Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 202

#801 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Before we get to the end of our adventure, I think we ought to discuss our return to Idmi.

We have their shield, at least. But we are one dwarf shy of what we started with. It isn't just that he's dead, but we don't have a body. Bremen really, really, really, really wants good relations with the Blackhelms, and this puts a big wrinkle in that. Bremen is, of course, happy to pass all the blame for Dorbeck onto Baxtaw (as the party leader), of course, but I don't think the Seneschal will see it the same way. So at some point, we need to discuss what we're willing to offer them in compensation to maintain good standing. I think some sort of statue (in Dorbeck's honor) or the like would be good, along with not putting up a fuss over their heirlooms. Bremen plans to offer a more on top of that, but that's his own deal.

We can (and should) discuss it in character, but I wanted to float it to you all so you can think on it, too.

Bremen looks around and is surprised to see a distinct lack of sledges. Grab the sacks and let's be off then. Let the the Blackhelms deal with these rats.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#802 Post by Zhym »

"Smart choice!" calls out Lug to the goblins, either not knowing or not caring whether they understand him. He grabs his sack of gold and whatever other loot he can carry and makes for the stairs.

Will we pass by Dorbeck's corpse on the way out? Someone mentioned a few pages back that it's a shame we didn't bring his corpse with us, what with the Blackhelm having that Rod of Resurrection. Bringing his body back might go some way toward making amends.

But I think it's up to each PC to decide how much they want loot vs. good standing with the Blackhelm clan. And that's hard to answer until we know what the dwarves' heirlooms are worth.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#803 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:A rattle-rattle-clang down the hallway behind you is the unmistakable sound of the portcullis retracting up into the ceiling. You then hear a crunching, chewing noise that is wholly disturbing.
Hence my comment that I had been joking about bringing dwarfs as dragon snacks. :P

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#804 Post by Zhym »

Oh, right. Well, maybe the dwarves can find enough of Dorbeck's remains for a resurrection inside Scatha's corpse. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#805 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Too bad we didn't ID magic before (I thought the post with items of interest, like the black robe, marked in purple was indicating stuff we found that was magic. Guess not).
Oh, you mean here? Yeah, I try to mark treasure in-general in purple text. Sorry for the confusion.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#806 Post by Marullus »

The group decides to take the offer, moving immediately before the still unfriendly goblins change their fickle minds. You hear snarls in the darkness from the wargs as the goblin handlers back them further up the hallway. In fact, you never get close enough for your torches to illuminate the goblins or wargs - they stay in the deep darkness and shout their directions to you. You advance the short way up the grand hallway to where the branch to the stair awaits. They yell at you to take the branch, perhaps unaware that you came in that way and know its location.

Piers is able to bear the torch as everyone else hauls along as much treasure (literally) as they can carry. Once you're all down the hallway, you hear the wargs hemming you in at the intersection behind, ensuring you don't return. The goblins hurl a few parting insults at you with sneers of derision.

With effort, those pushing the carts are able to push them up, step-by-step, from below. Strangely, the dwarven construction seems to fit the carts to the stair, making it possible where you assumed it shouldn't be. Those hauling sacks make their way as well, everyone moving at a slow trudge (1/4 speed) to get your goods up at least seven stories.

You come to the dwarven training room above where you fought the goblins on your way in. The bodies are more fetid, but not yet burst open with rot. Thankfully, they are all still dead and no more goblins seem to have arrived. The training room has the runed marble cylinder that you found on the way in and decided to leave for later carrying. Piers is able to heft it along while still holding the torch.

All together, it takes you almost six hours to trudge the whole way up the stairs at your slow pace and reach the hidden alcove on the mountainside where you see the first sunlight you've seen in a full two days. (Subtract final six torches.)

You're reached the top! You have all your loot. You feel quite proud of your accomplishments.

As you reach the top of the stairs, you are surprised to see the tiny alcove is completely packed with soldiers and horses, crouched knee-to-knee to fit, like salted fish in a can. Sunlight filters through the arrow slits in the stone from the brisk and sunny afternoon outside but the knights looks exhausted and terrified, no semblance of a camp, here. As their Lord Commander Bremen comes into sight, they try to rise and come to attention, but the close proximity to the unhappy horses hinders the attempt.

