Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates - Part 1

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates

#321 Post by Dram »

Anuzal dresses and heads to the tavern. Hope everyone rested well last night and had a good breakfast. Are going to find the Mystic? We should look into it as it is on the way.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#322 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Do we go anywhere at all today? I believe the spell Jamal cast will prevent him from doing anything the rest of the day. I could be wrong, of course, as I have never cast that particular spell. Has anyone seen him this morning?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#323 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

After casting the spell and determining what can be learned from it, the wizard loses 8 points of Constitution. He must rest for one hour to recover each point of Constitution. If the 8-point loss drops the spellcaster below a Constitution of 1, he falls unconscious. Consciousness is not regained until full Constitution is restored, which takes 24 hours (one point per three hours for an unconscious character). He's not below 1 Con so I'd guess he needs 8 hrs to recover 8 Con points.

Abrex says, "I am not sure how long Jamal will need to rest. I brought him and Alara some breakfast and we can get all the supplies we need along with talking to the council while he rests. If he's ready by then we can decide to either travel then camp or stay here another night. We probably need to get going though once he is ready. We can see the council if they are ready or we can go get our supplies until they are ready."

Abrex waves Jeelaan over and says, "Can you send word to the council we would like an audiance when they are ready. We will be shopping for supplies or nearby."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#324 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer sips his coffee, a potent blend brewed just to his liking. He politely greets any of his companions who are taking their breakfast in the common area, not paying much attention to anyone or anything other than the liquid within his mug. However, he quickly fixates on Abrex when the man speaks his request to the young woman. The scholarly man interjects himself into the encounter, maintaining a pleasant expression, "We needn't trouble the lady with that, my friend. I'll set up the meeting myself. I have a fair bit of a skill with dealing with bureaucracies."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#325 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Council Meeting

Moving along.... After morning feast (breakfast). Everyone gathers and heads off to see the Council of Elders. The council hears the group out and gives them the payment of 500 gp for taking on the task of finding Mahara and bringing him his usual goods. They supply a small wagon with goods that are meant to go to the old hermit in the Valley of Echoes. Then the council dismisses everyone and sends you all off on your way. Unless anyone has anything more to say to the Council.

Actions? If None please move to Adventure 5 topic/thread.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#326 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer smiles pleasantly at the meeting's conclusion. "Do not fret honrorable Councillors, we will successfully complete this task you've entrusted us with in your name." The man then politely bows and departs the chambers as requested, saying in a barely audible tone to the retainer at his side, "See that proper measures are taken to protect the wagon, Rigel. This endeavor must succeed."
An Etiquette roll to close out the discussions, if needed.

Etiquette [1d20] = 7

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Seeing the negotiations in fine hands, Dubb takes a moment to examine the contents of the wagon. He moves to attach the wagon to his extra camel. "It looks like only one is needed to pull the wagon. If there are no objections, my camel will bear the burden."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#328 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal finally gets up and washes and dresses. He goes down to the tavern to search for everyone and realises they have all left him behind.

Well THATs charming Alara isn’t it! Ungrateful peasants the lot of them. The djinnling nods enthusiastically. ”Just goes to show you can’t trust anyone but me master!” she says knowingly, touselling his hair.

The sha’ir will ask around to see if anyone knows where the group have gone. Once the locals point out the mystics lair the halfling will sigh and settle in to wait upon their return.

Well now I am not exhausted we can at least live it up a little! A large wide grin spreads over the wind gen’s face as she flies to the bar to order drinks and a platter of local food.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

Re: Chapter #4: Adventure #4 Eleven Baneful Gates - Part 1

#329 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Munjid approaches Jamal "So what do you plan to do now with your friends all gone to the Valley of Echos?" the man looks to be in a good mood knowing the one that had previously indicated his daughter to be a prostitute is gone for a day or two.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal thinks for a while. ”I think I am happy to rest and luxuriate with my good gen here. I may even give her a few days off for being such a pleasure!” the halfling says thoughtfully, pricking Alara’s ears up no end.

What is there to do here in Talv do you know? Also.. he says conspiratorially, leaning in to catch the innkeepers attention and draw him closer, Alara floating closer as well to make sure she misses nothing, I wanted to ask around about something called the 11 Baleful Hayes or Baneful Gates or something like that! Anyone in Talv a bit of a sage or local historian in this town? Have you ever heard of them?”

The halfling pays for a second night in the luxury suite, and begins by wizard locking the windows and the doors, and placing magic mouth spells at each opening to go off if they open without Alara or himself entering, and shouting “WARNING, INTRUDER ALERT, INTRUDER ALERT, IN THE HALFLING’S ROOM!”

