000 readying the Maize Star

ffilz
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Kicking off

#41 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana leans her rifle and SMG against the aft port landing strut before pulling off her jacket and flack vest laying them down on top of her rifle case, “Vee, It is not my desire to play the part of the pedantic jackass but I have spent the better part of 20 years protecting my men from the asinine minutiae of the Imperial bureaucracy and it is not a job one gives up easily.”

She slides her boots and pants off before slipping her legs into her vac suit, “I have seen every possible way a well intentioned action by the most diligent soldier can turn around and bite them in the ass.”

Ana pulls off her shirt before pulling the suit up over her muscular shoulders and sealing it up. She adjusts the fit for a moment before pulling on the boots, gloves and PLSS harness. The suit has an unusual blue grey cammo pattern with armoured shoulders and shins. There were markings on the shoulders but they’ve been removed, only the name A. Jones remains on the chest.
"We can discuss this once we are safely off-planet," Vee replies evenly as she watches Ana put on her suit. "Please advise me when the ship's atmosphere is safe."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Ramona »

erkenbrand wrote:Simon fastens his helmet, then unclips one of the sections of his wheeled case, it is a small compact box with a handle.

After tuning in the communicator, he remarks "Toolkit", indicating the box, "Just in case we come across anything jammed up, lead on McDuff!" and waits for someone to take the lead, preferably someone armed.
Ana takes a deep breath before taking her filter mask and goggles off, the tainted atmosphere burns her eyes and she quickly pulls her helmet on locking the seals. Oxygen and power levels light up at the edges of her vision as the suit quickly flushes the taint out. She blinks for a couple of moments waiting for her eyes to stop watering as she fumbles about the side of her helmet with the communications controls.

“Not as much fun as tear gas but it’s a close second.” Ana remarks slinging her rifle and picking up her SMG.
joertexas wrote:"We can discuss this once we are safely off-planet," Vee replies evenly as she watches Ana put on her suit. "Please advise me when the ship's atmosphere is safe."
Ana nods at Vee as she heads up the ramp with Simon, the airlock closes behind them and the atmosphere begins to cycle.

“Are you sure it’s lead on?” Ana asks casually waiting for the inner iris to open. “Probably not the time to ask, no access to reference materials and arty has everyone a little on edge.”

The inner iris cycles open, exterior oxygen readings have dropped to zero but the atmospheric taint warning has vanished from their helmets. Ana steps aboard the starship and looks about using the flashlight on her SMG. Tiny particles of dust reflect and dance in the motionless air, a handful of ships system lights glow red and green in the otherwise dark ship.

“Aft to engineering or can you do this from just any old terminal?” She points aft with her flashlight, “You’d think the lights would be on motion detectors or do we need to turn those on too? Vee? Is it supposed to be this dark in here?”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Aft to engineering or can you do this from just any old terminal?” She points aft with her flashlight, “You’d think the lights would be on motion detectors or do we need to turn those on too? Vee? Is it supposed to be this dark in here?”
Vee twists around to verify that the ground power umbilical is still attached, then raises her comm to her cheek. "Ground power is still connected, so the main power buses are probably on standby. You should have emergency lighting. If you go to an engineering panel, either on the bridge or in engineering, you can bring up the lights and flush the atmosphere. To do that, though, you have to bring up one of the main power buses. Just make sure you aren't trying to power sensors. We're a bit too close to the hull for that."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#44 Post by GodricTheWell »

Just a quick point of clarification... the captain is absent, and some of us are boarding... because?
Also, why the vacc suits and the need to be armed? Reading the posts, so far, feels like we're boarding a derelict ship that we hope to salvage.
E.g. why are we boarding a ship and expecting hostile resistance (human, atmospheric)?
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by Ramona »

GodricTheWell wrote:Just a quick point of clarification... the captain is absent, and some of us are boarding... because?
Also, why the vacc suits and the need to be armed? Reading the posts, so far, feels like we're boarding a derelict ship that we hope to salvage.
E.g. why are we boarding a ship and expecting hostile resistance (human, atmospheric)?
Because there’s a war on this planet and it may or may not be raining ... I forget that part. Went back and looked, not mention of rain.

