Goode Dogge Artefact and Curiositie Shoppe

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Goode Dogge Artefact and Curiositie Shoppe

#1 Post by Zhym »

A squat one-story building of sturdy dwarvish stone, this shop sits in a string of row-houses along the market street of Gaul. A sign over the door labels it with artistic calligraphy letters - "Goode Dogge Artefact and Curiositie Shoppe." A bell over the door tinkles as you enter. Inside is a spacious shop, well-lit with natural light streaming in through strategic window slits high above. An impressive domed stone roof stretches up to 30' above the floor in the center, the round floor made of exquisitely-laid mosaic tile. Small pillars and stands hold interesting trinkets and curios for the curious eye, stationed strategically around the floor.

A frecked, red-haired girl manages the long polished marble counter along the rear wall, a solid-looking lockable iron door behind her the only exit to the chamber beyond. Alyse greets you with a smile. "What is it that inspires your curiosity today?" she lilts.

A sign behind the counter explains the services offered:
  • All services and prices negotiable with the proprietor, Mr. McGraw, Esq.
  • Reading languages: We can aid you in understanding your undescipherable texts. 50 gp per item.
  • Scrying: With the aid of an experienced diviner, see and hear any specified person, place or object. A ten minute session for only 500gp 300gp, be they in the southlands or the north.
  • Lock picking and trap detection: 100 gp per lock or 20% of the contents of the locked item. Buyer chooses which before the item is opened.
  • Detect curse: Know if your items are faulty before handling them and experiencing unfortunate ends! 200gp allows identification of any cursed items in one lot of goods.
  • Consignment: Place your extraneous items on display and we'll negotiate with interested buyers on your behalf. Seller sets both a minimum and desired price. Shop collects 10% of final sale price. Buy-back fee is 20% of the asking price or 10% of the assessed value, whichever is higher. Cursed items are held on consignment for 50% of final sale, due to inherent risk in handling them, and the shop reserves the right to dispose of them if unsaleable.
  • Depository: 5% of assessed value charged on deposit; no fee on withdrawal; 1 gp/week service fee. Proprietor may convert copper or silver coins at will to gold and platinum, at the shop's expense.
  • Gems: the shop will purchase gemstones at 90% of assessed value if sufficient funds are available to do so.
  • Ownership of stored items for either Consignment or Depository transfers to the shop if the depositor dies intestate or abandons the property. Property is considered abandoned when the depositor stops paying service fees. Depositor may pay up to three months worth of deposit fees in advance.
Note: To simplify accounting and avoid paradoxes, all transactions in this shop will take place as of the current game date (i.e., no backdating).

Gems and Jewelry Available for Purchase:
  • Diamond (1,000 gp ea.) (2)
  • Dwarven jewelry (500 gp ea.) (2)
  • Red-flecked green bloodstone (100 gp)
  • Small golden brown tiger eye (25 gp)
Other Items Currently Available / Displayed:
  • Magic scroll (4 spells), 1,500gp
    (Distort Distance (5); Protection from Evil (1); Conjure Elemental (5); Fear (4))
  • Magic scroll (5 spells), 1,700gp
    (Passwall (5); Wall of Ice (4); Protection from Normal Missiles (3); Massmorph (4); Shocking Grasp (1))
Sold!
  • Ellurian steel bastard sword which glows faintly with its own soft yellow light (1,000gp or best offer)
  • A mighty rounded heater shield, the edges embellished with double rows of metal studs and decorated with feather-like metalwork. (3lbs, +3, Ellurian-make) (1,200gp)
  • A large clear diamond (1,000gp)
  • a massive blue-steeled two-handed sword with a flamberge blade (3,000gp)
  • Magic scroll (4 spells: Invisible Stalker (6); Magic Aura (1); Continual Light (2); Dancing Lights (1)), 1,000gp
Last edited by Zhym on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Goode Dogge Artefact and Curiositie Shoppe

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

On a well deserved break from transcribing spells, Winnie stops by the new shop. Do you have anything that could shield me from harm? Perhaps a Ring of Protection?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

The structure is still under construction when Winnie stops by. Fingers happens to be near, watching construction.