He will also spend some time casting ESP and eavesdropping on the thoughts of the patrols within the tavern and the main square.

[1d100] = 47 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 : [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10
[1d100] = 25 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10
[1d100] = 55 : [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 : [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 5+4 = 9
[1d100] = 59 : [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3 : [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 : [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 : [1d6+4] = 4+4 = 8
[1d100] = 15 : [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3 : [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 : [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 : [1d6+4] = 4+4 = 8
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#331 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Storm11 wrote:Jamal thinks for a while. ”I think I am happy to rest and luxuriate with my good gen here. I may even give her a few days off for being such a pleasure!” the halfling says thoughtfully, pricking Alara’s ears up no end.

What is there to do here in Talv do you know? Also.. he says conspiratorially, leaning in to catch the innkeepers attention and draw him closer, Alara floating closer as well to make sure she misses nothing, I wanted to ask around about something called the 11 Baleful Hayes or Baneful Gates or something like that! Anyone in Talv a bit of a sage or local historian in this town? Have you ever heard of them?”
Munjid points to the gaming table in his tavern "Well do you play Shatranj (chess)? The table is vacant if you wish to. But here in town we do have some different entertainment some of the different herders have goat races and there is betting on such races. If you wish for companionship there are some local brothels that could provide that for you. We do have a small library that a is run by an Ajami or out-lander wizard as some call him. He may have some more information for you on the 11 baneful gates. I do remember stories of this but not enough to likely tell you more than you may already know. This is in the ruins of Al-Anwahr. There was another group months ago that passed through here heading to the same location though they never came back through here. I hope this information is of some help to you."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal tries to keep a neutral face at the goat herding, bisibky pales at the idea of paying for sexual favours from humans, but his ears pick up at the mention of a human foreign wizard who may know more about the gates.

”The game possibly, a little later. For now directions to this outlander wizard would be most welcome. Thank you kindly, most helpful indeed!” the halfling sha’ir says amiably hands over a silver coin for the man’s trouble. Come Alara

He and the djinnling magically ward their room as above and then head out to find this Outland ajami, following the directions the innkeeper offers. On the way he will send Alara for a flaming sphere spell, just in case.

[1d100] = 14 : [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3 : [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 : [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6 : [1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7

Once there he will wait the five minutes it takes Alara to return successfully with the spell, keep the component handily in his pocket and knock loudly three times and wait for the wizard to answer.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#333 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Munjid smiles "Very well we will play later. I hope I did not offend by mentioning paying for company. I only mention as I know some are only able to find companionship in such a manner. As for directions if you leave here go down the road until you see the fountain in the town proper. Take a left there and his shop is on the right side of the street looks like a half build wizards tower. You can't miss it. The sign will say 'Montillo's Athenaeum' the sign is shaped similar to a tome."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal gives the innkeep a wink and gestures all along himself from top to toe. This, speaks for itself when it comes to matters of the heart my good man.” Alara rolls her eye and stifles a sharp laugh with a cough. ”It’s a bit dry out here isn’t it!” she says innocently when the sha’ir shoots her a glare of suspicion.

He will follow the actions above with regards his room, spell requisition and heading to the atheaneum
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#335 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo's Atheaneum

Jamal follows Munjid's directions and comes to what looks as described to be a half build wizard tower. The rounded white stone structure has only two stories that you can see and a cone shaped roof that may contain the owners dwelling quarters. Sure enough there is a small sort of porch off the front door with a wooden sign hanging proudly cut in the shape of a large tome that says 'Montillo's Atheaneum' in fancy looking fonts. The tower has arched windows with nice looking colored glass that have the depictions of tomes both open and closed it's quite elaborately done. Upon entering the library Jamal sees many bookshelves loaded with books of all sorts. There is a semi-circular desk or counter in the middle of the place with the shelves in a circular pattern surrounding it spaced enough so that a fairly rotund person could fit between the shelves without knocking the books over. At the desk is a man with a book opened reading from the looks of it from some sort of book that he is very drawn into. He doesn't appear to notice Jamal straight away.

Then a sound of a bell sounds and the man looks up from his book to greet Jamal at first you would think the bell sound a bit delayed and then Jamal remembers there was no bell near the door when he entered. However it doesn't take long before Jamal considers his own alarm system in his room back at the inn and realizes the librarian must have similar in place here at the library.

