Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower-Part II-29 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower-Part II-29 July 2021

#621 Post by Zhym »

Olaf (2936gp)
flawless pale blue tourmaline (1,000gp) (Reimbursement for giant STR potion)
100pp, Murky Golden Yellow Topaz (75gp), 5gp
1 Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Deep Green Chrysoprase (100gp)
25pp, 906gp
Added to sheet.

What do we think about this as a split?

Earc
Scroll (5 spells, 18 spell levels total) (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom) - Earc
Wizard Scroll (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom) - Earc
Spellbook bound in human flesh (Created) - Earc

Olaf
(4) Engraved Crossbow Bolts (Created, +3, extraplanar) - Olaf
Elf-Made Longbow (Imbued, 4,001xp)
Potion (Created)

Halfpint
Pair of Stylish Human-Sized Leather Boots (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom) - Halfpint?
Black Silk Cloth (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom)

Hereward
Tarnished Amulet of Silver with Bloodstone (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom) - Hereward

Funil
Sturdy Round Metal Shield w/Raven (64001xp, +2) - Funil

Drunil
Dwarven Warhammer (4,001xp, +1) - Drunil

Florian
Tyrell’s Feather-Plumed Helm (Imbued, 4,001xp) - Florian

Steve
Untarnished two-handed sword with flamberge blade (Created, +1, extraplanar, orcish)

Earc is making out like a bandit in that distribution, IMO (spellbooks and spell scrolls are pretty darn valuable). Olaf has more items than some, but the crossbow bolts are expendable, as is the potion, and he plans to destroy the longbow if what Carchannoi claimed about its enchantment is true. Also, getting an unidentified potion as part of his share after using the potion of giant strength seems sort of appropriate.

Should we split the 2,000 gp reward the same as the other expedition treasure? One share per PC, half shares for NPCs? That's 333 per PC, 167 per NPC.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#622 Post by Alethan »

Hereward can take the human skin spellbook and sell it/pawn it if he wants? Earn is more interestd in the scrolls than anything else. If there is some way to get a fairer distribution, with him keeping the two scrolls, then he's all for it.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#623 Post by Alethan »

Updated character sheet with following:
Earc (2936gp)
(2) Crates of magical inks (1000gp), Flawed Red Garnet (75gp), 5gp
1 Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Perfect Deep Blue Azurite (100gp)
25pp, 906gp
The reward division sounds good as well, Zhym.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#624 Post by Zhym »

333 from reward added to sheet.

And I agree that it would be useful to have Earc identify all the stuff he can. Heck, if Hereward doesn't object, providing free identifying services might justify Earc getting the spellbook.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#625 Post by Marullus »

No NPCs object to the magic item division. There isn't enough for everyone to have two, and they like what they got.

...it appears we didn't set payment rates for the NPCs before departing. Funil and Drunil are earning the tower, so I will let you get away with a 1/2 share of loot. (Otherwise dwarves usually demand a full share)

For Florian, though, the church thread specifies he demands a full share (as do all NPC clerics of Baudh). I used to say that Baudh clerics demand an extra share of gold go to the church, but have backed off that, allowing that the "share for Baudh" comes from their full-share demand.

Steve was foisted on you and was level 1. He is happy with his half share.

So, coin needs adjustment so Florian gets more.

All that said, I suggested you divide the loot first and then go to the ArchDuke in a separate thread. My expectation was that you divide the 2000gp among the four PCs evenly, not going back to hired-help. If you divvy to the NPCs, you'll get a +1 on the relationship roll at this thread's end.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#626 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:And I agree that it would be useful to have Earc identify all the stuff he can. Heck, if Hereward doesn't object, providing free identifying services might justify Earc getting the spellbook.
What is Earc's order of precidence? :) I will say what you identify in a month.

(Zhym - Fingers already used up Piedmont's time for August. I will put the dragon sword next on the list, but the clock needs to advance. You also need to pay him. :) )

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#627 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:

Halfpint
Pair of Stylish Human-Sized Leather Boots (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom) - Halfpint?
Black Silk Cloth (Created; Hagaseth's Idiom)
Thats fine with me...they were about the only things she possibly could think to use. Preferably one of them can be identified fairly early.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#628 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote: For Florian, though, the church thread specifies he demands a full share (as do all NPC clerics of Baudh). I used to say that Baudh clerics demand an extra share of gold go to the church, but have backed off that, allowing that the "share for Baudh" comes from their full-share demand.
So, coin needs adjustment so Florian gets more.
Oh poop. Ummm... that means fully adjusting all of the numbers, because a share changes value when calculating for five full shares and three half shares.

I'll try to do that today, but anyone who has already adjusted their character sheet will have to change that back in preparation for the readjustment.
Marullus wrote: What is Earc's order of precidence? :) I will say what you identify in a month.
In order...
Boots
Amulet
Bow
Black Silk Cloth
Potion
Sword

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#629 Post by Zhym »

I think that's actually easy to adjust. Instead of four full shares of 2936 and four half shares of 1468.5, we have five full shares of 2710 and half shares of 1356. So subtract 226 gp from the shares of Earc, Olaf, Halfpint, and Hereward; subtract 112 gp and 5 sp from Funil, Drunil, and Steve, and add 1241 gp, 5 sp to Florian. Everyone has enough gp and sp in their allotments to make that work.

