Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#81 Post by Dram »

Anuzal pulls a black gem from his leather pouch. slowly turning looking thru the gem. Whisper to the others. This wil me see if there is anything invisible around us. Do you believe there is a illusionist at work here? This has the power to dispel such things only once a day though.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex adds, "Well, something put on a show for us. I don't know much about magic but I'd say it's possible there was some sort of magic at work here."

Abrex looks at the tracks to see if he can figure out where they lead off to.

"The thing that troubles me is that the Jinn with the riddle had a hyena with them and it tried to lure us to it as well. Now we have what seems like more hyenas trying to lure us to them using an elaborate trick of some sort. I'd suggest we get to the Hermit and my guess is maybe the Hermit and the Jinn had a disagreement and the Jinn is punishing the Hermit for it. Let's go see what the Hermit has to say. In the end we may have to deal with the Jinn again."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#83 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

I, too, feel we should press on and see the hermit. We may be able to gain information from him about these "hyenas."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Disappointed that the hyena hunt was a bust, Dubb quickly rebounds and focused his attention on the hermit. "Excellent breakfast Emma! It does appear that the hyenas are playing with us, but I agree that the hermit may be our best source of information."

Dubb looks around at the nearby canyon walls. "That is, I daresay, a lovely place for an ambush. Let's keep our wits about us and expect some trouble."

Dubb mounts his camel and makes ready to move into the canyon.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#85 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer returns to the camp and gathers his belongings, now sure that there was an intelligent foe out there playing games with them, and it wasn't over. There were a few possibilities, though each seemed as unlikely as the next. He knew that bandits did not operate in this area of the high desert, and the reason why was now becoming clear. It could very well be that jinn, but there didn't seem to be any logic in that. There was also the possibility of this being the work of the hermit himself, a means of keeping away unwanted intruders. "Hmm, very well. Let us forget the hyenas for now and push on to this hermit's hovel." he says.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Driftlight - Set to dark.

Abrex says, "Agreed folks. Let's head on to the Hermit's location and stay alert. While the Hyena's have only been active during the night let's not take any chances, so be ready. Everyone make sure you get your gear."

Abrex does a once over on the camp to make sure he didn't forget anything. Get's his camels and starts heading toward the hermits place once the oterhs are ready in formation.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Bluehorse »

I am not particularly sure of our geography. Would it be reasonable for someone to move up to the tops of the canyon walls as a lookout or are we already thoroughly boxed in? I think with all the goings on, maybe someone with sharp eyes (High WIS) and some archery ability would be good to have up top to look out for trouble from an ambush or snipe from above if needed. Thoughts and DM info?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#88 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bluehorse wrote:I am not particularly sure of our geography. Would it be reasonable for someone to move up to the tops of the canyon walls as a lookout or are we already thoroughly boxed in? I think with all the goings on, maybe someone with sharp eyes (High WIS) and some archery ability would be good to have up top to look out for trouble from an ambush or snipe from above if needed. Thoughts and DM info?
There isn't a 3d version of the map that I can find but it basically describes that the "Vale" is above the canyon that you all traversed to get here and there is only a "goat trail" that leads up to it. However to allow the camels and the cart/wagon of goods go up the trail I'm saying it is wide enough to go single file up the trail with the wagon just barely fitting on the trail say maybe a foot of extra space to allow the wagon to move and not have the wheels rub the rocky wall as you go up or have one wheel dangling off the cliff-side.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#89 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The Hermit's Vale

Deciding that these hyenas are more than the average hyena the group investigates the area they were making noise from to find nothing there besides tracks of large dogs. There is talking about setting up another nights camp and setting a trap but ultimately the idea is given up on and the group decides to pack up camp and head up to the Hermit Mahara's Vale. Mahara lives in a small dale, reachable only by climbing a small goat trail up 800 feet from the base of the valley. At the top of the trail, a dell reaches back into the side of the mountain pass. The party can only proceed single file along the narrow trail leading up into the valley. The group heads up the trail and finally sees the valley. The small valley is barely 200 yards deep and littered with scrub growth, nourished by a feeble spring. Four caves are found in the small valley. Now comes the matter of figuring out which one is the hermit's cave. One cave is right near the end of the goat trail only a mere 10 yards away.

Marching order please?

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

Could someone stay on higher ground and keep an eagle's eye on everything down here while we go forward? I'd feel better knowing our backs were guarded in case anything coming in from behind or above, or at least get an early warning. Otherwise, I think we should move forward to introduce ourselves to this hermit.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad, cranky and even more impatient from the fruitless search, starts off down the trail "let's get this done already!"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Dram »

Anuzal follows Asad up the trail. Bow at the ready.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#93 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

As the party begins heading out, the sha'ir summons his gen. Jafar, go find me the Armor spell. I have a bad feeling about this, and would prefer to remain among the living for a little while longer, at least. The efreetkin disappears, returning in five minutes with the Armor spell, which Benham casts upon himself immediately.

He would prefer to be in the middle of the marching order.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex says, “Perhaps Ameer can have one of his men be our lookout? I can lead the way or near the front.”

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer's expression becomes one of disappointment as Abrex makes his suggestion. "Regretfully, these hired men serve me as bodyguards, my friend. They are not marksmen."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex laughs, "You are the only one here that seems to feel the need for body guards and you can't use one to spot for us and yourself. We don't need a marksman just a lookout. That can't be too tough now can it? I suggest the following marching order as we move toward the hermit location. It's up to Ameer here if we get a scout/lookout or not. We may need some lighting in the caves. I can provide some of it for us if we need it just don't look back or know I will have a light shining so cover your eyes if you do."

Abrex will use his driftlight to provide some light and since I'm in the back it won't blind anyone ahead of him unless they look back.

Marching order recommendation

Anuzal Jeehab Scout/Traps
Asad the Lion
Ameer
Some or all of his bodyguards One as lookout?? Possibly
Benham Iskandar
Dubb Al-Tabil
Emma Springdawning
Abrex Myzeen

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer smiles broadly, amused at the sudden outburst. After a few seconds, his expression becomes very serious and he replies, "Please do not attempt to dishonor me or my associates by redirecting blame unto us." He pauses for a moment, then adds, "As for their presence here, surely you do not believe me to be so foolish as to travel without them? The desert is a dangerous place." He directs all of his men to take position at the mouth of the cave, then joins them himself.

OOC: Ameer has decided that he and his men will "stand guard" outside the cave, pending an apology at least.
Last edited by Zeromancer on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott308

#99 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

So, it is settled, then. We will check this cave first, and we know our rear is covered to prevent anything from following us, perhaps from one of the other caves.

I'm assuming the cave Ameer and his bodyguards are protecting is the first one, right at the end of the goat path?

Before we go in, Jafar, be so good as to fetch me a Magic Missile spell. I fear I may have need of some sort of offensive magic in the near future. We may continue while he gets the spell- no need to wait out here for him to return. He'll find me wherever we may be at the time.

GreyWolfVT

#100 Post by GreyWolfVT »

The first cave would be it yes however you wont get a chance to enter the cave that is why i asked for a march order there is an encounter about to happen before the party gets entirely off the path per the module. I'll need a surprise roll for the players at the front of the marching order please.

Return to “Archive”