both tax, for no net effect (except blowing our 2D treasure and NOT advancing my Resources exponent).
- If he's cruel, he can apply a twist in addition to blowing our treasure and not advancing Resources.
- If he's downright despotic, he can apply a condition, take away Fresh at the same time, blow the 2D treasure, and not advance resources.[/ooc]

Also remember we get a new Adventure Hook (GM rolls [3d6] on page 97.)
So, by choosing to Tax us, he allowed us to be protected by our cash expenditure. It doesn't cause a twist, apply a condition (or make anyone less Fresh). It does mean that failing the test means that we did NOT advance our resource exponent with it (and so need more cash next town visit).

The Log thread needs to be updated with all our resource tests. Where I have us now: Nobody has conditions remaining, so anyone who wasn't already Fresh gets to be Fresh.

Per Ludanto's allowance, Allric adds the spell Supernal Vision.

I'm lost on inventory. I did the initial scrub. Than Allric bought 2 slots (2 uses each) of oil. Berry and Rabon both bought one slot (2 uses) of fresh rations. Then you were shifting stuff around. Are we accurate? Are we good?
Marullus wrote:New Inventory List (for after town):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jpl ... sp=sharing
(Don't include the new guy in the inventory shuffle. He starts fully-loaded with his own (no cost) kit.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Any moving of equipment I did did not change the overall amount of what was there, just where it is. :) I did add back in Rabon's 10' pole though.

I am wondering if there were any preserved rations erased by accident when we entered town. I doubt we'll ever know though.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Marullus »

I didn't delete the old log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lvw ... sp=sharing

It looks like Aiofe Kearney had "preserved rations (3)" still on her sheet... but she ran off with all the group's food. Litte minx.
:roll:

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Greedy dwarfs. :P

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#230 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

More the reason to go hunting on the way back to the monastery.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#231 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Quoting Marullus and Ludanto
Quote:
Also remember we get a new Adventure Hook (GM rolls [3d6] on page 97.)

Ludanto, can you roll that? :)
Already taken care of. Just waiting on your next move.
I'm guessing the result is something we don't notice right away, or has to wait until we step out the gates of the town?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#232 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

We have a map, so we can go right to the monastery, but let's use a test and go hunting, just for the food, and in case we need to reconvince Greygrim to be friendly. It will also give Buck/Alfred an exposure to how a Torchbearer test is done and how to use the Dice Roller.

Alfred and I both have Hunter 2, we both can have 2 help (Alfred, Berry, and Thag all have Survivalist, so Berry can help either, and Alfred or myself would help the other). I think we're both Fresh. So we would have 5 dice. If we go for small game, rabbits, pheasants, squirrels, etc, then it is only a Hunter test. Alfred also has Persona and Fate points he could use, I've spent all mine, so I think logically Alfred should do it, and maybe use a Persona point to gain another +1D.

Would I be able to use my Scout Ahead instinct to do a free test to look for game trails or rabbit warrens? Would we be able to gain a +1D as "supplies" for the Hunter test for that?

One *small* problem is he doesn't have a bow. Can elves use crossbows? He can borrow mine. If not, he can explain in character how he's hunting for rabbits with his dagger. lol. Reading page 36, a bow (and crossbow?) count as a tool for a test, so he would not have a bonus for using it, but would have a -1D penalty for not using it.

I believe Alfred knows the Lightness of Being spell. If he does the Hunter test, and uses that spell beforehand on himself, would you give him an extra die for getting a height advantage? Casting a spell does not take time.

Hunting for 3 rations in forest would be Obs 2, and we would have 5 (maybe 6 or 7) dice. Would it be feasible to use a Trait against us to drop a die and earn a check?

So, if Buck/Alfred is game, then he jump head-first into the Torchbearer pool and roll some dice.

You can ignore my suggestions below, and substitute your own. Either way you'll need to write up the verbage in an in character thread post.

If Ludanto will give you a +1D for height advantage you will need to cast the spell. You would test Arcanist vs the spell Obs. For that spell, to work on yourself only, it is Obs 1. You have Arcanist 3 + 1D help from Marullus if he wants to help (using his Arcanist or Lore Master he whispers magical instructions to you) + 1D Fresh. You would roll 4D or 5D to get 1 success, sounds pretty easy. Probably a reasonable time to take a Check by using a Trait against yourself. You have the Quiet trait, explain how you barely whisper the spell so it takes extra effort to get it to work. Write it up, and use the Dice Roller to get the results. If you pass then for the duration of the spell (it doesn't say so I assume just for the next test) you're a floater. If you fail to cast then one of two things will happen, dependent on how EvilTM Ludanto is feeling. You succeed in casting the spell, but you earn a Condition (channeling the mana has given you the munchies, you're Hungry and Thirsty now, and you lose Fresh), or a Twist (as you rise above the trees you are spotted by a kobold patrol who will be coming to investigate soon). Or he could be just plain EvilTM *wink* and say that the spell doesn't work at all. Ludanto should tell you the possible consequences of any test before your take it. Anyone helping your take a test, and is not using a Wise to shield themselves, also suffers some effect. For example, if Marullus helps and you mess up the spell, you gain Hungry and Thirsty, but he gains Angry (at you for being a poor student) and you both lose Fresh, although that is a bit rough for a consequence of a simple spell.

