000 readying the Maize Star

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 000 readying the Maize Star

#141 Post by ffilz »

ffilz wrote:I don't normally call for skill rolls during liftoff, but since you are taking a long dormant ship up for the first time...

Let's have an Engineering roll from Andy (DM +2 for skill) and a Pilot roll from Simon (DM +4 for skill).

Also, the ships finances should be updated for all the purchases and ticket revenue.
Simon's player hasn't logged in for almost a month, so to keep the game from stalling, here's Simon's Pilot roll:

[2d6+4] = 5+4 = 9

Andy brings the maneuver drive up to full power. The ship shudders and there is hissing and squealing as a few non-critical hose connections shake loose. When Andy gives helm a thumbs up, Wen secures permission for lift from star port control after a moment delay while an Imperial Navy gun boat chases off some local aircraft. Several sonic booms register on the hull as a result of the flyovers.

Simon engages the drive and the ship starts to lift, a moment as unbalanced thrust leans the ship is quickly corrected by Andy down in engineering. Of course most folks don't notice the lean since the artificial gravity seems to be working.

After orbit is achieved, Anastasia does a walk through of the hold to check on the advanced base modules. She spots one crate that broke loose and reports to Andy there may be a flaky artificial grav module in the hold.

Comms traffic is busy with various local traffic. There are several in system shuttles operating, and about two hours ago a shuttle lifted with cargo and passengers for a liner.

Wen secures clearance to run out to the jump limit and prepares the Jump and Navigate programs for swap in (for lift, Maneuver and Anti-Hijack are running). He has loaded the jump cassette into the computer.

The trip out to the jump limit is uneventful.

Any final thoughts before we enter jump space?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#142 Post by GodricTheWell »

I can't recall if this is my own home-brew wish, or if it's supported in CT rules: can we upgrade a skill by studying during jumps? It takes a few weeks, but I thought I remember reading it was possible to up level some skills over time?
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:I can't recall if this is my own home-brew wish, or if it's supported in CT rules: can we upgrade a skill by studying during jumps? It takes a few weeks, but I thought I remember reading it was possible to up level some skills over time?
I am using the self improvement rules from Book 2 with some house ruling (see my house rules document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YEP ... sp=sharing ).

Basically pick two skills you hope to improve and then we determine if you have any advantage, and then make dedication rolls for each skill. If you succeed, the skill is temporarily raised 1 level. If you want to learn a new level 0 skill talk to me.

I was going to open this question in the new thread, but we can have the conversation in this thread. I've added a skill training log to the campaign reference page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_81 ... sp=sharing
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:The trip out to the jump limit is uneventful.

Vee checks that the passengers are settled in for the transition to jump space.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:Simon's player hasn't logged in for almost a month, so to keep the game from stalling, here's Simon's Pilot roll:

[2d6+4] = 5+4 = 9

Andy brings the maneuver drive up to full power. The ship shudders and there is hissing and squealing as a few non-critical hose connections shake loose.
With a few choice words, Andy notes the problems, quickly deals with any that can't wait and keeps an eye on the others...
When Andy gives helm a thumbs up, Wen secures permission for lift from star port control after a moment delay while an Imperial Navy gun boat chases off some local aircraft. Several sonic booms register on the hull as a result of the flyovers.

Simon engages the drive and the ship starts to lift, a moment as unbalanced thrust leans the ship is quickly corrected by Andy down in engineering. Of course most folks don't notice the lean since the artificial gravity seems to be working.

After orbit is achieved, Anastasia does a walk through of the hold to check on the advanced base modules. She spots one crate that broke loose and reports to Andy there may be a flaky artificial grav module in the hold.
"Yeah, there was a moment during lift too that needs attention." Andy comms back, "Check on the passengers we have down there and tell them I'll be down as soon as I can to try to fix that grav module."
Comms traffic is busy with various local traffic. There are several in system shuttles operating, and about two hours ago a shuttle lifted with cargo and passengers for a liner.

Wen secures clearance to run out to the jump limit and prepares the Jump and Navigate programs for swap in (for lift, Maneuver and Anti-Hijack are running). He has loaded the jump cassette into the computer.

The trip out to the jump limit is uneventful.

During the two hours out Andy stays busy trying to fix the grav module (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11), shore up the loose hoses (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11) and see if he can figure out what caused the unbalanced thrust from the starboard drive on lift (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 3+2 = 5).
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote: During the two hours out Andy stays busy trying to fix the grav module (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11), shore up the loose hoses (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 9+2 = 11) and see if he can figure out what caused the unbalanced thrust from the starboard drive on lift (Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 3+2 = 5).

I should have clarified that resolution of all the issues was included in your original roll of 8. My intention is to implement some of the ideas from more recent "Forge" games where usually a single roll is all that is necessary to resolve an issue. Calling for rolls every time you turn a corner results in way too many failures...

Andy is able to pinpoint the issues with the unbalanced thrust and the flaky grav module. He will need some time during jump to complete the repairs, in the meantime, he can make adjustments. The hoses are a trivial job to reconnect (which had it required a roll would actually have been a Mechanical roll).

Frank

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Ramona »

Ana has no questions.

The tall muscular woman grabs another coffee before flopping on the sofa in the crew lounge. “Is there going to be a cooking rotation or will someone be playing mom?” She asks before taking a sip of her coffee, “I’m not much of a cook but I know a thing or two about bread.”

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by Eris »

Ramona wrote:Ana has no questions.

