Action Thread #3 - The Second Valley

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Action Thread #3 - The Second Valley

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 2 - Very Early Afternoon - The Second Valley/Cliff Base

The walk down the path to the second snowy valley does indeed prove to be the easieest vertical descent the companions have braved so far. As the dwarf Stonjuz predicted the cliff face abates the wind somewhat, but the breeze is still present.

Andrin, accompanying Ogirdor at the lead scans the cliff and path for small animals but he can find none. Maybe the giant bats and their ilk cleared this region of small creatures and their attack on Thurinor was spurred by hunger?

As the group makes their way down they are treated to a better view of the new valley. The cascading waters can now clearly be seen further along the cliff to the NE. Where they crash in the valley below they are joined by a rivulet winding from a valley extention to the NE. This stream, strengthened by the cascade takes then a turn to the southwest and finally joins the lake.

Like the icy valley they have left the new one is surrounded mountains on all sides except on its Southeastern edge, and its lake seems to extend all the way to it some 4 miles distant from the cliff the party is on. This surely means a new waterfall, and the possibly new paths downwards. The lake, unlike the previous one, does not seem to hug the edges of the mountains that encircle the valley.

The sun, from what can be seen of it through the ever-stubborn clouds, ha just left its noon peak position in the skies when the six arrive at the new valley. While still cold, it is perceptible the temperature here is a few degrees higher than in the icy valley the party has left behind.

Less than a mile East of their current position the stream is curving southwards to begins its journey to join the lake. An expanse of snowy terrain continues southward and the white mantle gets progressively more patchy in that direction even as it narrows the make way for the body of the lake.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action Thread #3 - The Second Valley

#2 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin looks around as he has often during the descent. Smiling, he turns to Ogirdor. "What say you, my friend? Even though this place here is still a mystery to us and not free of dangers, it's certainly also one with a lot of nature's beauty. And although I prefer the woodlands by far, I admire Beory's hand wherever Her making displays such wonders. The only thing that I'm missing is the obvious lack of animal life here. Except for the fish that we caught this morning, I haven't even seen a bird so far - and there should be quite a few in regions such as this. Perhaps this will change the farther we get down and more vegetation will come into view."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Stonjuz »

"I, for one, am relieved to see the lake is clean, at least it seems so from here. I was worried since I ate the last of the fish, hey I was rather hungry, and didnt bring a stringer full to carry left-overs to the next rest area. Wont make that mistake again. Say Ogirdor, you made good use of me nets earlier, care to try your hand again?" Stonjuz looks at the prestine edges of the mountain leading down to the stream. " I have no idear where we is but...know what? That base over thar' would be a good place to test for gold pannin'. Malone, We may have use for that shield afta all."

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by Buzz »

"Let's hold off fishing, for a bit. We need to make some headway, even if it is just a few miles southeast."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by zebediah »

Sir Clarence wrote:Andrin looks around as he has often during the descent. Smiling, he turns to Ogirdor. "What say you, my friend? Even though this place here is still a mystery to us and not free of dangers, it's certainly also one with a lot of nature's beauty. And although I prefer the woodlands by far, I admire Beory's hand wherever Her making displays such wonders. The only thing that I'm missing is the obvious lack of animal life here. Except for the fish that we caught this morning, I haven't even seen a bird so far - and there should be quite a few in regions such as this. Perhaps this will change the farther we get down and more vegetation will come into view."
"The scenario is quite impressive as you say Andrin, but I believe I cannot fully appreciate it until I can assess where this is. We have been brought here by forces that are not evident to me thus far and I fear we are in a very vulnerable position." he sighs deeply "My apologies if I am burdening you with my concerns."
Stonjuz wrote:"I, for one, am relieved to see the lake is clean, at least it seems so from here. I was worried since I ate the last of the fish, hey I was rather hungry, and didnt bring a stringer full to carry left-overs to the next rest area. Wont make that mistake again. Say Ogirdor, you made good use of me nets earlier, care to try your hand again?" Stonjuz looks at the prestine edges of the mountain leading down to the stream. " I have no idear where we is but...know what? That base over thar' would be a good place to test for gold pannin'. Malone, We may have use for that shield afta all."
Buzz wrote:"Let's hold off fishing, for a bit. We need to make some headway, even if it is just a few miles southeast."
"Yeah, we have rations with us so I see no need for another picnic gentlemen. I would rather continue and advance as much as we can before it gets dark."