"Um, yeah. I, well, we don't have much yet," he admits. "Unless you want a keen crystal ball? Mostly I'm planning on doing consignments and purchases, when I can afford them, until I can build up a regular stock."

OOC: The shoppe is due to open on 28 July. Fingers can do non-inventory-affecting services until he leaves town on 23 July, but he can't buy anything or accept items for consignment until the shop is open.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

28 July 2021
The inks were divided. Bianca got 8 spell levels worth and she now has 6. That is 300gp in remaining value.

Alyse smiles warmly, she inspects the box to assess it and nods. "That's a 15gp depository fee, plus one gold per week. I would suggest paying a month ahead in case your expedition runs longer than you'd expect. Might I see the gems?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Bluehorse »

misunderstood but that is actually a pleasant surprise, weight wise. Strike the ink then. Also fixed my sheet. Thanks!

Bianca tilts her head. would you be interested in purchasing some gem? I have plenty here..." from her coin purse, she takes out the Violet Garnet (100gp), the Green Zircon (75gp), and the two Deep Blue Azurites (50gp ea.), keeping the Sardonyx for herself for now. She lays them out neatly and looks up curiously. "Anything i can get for them could go a long way in community projects. I am considering planting a berry patch in on of the parks so there is a free supply of fruit for those that wish to pick berries but not venture into the wilds."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Olaf, son of Olaf, son of Olaf, strides into the shop. He pauses a moment to admire the fine dwarven stone work.

"I be having a strange one for ye," he says. "It be a magic sword, and a powerful one. But I canna lie to ye: it be cursed. It be making hair fall out, and make ye hate the light, and ye canna put it away until it be tasting blood. And because it be cursed, ye canna be rid of it without a priest's help. I don' want it. Ye think ye can find a buyer?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Alyse is happy to transact with Bianca. "If you wish coins instead of gems, we are happy to pay you 90% of their value. That's a bit better than you'd get from the usurer, at least."

Alyse carefully examines the sword that Olaf presents her. "Yes... This sword is double-edged in more than the traditional sense. It offers much to it's wielder that is beneficial, but must be taken at a cost.
That cost, I think, is up to the buyer. If we can find one for you, we have an enhanced fee of 50% which we would collect on the transaction due to the risk of handling cursed items, and the rest paid out accordingly."
she refers you to the fine print on the sign.

Post a requested and minimum price for it in private forum.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

August 19, 2021

Pendleton enters the shop with an ornate pitcher in his hands.

"I have here a mystical item of wonder—a definite curiosity, and possibly even an artifact. That is your line of business, as I understand it from the shingle over your door? Well, this pitcher is quite useful. With one command word, the pitcher fills with saltwater. Say another word, and any liquid in the pitcher is transformed into clean, clear, drinkable water! We may have need of this on our next expedition, and so I may not be able to part with it just yet, but I was wondering if you might be interested in purchasing it, and if so, what it might be worth to you."

Fingers snorts, coughs, and blows his nose loudly into a yellowed cloth. He looks at the magic user like he just squatted and dropped a smelly mess on his shop floor. "You're joking, right?" he sneers. "I can't sell that crappy pitcher. It makes saltwater. Great. Perfect if I have a sore throat. And it turns stuff into water. Big deal. It could turn beer into water! Hmph. Anyone can turn beer into water. I do it every day when I'm in town. Feh. Now, if you got a pitcher that can turn water into decent beer, that would be worth some money!"

Pendleton presses on, undeterred. "Perhaps you don't fully comprehend the versatility of this item," he says. "Saltwater contains salt—a rare and useful spice! Do you see a saltwater ocean anywhere near here, or a salt mine? So where do you expect people get their salt to cure meats or pickle vegetables? They import it from the south, that's where! You could be the sole purveyor of domestic salt! As for turning liquids into water—I would never suggest using this to turn beer into water! Sacrilege! But surely one of your customers might be interested in a source of water that never runs dry and never forces them to divert their travels toward a fresh stream or spring?"