The tall muscular woman grabs another coffee before flopping on the sofa in the crew lounge. “Is there going to be a cooking rotation or will someone be playing mom?” She asks before taking a sip of her coffee, “I’m not much of a cook but I know a thing or two about bread.”
"It's less about cooking and more about following instructions with the food preparation." Wen says, "Passengers all get pre-prepared meals, just open the packages and the dishes will heat or cool as needed. For High passengers we embellish a bit and put their food on plates before serving them. OTOH, Middle passengers, pretty much, have to shift for themselves. All we really do for them is make the meal packs available to them."

"I'll deal with dinners." Wen says, "Mark, can make the kaff and see to it that breakfast is available for everyone, and we'll share responsibility for lunch."

"Ana, I appreciate you offering to help out, and I'll take you up on it. Take a shift keeping an eye on the passengers and helping out with their care and feeding every day after their dinners."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:"Ana, I appreciate you offering to help out, and I'll take you up on it. Take a shift keeping an eye on the passengers and helping out with their care and feeding every day after their dinners."
"I can help, too," Vee says as she steps into the crew area. "Just let me know what you want me to do."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#150 Post by GodricTheWell »

I'm assuming this is all happening in the crew lounge? Mark was in the passenger lounge tidying up the galley during disembarkation (?). So, he's not privvy to these conversations. I'm actually not sure how long everyone needs to "stay secured" before they are free to move about the cabin? But, assuming that at some point, the all clear is given...

Mark frees himself from his chair. He calls down the hallway to the High Passage guests that he'll be running a sort of quick orientation for everyone in about 30 minutes. Then, he finished stowing the galley supplies.
insert(wit)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by Eris »

GodricTheWell wrote:I'm assuming this is all happening in the crew lounge? Mark was in the passenger lounge tidying up the galley during disembarkation (?). So, he's not privvy to these conversations. I'm actually not sure how long everyone needs to "stay secured" before they are free to move about the cabin? But, assuming that at some point, the all clear is given...

Mark frees himself from his chair. He calls down the hallway to the High Passage guests that he'll be running a sort of quick orientation for everyone in about 30 minutes. Then, he finished stowing the galley supplies.
OOC: I was assuming it was later, after the ship was already in jump space and the entire crew was in the lounge. If not, Wen will make sure Mark gets the information that he has breakfast shift.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by ffilz »

Let's wrap up this thread. I'll repeat again, does anyone want to embark on a self improvement program?

I'm going to be away after Tuesday, so I'll leave this week open for role play during jump space, and then start a new thread Sunday or Monday with arrival at Fogbound.

Frank

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#153 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark would like to discreetly work on his Forgery skills.
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#154 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:Mark would like to discreetly work on his Forgery skills.
You can only practice a skill you have at least level 0 in (which for PCs does include all weapons including Brawling).

Frank

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#155 Post by GodricTheWell »

ffilz wrote:
You can only practice a skill you have at least level 0 in (which for PCs does include all weapons including Brawling).

Frank
Hmm... okay. I suppose I'll focus on my Computer skills. During character creation, I didn't either keep track of, or notice any, 0-skill Skills. Was there a 'starter' pack that we got (I know Mongoose does this, but I can't remember if there are a set of basic skills everyone gets in CT).
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:
ffilz wrote:

Frank
Hmm... okay. I suppose I'll focus on my Computer skills. During character creation, I didn't either keep track of, or notice any, 0-skill Skills. Was there a 'starter' pack that we got (I know Mongoose does this, but I can't remember if there are a set of basic skills everyone gets in CT).
No, in Classic Traveller there isn't a basic set of level 0 skills other than all Book 1 weapons (which by extension I've also included Brawling).

I'll re-iterate my house rules for self improvement here:

So here's my proposal: Keep the 8+ dedication roll and the 8 years to solidify. I'll allow ANY skill training where you go from level 0 to level 1 to be permanent in 4 years (bonus to those who acquire a level 0 in a non combat skill). Also, I think I'll allow any two skills, not 1 blade/1 gun OR 2 other skills...

Dedication roll for weapons DM +2 if you have advantageous DEX or STR. (DM -1 if you have disadvantageous). Now lots of differentiation.

Other skills I'll divide between INT, EDU, and maybe END for DM +2 if stat is 8+.

And I like your course for Cr 750 per year for DM +1.

One more refinement on this... If you choose to focus on a single skill improvement, DM +1 to the dedication roll (or maybe even +2, will need some thought on that).

Now without course it's a 50% chance to permanently advance skill over 8 years if you have advantageous and 70% if you also take a course. And a 35% without advantageous stat but take a course.

I think I would drop the dedication roll for the sabbatical. If you're going to take your character out of the game for 4 years, just grant the two skill levels, though maybe there should be a survival roll... I suppose there could still be some kind of roll to get into the program (essentially make it like a special term you can take once...).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:Let's wrap up this thread. I'll repeat again, does anyone want to embark on a self improvement program?
Vee studies to improve her Medical skill.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:Let's wrap up this thread. I'll repeat again, does anyone want to embark on a self improvement program?
Vee studies to improve her Medical skill.
As just a single concentration, or only using one of the two self improvement slots?

There can be benefit of saving a slot. If you DO gain level 0 in a skill through some other kind of training, you then have a self-improvement slot to immediately try and increase to level 1.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:As just a single concentration, or only using one of the two self improvement slots?

There can be benefit of saving a slot. If you DO gain level 0 in a skill through some other kind of training, you then have a self-improvement slot to immediately try and increase to level 1.
Use one of her two slots, I suppose..
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by ffilz »

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:As just a single concentration, or only using one of the two self improvement slots?

Use one of her two slots, I suppose..
Failed (rolled a 7 with no mods - Medical practice would get a bonus from high EDU). You can try again in a year.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”