OOC Chatter II

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter II

#941 Post by Leitz »

Marullus wrote:I said I'd "consider an option" not "all proposals are approved." I don't intend to do any work on dual-classing until someone has a serious proposal for a PC that requires me to do so. ;)
As a person who usually plays straight human, single class characters, I wouldn't be overly bothered if someone played a Dwarf Cleric, an Elf Rogue, or a Halfling Necromancer. Well, I might not want my PC to be in a party with that last one, but as a player, I don't really care. I have my own ideas for different classes, and may one day try something. Having to pay for racial benefits via XP/slower class progression seems like the only way to do it. Since dwarves and elves live longer, it shouldn't bother them. If it bothers a player, there's always "human".

What I do enjoy is when players bring a depth of fun and role-playing to their characters; something beyond the gruff dwarf or pot bellied hobbit. Or the aloof elf. There are a lot of tropes that could go away and make games a lot more enjoyable. Where's the pot-bellied elf or the hobbit with a double sided war axe? Dwarf druid? Celibate bard or lecherous paladin?It goes back to my thread about "anti-hero"; something new and different.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#942 Post by Zhym »

The current dragon encounter is a good reminder that dragons are tough, badass monsters. Our run of success against them—including Bulak's mount just before—might have lured some people into believing that dragons aren't, well, frickin' dragons.

We brought Scatha down through amazingly, astoundingly lucky rolls in relatively tight quarters where it couldn't get all of us at once with its breath weapon. And it couldn't fly. Once a dragon takes to the air, it's won. In that victory against the other black dragon, note how it wasn't quite able to get airborne, thanks in part to Marullus house-ruling (I assume) that it takes some time for a dragon to take flight (which makes a lot of sense, but then, dragons are magical creatures, so their flight can work however a DM wants to say it works). Fighting a dragon in open space is hard. It can fly; you can't. It can breathe fire or acid; you probably can't (and even if you can, the dragon is immune). Arrows versus flamethrowers: I know which side I'd bet on.

BTW, I think there was another opportunity to avoid disaster: instead of narrating Akaara's action, Spearmint could have simply had Amistad tell Akaara what he wanted her to do (had I been in charge of that expedition at the time, I probably would have insisted on that approach. NPCs, even retaiers, are their own characters, not second PCs for the player to control directly). It might have prompted a morale/loyalty check. She could have said, "Oh, hell no." Or she might have asked whether Amistad really thinks that's a good idea. Letting the DM run the NPCs can work in your favor sometimes.
Jernau35 wrote:That's certainly somewhere on the sliding scale of options he's considering :lol:
That's assuming he lives long enough to say it. ;)
Leitz wrote:What I do enjoy is when players bring a depth of fun and role-playing to their characters; something beyond the gruff dwarf or pot bellied hobbit. Or the aloof elf.
Hey! As someone who just rolled up an aloof elf, I resemble that remark!

In my defense, though, the aloofness is partly because of his charisma. And it's consistent with a race that lives much longer than others. I mean, I'm sure the squirrels in my yard think I'm aloof, too.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#943 Post by Leitz »

Zhym wrote:
Leitz wrote:What I do enjoy is when players bring a depth of fun and role-playing to their characters; something beyond the gruff dwarf or pot bellied hobbit. Or the aloof elf.
Hey! As someone who just rolled up an aloof elf, I resemble that remark!

In my defense, though, the aloofness is partly because of his charisma. And it's consistent with a race that lives much longer than others. I mean, I'm sure the squirrels in my yard think I'm aloof, too.
Hehe...Arlen has a low CHA, which wasn't my plan. However, I took the rolls as rolled to see what I could come up with. While a nice guy, and not mean or scarred in any way, he just misses all the interpersonal cues that others assume. So he seems odd, and sometimes aloof, even when he tries not to be.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#944 Post by Zhym »

Charisma is self-reinforcing. If you have it, everyone likes you, so you're friendlier, so everyone likes you, so you're friendlier. It's a virtuous circle. It also works the other way around.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#945 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:Charisma is self-reinforcing. If you have it, everyone likes you, so you're friendlier, so everyone likes you, so you're friendlier. It's a virtuous circle. It also works the other way around.

