Sidetrack conversation about ships

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [007] Lady Alicia's Yacht - The Kiara Surabi

#61 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:On a side note, HEPLAR is not a Classic Traveller thing... Maneuver Drives are Maneuver Drives, with whatever technology that is... I prefer not to get into too much tecnocal detail as to how the technology works, that too often leads to crazy interpolations of what the technology can do. Some of that is fun, right up to the point where someone decides that Traveller Maneuver Drive allows relativistic planet busters and the whole premise of the game setting is literally blown away...[/ooc]
I'm a TNE gearhead, at least for starship design. The rules get kinda odd for other things.
I think I had some TNE books at one time. I purged all but my Classic Traveller when I got married (maybe some of that even earlier)...

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#62 Post by lenusmars »

I don't have any strong opinion on it. Do what makes sense to you.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Ramona »

TNE went all in with cascade skills. Weapons being the obvious example. If you had a 2 (easy math) in smg you had a 1 in all other slugthrowers. 1/2 skill. So sciences, medicine, piloting etc were all cascaded skills.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Tiglath »

lenusmars wrote:I don't have any strong opinion on it. Do what makes sense to you.
I agree as above.

FWIW I agree with Ship's Boat being a component of Pilot - maybe akin to the piston engine training phase of learning to fly a jet aircraft.

I like the idea that the Navy and Merchants have a (Edu 8+) theory exam but the Navy can end around it by sending you to Top Gun (Ship's Boat) school! :) Meanwhile Scouts and Pirates learn informally on the job and trusted pirate Lieutenants fly other people's (prize) ships. Nobles get trained by really expensive tutors ... who also sit the exam for them! ;)

Pirates must favour traditional boarding methods (including gangplanks and swinging on ropes :) ) because they can't fly fighters, gigs or launches either - no Ship's Boat skill!!!
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by ffilz »

More on the Pilot and Ship's Boat skills...

So traditional Ship's Boat covers small craft (< 100 tons), but I mentioned a distinction between maneuver and jump piloting.

Interpretations for each distinction:

Ship's Boat is small craft only - the Navy uses fighters, Belters who can't afford a Seeker use various small craft, Nobles maybe harder to justify why they sometimes just get Ship's Boat.

Ship's Boat is maneuver piloting only - the Navy also uses System Defense Boats, Belters may use various ships by in system only, this definition maybe makes more sense for a Noble - sometimes they just putter around in system with their Yacht.

I'm leaning hard towards the Ship's Boat is maneuver only piloting while Pilot covers both. And as mentioned earlier, if you get both skills, you add them together as your Pilot level.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:More on the Pilot and Ship's Boat skills...

So traditional Ship's Boat covers small craft (< 100 tons), but I mentioned a distinction between maneuver and jump piloting.

Interpretations for each distinction:

Ship's Boat is small craft only - the Navy uses fighters, Belters who can't afford a Seeker use various small craft, Nobles maybe harder to justify why they sometimes just get Ship's Boat.

Ship's Boat is maneuver piloting only - the Navy also uses System Defense Boats, Belters may use various ships by in system only, this definition maybe makes more sense for a Noble - sometimes they just putter around in system with their Yacht.

I'm leaning hard towards the Ship's Boat is maneuver only piloting while Pilot covers both. And as mentioned earlier, if you get both skills, you add them together as your Pilot level.
How about if, as you say “Pilot” is more to do with the Jump aspect. A pilot can pilot a ships boat and a starship, but a ships boat pilot can not do the jump insertion because it needs to calculate the residual velocity and the orbitsl mechanics of the destination system into account.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:How about if, as you say “Pilot” is more to do with the Jump aspect. A pilot can pilot a ships boat and a starship, but a ships boat pilot can not do the jump insertion because it needs to calculate the residual velocity and the orbitsl mechanics of the destination system into account.
That's the navigator's job. The pilot has to be able to fly the given vector, though.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”