Their lieutenant explains. "It seemed a good enough campsite here outside, on the mountainside, and we bedded down for the night to await your return. While we slept, a passel of goblins snuck into camp, ransacking our rations and gear. We woke and scared them off well enough, and I put the tired guard on punishment duties. Figured that was well enough. Round about dawn, though, the last-watch guard hears a scraping on the stone and looks up on the mountain slope above us. A dragon, its scales all white, clinging to the rock! It was just watching him, like an eagle watches a mouse. He screamed and woke us all, and we got everyone in here before any got eaten."

He pauses, haggared. "The next day was pretty uneventful. A pair of giants, all made of stone, lumbered past, but they didn't take an interest in us. We got back in here behind the door again. After that we got rid of the campsite completely and we spent the second night holed up in here. Bit crowded. Can't say anyone rightly slept. At least we were awake when the white dragon came back at dawn once more. This time it sniffed around, coming down to where our campsite was, likely hungrier for our horsemeat. We stayed inside and it flew off. We haven't been outside all day, not even t' pee." A couple of folks look guilty at the dirty looks they get from their peers.

(They're out of food and have a -2 penalty from no rest.)

Date: 2:00pm, 27 July 2021
Light: Piers' torch (until 2:30am)
Effects: None
Injuries: Bremen (moderately wounded), Baxtaw (minorly wounded), Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#807 Post by Zhym »

"Sounds rough," says Lug. He reaches into his pack and pulls out a week's worth of rations and hands it around to the troops. "I hope we don't run into them on our way outta here. Although I could use a white dragon shield to go with my red dragon armor..."

-7 days rations.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#808 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers sighs heavily. "One dragon should be enough for any man's lifetime...The irony of being killed by a dragon after killing Scatha would be supreme." He shrugs. "Since it knows we're in here, are we going to rest up over night and kill it when it returns again?

Don't white dragons breathe ice or something? I have a spell that would help to resist that kind of cold""
he adds, trying to be helpful.

Last two torches deducted.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#809 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw has 8 days of rations left gives Bremens troop 6 of them and keeps 2. Here you go men. He begins blocking off the stairwell so that goblins or wargs do not attack from below as they rest. Goblins down below us and a another dragon outside waiting to eat us.

How many men does Bremen have here. Is there enough to take on the goblins and leave from the front exit? It problably would not matter the dragon will be waiting for us problably on any exit we use.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#810 Post by Marullus »

It turns out that the group ran out of torches only part way up the stairwell - you spent the last three hours of the climb in the pitch-black utter darkness. Baxtaw took the lead, being able to guide the blind humans as you moved step-by-step up the stair. On the positive side, your loads were so heavy that you couldn't possibly move slower, so the darkness is not much of an impediment.

Lug lifted the portcullis when you reached it and lets it drop again behind you. Baxtaw also barricades the stair where it reaches the living quarters with the tables and furnishings from the goblin barricade. Between the two measures, any pursuers will be impeded and you are hopeful you'll hear the rattling of the portcullis, at least, to get warning.

The soldiers are grateful for the shared rations from Lug and also that their waiting is ended; they eat their dinner and seem in better spirits. There are six soldiers, nine war horses, and now nine more of you. It is entirely too many to fit in the 20x20 space comfortably. The soldiers are happy to let your party cram in with the horses and they descend the stair to the Sun Fields hallway just one stairway down so they can spread out a bit more comfortably and get some real rest. Clouson, Stantz, Rowine, and Crowgar go down to the storage room for the same reason. The rest of the party, warmed by the horses body heat enough to eschew a campfire, are so tired from their treasure-carrying exertions that they get drift off easily.

Dawn comes without a return visit from the supposed white dragon. Everyone is well rested and grateful to see a new day's dawning. The soldiers eat the rest of the rations they were given by Baxtaw, renewed and pleased. The sun shines on the mountainside and plans must be made.

All PCs need to subtract 1 day's rations.

You have 1,120 lbs of treasure (plus 60lbs of gear each already) - state how you array it for your trip to town. Also, state any actions you take before you head to town.

Depending on speed, it is a half-day around the mountainside, then 32 miles back to Gaul. State any special plans for your trip as well.

Date: 7:00am, 28 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: Bremen (moderately wounded), Baxtaw (minorly wounded), Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#811 Post by Zhym »

Nine war horses should be able to carry 1120 lbs of treasure easily enough, right? Is there anything we need to do other than to get started?

Are we all heading to Gaul? Including Bremen?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#812 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#813 Post by Zhym »

Sorry—what do you need from us, exactly? Or are you waiting for people other than me to weigh in? Am I wrong that 1120 lbs is trivial to distribute among 9 war horses?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#814 Post by Marullus »

Waiting for others to weigh-in besides you. :)

I need everyone to subtract rations.