Assuming it worked, then in a new in character thread post, write up how you're using that height advantage and how you want Berry and I to assist you with our Survivalist skills, we'll chime in with how we're helping, and then you roll the dice again.

Hunter 2D + 2D help (Survivalist from Thag and Berry) +1D Fresh +1D height advantage + maybe 1D for using a Persona point + maybe --> 6D or 7D for Obs 2, you need two successes. Maybe use a Trait against you again to earn a second Check and roll 5D or 6D for Obs 2. Elves have First Born, explain how you understand the nature of rabbits, that your people have spoken the song of rabbits since the dawn of time, and it pains you to send their little rabbity souls to Eru, but it is for the good of the party. Again, like the test for the spell, if you succeed then we get the benefits. If you fail, then we probably still do get the benefits, but you and everyone who helped gets a Condition or a Twist. Again, up to Ludanto and how EvilTM he wants to be.

Does that sound like a plan? We'll still have two test left to take before we try the monastery basement. I'm assuming we will camp after 3 tests to try to save our Freshness.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Marullus »

I agree with hunting before we get to the Monastery, even though we bought more food than expected. Letting the new guy try out a test is fun.

...we created a map at the Monastery, but I think Ludanto said that was only "of" the Monastery. He made us try to navigate back to town and we failed (meaning we do NOT know our way back to the Monastery), but we found the witch's hut. We have a map from the witch's hut to town and back. It is my understanding that we need a Pathfinder test to find the Monastery again.

As a skilled Hunter, Alfred has assumed "tools" for hunting. He can snare and trap small game with normal "tools." If he had a spear, bow, javelin, dogs, horse, or bird of prey it would be a "+1D Tools" for it. No mocking the elf for hunting with a dagger. ;)

Earning a check is a good idea. :) Hard to use "quiet" against yourself when hunting, but perhaps thinking on his "first born" nature?
Would I be able to use my Scout Ahead instinct to do a free test to look for game trails or rabbit warrens? Would we be able to gain a +1D as "supplies" for the Hunter test for that?
Good question! :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Speaking of Buck, he hasn't logged in about a week, one day after posting his character sheet. I hope he's still interested. This game has a lot of crunchy bits, which can be off putting.
BillTheGalacticHero wrote:For example, if Marullus helps and you mess up the spell, you gain Hungry and Thirsty, but he gains Angry (at you for being a poor student) and you both lose Fresh

I believe that, as the one testing the skill, Buck would get the harsher condition, and his helpers would take a lesser condition.

Ludanto, please let me know if you need a post from Rabon. I've been silent because I don't think anything is needed from him quite yet.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by Ludanto »

Everything's cool. Just waiting for you guys to decide how you want to proceed and then act on it.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
BillTheGalacticHero wrote:For example, if Marullus helps and you mess up the spell, you gain Hungry and Thirsty, but he gains Angry (at you for being a poor student) and you both lose Fresh

I believe that, as the one testing the skill, Buck would get the harsher condition, and his helpers would take a lesser condition.
I just re-read my post and realized that it sounded... Not like what I had intended. Bill, your overall post was great, and I agree that getting into a test right away would serve Buck well. I think hunting on the way to the witch's hut, then a Pathfinder to the ruin is great.

We can then head to the campsite in the room, avoiding the spider's den, hopefully. One test for whatever is needed, then call before turn 4. If all goes well... :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Marullus »

I think that accurately sums the plan. :) (Except I don't know that we are passing near the witch's hut on the way back... We found the monestary by a more direct route last time.)

I don't want the game to die waiting for Buck. Can you check in if he's going to play? Can he commit to a few posts a week?

If not, then I think the hunting test is on Thag, and he can move us ahead.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#238 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I sent him an email, he says he will try to get to it soon.

bucksurdu
Runner
Runner

#239 Post by bucksurdu »

Verizon failed me this week. I had no Internet until today. I work from home, so I have been hanging out a Chic-Fil-A to use the wifi. In addition, though I have subscribed to the Session 4 list, I wasn't getting notifications. Not sure why.

Anyway, I posted something to the in-character thread.

What dice do I need to roll. I am still somewhat confused by the mechanics of this game, being quite different than other games I've played.

Buck

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Marullus »

First, you don't have a bow. :)

Second, the main rule is "describe to live." You need to do exactly what you did - write a descrptive narrative. The details matter: you say you're hunting boar? The difficulty is that for a boar. (Rabbit woulda been safer.)

Next Ludanto takes your details and tells you the skill you are rolling and the difficulty you need to achieve. It is a bit forgiving that way - you'll be told what to do.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”