Vac suits are because the ship has been in long term storage for 4-6 months. The world we’re on has a tainted atmosphere and as a part of storing it we decided they pumped out all the oxygen to kill off any bugs and prevent deterioration. The ships full of nitrogen which is inert.

We’re armed because warzone and until the captain hires you’re not crew. Not expecting hostile resistance, not taking any chances either. Because warzone.
Last edited by Ramona on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee twists around to verify that the ground power umbilical is still attached, then raises her comm to her cheek. "Ground power is still connected, so the main power buses are probably on standby. You should have emergency lighting. If you go to an engineering panel, either on the bridge or in engineering, you can bring up the lights and flush the atmosphere. To do that, though, you have to bring up one of the main power buses. Just make sure you aren't trying to power sensors. We're a bit too close to the hull for that."
Ana looks around, “That’s a negative on emergency lighting, maybe the bulbs are burnt out or there’s a circut we need to reengage?”

She looks at Simon before poking at a number of green lights near the iris valve, ”You’d think it’d be near the door, I mean I can battlefield triage a gun-track on a hot LZ you’d think turning on a light would...” The forth green light she pushes activates the floor level fire lighting and some strategically placed corner lights, “Whoops, there it is.”

“Hey Vee, I found a light switch and no one’s dropped an artillery shell on our heads, things are looking up.”

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#47 Post by erkenbrand »

"Environment controls are normally on the bridge on this design, bridge is thataway", Simon points the direction, it's been a while since he's been on something this small, but he started out his career on small traders, not something you forget easily. He motions for Ana to lead on, clearly not comfortable with either being on point or at the nasty end of an SMG, he takes time to peek around and check out the ship.

Just to note, Simon is unarmed as far as you can tell, he is just carrying his toolkit"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana looks around, “That’s a negative on emergency lighting, maybe the bulbs are burnt out or there’s a circut we need to reengage?” She looks at Simon before poking at a number of green lights near the iris valve, ”You’d think it’d be near the door, I mean I can battlefield triage a gun-track on a hot LZ you’d think turning on a light would...” The forth green light she pushes activates the floor level fire lighting and some strategically placed corner lights, “Whoops, there it is.” “Hey Vee, I found a light switch and no one’s dropped an artillery shell on our heads, things are looking up.”
"No one has shelled us yet, you mean." Vee turned her gaze toward the sounds of not-so-distant combat. "We really need to get out of here soon."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Ramona »

erkenbrand wrote:"Environment controls are normally on the bridge on this design, bridge is thataway", Simon points the direction, it's been a while since he's been on something this small, but he started out his career on small traders, not something you forget easily. He motions for Ana to lead on, clearly not comfortable with either being on point or at the nasty end of an SMG, he takes time to peek around and check out the ship.

Just to note, Simon is unarmed as far as you can tell, he is just carrying his toolkit"
I was just looking at the deckplan the only airlock that works with what we described is on deck 2... my bad for not looking at the map first so the gangway must lead up there.

Ana turns off the flashlight and slings the SMG and turning on the emergency lights,“I have never been on anything this small, last ship I was on was the Eriana-3, big ass troop transport. One way ticket to this delightful little slice of hell.”
Last edited by Ramona on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:”No one has shelled us yet, you mean." Vee turned her gaze toward the sounds of not-so-distant combat. "We really need to get out of here soon."
“Try phoning the skip,” Ana replies over the coms, “maybe he ran into an old friend or was distracted by a bottle of whiskey.”

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#51 Post by GodricTheWell »

Ramona wrote: Because there’s a war on this planet and it may or may not be raining ... I forget that part. Went back and looked, not mention of rain.

Vac suits are because the ship has been in long term storage for 4-6 months. The world we’re on has a tainted atmosphere and as a part of storing it we decided they pumped out all the oxygen to kill off any bugs and prevent deterioration. The ships full of nitrogen which is inert.

We’re armed because warzone and until the captain hires you’re not crew. Not expecting hostile resistance, not taking any chances either. Because warzone.
thank you
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by Ramona »

No worries.

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#53 Post by erkenbrand »

So the airlock leads to the lounge area? Would that be on the upper or lower deck?