I need to know any actions you take before you head to town.

You raise a good point and we need to know if Bremen/Knights ARE going to Gaul, or if you're going to I'didmi'dum, or if you're going to circumvent Gaul and get to Frogmorton Ford.

More specifically, I need to know if Bremen and his Knights are willing to all walk on foot to carry your gear at full speed, or if there's some other apportionment where they stay mounted and you all go 3/4 speed. I don't expect you to be heavily encumbered. I also am not doing the math.
;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#815 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry. This will take a bit more time for an IC post but, in short:

The horses will carry the riders and move at 3/4 speed, unless someone makes a good argument otherwise.
Bremen prefers to stay together as a group, and he prefers to go to Idmi D'dum first. He'll go to Gaul of that is what everyone decides, though.
Bremen wants to address his men IC, and also go check for dragon signs before leaving this shelter... He also wants to thank lug and Baxtaw for food IC.

So I'll post all that later. Sorry.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#816 Post by Zhym »

"So, where are we going, anyway?" asks Lug. "I mean, Bremen—didn't you kind of have to flee Gaul? Are they gonna be glad to see you again? We could go straight to the dwarves, but I'd rather we split all the stuff we've got in those bags before the dwarves get to look at it and claim that it's all theirs, y'know? I mean, if you want to give them the stuff we just killed a friggin' dragon to get, that's fine with me. And, hey, maybe they'll give us rewards or something. Or maybe they won't. Never can tell with dwarves. Especially what with us coming back without Dorbeck. Awkward. Anyway, that's a decision I'd rather make without a bunch of dwarves looking at me like I owe them something for killing a dragon for them."

"On the other hand, it is the closest settlement to here, and I'm in favor of getting back to civilization as soon as we can."

I've deducted a day's rations from Lug's sheet, leaving him with one day of rations left. Oh, the costs of generosity. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#817 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The Lord Commander Bremen smiles at Lug's misunderstanding. It is true that my reputation was smeared in Gaul by my former brother-in-arms, which led to a trial. But when I last left Gaul and the Archduke, it was on friendly terms. He is my loege-lord, and I am a Lord within his archduchy.

Sadly, the archbishop, Keelan, seems to be poisoned against me, but I hope time will heal that, and he will see the error of his ways. Anyone that was at the trial will see thatarod handed the Bishop a magical knife, likely ensorcelling his grace.

Anyhow, I am welcome at the Keep. But I don't know if I share your assessment of the dwarfs. I plan to return the heirlooms I gain iny share, but I would not force anyone else to.
He looks to Baxtaw for confirmation. One thing I would like to resolve upon return to Idmi D'dum is ownership of the dragon skeleton, which we should own it through dwarf Right of Conquest. (They can hardly claim it is an heirloom, can they?) If I can convince the Senechal, I would like it as part of my share from the treasure. I would erect it at the White Tower as a tribute to those of us on this expedition. Including Dorbeck. It will take money to reconstruct it and fashion brass teeth to fit in the skull, but that is something to puzzle out later.

Bremen does some calculating and determines that the party can likely move at full speed if they divvy the treasure onto 4-6 of the horses, leaving 2-4 of the party riding and scouting.

Bremen had grabbed up a bunch of short bows for his men early on so they'll have bows. They were from the corpses after the portcullis. Just wondering if those made it out, or if they needed to be dropped as we ascended.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#818 Post by Zhym »

Lug doesn't look much convinced. "Well...okay. But I still think they're gonna want all the stuff we took. But maybe we can say we got it by conquest of the dragon that conquested it from them." The big guy shrugs. "So let's get it over with, then."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#819 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:The Lord Commander Bremen smiles at Lug's misunderstanding. It is true that my reputation was smeared in Gaul by my former brother-in-arms, which led to a trial. But when I last left Gaul and the Archduke, it was on friendly terms. He is my loege-lord, and I am a Lord within his archduchy. ...Anyhow, I am welcome at the Keep.
Stantz and Clauson stare at their boots uncomfortably as Bremen their Liege condescends to Lug, but they say nothing.
Game Announcements:
Marullus wrote:The White Tower is ruled by a religious order, the Knights of Baudhil, which declares alliance with but not subservience to the Archduke of Gaul.
I was under the impression that Bremen had not submitted himself to Archduke, swearing fealty as a lesser lord. I was laying things out with him being an independent sovereign with his own appointment by Divine Right.

Is that incorrect?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#820 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Baxtaw and Piers before I move this forward. :)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”