I'll go subtract 226 from Olaf, then add 167 from him getting a full 1/4 share of the reward instead of 1/6. That's a net of -59 gp.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#630 Post by Marullus »

In order...
Boots
Amulet
Bow
Black Silk Cloth
Potion
Sword
Magical Research Checks [1d20] = 12[1d20] = 9[1d20] = 9[1d20] = 4
Magical Research Checks [1d20] = 10[1d20] = 7[1d20] = 7[1d20] = 2

Halfpint has acquired Hagaseth's Boots of Levitation. By clicking the heels together three times, the wearer can levitate for an indefinite period of time (until she touches down). She can mentally directs movement up or down as much as 20 feet each round. She cannot move horizontally, but could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half base land speed).

Hereward has acquired the tarnished amulet of silver with a polished bloodstone in its center from Guhra's corpse, which is determined to be an Amulet versus Crystal Balls and ESP. He is now immune to scrying and mind-reading effects of that type.

Olaf has acquired the longbow. It is confirmed to be Carchannoi's longbow, stained by the dark elf's idiom. Earc confirms that it is named Aranaë and is +1, +2 vs Dwarves.

Halfpint has acquired the Black Silk Cloth. Earc discovers that it is steeped in potent dimensional magic. When spreading it out flat on a hard surface, it becomes a Portable Hole. The cloth is 6' across and assumes a depth of 10' when active. it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. This hole can be picked up from inside or out by simply taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Either way, the entrance disappears, but anything inside the hole remains. The only air in the hole is that which enters when the hole is opened. It contains enough air for 1 turn. The cloth does not accumulate weight even if its hole is filled.

Olaf has acquired a Potion of Water Breathing.

Steve has acquired the untarnished two-handed sword with a flamberge blade. The blade is manufactured by extraplanar orcs, and it belonged to a fiendish commander of their legions. It is normally a +1 sword. When the words "horiacej smrti" are said in orcish, the sword is engulfed in flame. When thus enchanted, it becomes +2 vvs regeneration, +3 vs cold creatures, +4 vs undead.The flames provide the same amount of light as a torch, and can be used to ignite anything flammable.

That uses up all of Earc's research time.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#631 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint gleefully tries to prove Earc's research true regarding the boots, wondering how hidden she would be, hanging out 15 feet above the ground...

ok, I am not grasping the details of the cloth. Can someone give me some use cases?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#632 Post by Alethan »

I don't think so, Zhym. Instead of 12 shares (1460.5gp/share), with four people getting 2 shares and four people getting 1 share, it's 13 shares (1348.2gp/share), with five people getting 2 shares and 3 people getting 1 share.

The change from one person getting a half share to that person getting a full share affects all shares and thus all persons in the party.

But no worries; I've run all the numbers again. I did drop a few remainder silvers and coppers here and there to make it easier. We'll consider those coins lost during the transfer from place to place.

Earc (Full Share - 2,696gp)
(2) Crates of magical inks (1000gp), 80gp
Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Banded Black Onyx (100gp)
Flawed Red Garnet (75gp), 25gp
816gp

Olaf (Full Share - 2,696gp)
flawless pale blue tourmaline (1,000 GP) (Giant STR potion reimbursement)
100pp, 80gp
Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Deep Green Chrysoprase (100gp)
Green Zircon (75gp), 25gp
816gp

Halfpint (Full Share - 2,696gp)
100pp, 80gp
Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Perfect Deep Blue Azurite (100gp)
Murky Golden Yellow Topaz (75gp), 25gp
816gp

Hereward (Full Share - 2,696gp)
100pp, 80gp
Ruby (300gp), 300gp
Banded Black Onyx (75gp), Large Striated Green Malachite (25gp)
White Chalcedony (75gp), 25gp
816gp

Florian (NPC, Full Share - 2,696gp)
100pp, 80gp
Ruby (300gp), 300gp
100gp
100gp
556gp, 2600sp

Funil (NPC, Half Share - 1348gp)
Golden plates, forks, knives, spoons, cups (540gp)
Ruby (300gp)
Delicate Platinum Chain Necklace (50gp)
Dull Deep Blue Lapis Lazuli (10gp), 40gp
4080sp

Drunil (NPC, Half Share - 1348gp)
Golden plates, forks, knives, spoons, cups (540gp)
Ruby (300gp)
Gold Chain Necklace (40gp), 10gp
Blue Azurite (10gp), 40gp
4080sp

Steve (NPC, Half Share - 1348gp)
540gp
Ruby (300gp)
50gp
50gp
86ep, 2360sp

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#633 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote: ok, I am not grasping the details of the cloth. Can someone give me some use cases?
It's a portable hole.