OOC: does it look like the group can continue to advance south and reach the next cliff without crossing the waters?

Sheldomar
Runner
Runner

#6 Post by Sheldomar »

Thurinor lets the distance between he and the others grow a bit in hope that his keen ears, unfettered by the din the party is making, might detect a predator's approach. With crossbow still nocked, he scans the skies often, believing the giant birds might return looking to recapture their escaped prey.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by zebediah »

"Well fellas I will scout ahead again. I will try to stick close to the mountains west of us as that should keep from attracting unwanted attention. Keep your eyes open."

Ogirdor will move forth with his bow ready and arrow nocked.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Stonjuz »

"Ok, but about the gold. I'd nevah be able ta look me kinsmen in the eye if I didnt sift at least one scoop from such pristine baseline."

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by Ra the monk »

"While I agree with you that we have rations I feel that we should save them for when and if we need them. Now we have a beautiful steam in front of us, plenty of fish, and the dwarf here is itchin to try and strike it rich. I say we take a minute and rest. It isn't like we are going anywhere in particular, so we might as well take out time and grab a bite to eat while we are at it."

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor seems puzzled by Ozborn's comment

"I was under the impression that we had been made unconscious and sent to this remote place for purposes that we so far ignore. I would be surprised, though, if whoever sent us here did so for us to enjoy the amenities of the mountain. Any fish and riches that might be available are also not going anywhere and can always be retrieved without exposing ourselves any further. If you are hungry and fearful of advancing further on an empty belly then let us find a more secluded place where we can set camp unnoticed and I will go catch as many fish as we need."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Stonjuz »

"Well, I dont wanna come all the way back up here just to test it, we dont have to mine it. Ill sift as we walk, now that its flat here. And the fish net should make quick work of a stringer. We dont have to cook em yet. One cast and one scoop from just the right places and it's possible to be back on our way in less time then it would take to firebuild anyway..........Wait, this isnt right, it must be waaaaaayyy over that direction....so yall are right...once again, good thing you boys were about. " and with that Stonjuz will go along with any consensus.
"Gonna have to send a team up later it seems."

Sheldomar
Runner
Runner

#12 Post by Sheldomar »

"Let's hold off fishing, for a bit. We need to make some headway, even if it is just a few miles southeast." The elf nods his head toward the human. "I agree. We are exposed here and invite attack each moment we languish."

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Ra the monk »

zebediah wrote:I was under the impression that we had been made unconscious and sent to this remote place for purposes that we so far ignore.
"Ogirdor the only purpose I live for is a good meal, good wine, and good women. If someone did put me on this mountain to do something else then are going to be sorely disappointed. But if you would feel safer moving on, I understand. Wouldn't want to ruin your meal with worry."

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 2 - Early Afternoon - The Second Valley/River's Edge

The consensus, if we can call it that, seems to be to continue onward at least for now. So here is what happens.

Less than half-a-mile of marching and the group is walking besides the river. Its waters are icy cold like the ones of the first, larger valley. Attempting to cross the river would require some thorough soaking in a cold embrace similar to the one that victimized Stonjuz when he made his spectacular, magically-caused entry to Hardway Mountain. Also, there is the question of the current. The river is rushing fast to join the lake to the south.

No dangers, perils, impediments, hostiles or signs of animal life are met or seen.

After some more walking on the snowy terrain, when the party is about a mile distant from the cliff they descended earlier, a curious feature of the landscape comes into view. A natural arch of ice spans and connects both margins of the river where it has cut deep, forming a landbridge, or rather, an icebridge. The icy platform seems stout enough to hold the weight of several people at the same time. It is wide enough to allow a single person to walk on comfortably or for two abreast to cross if care is taken.

