Chapter 17 - Delve Deux into the Orcless Orc Stronghold

AleBelly
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 17 - Delve Deux into the Orcless Orc Stronghold

#261 Post by enn.in.me »

I think I have one CLW left, just not sure who is in most dire need.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:Injuries: Yenny, Angus barely wounded; Hyde, Kablamicus, Dandelion lightly wounded; Galan, Figgis moderately wounded
Looks like Figgis is the most in need of healing.

I feel like we're dithering. Let's just say we stay overnight and head back in tomorrow, if no one objects.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by AleBelly »

It would be easy enough to say that you rested x days until full health then went underneath, if that suits you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Zhym »

Fine with me.

I can't remember what Kalamicus's spells are. Can we also use the rest time to make us all invisible?
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#265 Post by enn.in.me »

Ooh--and then if we had silence we can be total clown show! (An invisible, silent one, that nobody will notice...)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by onlyme »

enn.in.me wrote:Ooh--and then if we had silence we can be total clown show! (An invisible, silent one, that nobody will notice...)

as if Dandelion would ever... The whole point is to bring attention to yourself.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by AleBelly »

To move this along...

Before the orc departs, he tells the group that the orc leader is in the third level of the stronghold. He claims there is treasure scattered about the second and third levels, gathered from the sacking of Strod years ago. Some humans still survive below, and he also describes a bleak existence for the common orc such as himself - subsisting off mushrooms and rat meat.

The party, intent on healing and returning to the stronghold, return to the makeshift barracks. Although not openly hostile, the party senses that the guards and soldiers don't quite understand why they let the orcs go, and they pretty much leave the party alone. Yenny doles out her remaining healing, and with a full complement of spells the next day (and rest), the party is fully healed. In the night, Figgis slips away, the dwarf's departure from the group every bit as mysterious as his joining.

Kablamicus uses his magical powers to read the scroll obtained below, and finds it to have a single Magic Mouth spell inscribed upon it. The mage knows that he can try to add it to his spellbook, and if successful the magical script will disappear from the parchment.

Each member of the party adds or should add 5 electrum pieces and 292 silver pieces to their inventory. On the morning of 31 Culling (March), the party is at full health and ready to delve back in again.

If party members wish to be invisible, KB could have done this for up to 3 members. Bluehorse, please let me know if you want to keep the scroll or attempt to add it to KB's spellbook.

Spellcasters, please let me know which spells you wish to memorize for the next delve below, if indeed that's what the party wants to do.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Zhym »

Angus quietly donates his share of treasure to whatever worthy charities he can find in town.

He can't help by try to explain himself to the guards. "I reckon you don't cotton to us letting that orc feller go," he tells the highest-ranking guard or soldier who will listen.

"Here's the deal. That one orc warn't no threat to us or you, and he gave us a map of the damn near the whole place in exchange for his life. We held our part of the bargain, because that's part of what makes us better than them. And now we're better set to kill the orc leader and save them people what he's got as slaves than we would've been if we'd slaughtered one cowering orc."

"It ain't no skin off my nose if y'all like that or don't. But we lost a good man down there and I'd just as soon not lose more from being too bull-headed to get information when we can. So I'd be mighty obliged if y'all'd keep that in mind."

Whatever the response is, Angus is ready to head back down when everyone else is.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#269 Post by enn.in.me »

Ready to go down and will try to post spells ASAP. If we move forward, without, they will be the same as last time. (traveling, limited access...)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by tkrexx »

Yeahh, what he said, Hyde backs Angus up, I don't like them Orcs none, no, but we made a bargain, him and us, and he kept his part so we kept ours. You lot leave him be, hah? Likely he'll die out there all on his own anyways. The short Half-Orc grabs his satchel and gives the guards one final glower, then heads out with his tribe.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion prepares to head back down. Her wounds look better.

( I assume there are no logical places to store nearly 300 silver pieces in this town safely, correct?)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by AleBelly »

Angus wants to ensure that relations with the local guards are as pleasant as possible - with Hyde's support he explains his actions. A small group gathers around the two, and after the ranger's explanation one replies thoughtfully.

