Session 4: Back to Falko

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 4: Back to Falko

#81 Post by Ludanto »

"Blackscour Taint", she says as she reaches unsuccessfully for the sack. "I think it may have come from the water. People get weak and then cough up blood until they die. I'd heard of it, but nothing I tried helped. This is pretty much my last hope, though I think the Taint has run its course. Not many people who contracted it are still alive."

She starts setting up some glass bottles and pulling out other tools.

"They say that there's a monster in the deep woods. The Tatzelwurm. Some kind of dragon-snake-cat-thing. I've never seen it, obviously, but you hear stories sometimes."

She reaches for the sack again and then looks at Rabon as if for the first time.

"If you gotten here before everybody died, maybe I could justify it..."

Rusty: Personal Business (+1 Lifestyle)
Make a Manipulator test against her 3 dice (NOT Ob3)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As Rabon tries to sway the herbalist, Berry chimes in with his best efforts to Persuade her, as well. Afterwards, Rabon says, Ah Ha! and reasserts himself.

Manipulator 4D + 1D (Help from Berry)
[1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 6
Fate to reroll the 2:[1d6] = 3
Fate to reroll all 6's: [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3
Lackluster use of Fate points... :(

2 Fate spent and 4 successes.
I also marked a passed I am Wise (for helping Thag earlier) and Deeper Understanding (from this). :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Ludanto »

She gets 1 success.

Laurel thinks for a moment.

"Well," she says deliberately, "I suppose I did make a decent profit from this whole mess." She digs around behind the counter for a moment before plopping two sacks of silver onto the top.

"Maybe I can dry the extras for next time."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Marullus »

Allric is very compassionate to her troubles, offering what helpful advice he can for her trade, as he is rather wise in the ways of elixirs himself. He is curious about details of the Tatzelwurm, and he also asks if she has heard of a witch in the wood, or the disappearance of children.

(Could our aid convert her to a friend? Is there anything else we're expecting here?)

When their business concludes with Laurel, the group meanders back to the market, getting an appraisal for the second book and stained glass.

(Once we have that, we can divvy loot and handle more actions.)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Ludanto »

While you're certain the book must have value to a collector, finding a collector of religious curiosities or Dwarven antiquities in this backwater village is unlikely.

As for the window, while a few people seem to appreciate its fine quality and artistic composition, nobody seems interested in stained glass obviously stolen from... somewhere. And where would they put it, anyway?

The book will require looking in the right place for a collector.
The window ended up being worth 2 Wealth, but as salvage, that rounds down to zero. :(

And it seems that Laurel is all business.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

- Allric buys the lantern oil with (from Haggle result)
As the group goes about their business in the marketplace, Allric haggles, driving a hard two-for-one deal to get lamp oil for both Rabon and Berry.

Buy oil [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 1
(two successes, Ob 2)
Four flasks of oil acquired. Allric bumps to 1D resources.

- Allric goes to the tavern to find the local wizard (from Circles result)
Once done haggling in the marketplace, he stops by the tavern, looking for the guard who he suspects can point him to the hedhe wizard he heard of in these parts...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Ludanto »

Allric doesn't see anyone he recognizes, but the "tavern" (for it's a pretty tiny little place and the bar is just a plank of wood over a stone plinth) is rather small, and he quickly finds the man he's looking for. If this is a hedge-wizard, though, the Imperials must have really nice hedges. The man sits at the back, smoking a pipe in the shadows. His hat, rather than a wide-brimmed old traveling hat, is some sort of tall, cylindrical thing with ornate swirls embroidered in gold thread over rich, red silk. His two companions, also Imperials, aren't nearly as impressive, and chat quietly over their drinks.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:The silk robes and dancing tongue of the foreigners identifies them as Imperials from the eastern shore. Their conversations are opaque to you, however, and their stiff demeanor reveals little.
Ludanto wrote:Allric doesn't see anyone he recognizes, but the "tavern" (for it's a pretty tiny little place and the bar is just a plank of wood over a stone plinth) is rather small, and he quickly finds the man he's looking for. If this is a hedge-wizard, though, the Imperials must have really nice hedges. The man sits at the back, smoking a pipe in the shadows. His hat, rather than a wide-brimmed old traveling hat, is some sort of tall, cylindrical thing with ornate swirls embroidered in gold thread over rich, red silk. His two companions, also Imperials, aren't nearly as impressive, and chat quietly over their drinks.
These two posts are the only references to "Imperials" we've had in the game. We need a little more than that before I engage. What do we know about Imperials? Are we under an Empire? Was the Empire long ago, currently strong, or just conquering present-day? What is their influence over the Ashen Throne, Kelsgard, and Falco (the relevant places for Allric's circles?) Are they rare or encountered often?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by Ludanto »

The Imperials are from far to the west. The largest, most civilized (at least according to them) cities are on the western shore.