You spread it out, put shit in it, fold it up and put it in your pocket. Then you go somewhere else, spread it out, and take shit out of it. But it weighs nothing, even when it's completely full.

Like large amounts of treasure, thousands of copper pieces and silver pieces, for example. Volume is... whatever the volume is for a 10' tall cylinder that is 6' in diameter.

V=πr2h=π·32·10≈282.74334

So... about 282 cubic feet of volume.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#634 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote: Steve has acquired the untarnished two-handed sword with a flamberge blade. The blade is manufactured by extraplanar orcs, and it belonged to a fiendish commander of their legions. It is normally a +1 sword. When the words "horiacej smrti" are said in orcish, the sword is engulfed in flame. When thus enchanted, it becomes +2 vvs regeneration, +3 vs cold creatures, +4 vs undead.The flames provide the same amount of light as a torch, and can be used to ignite anything flammable.
Damn. That's one heck of a sword.
Marullus wrote: Olaf has acquired the longbow. It is confirmed to be Carchannoi's longbow, stained by the dark elf's idiom. Earc confirms that it is named Aranaë and is +1, +2 vs Dwarves.
??? Why would a player enchant his weapon to be against a creature type he would have few instances to use it against?? Also, that sucks... maybe Olaf can take the sword and Steve the first level mercenary can take the bow?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#635 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:
Marullus wrote: Olaf has acquired the longbow. It is confirmed to be Carchannoi's longbow, stained by the dark elf's idiom. Earc confirms that it is named Aranaë and is +1, +2 vs Dwarves.
??? Why would a player enchant his weapon to be against a creature type he would have few instances to use it against?? Also, that sucks... maybe Olaf can take the sword and Steve the first level mercenary can take the bow?
I am guessing Olaf being a dwarf would not be that excited about letting a dwarf killing weapon go to another pc, rather than burning it from the game.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#636 Post by Zhym »

Alethan wrote:I don't think so, Zhym. Instead of 12 shares (1460.5gp/share), with four people getting 2 shares and four people getting 1 share, it's 13 shares (1348.2gp/share), with five people getting 2 shares and 3 people getting 1 share.

The change from one person getting a half share to that person getting a full share affects all shares and thus all persons in the party.
I don't think your numbers quite add up.

In the previous split, we had four people getting 2936 each and four getting 1468.5 each. That's a total of 17,618.
Your new split has five people getting 2696 and three getting 1348. That's a total of 17,514.

If we divide 17,618 into 6.5 equal shares (with NPCs, except Florian, getting half shares), that results in a full share of about 2710 and a half share of 1356. 5 x 2710 + 3 x 1356 = 17,618, which is the same total as in your original distribution. We can adjust the amounts everyone gets just by changing the number of GP everyone is allocated, without changing everything else. Those are the adjustments I listed above.

The results are the same if you think in terms of 13 shares (of which the PCs get two) instead of 6.5.
onlyme wrote:I am guessing Olaf being a dwarf would not be that excited about letting a dwarf killing weapon go to another pc, rather than burning it from the game.
Quite right. It's also put him in even better with the Blackhelm clan.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#637 Post by Marullus »

Alethan wrote:
onlyme wrote: ok, I am not grasping the details of the cloth. Can someone give me some use cases?
It's a portable hole.

You spread it out, put shit in it, fold it up and put it in your pocket. Then you go somewhere else, spread it out, and take shit out of it. But it weighs nothing, even when it's completely full.

Like large amounts of treasure, thousands of copper pieces and silver pieces, for example. Volume is... whatever the volume is for a 10' tall cylinder that is 6' in diameter.

V=πr2h=π·32·10≈282.74334

So... about 282 cubic feet of volume.
That's one easy use and likely it's intended purpose. For the record, that would hold:
3,400,920gp or
1,847,100sp or
1,576,380cp

Google "uses for a portable hole" and you will find many more. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#638 Post by Zhym »

Portable holes are awesome. In addition to the obvious use case of holding a literal ton (actually, more like 150 tons!) of loot, it can be a handy hiding place as long as the air holds out. Or a portable pit trap, if you can find something to put over it.

If you need more ideas, go watch a Road Runner cartoon.

Just be careful about what you put in them. IIRC, sharp objects are bad, and anything that also screws around with dimensionality is really bad.

I'm totally jealous of your new portable hole.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#639 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:I think that's actually easy to adjust. Instead of four full shares of 2936 and four half shares of 1468.5, we have five full shares of 2710 and half shares of 1356. So subtract 226 gp from the shares of Earc, Olaf, Halfpint, and Hereward; subtract 112 gp and 5 sp from Funil, Drunil, and Steve, and add 1241 gp, 5 sp to Florian. Everyone has enough gp and sp in their allotments to make that work.
Ok, just go with this then.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#640 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:
I'm totally jealous of your new portable hole.[/ooc]

Yeah, Halfpint has struck gold on several of her magical things. Now she just needs to decide if she wants to give up her free-agency religion and swear to those silly baudhies for a cool summer cottage.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”