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Ramona »

Oh hell that’s totally the wrong plan for what I was describing in the post. So where would we be coming in? Is the cargo hold 2 levels or one cavernous opening? If it’s 2 decks how do we get stuff from D1 cargo hold to D2? Where are the cargo doors to get cargo in and out? Is there a walkway / catwalk on D2 forward and aft? I assume forward is crew and aft is passengers.

I’m sure I’ll have a dozen more questions so you may want to move this ship topic to a new topic rather than clutter this thread up. I hope Wen got a discount... :D

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#55 Post by erkenbrand »

If this is like the Type A2, then the cargo hold is open two desks high and there is a gangway, still no idea which is the upper or lower desk, though.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:Oh hell that’s totally the wrong plan for what I was describing in the post. So where would we be coming in? Is the cargo hold 2 levels or one cavernous opening? If it’s 2 decks how do we get stuff from D1 cargo hold to D2? Where are the cargo doors to get cargo in and out? Is there a walkway / catwalk on D2 forward and aft? I assume forward is crew and aft is passengers.

I’m sure I’ll have a dozen more questions so you may want to move this ship topic to a new topic rather than clutter this thread up. I hope Wen got a discount... :D
Yea, sorry for the deck plan waffling.

I'm making the cargo hold one cavernous hold, which was actually one of the reasons for choosing this plan. The other plans with cool loading ramps only had one deck high ramps even if the hold could be 2 decks high...

I'll assume you either commandeered a set of boarding stairs, or just climbed the built in ladder rungs to the bridge airlock. Feel free to go back and edit if you need clarification, but the essential task you are performing can easily be managed by going straight to the bridge.

Left hand deck is the upper deck, I'm not sure about a gangway, the access from bridge to engineering with gravity in the hold (it can be kept at zero-g in transit) would just be by taking ladder down to deck 1.

I'd also be happy to posit a lift between the bridge and the crew quarters.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:
joertexas wrote:”No one has shelled us yet, you mean." Vee turned her gaze toward the sounds of not-so-distant combat. "We really need to get out of here soon."
“Try phoning the skip,” Ana replies over the coms, “maybe he ran into an old friend or was distracted by a bottle of whiskey.”
Vee does as Ana suggests, and comm the Captain.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by ffilz »

And sorry for the stall, it eris seems to have been offline for almost a week. I don't know if he got caught by some extreme weather (though I don't see anything recent for Florida) or something else has come up.

If we don't here from him in another few days, I'll assume he takes you all on as crew (why a PC ship captain wouldn't, I dunno... so a reasonable assumption), and we can maybe get on with things.

Tasks before departing with the ship would be:

Bringing all the systems up and checking them out. You will want to check the ship's logs for when the last service was, though long term storage does not count against maintenance schedule.

Securing fuel.

Securing life support supplies (22kcr for 10 staterooms and 20 low berths)

Determining if the captain owes storage fees or not.

Assuring all the paper work is correct

Securing passengers and cargo

Any final purchases folks want to make
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by Ramona »

Wait... I could have stolen a mobile gantry?

https://youtu.be/-DPZ7FVV-Js

For the porpose of my edit I’m going to assume the left deck is lower and right is upper, bigger on bottom smaller on top and that we came in via the iris midships and not the mechanical airlock on the bridge because it was mechanically locked from the inside...

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Ramona »

Ana looks about the passenger lounge, coffee cup still on the dining table, shakes her head and heads towards the forward Iris. “Like a bloody ghost ship in here, just need some creepy 10 year old standing on the other side of this.”

She presses the button, the locks disengage and the iris opens to reveal the cavernous darkness of the cargo hold, “Awesome,”Ana mutters stepping through turning her flashlight back on, “What numb nut though a door from the passenger lounge straight into to the cargohold was a good idea? Totally buggers with the Feng Shui.”

Ana heads through into the cargo hold, her foot steps echo in the giant empty space. After they’ve crossed the hold Ana’s flashlight illuminates a single standardized 1 cubice metre Imperial cargo crate next to the port side cargo door,“Empty, welcome aboard fruit basket, or partially decomposed body of the previous captain?”. She grins at Simon before pushing the button and opening the bridge iris, “Lets turn this thing on.”

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”