This place is not under Imperial rule, here in the Marches, and there are several smaller sovereignties between here and there.

The Empire was once great, though fell to hard times after calamatous disaster struck much of their holdings. They are still a power to be reckoned with, however, and are only getting stronger.

Imperials might be a little stuck up, or out of touch, but they aren't enemies or anything.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

It does not do to come unprepared from a weary day of market haggling, murmurs Allric to himself once assessing the situation within the little bar. He quietly steps back out of the doorway to instead prepare himself for a better introduction in the twilight hours of the evening repast. .The appearance of power... ruminates Allric as he prepares himself. With the advantage of his personal mirror, he checks himself in the washroom and grooms his hair and beard. He waffles back and forth over the still-fresh sucker-scars in his beard hair then decides to not comb over them. He intones his incantations to summon wisdom of the sages, ensuring that he'll understand all words spoken among the imperials... sometimes this alone is enough to provide insight with guards such as these.

He enters at dusk, two glowing motes floating gently above him, taking turns casually sweeping ahead and behind as he looks about. He leans on his ancient and gnarled staff, offering a friendly nod to the locals who's attention he attracts, ensuring his smile is enigmatic.

He makes his way back to the imperials, where the wizard sits, hopefully relaxed at day's end. He offers a formal gesture of introduction suitable to the Imperial custom. "Greetings and salutations, brother. It is well to provide introduction by both our custom and your own, when meeting thus -- I am glad to have come upon you and offer you peace. I am Allric, practitioner of the mysteries of light and air, walker of the eternal spiral, vested with the Order of Balcoleth by honor of the Ashen Throne." He bows sufficiently, dimming his motes to a suitable level and letting them hang over the table.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Well comrades, I'm going to see if I can hear any rumors about that hut. I'm going to the Stables and see if any of the stable hands have heard anything. I'll be staying there the night, see you all tomorrow morning.

Locating the Stables, I look for one who is doing some manual labor, like mucking out the stalls. I'll ask if I can stay the night if I help muck out the stalls. I strike up a conversation, and direct the conversation towards any mysterious events in the recent months. And has anyone heard of this hut we discovered. If he mentions any disappearances I'll mention that we encountered some adventurers out in the wilds (I will not say they were wolves) that had heard those rumors. if appropriate, I will mention that I know a witch-hunter (my mentor, Kane, who seeks out the downtrodden to assist them if he can).

Without Grim-Visage and clues, would it be Circles 4 vs Obs 4?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by Ludanto »

"Well met, brother," the man replies with a faint look of shock. In the common tongue, no less, though heavily accented. He bows as best he can while seated. "I had not expected to encounter other wise men in such a harsh land. I am honored and delighted to meet you. I am Shen, seeker of mysteries. What brings you to this tiny corner of the world, if I might ask?" He gestured at an open chair.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Meanwhile, over at the Stables, I've struck up a conversation with one of the stable hands, I think his name is Joe. +I've offered to help him muck out the stalls and brush down the horses if he will let me stay in the hay mow for the nights for the few days I'm in town.

Say Joe, while my friends and I were out adventurin', we ran acroiss some other adventurers who mentioned rumors of missing children. My mentor, Kane, the Witch-hunter, is a champion of the down-trodden, and he would definitely want me to investigate. Then one our way back to Falko, we lost our way for a few hours in the woods, and we ran across a mysterious hut, out in the middle of nowhere, where no hut should be. Have ye, or any of yer stable hands heard anything about it? Ye think there'n be any connection to the rumored missing children? Have ye heard who lives there?

Circles test vs Obs 1
Circles test:[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 2

Nice, 3 successes! I don't think I need to explode the 6's.

Since I've beaten the Obs by at least 2 or 3, depending on your roll, do we get any additional information, maybe another clue?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Ludanto »

"Job," he says, rolling his eyes.

"Don'tcha worry. Common mistake. An' I don't know about no children gone a-missin', but ya might try around the market tomorrow. Lots o' gossip around there." He shovels another spadeful of offal into his bucket.

