Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#21 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma
Sorry, that time of the school year and I was suddenly swamped.
The small sorceress looks curiously in the direction where the hyena was. "Isn't that the same direction we are going to see the hermit? You don't suppose he is able to communicate with animals or is some kind of changling, do you? I've heard of stranger tales in the dessert"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Dram »

Dram wrote:Anuzal- Gets into his back pack and pulls out a globe. I acquired this item back in Mulsk. It creates a light source but permanently hangs on your shoulder till destroyed or you die. I do not like the idea of having something hanging over me over all the time, but I figure one of you mages may like it. It will help keep the are lit so that we may see anything sneaking into camp. He looks to the wizards and clerics.

None of you wizards or clerics want the globe.

Globe
Glowing Globe (Driftlight)
A glowing globe is a luminous glass globe that always floats above and just behind the shoulder of the person who first touched it. Its brightness is controlled by silent use of the owner's will, varying from completely dark to blinding (a brief flash; creatures within 40' of the flashing globe save vs. spell to avoid being blinded for 1-6 rounds). Such a globe can be removed from an owner's control by remove curse or a limited wish, whereupon the next being to touch the globe inherits control of it. A glowing globe does not give off any heat. It has an AC of 4, and can be shattered (causing a blinding flash, as above) by doing it 14 points or more of impact damage; magical or normal fire, cold, and lightning will not harm it. It cannot be made invisible except by use of a wish. A glowing globe is affected by changes in its owner's state, and drops to the ground, lightless, if its owner is killed, petrified, goes ethereal or astral, or travels to another plane without taking the globe along. Control can be gained by any being touching such a lifeless globe. If a sling or harness is thrown over it, a glowing globe's levitation can allow it to carry up to 20 pounds. Any weight above 21/2 pounds causes a globe to slow to the pace of a slow walk movement of 6. Some mages reduce their size and move along with a globe, though this mode of travel is hardly common.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Zeromancer »

While up and about, Ameer adds some burnable material to the fire nearest to him, which consists of a few bits of dry brush and dried camel dung. The flame was small, but the heat it put off was sufficient enough to stave off the chill afflicting the group provided an individual had set their bedroll in relatively close proximity to it. After some deliberation, he decides to return to his slumber, but sets each of his retainers on a rotating watch for the remainder of the night.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Khalid comes out to see what Ameer is doing and chokes a little from the smell "What are you doing Ameer?" the young porter asks. But seeing the man go off to his tent again the porter gets no reply and goes back to his own tent.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#25 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Tired of waiting for Jafar to return and seeing that most everyone else seems unconcerned with the hyena, Benham rolls over and goes back to sleep.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Camp one hour later....

The howling every few minutes continues on then about an hour later when everyone decides to go back to bed the howling stops. A deafening thunder clap and bolt of lightning go off nearby, near the camp appears a Jinn and he laughs malevolently his hyena sitting near him. "Muahahahahahaha! Foolish mortals! You should have thought more of my hyena scout Batul." he looks at the hyena and praises the creature "Good job Batul." and produces a leg of some sort of creature and tosses it to the hyena in which it devours is hungrily.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Already awake, Dubb quickly reacts to the appearance of the Jinn. By hanging his head and sighing.

"Of course. It all comes together." Dubb puts on a big smile and greets the Jinn.

"Welcome! To be honest, we thought your hyena indicated something. We had no idea it was a harbinger for one such as yourself." Dubb bows and resumes. "To what do we owe the pleasure, and how can we help you?"

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex just dozed off and awoke quickly to see the Jinn and Dubb talking. He gets up quickly still in armor but does not act aggressively.

Abrex casually moves to Dunn’s side,”I thought there was more to that hyena.” Abrex bows to the Jinn saying, “I am Abrex Myzeen how should we address you?”
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad, not one to be intimidated by anyone, "We had already eaten - otherwise we might have paid him a visit"

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex gets everyone up by going around and rousing them with a soft boot,"Get up we have company play it cool."

Abrex says, "Where is Jamal?????? Did we leave without Jamal or did something just happen?"

