Session 4: Back to Falko

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 4: Back to Falko

#61 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Let's unload your 'shrooms, so we don;t need to carry them around any further.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Ludanto »

Go ahead and test Circles now.

This apparently hasn't happened yet:
You arrive at the little stall with sign bearing a representation of a mortar and pestle and some squiggles that are supposed to be roots—"Roots and Remedies", as it was described to you. The weary proprietor, Laurel, looks up from her work at the rear of the stall and starts with surprise.

"It's been so long! Almost thirty dead already! I thought surely the tatzelwurm had gotten you! Did you find them, the mushrooms?"

She looks like she might cry, or start shouting.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Go ahead and test Circles now..
Okay. Ob 5 is killer.
1) Everyone is allowed to help with their own Circles. Does everyone do so?
2) Since I specifically carried a mirror (i.e. tools), camped, and made myself impressive-looking to prepare for this can I get a +1D?

Allric puffs on his pipe, running his hands along his impeccably coifed beard. He allows a long pause to build between him and the rude guardsmen, the floating magical disc laden with treasures an ostentatious sign of magical power. Eventually he smiles benignly and replies to them - "I am sorry, but you seem to have misunderstood. Really, it is best for everyone if you simply inform me of where to find others of... Magical power, hmmm?" His voice is cool and authoritative, his posture erect as he gestures with a sweeping motion of his knobbed wizards staff to the others with him and to his casual display of power. "Our ways demand courtesy and often lead us not to... Carause and imbibe, as you suggest. Better I introduce myself appropriately to them, I believe, unless you need more... Convincing?" If they are suitably less rude, he also name-drops those who he thinks are in the area.

That what you were looking for?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Ludanto »

The guard seems taken aback. He grips his pike more tightly and grimaces awkwardly, exposing rotten teeth.

"Eh?" he queries astutely.

The other guard at the gate pins you with a wary squint.

No bonus, unfortunately.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon looks the guards over with an appraising eye, sizing them up to determine what might improve their disposition. What useless item donwe have that they'll be glad for?

Trying to find a +1D supply here. Would they want the helmet or the shield? Our soon-to-wasted rations? Anything else we have? Rabon would assist by manipulating them into seeing how valuable a dwarf-crafted artifact would be. Also, might he know them from his childhood here in Falko?
With this tactic, is it possible to help Allric with my shrewd-appraisal-wise?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Ludanto »

Rabon doesn't know this guy personally, but he knows his type. A skin of wine would definitely loosen him up.

Shrewd-appraisal doesn't help here, that's not what this is about, but it does give you insight into what would help.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

Since this is a Contacts Test: Everyone can help a Contacts roll with their own Contacts (which everyone has at least 1 in). We all know people, and knowing people is what helps (we're not really trying to convince/manipulate, technically). We're kind of forcing this by putting it in the Guard scene... They really should be just a lever to say, "Oh yeah, so-in-so is around." Everyone can help as simply as saying, "Hey, my friend XXX knows people around here and mentioned YYY. They been through here?"

Having the guards be absolute dicks is throwing me off; it makes it look more of a convincing/demanding thing and that's incongruent with it being a Contacts roll.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#68 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I'll add any help my clerical knowledge can provide.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Marullus »

Allric presses the conversation one more time and name-drops those who he thinks are in the area, having the others help with the same.

4D Contacts for Allric + 3D Help... 7D
Contacts 1/2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 6
Contacts 2/2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4
Hot Damn. That's an AMAZING roll. Six success against Ob 5.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon knows these guards came around because Allric knows Rabon, who knows Mer Rhion, who knows the midwife, who knows everyone. He nudges Allric knowingly. I know people.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Marullus »

:lol:

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Ludanto »

"Like I said," the guard continues with a shrug, "try the tavern. I saw a guy with a floppy hat for sure."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Ludanto's reply to the OOC discussion.

Re-posting Thag's IC text here:

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:IC: Falco sort of reminds me of home, in that it is a small place where everyone knows everyone, and strangers from other places are something unusual. I've never been here, but perhaps they have heard of my Mentor, if we want to do some name-dropping. .

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:IC: Falco sort of reminds me of home, in that it is a small place where everyone knows everyone, and strangers from other places are something unusual. I've never been here, but perhaps they have heard of my Mentor, if we want to do some name-dropping. .
Falco reminds me of home too, in that it's a small place where everyone knew my business 'cause I grew up here. But my gal, Mer Rhion is here still. I'll check out the herbalist and nab a drink with ya, but I've gotta go catch up with her t'night. See if we're still on good terms, an' all. Then I'm game for gettin' outta this mudhole.
happy to wait for answers from Ludanto before pressing on with mire rolls.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

Okay... If haggle rolls are now... 4D, Ob3
Haggle [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 4 [3d6] = 10
So, that's a failure with help from Rabon (insulated by wise) and Berry's Persuader. :cry: Sorry, Berry.

It gives a 9 result on the table:
Hard bargain: When buying something at the
market, take an extra item for the same price.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Here's my attempt at Haggling. I am also going to use by Grim-Visaged Trait, to try to corner the shopkeepers with a scowl, let them know I mean business.

Haggle-2 + +1D (Rabon's I Am Wise about Appraisals) + 1D (Berry's Persuasion, telling shopkeepers that their religious beliefs might be questioned) + 1D (Grim-Visaged trait, not taking "No" for an answer) = 5D for Obs 3

Haggling: [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 5

Success!

I may be a country yocal, but I do know how to deal with these merchants.

Now rolling on the Haggling table.

Haggling table: [3d6] = 13

So I believe I can select the value rolled, or choose the next higher on on the table.
13 Regular customer: Reduce the price of accommodations by one (minimum of 1).
14 Good find: Take double the value of one piece of kit or salvage traded in.

Since we are probably staying in the Flophouse or Stable, there is no need for the Regular customer result. So I will take the Good Find and get double the value for one item.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Marullus »

We are just waiting for Ludanto to give a consequence for the failed roll, then we are arriving at the Herbalist scene, right?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry. Things are busy around here.

It seems that Haggle, in its very narrow scope of use, has an in-built consequence, i.e. a penalty to the Haggle table.

Sooo, it looks like you lucked out. :)

You arrive at the little stall with sign bearing a representation of a mortar and pestle and some squiggles that are supposed to be roots—"Roots and Remedies", as it was described to you. The weary proprietor, Laurel, looks up from her work at the rear of the stall and starts with surprise.

"It's been so long! Almost thirty dead already! I thought surely the tatzelwurm had gotten you! Did you find them, the mushrooms?"

She looks like she might cry, or start shouting.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Marullus »

Allric gives her his best benevolent old man smile, "No worms, madam, but we did face giant wolves, spiders the size of ponies, foul magics, and alien creatures from the hells themselves. No small task, and we all bear scars of it," he points to the pucker wounds in his own beard. "But we heard your need was great. My friend here has the very mushrooms you seek." He gestures to Rabon.
Allric allows Rabon to appraise and negotiate any actual deal.

"Tell me, though, madam... What is the urgent need? What are you treating? You said...tazelwurms?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon smiles at the herbalist and lifts the small sack of mushrooms. Well meet, Ms. Laurel. As my friend mentions, we pert-near had t'go t'hell an' back t'get these fungi for ya. Surely
these must be worth more'n a sack of silver. We lost two of our party. Surely you'll wanna give us more recompense so's we might let their fam'blies know.
He hopes not to haggle, so much as to manipulate her emotions and guilt, leaving he no choice in the matter.

Isn't haggling really a specific type of manipulation?
He is trying to manipulate her into giving more money and giving Allric information about the mushrooms' uses/value.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”