What in the heck are you talking about? Markd is nice to everyone. Hell, he even tolerated that son of a b* Bremen. And what did that get him?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#946 Post by Leitz »

There seems to be at least some who try to be nice and friendly, but it just never works. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean you can. :(

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#947 Post by Zhym »

The other way around doesn't mean the low-charisma PC is unfriendly. Just that he expects others not to like him, so he's more reserved, or cranky, or awkward—which makes others uncomfortable. He interprets that as unfriendliness and is more reserved, cranky, or awkward, etc.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#948 Post by Zhym »

FWIW, here's a "Rogues Gallery"-style update of where all the active PC are, as best as I can tell:

Adventuring (or about to be):

Aid to the Dwarf King
Charles Fawkes (Bluehorse)
Hedge (Golem)
Orodhaer Echelebion (Zhym)
Red Erik (Spearmint)
Xathor (Baldorar)

Anforthas/Hunting the Wolfwere - 10 Oct 2021
Anforthas (Baldorar)
Baxtaw Greayburst (Dram)
Casper White (hedgeknight)
Lug (Zhym)

Blackjack/Emissaries to the Orcs - 01 Oct 2021
Blackjack Amistad (Spearmint)
Isaachar (Stirling)
Piers Garrett (Jernau35)

Fingers/Wizard Tower of the Ghost Keep - 15 Oct 2021
Fingers McGraw (Zhym)
Hengist (DaveTheLost)
Idriss (Spearmint)
Markd (onlyme)

Foxy/Monoc Mages - 15 Oct 2021
Arlen (Leitz)
Foxy O'Hare (Stirling)
Gundri Gundrudson (Enoch)
Neegan Battleworx (Dram)
Pendleton Kettleworth (Zhym)
Roybarb (Bluetongue)

Golgarth/Bogling Ruins - 12 Oct 2021
Dawg Dann (Spearmint)
Galmit Treasurebrewer (GreyWolfVT)
Golgarth (Bluetongue)
Grizzly Woman (Starbeard)
Sten Danilmaga (Paul)
Tollander Kane (Jernau35)

Halfpint: Mapping the Forest - 12 Oct 2021
Berta (rossik)
Fairfax Socrates (Bluetongue)
Halfpint (onlyme)
Laila (Faanku)
Thedla (Zhym)

Undeclared/Idle/Unavailable:
Bianca Dewslinger (Bluehorse)
Clint Brockhammer (Zhym)
Griswold (rossik)
Olaf Olafssonson (Zhym)
Smoglea Glumlo (GreyWolfVT)

Inactive:
Ablesforth the Wayfarer (Rusty Tincanne)
Adalen Noas (Fulci)
Bandy Sandybanks (Alethan)
Captain Bremen (Rusty Tincanne)
Clay Weatherwax (Rusty Tincanne)
Corbin the Lucky (KingOfCowards)
Dabney (Fearghus)
Dare (MisterKent)
Delywen Haealith (Alethan)
Earc (Alethan)
Erien Laganthe (Thebadgamer98)
Grimble Gromble (sirravd)
Hereward Greenholm (Lunna)
Irving Malmstein Rosemont the Third (Keehnelf)
Malenor Windancer (Modric)
Osana (MisterKent)
Silent (Zorroroaster)
Tanor (Lobo89)
Tomal (Fidget76)
Willow of Fairweather (Alethan)
Winifred Piper (Rusty Tincanne)

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#949 Post by rossik »

i have griswold at golgarth expedition

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#950 Post by Zhym »

Gotcha. I wasn’t sure who was on that trip because the DM didn’t post the list of characters at the top of the thread.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#951 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You might want to mark that Smoglea is gone i retired the character i am not wanting to play multiple characters in one game currently.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#952 Post by Spearmint »

I think Smoglea just got melted by the black dragon in Amistad's thread.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#953 Post by Bluehorse »

I know I dont post a lot here anyway, but forgot to post this, but I am in the hospital looking for answers and will not be posting much for the next week or so. No worries! We're making progress!

GreyWolfVT

#954 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Spearmint wrote:I think Smoglea just got melted by the black dragon in Amistad's thread.
Eh with that evil sword he had probably for the best then.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#955 Post by Zhym »

Hey! That sword wasn't evil. Just a wee bit cursed is all. :)

GreyWolfVT

#956 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:Hey! That sword wasn't evil. Just a wee bit cursed is all. :)
Then why did it make a halfling change like this, a before and after image of Smoglea.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#957 Post by Leitz »

Bluehorse wrote:I know I dont post a lot here anyway, but forgot to post this, but I am in the hospital looking for answers and will not be posting much for the next week or so. No worries! We're making progress!
Prayers, pardner.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#958 Post by Marullus »

Leitz wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:I know I dont post a lot here anyway, but forgot to post this, but I am in the hospital looking for answers and will not be posting much for the next week or so. No worries! We're making progress!
Prayers, pardner.
Indeed. Praying for your speedy recovery.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#960 Post by Marullus »

Glad to hear!

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”