Montillo looks up from his book the man appears to be roughly in his 40's he has a slightly graying beard trimmed in a neat goatee his hair is short and black he wears a wide brimmed dark green hat with a feather that looks to be of a peacock possibly. He wears a matching dark green robe of a mage and has glasses. "Ah a knowledge seeker. Very good how might I be of service to you? I am Montillo the collector and keeper of the books herein."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal bows somewhat impressed. Alara drifts off into the rafters instantly nosey about what’s around.

”Hello there, Mr Montillo, a pleasure to meet you. I am indeed a fellow knowledge seeker. Specific knowledge in fact. I am here seeking information on something called the Eleven Baneful Gates, and Al-Anwahr. How much would it cost to employ your services? Also, do you have any unique spells you can perform for me to watch! I do love watching others perform some powerful magic!”
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#337 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Storm11 wrote:Jamal bows somewhat impressed. Alara drifts off into the rafters instantly nosey about what’s around.

”Hello there, Mr Montillo, a pleasure to meet you. I am indeed a fellow knowledge seeker. Specific knowledge in fact. I am here seeking information on something called the Eleven Baneful Gates, and Al-Anwahr. How much would it cost to employ your services? Also, do you have any unique spells you can perform for me to watch! I do love watching others perform some powerful magic!”
Alara floating around sees there are so many books to list off their titles alone would take a day or more. The gen does notice there is one section that appears to be a collection of all of Volothamp Geddarm's writings. Everything from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical to Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast all ordered in an alphabetical manner.

Montillo "Ah perfect. Oh I see you must be a Sha'ir and this must be your gen. Fascinating! I've always wondered how it would be to commune with gens to obtain spells." refocusing on the subject Jamal seeks "Hmm I think I had some books on the Burning Lands & Haunted Lands around here somewhere. That might be of some use. As that is the location of the ruins of Al-Anwahr." then the other question sinks in about teaching magic to Jamal "Hmm well how are you with illusions? I might be able to teach you a spell or two for a price. As you know wizards we don't just give away our magic knowledge willy nilly." the man clearly a foreigner in his speech patterns and accent states. "But I suppose if you can pay the price of a sapphire gem I might be able to show you mirror image. I would be willing to also teach you the Comprehend Languages spell if you so desire. But first lets look for that book." he sets off toward a set of shelves where he believes the local history books to be. "As I recall Azaltin ibn Issad was the ruler of the city during this time of prosperity. Much of Al-Anwahr was destroyed during a civil war between Azaltin and his brother, Amakim. If I remember the local history correctly." he adds while leading Jamal around to the book he is seeking.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal sniffs offended. Mirror Image! I am not some green apprentice sir. I know both of those already. I don’t need you to teach me, I just wish you to show me something spectacular. No teaching required. Azaltin is it? My their parents sure did love the letter A! Sibling rivalry was it? Tsk tsk. I hear ya! Nasty business. But to lose a whole empire over it. the sha’ir says whilst walking around following the tall lanky wizard.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#339 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Montillo "Ah sorry I did not mean to offend. How about....Leomund's Trap do you know that one?" the man asks politely while stopping at the shelf and sifting through the books. Pulling the sought after book Montillo opens the book thumbs through and find the only entry about Al-Anwahr. "Hmm well the book doesn't have much for information on Al-Anwahr. But here is what it says." he pauses a moment and clears his throat "Al-Anwahr was an ancient ruin found along the northern reaches of the Haunted Lands in a region known as the Burning Lands. Al-Anwahr was a powerful city-state during the 5th century DR. At that time the lands surrounding the city were quite fertile, allowing the city to flourish in the surrounding harsh environment. Al-Anwahr was found wedged between the blistering Great Anvil and the Sea of Salt. Azaltin ibn Issad was the ruler of the city during this time of prosperity. Much of Al-Anwahr was destroyed during a civil war between Azaltin and his brother, Amakim. The rulers of Muluk, the City of Kings, can trace their lineage back to Al-Anwahr." looking less than impressed he flips through some more of the pages...."Hmm, well no that is all there is about the ruins. But it appears I did remember correctly."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal listens intently, nodding at the directions and the name of the ruler.

Well we have directions and some names to go on. I don’t suppose it says who won the civil war does it, or what the beef was about? the halfling asks hopefully.

After the ajami mage is done, Jamal shakes his head. I was thinking of something abit more flashy and impressive. Not to worry. We have a wealth of elemental magic here in Zakhara, I was wondering if you could show me something different from your own lands? Where do you hail from outlander?
Greys Campaign.

Return to “Archive”