The six could continue their way south and travel by the western side of the lake or, if they cross to the other margin, could travel on its eastern side. It is a wild guess on which side of the body of water an easier access to lower regions will be found...that is, assuming there is even a single one. If the luck of the Gods be with the adventurers, who knows? There may well be numerous paths for progress on either side.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz stares, gaze fixed, at the ice bridge while subconsciously rubbing his silver symbol. "I dont see an urgent need to cross over this bridge, unless the way is blocked ahead. Anyone wanna walk across it?"

OOC sure wish i was high enough lvl to cast augury
Last edited by Stonjuz on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by zebediah »

Ra the monk wrote:"Ogirdor the only purpose I live for is a good meal, good wine, and good women. If someone did put me on this mountain to do something else then are going to be sorely disappointed. But if you would feel safer moving on, I understand. Wouldn't want to ruin your meal with worry."
The ranger seems to relax somewhat as a smile replaces the grave expression of just a moment ago "I have to say that your attitude in front of potential danger is at least refeshing, my friend. I can promise you that if we come out of this I will help you fulfilling your life purpose as much as I can."
Vargr1105 wrote:Day 2 - Early Afternoon - The Second Valley/River's Edge

After some more walking on the snowy terrain, when the party is about a mile distant from the cliff they descended earlier, a curious feature of the landscape comes into view. A natural arch of ice spans and connects both margins of the river where it has cut deep, forming a landbridge, or rather, an icebridge. The icy platform seems stout enough to hold the weight of several people at the same time. It is wide enough to allow a single person to walk on comfortably or for two abreast to cross if care is taken.

The six could continue their way south and travel by the western side of the lake or, if they cross to the other margin, could travel on its eastern side. It is a wild guess on which side of the body of water an easier access to lower regions will be found...that is, assuming there is even a single one. If the luck of the Gods be with the adventurers, who knows? There may well be numerous paths for progress on either side.[/b]
"From the height of the last descending path I could see that the way south from here will lead us to the next cliff. The other side may also lead us there but I believe it will take us longer than the southern route. What do you fellas say?"
Last edited by zebediah on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Stonjuz »

"Good meals?....if we stay close to this river, soon as we come to a good spot to fish and rest. Good wine?...I'd even settle for stale beer but that may have to wait till we find some civ'ization. Good women? ... maybe when this is all over and relayed about over a fire, I'll tell ya about me time in Scant. The women there dress rather....scant.
As for the lack of wildlife. Large predators most likely. Those giant birds you speak of, even bigger bats maybe, even dragons, but sure a good sign of sumthin big. No sign of ANY tracks in the snow? Strange indeed."

Approaching the spot where the group has to decide...
"If ya dont know where ya are, then ya cant make faulty wrong decisions. We haven't come to a point of no-return soooo.....what are we waiting for? Do we cross over the ice bridge, rest assured I'm not goin' first, or simply continue on this side 'ere? Worse case, we just have to come back to this spot."
Stonjuz stands parallel with the ice bridge now to the east. Waiting as if consensus hasnt been fully revealed.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Sir Clarence »

Looking at the ice bridge, Andrin says: "I propose that one of us should try it and see whether it's really as safe as it looks from here. And - more important - if the other side looks more promising to take as this one here. I'd volunteer as I'm traveling lightly."

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by Ra the monk »

Sir Clarence wrote:And - more important - if the other side looks more promising to take as this one here. I'd volunteer as I'm traveling lightly."
Before the elf can even finish volunteering Oz is already removing his pack and heading that way. Dropping his bow and short sword, leaving there way the fall, he starts to pull his rope around his waist. After tying a quick knot he pulls out his boot dagger and starts his way across the bridge dropping the rest of the rope "Would someone hold on to this? and with that he is making his way across.

knot tying dex check
[1d20] = 14
climbing dex check
[1d20] = 9

Sheldomar
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by Sheldomar »

Thurinor drops his pack and strides quickly to the edge of the ice bridge as the human called Oz grabs his rope, draws his dagger and begins his way across. The elf's wide eyes cannot hide his excitement, his mouth drawing into a broad grin. In elvish, he speaks quickly to the other fellow of elven decent, Andrin, if he remembers correctly. "Do you suppose he knows that the ice is weakest now, during the warmest part of the day?" He watches on, enraptured.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”