OOC Discussion and Table Talk II

Zhym
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: OOC Discussion and Table Talk II

#401 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I kinda already feel like an observer my spell choices were not exactly right for this type of "foe" I have spell caster's remorse. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by Zhym »

I'm not sure it's spell choice as much as it has been unlucky magic resistance rolls (and a reasonable reticence to cast when certain spells can go really haywire). I think Odilo has some useful spells, especially if he thinks creatively.

GreyWolfVT

#403 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well I have thought about using say disintegrate on the door however I'm a bit hesitant with how spells can as you said go "haywire" or awry.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Rex »

Is cure critical wounds 3d8+3? I don't have access to my rules right now and was going to post reading the scroll on Tanner.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Zhym »

Yup. 3d8+3.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by Norjax »

I've updated my last post with a potential action.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:Hallagad waits to see if Rool has any luck. If not, he’ll shoulder charge the door.
FYI, I already gave Hallagad his attempt. The rule with barred doors is that a PC only gets on try to bust it open.

It amazes me how much a simple barred door can flummox high-level characters. At least until they bring out the potions of gaseous form and disintegrate spells, anyway.

Risdac knows knock, but he'd have to get into the room first.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by AleBelly »

Ah, I forgot he had the first attempt. Time for plan C!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Zhym »

Well, Rool did manage to get into the room. Unfortunately, there aren't any lights on.

I'm not sure why that matters when Rool doesn't have eyes in his current form, but, hey, magic.

GreyWolfVT

#410 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Lol

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by Urson »

It is pitch black. He is likely to be inhaled by a grue.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT

#412 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Just an FYI I am taking the next 3 days off from work to take my family out to do some more stuff before schools starts so I likely will not be posting much or near a computer all that often for the next 2-3 days.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Zhym »

Norjax wrote:Is there enough light coming through cracks so Gaseous Rool can maintain his bearing?
What do you mean? He's not getting dizzy, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean. He could come back the way he came, and he could probably float around and get the general outlines of the room that way (walls, at least).

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by Norjax »

Zhym wrote:
Norjax wrote:Is there enough light coming through cracks so Gaseous Rool can maintain his bearing?
What do you mean? He's not getting dizzy, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean. He could come back the way he came, and he could probably float around and get the general outlines of the room that way (walls, at least).
His bearing relative to where he floated in. I'm not sure what senses are available in gaseous form.

Using any trickle of light as a navigation point, he will float around the room.

Would he get a sense of the room and its contents by 'bouncing off' solid objects? Sort of a rudimentary sonar?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Zhym »

I think he can sense where walls are because they block his progress. He'll just flow around anything significantly less sizable and substantial than a wall, so he won't be able to detect that.

IOW, he can get the dimensions of the room, but that's about it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Zhym »

I believe the phrase for this week (and possibly next) is, "Holy crap, I'm busy." I probably won't get a chance to update until this weekend. Sorry about that.

In the meantime, if anyone who hasn't already posted wants to declare actions, please do.

Thanks!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#417 Post by Scott308 »

I'm heading out of town for a wedding and will be gone Friday to Monday. I will try to check the boards, but feel free to NPC Risdac if he is slowing things down.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by Zhym »

Sorry about the extended delay, everyone. We're back.

A couple of notes.

First, although I was planning on retiring the Unseen Servant one way or another, that's a legit result of two rolls. I rolled to see who would meet the monster's gaze, and I rolled a saving throw. Khogeki needed a 10. He rolled a 1. Result: dead monk. Turns out there is something that can kill a high-level monk. Who knew?

Second, I'm using a modified version the rules for the Dracolisk on when a character meets a deadly gaze. It's a table based on what you're doing:

Completely Surprised: 10 in 10
Surprised: 8 in 10
Viewing monster: 6 in 10
Attacking normally: 4 in 10
Avoiding gaze: 2 in 10

If the monster is size L, subtract 1 from the target numbers above (because it's easier to avoid a monster's gaze when the monster is bigger). If it's size S, add 1.

If you meet the monster's gaze, then you have to roll a saving throw v. death to avoid, well, dying. Magical bonuses from rings of protection etc. apply, but wisdom bonuses do not.

You can avoid any chance of meeting a monster's gaze by blinding yourself, but you'll fight at a -4 attack penalty. Avoiding the creature's gaze incurs a -2 penalty but also has a chance of accidentally meeting the gaze. Darkness works like blindness except for races with infravision. They have the standard chances above of meeting the monster's gaze.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by ravenn4544 »

What if we cast 'raise dead' on our beloved monk friend? :) He and his 4 attacks/round could tag along for a while yet, then, right? :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Rex »

I am not sure casting raise dead in hell is a wise move considering some of the spell casting issues we have had.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”