Fingers shakes his head and shrugs. "Looks, the market's the market, and I ain't exactly had to hire a bouncer to hold back the crowd of customers, y'know? You wannt put it on consignment, name the price and I'll put it up for sale. To me? It's worth zilch. Now, you gonna buy anything or what?"

Pendleton sighs and puts the pitcher away. "I don't suppose you would sell the spells on those scrolls individually, would you?"

"Nuh uh. Them things are better'n gold. I'm giving 'em away at these prices! 'Sides, the folks that put 'em on consignment didn't say I could split 'em up. All or nothing, pal."

"Very well." Pendleton eyes the scrolls wistfully and leaves the shop.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea walks into the shop and looks around then stops on the sword "Whats the deal with that sword there?" he asks out of curiosity.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

"Whaddya mean?" answers Fingers reflexively. "It says right on the—"

Then he realizes that maybe being rude to the customers isn't a great way to drum up business.

"Sorry. Bad day. The sword's great. Magic. Ancient Ellurian craftsmanship, the kind you can't get anymore. It's just a little cursed. It's, well, kind of bloodthirsty. Doesn't want to be put away unless it's hurt someone. Jealous, too—won't let you use another weapon. And the dwarf who put it on consignment says he had to pay to get rid of it. But it's not all bad. It hits wicked hard and accurate, and the wielder can see better in the dark. Course, he also kinda gets squinty in sunlight, and the power of the sword sorta makes hair fall out. But if you can deal with the little quirks, it's a heck of a starter sword!"

Basically: +2, with lots of interesting side effects. See the spoilered info in the top post.

"If you can afford it, maybe I can make you a deal on getting the curse removed. Alyse just got this nifty wand that un-magics things."

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea ponders that for a moment "You'd have to knock that price down considerably with all that curse stuff." he replies back "I'd be willing to offer fifty gold unless you plan to do something about the curse." looking almost lost when mention of the wand is brought up "A wand that does what now?" he looks and sounds confused and even looks a little lost.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Zhym »

Fingers nearly chokes on his own spit. "Fifty!?" he coughs. "You're kidding, right? That's barely more'n a non-magic sword costs in this town. I mean, I know it says, 'or best offer," but it's gotta be worth more than fifty. All it needs is someone who isn't too attached to his hair—or doesn't care if he stays attached to his hair—and doesn't mind being able to see real good in the dark in exchange for not being able to see so well outside. Well, and having to pay to get rid of it, but by the time you've outgrown this sword you'll have so much money it won't matter."

'If you want to make a real offer, I'm listening. But I'd have to ask the consignee whether he'd take a share of fifty, and I'm pretty sure about the answer."

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea gets a little nervous "I'm new to the area but best I can go is hundred twenty five gold." secretly he wonders if it would cause the hair on his feet to fall off thinking that might not be such a bad thing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

Fingers looks thoughtful. "Hundred twenty-five, huh? That's still a steal...but it's not like anyone else has been rushing in to get it. Tell you what. If you can make it a nice, even 150, it's yours. That'll make it easier for me to split the money with the consignee."

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea considers the offer "That'd pretty much leave me broke. But I suppose I can do that. Do you suppose it will cause the hair on my feet to fall off?" he asks while digging for his belt pouch that he keeps his money in.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

"Um...maybe?" ventures Fingers, not wanting to kill a sale. "Guess you can find out, right?"

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea nods agreeing "Yes I suppose so. I was just hoping I might be able to actually wear boots." he adds while counting out the coins before handing them over. deducting 150 gp "I do hope it doesn't make me go around town trying to kill folks though." he says with a pause and sound of concern in his tone.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

"Um, yeah, me too," agrees Fingers, taking the money. "Good hunting!"

I should actually verify with Marullus that I can sell the sword this cheaply. But since both Fingers and the PC who put the sword on consignment are my characters and neither of them are benefiting by selling the sword for cheap, I'm pretty sure he'll allow it.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea just shrugs and nods to Fingers "Fair enough." and takes the sword strapping the sheath to his belt across his back.

. very well.
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for Halfling size logistics. :)

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”