OOC I: The Sunless Citadel

DM: Dave
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC I

#821 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ok I knew our kobold spokesman died upstairs just forgot the only other help we had was down. Seriously questioning how this is meant for a low number of player's. Guess it's all depending on luck of the roll.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#822 Post by Shaede »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Ok I knew our kobold spokesman died upstairs just forgot the only other help we had was down. Seriously questioning how this is meant for a low number of player's. Guess it's all depending on luck of the roll.
I think we got this!

GreyWolfVT

#823 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Shaede wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Ok I knew our kobold spokesman died upstairs just forgot the only other help we had was down. Seriously questioning how this is meant for a low number of player's. Guess it's all depending on luck of the roll.
I think we got this!
Kelben doesn't but I'm glad some of us can hit. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#824 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Seriously questioning how this is meant for a low number of player's. Guess it's all depending on luck of the roll.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

I think it's actually quite balanced. This has been a truly back-and-forth contest which has gone on for, what, 8 rounds now?

Belak got lucky with his Entangle spell.
Sky did well with her Sleep spell.

Things looked terribly grim a couple rounds ago, then appeared to swing completely in your favor, and now appear to be pretty even (but still probably favoring you guys).

I would think, for a boss fight, you would want a challenge and not another pushover encounter.

I think it's been great!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#825 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm referencing it as a whole Kelben almost died more than once same with some other pc's. Guess it's more like basic or original dnd, than my experiences with say 1e or 2e.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#826 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I'm referencing it as a whole Kelben almost died more than once same with some other pc's. Guess it's more like basic or original dnd, than my experiences with say 1e or 2e.
It's interesting to hear this. I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

As for me, I'm going to respectfully disagree. I've actually been impressed at how balanced I found the module. There were tricks, traps, social encounters, and combats that have varied in difficulty. I think it's been great.

An AD&D rogue at 1st level would have an equally low AC and far fewer hit points. They'd be significantly weaker. Even in 5e, characters in the 1-3 level range are still vulnerable, but there are more (and better) opportunities for healing. I'll have to go back and check, but I believe you guys entered the final boss fight with less than full health, spell slots, class/race features, etc.... If so, that would have made a big difference as well.

Regardless, with the exception of a few encounters, you guys have largely coasted through the module. Characters have been knocked unconscious, but there have been zero deaths, and there hasn't been a need to constantly flee and return to town.

It probably also makes a difference that I played the NPC's tough. Belak and Sharwyn used their spells effectively (Entange, Cure Wounds, Shillelagh, Sleep). Plus, in retrospect, I think I might have screwed up Sir Braford's weapon, which also upped the difficulty level.

Still, you guys are all still alive (probably; you're not sure the status of Klilxuac), and on the verge of defeating the final challenge.

I'm really hoping the next module in this series plays as well.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#827 Post by Shaede »

I personally think the module is just fine with the party that we have. There were a couple of things that didn't go our way so far in this fight. Specifically, two of Hargrem's heals could not fire due to line of sight. Also, we did not get a long rest allowing us to recover all the spell slots and be healed completely. The Sleep spell was perfectly timed, and I am glad it worked out. Now, we just have to finish these guys off.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#828 Post by Scott308 »

Also, a lot of effort was spent attacking the tree. Not saying it was bad strategy, because you don't know what effect it had or would have had on anyone, but odds are good if all attacks were focused on those who were attacking us, we would have gotten through this already.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#829 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I guess the tree attack is partially my fault I did suggest burning it I thought it would free the two or maybe kill the blights. But I still feel like we needed more than 4 of us. When the npc's were with us it did help a bit. Just my opinion.

GreyWolfVT

#830 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Entirely different question could Kelben help free Hargrem? Or should I focus on checking on our dragonborn or Sky?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#831 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Entirely different question could Kelben help free Hargrem? Or should I focus on checking on our dragonborn or Sky?
You act first, you're not based with any opponents, so you're welcome to attempt anything you want. ;)

To summarize the situation, there are only three targets left: Sharwyn (who, you can tell, is on the verge of death, and is currently engaged in melee with Sky), and two twig blights (both still sleeping).

From where you ended your turn, you can see Klilxuac, who's been unconscious for a few rounds now. You have no idea his condition.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#832 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright. I'll do what I can roller pending.

GreyWolfVT

#833 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Kelben steps around the druid nodding his thanks to Hargrem and tries to attack Sharwyn.

Rapier To Hit: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24, Damage: [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3
Sky, you're up next.

This (obviously) isn't an official update, but this attack kills Sharwyn (the daughter of the woman that hired you. :lol: )

Please plan your action accordingly.
Well not much else we can do she's part tree and trying to kill us.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#834 Post by Shaede »

I’ll update in the morning.

I just had a thought, with this wrapping up. If you want to do Forge of Fury next, I am game. Though, I wonder if we can change our characters? Also, I think we definitely need one or two more PCs

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#835 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:I just had a thought, with this wrapping up. If you want to do Forge of Fury next, I am game. Though, I wonder if we can change our characters? Also, I think we definitely need one or two more PCs
Yes, my plan is to run this group through Forge of Fury next. The whole hardcover, actually, assuming the interest remains and you all survive. ;)

As for changing characters, you're totally welcome to do so. According to the module, Forge of Fury is:
  • "... designed for four 3rd-level player characters. They can advance to 5th level with good play."

So, despite the big battle you're in now, we'll remain at (or start at) 3rd level to begin the next module. But, like I did in this Sunless Citadel game, I'll probably advance you all to 4th relatively quickly.

As for a fifth player, that's actually already done. Please welcome Gerrin to the game. I've added him now, so he can begin discussing character concepts and ultimately creating a character, but he won't be starting until this one is officially done -- which, after the last round, will be very, very soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#836 Post by dmw71 »

In the event you do abandon your current character and start anew, you'll still start at 3rd level.

I actually just added a 'Character Generation' post with the rules to follow in creating a character for this game.

I may also be added a few new house rules... :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#837 Post by dmw71 »

In D&D Beyond, I can currently share my content in up to three campaigns. I'm running four.

Since this group has been pretty stable, I've had content sharing disabled in this game for some time now. But, because we're adding a fifth player, and potentially redoing some characters once this current module ends, I've enabled it here again.

For now.

It's going to be an ongoing balancing act, but we'll manage.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#838 Post by Shaede »

If we do start with a new character, what about everything (loot wise) that we've gained in Sunless Citadel?

I've been playing around with a ghostwise druid/rogue concept. He would be using the Inquisitive Rogue archetype from Xanathar's. I've added him to the dnd beyond campaign for you to take a look.

GreyWolfVT

#839 Post by GreyWolfVT »

If anything I may add a class to Kelben but not make a new character.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#840 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede wrote:If we do start with a new character, what about everything (loot wise) that we've gained in Sunless Citadel?

I've been playing around with a ghostwise druid/rogue concept. He would be using the Inquisitive Rogue archetype from Xanathar's. I've added him to the dnd beyond campaign for you to take a look.
As far as any loot, feel free to transfer it from one character to the next.

I haven't even taken a look yet and I'm sure it's fine. I'll double-check everything, but assume he's safe to play.

You just let me know what you want to play.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”