Abrex refocuses a sec then softly says, "We can sort out what happened to Jamal in a bit."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Khalid comes out and almost urinates in his pants at the sight of the jinn. "We left Jamal back in Talv he was passed out after his spell casting, unfortunately with the excitement we left without him Abrex."

Hazeem & Rashad come out to see what is going on and see the Jinn but say nothing playing it cool but also preparing for a battle hands held readily near weapons.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#32 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Waking to see the Jinn, Benham's eyes momentarily widen before he regains his composure. Rising, he spreads his hands wide, bowing deeply, saying, O great Jinn, we did not realize the hyena was of any significance. Now we know differently. My name is Benham. Please, what brings one so powerful as yourself to our humble camp, if you would permit me to ask you a question?

Jafar wisely chooses to not make an appearance at this precise moment.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Dram »

Anuzal - Wakes up abruptly That Hy!! Stops short of what he was going say. I see that he is and with a friend too. Good evening sir. What do we owe the pleasure of this visit late in this late hour.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

Looks on in awe of the powerful being before them. She flashes her best smile while looking the Djinn over closely for clues to his exact nature as well as any indications of what his intentions are by his posture while trying to remember all she can about these beings from her studies.
INT (14) [1d20] = 19
WIS check (10) [1d20] = 12
Unfortunately, all she has is a Genie song stuck in her head all of a sudden...

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer rouses from his slumber, clearly displeased to have been awoken yet again by an intruder. Gazing over in the direction of where many of his allies were now focused, he vigorously rubs his eyes to ensure that he was seeing things properly. He holds back a smirk and shakes his head at the ludicrousness of the situation he and his group now found themselves in. They were a simple band of travelers, not all too significant in the grand scheme of things, yet here they were, being personally confronted by a magical being of unknown power and intent. Actually, its intent was fairly transparent. This being was quite accustomed to getting everything it wanted, and likely saw mortals as little more than pawns in its machinations. It wanted something from them. As several of the others appear to have already attempted to make peaceful contact, the scholarly man decided it would be best to stay on the periphery for now.

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Talking to a Jinn in the night

The Jinn smirks at the mortals gathered before him "Who I am is of little concern to you!" his voice boom with power. "If you can solve a riddle I shall grant you mercy and allow you to pass though this valley." he says with power and intimidation in his voice. As he surveys the group "Centuries dead and still is living, Can’t forget, but is forgiving. All beauty gone, all men reviling, Time betrayed, but still is smiling." he cites the riddle to the party gathered before him. "If you can answer me this before dawn you may pass and I shall leave you be. Fail and you shall see the true power I wield." he threatens. "You've got five hours until the sun will rise. Talk among yourselves if you must but I will await here with Batul for your answer." to add emphasis to his words another lightning bolt and deafening thunder above the camp is seen and heard.

Actions?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma
GreyWolfVT wrote:Talking to a Jinn in the night "Centuries dead and still is living, Can’t forget, but is forgiving. All beauty gone, all men reviling, Time betrayed, but still is smiling."
Looks wide-eyed at the Jinn and looks at the others. "Somehow I get the feeling that fleeing for our lives is not going to be met with any grace here. Does anyone have any thoughts? All I can think of is maybe some kind of undead creature? A skeleton maybe? Not sure any of them are forgiving though...

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex says,"I don't know. That's a tough one. I'm thinking History or memory but neither of those are forgiving. It's the individual that forgives."

"Hang on a second. Emma you might be on to something there", says Abrex. He motions for the others to huddle around and he lowers his voice,"We are on an adventure here to find a lich right. That's a special kind of undead. Dead but still living. I think it fits all the parts of the riddle. What do you think folks? If that's the case then the lich may be working with or controlling the Jinn?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Dram »

Anuzal- I have never heard of a lich being forgiving either. But I may be wrong.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Dubb bows and thanks the Jinn for his patience. "I like your thinking Abrex. What was the name of the king who searched for immortality? Az-somehing? As for his working with or controlling the Jinn, I doubt it. The Jinn is most assuredly the reason the supplies and caravans never reached the hermit."

Dubb ponders for a moment. "If I remember correctly, this King is interested in having the truth about history revealed. If that's true, he wouldn't place obstacles such as these before anyone. No, I attribute our current situation to the whimsy of a Jinn."

Return to “Archive”