"I don't doubt your loyalty to the cause. You are brave - and maybe a bit crazy - to head down into that pit. And we thank you kindly for your reasoning. But if you saw the things we saw - the horrors those piggos unleashed on the inhabitants of Strod...how most of 'em are f*cked up beyond any hope of rehabilitation - then I think you'd understand that it's tough to see even one of 'em set free. No hard feelings - at least not from most of us." The other guards mumble, generally in thanks and agreement with their spokesman. The party feels as if their standing with these men has improved.

Yes, no place like a bank (yet) for storing silver, but given the strength a couple of party members has we'll just assume it's distributed so that movement rates are optimized for all.

Where will the party go next in the dungeon? Let me know and I'll kick things off in another chapter.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Zhym »

Do you think you'll have a chance to post the map of the third level sometime? I think that might help with our planning.

That, plus I for one need to go back and re-read what's where.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by tkrexx »

But if you saw the things we saw - the horrors those piggos unleashed on the inhabitants of Strod...how most of 'em are f*cked up beyond any hope of rehabilitation - then I think you'd understand that it's tough to see even one of 'em set free.
Hyde halts in his tracks at this statement. He turns, not exactly in an unfriendly manner, but with whatever conviction his dim wisdom allows him. I'm one of them, yeahh. Not from Strod, no, but I know what they been thru, and I came thru it. I think maybe with the right direction, anyone can get past it. Y'all got a thankless job, I know, but if no one gave me a chance, I might well be fightin' on the Orcs' side. Somethin' I don't wanna do. Ya might wanna think about givin' some a' these cross-breeds a little more effort, hah? Us with Orc blood can be of some use, yeahh. He nods respectfully, and finds Angus' tracks.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Bluehorse »

Kablamicus

Sory for the long delay! Been a hectic week. Trying to get a jump on summer training to get my hours in for next year.
If party members wish to be invisible, KB could have done this for up to 3 members. Bluehorse, please let me know if you want to keep the scroll or attempt to add it to KB's spellbook.

Let see if he can scribe it into his spellbook! What do I roll? 1d100?

Spellcasters, please let me know which spells you wish to memorize for the next delve below if indeed that's what the party wants to do.

If I make 3 peep invisible, would that mean I start this delve with no level 2 spells? More than willing to do that but want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Kablamicus seems to take a moment or two as if awaiting divine inspiration. When Sophomore churtles on his shoulder his serene expression breaks into a scowl. Quiet you damn mouse picker! Can you not see I am preparing to harness the fabrics of the very cosmos? He then sips his cup of tea and resumes his apparent meditation.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by onlyme »

Bluehorse wrote:Kablamicus

If I make 3 peep invisible, would that mean I start this delve with no level 2 spells? More than willing to do that but want to make sure I am doing this correctly.
I believe the idea was that while we were healing (multi days) you could cast and relearn up to 3 while keeping a full load at start of adventure. But, I could always be wrong as well...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Zhym »

Looking at the orc's map again, I only see one set of stairs up from the second level, and those seem to go to the wizard's room, which isn't connected to anything else. Is there another entrance to the second level on the map?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by AleBelly »

Some housekeeping before we start again -
Yes, the stairs heading down to the next level put you near the wizard's area. But you don't necessarily have to go in there.

There are 'stairs down' in the top left of the map, but the orc wasn't too familiar with that area.

His last communication to you suggests he has virtually no knowledge of the third level, where the leader lives.

Yes, Bluehorse, please give me a d100 with 'magic mouth' in the macro to see if you KB can add to his spellbook. And you'll have a full complement of spells in addition to the (up to) 3 invisible PCs. I just need to know who those are.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Zhym »

Re: the third level, three weeks ago you said you'd be posting a map. That's why I was thinking we'd get one, even if it's sketchy.

Are the "stairs down" in the top left of the orc's map down to the third level, or down from 1 to 2?

Am I reading the map correctly that the map doesn't show any access from the stairs by the wizard area to the rest of the second level?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#280 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny could light her invisible self on fire and get in the midst of some bad guys...

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”