OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#801 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Can Sky see Klilxuac? Looking at the map, it looks like she can.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#802 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Can Sky see Klilxuac? Looking at the map, it looks like she can.
Absolutely!
Sightline.jpg
Sightline.jpg (146.17 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
[/ooc]
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#803 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Thanks for the notes. Would Sky have advantage to hit hargrem? He's both prone and unconscious. Also, what would be his AC right now?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#804 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Thanks for the notes. Would Sky have advantage to hit hargrem? He's both prone and unconscious. Also, what would be his AC right now?
Hit Hargrem. To wake him up?

If so, it would be a normal attack... from where Sky is standing. If Sky moves next to Hargrem, then yes, the attack would have advantage.

From a range, you'd have advantage because he's unconscious ("Attack rolls against the creature have advantage"), but disadvantage because he's prone, and because you're at range ("An attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the attack roll has disadvantage.")

The two cancel each other out.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#805 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok, thanks. I chose to try and help the odds. Sorry.

Nobody tell Hargrem that Sky shot him. :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#806 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Ok, thanks. I chose to try and help the odds. Sorry.

Nobody tell Hargrem that Sky shot him. :lol:
Well played. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#807 Post by Shaede »

Sweet! Well done! So, since Sky is higher in Init, does Hargrem have a turn this round?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#808 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Sweet! Well done! So, since Sky is higher in Init, does Hargrem have a turn this round?
He would, yes.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#809 Post by Shaede »

I posted Hargrem's Actions. He cast Bane. If Bradford is dead, he'd cast Bane on one of the other living blights.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#810 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I posted Hargrem's Actions. He cast Bane. If Bradford is dead, he'd cast Bane on one of the other living blights.
Noted.

I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle your action in the even Belak was killed before your turn, so this helps. Thanks.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#811 Post by Shaede »

Oh, I see what you are waiting on now. I thought you were waiting on Hargrem. Yeah, if Belak is dead, Hargrem may do something different, especially if Sky is knocked out.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#812 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:Oh, I see what you are waiting on now. I thought you were waiting on Hargrem. Yeah, if Belak is dead, Hargrem may do something different, especially if Sky is knocked out.
The game has completely shifted. Things looked kind of grim at the end of round 6; but now looks like the party is on the verge of complete victory in round 7.

Sky reviving both Klilxuac and Hargrem in the same turn was genius.

Kelben doing the exact amount of damage needed to kill Sir Braford (who had been a wrecking machine) was huge!

Now, Klilxuac has a better-than-average chance of eliminating Belak.

It's a crazy moment.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#813 Post by dmw71 »

I just wanted to draw attention to a new Feedback topic I created.

Feel free to use it, or not. But it's there.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#814 Post by dmw71 »

Another more general announcement. Apologies in advance for the many tangents which are sure to litter the below, as I can already tell my train of thought is ready to get derailed, repeatedly.

So, my paid subscription with Roll20 expired a couple months ago, and while I did pay to extend it for one month, but I'm not planning on extending it again. I still take issue with many of Nolan's decisions (Roll20 co-founder).

Fantasy Grounds, a competing VTT, announced (on April Fools' Day) that they're finally launching their much anticipated a Kickstarter for their Unity upgrade in a month, or May 1st, or this Wednesday. Now, I'm not a gamer, and don't really understand what Unity is (other than a gaming engine), but it's supposedly a big deal.

Apparently I purchased a standard license for Fantasy Ground back in February of 2016 but never used it as it is kind of a pain to get to work online (where as Roll20 only exists online), and settled on Roll20 instead. Plus, Fantasy Ground does not support dynamic lighting, which is one of the biggest features I look for. Well, dynamic lighting (or line of sight) is being introduced with their new release (and the demo of it I saw looks better than how Roll20 manages it; I like how the full obstacle (e.g. bolder) that ultimately will obstruct vision is in view, instead of the object itself being obstructed as well).

Anyway, I installed Fantasy Grounds over the weekend, and while it pushes the limitations of my now oldish laptop, I did get it to work; not the online part, but the actual application. (Sadly, I have a nagging fear that my laptop won't be able to handle their cool new upgrade... but we'll see.)

Regardless, after a lot of prominent 5e content makers jumped ship and left Roll20 for Fantasy Grounds, they've created YouTube videos about working with Fantasy Grounds and... man, after watching and following along with one of them... holy crap! Fantasy Grounds almost certainly has a steeper learning curve than does Roll20, but it is actually really impressive in what it does. So much so it's almost making me re-think my D&D Beyond investment (which I love), but not quite.

It makes me sick when I stop and think about it, but I've invested over $600 into Roll20 since 2014 when I joined, but I'm ready to start all over with Fantasy Grounds.

Almost.

Aside from the standard license (which I purchased in 2016), I dipped my toes into the water by purchasing the Player's Handbook in Fantasy Grounds yesterday. It really does make character generation a breeze.

But that's the thing. I really need to sit down and assess my needs. Fantasy Grounds for actual gameplay will be great! But, I've played exactly ONE actual game online in the five years I've been a Roll20 member, so do I really need to commit to all the rules (which support gameplay), or just map tiles and tokens?

Either way, I'm pretty firmly convinced that I'm going to switch platforms. Gradually.

A couple other cool things about Fantasy Grounds: The amount of content available, and their prices. Fantasy Grounds pretty much has every sourcebook and adventure/module available, where as the Roll20 catalog is severely limited. I was looking, and they even have the 2e rulebooks built in and available for purchase which I think is outstanding! I almost certainly won't be investing into that ruleset financially (at least not right away), but Roll20 and even D&D Beyond aren't touching older editions. Plus, content on Fantasy Grounds is less expensive.
Books, modules, etc... on Roll20 are full price (e.g. MM = $49.95), where as they're cheaper on Fantasy Grounds (e.g. MM = $29.99). The individual token packs are even a buck cheaper on Fantasy Grounds than they are Roll20 ($4.99 vs $5.99).

I've only experimented with character creation (why, I'm not sure?) so far in Fantasy Grounds, and have zero clue how to make maps (which is pretty much the exclusive reason I even use VTTs), so don't expect an immediate transition.

But do expect one.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#815 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Not trying to backseat GM, but we may need everything we can get. I think Sharwyn is under the effects of bane, which makes her subtract a d4 from saving throws.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#816 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Did both the NPC's with us die? I thought Erky (or whatever the gnome prisoner's name was) was still alive?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#817 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Not trying to backseat GM, but we may need everything we can get. I think Sharwyn is under the effects of bane, which makes her subtract a d4 from saving throws.
No, you're absolutely right. She would have failed this save, and taken this damage.

I've updated my records.
GreyWolfVT wrote:Did both the NPC's with us die? I thought Erky (or whatever the gnome prisoner's name was) was still alive?
Erky died here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#818 Post by Shaede »

<Fingers Crossed> :?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#819 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Did Erky die, or is he just unconscious?
viewtopic.php?p=404528#p405023[quote]Sky shivers, and her fur puffs out to warm her. "That book had a chilling plot, huh Klilxuac?" Sky quips, trying to lighten the mood in what is becoming a tense situation. She moves to tend to Erky, resisting the urge to paw and lick at the wounds, and administer actual care. The "other" gnome remains unconscious, but his condition appears to have stabilized.[/quote]That doesn't help us, in any case. :lol:

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#820 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Did Erky die, or is he just unconscious?
viewtopic.php?p=404528#p405023
You're welcome to work your way back to where his unconscious form was left to see if he's still there... and, if so, if he's still alive. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”