But I done heard o' the witch! Ulizmila the hag o' woods! Great, great, granddaughter of Baba Yaga herself! The Deathless Witch Queen o' the North!

He stops suddenly, embarrassed by his sudden rant.

"T'wouldn't surprise me if that old hag stole them kids, it wouldn't."

"O' course, none've seen hide nor hair of her (praises be) for a more'n a generation."

"Still, I wouldn't be poking my loverly nose into her hut for love or money, I wouldn't. Wouldn't want to spend the rest o' my days as a newt, I wouldn't.

He ends with a shrug and returns to his work, whistling a jaunty tune.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Returning the borrowed pitchfork, I thank Job for his story. I'll be here for a couple more nights, if'n ye need more help shoveling or hauling water fer the horses, and if'n you or ye friends hear of anything else, ye know where ta be findin' me.

Musing to myself as I build as cozy sleeping spot between a couple hay bales up in the mow. Dragon-snake-cat things, witches, a sudden plague, and possible missing children. I'ma thinkin' they be all related somehows. HmmI've got an hour or two before nightfall, I'll go find Allric and the others ta give'm the news. 'sides, this stall-muckin' and hay dust has made me thirsty.

Putting the last couple of bales on top of my "hay fort", to hide it from casual eyes, I head over to the tavern to try to find Allric, Berry, and Aofie. I'm assuming Rabon is with his lady-friend.

If Allric isn't deep in conversation with his wizard friend, I'll fill him in, otherwise I'll find Berry and Aofie somewhere at the tavern and quietly give them the news.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

Shen the Imperial added to sheet!

Allric hears Thag's report. Once he is invited to sit, he gestures the others to join them when there is a pause to do so.
Ludanto wrote:"Well met, brother," the man replies with a faint look of shock. In the common tongue, no less, though heavily accented. He bows as best he can while seated. "I had not expected to encounter other wise men in such a harsh land. I am honored and delighted to meet you. I am Shen, seeker of mysteries. What brings you to this tiny corner of the world, if I might ask?" He gestured at an open chair.
Allric smiles benignly. "This corner of the world has forgotten more mysteries than we shall ever know. Such is the nature of time and the wilds. There is much here that I find of interest - the origins and properties of the pony-sized spiders, the cures to the Blackscour Taint, the legends of the Tatzelwurm which combines dragon, snake, and cat. The Deathless Witch Queen of the North, who resides in the woods is also a curiosity." He picks absently at the healing sucker wounds in his beard. "Most recently, we slew a number of horrors that beggar description. There is much that the world would have us unravel." He motions for Thag and the others to sit, if they wish. "What is it that brings the sleepless eye of the Imperium? Do you have suitable accommodations? I would be glad to join you for a few days to exchange what knowledge our Orders would permit."

I'm assuming we'll converse here and then retire for a week, copying a spell per the Mentor rules and your note on the other thread. Not sure how we're working that transition.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Ludanto »

"Somewhere in this cold place, is a hill that turns in on itself, like a spiral," Shen replies, "and beneath it is rumored to be arcane power of some sort. And there is the mystery that I seek."

"The others,"
he continues, nodding away from the table at no one in particular, "are passing through on some diplomatic business or another, I think. I am simply accompanying them for the safety that numbers enjoy."

Talk turns to matters dangerous and arcane, and when the gilded dwarven book is described, Shen shows extra interest.

"You know," he says hesitantly, the dirty business of trade making him uncomfortable, "were one to gift an item of that unique nature to an appreciative soul, it seems likely that they would share their secret techniques in return."

To be clear, he wants to trade the book for a spell.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

what's the spell, though? And for a unique item such as this, maybe two spells is more appropriate. ;) Rabon is happy to lend a hand haggling. I doubt shrewd appraisal-wose will count here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Marullus »

I need to clarify, then. So this ISN'T my normal level benefit (your mentor teaches you a spell)? I still need to go to the Ashen Throne for that? That makes him a "friend or hired instructor" instead? If this IS meant to serve as an easier conduit for the level benefit then we hit it off, he counts as a Mentor, and it doesn't cost.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by Ludanto »

Your mentor would certainly teach you a spell if you went to find him at the Ashen Throne. This is a guy who would be willing to act as your Mentor for a price. That's what your Circles roll came up with.

Also, while your Mentor would normally choose the spell you get, I'll let you pick this one, unless for some reason I don't think Shen would have that spell or teach it to you.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”