Extra Life

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Extra Life

#61 Post by Scott308 »

No worries. Have fun, whether you end up drowning any worms or not!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by rredmond »

It’s been a fishing trip for decades, nary a fish or fishing pole or even boat has been hurt or even used. :lol:

Good luck Scott!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308

#63 Post by Scott308 »

😆 I had a feeling! Growing up in the U.P. and now living in Wisconsin, I have heard apocryphal stories of guys going to deer camp "to hunt" but wives removed the guns and put other stuff in the cases just to test them; the deception was never noted. I don't know anyone that has actually had this happen, but living in the area you hear the story. I'm sure there are many who "hunt" the way you guys "fish!"
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Scott308

#64 Post by Scott308 »

Game day is one week from today! It is not too late to donate and help my character. Donations received allow me to earn benefits that can help keep my character alive or land a critical hit on an enemy when we desperately need it! Plus, there's the whole "helping sick kids" thing, so that's a nice thing to do, even if you don't want to help my character.

Heck, leave a comment when you donate if you want the DM to get a critical hit against me (I know my friends- somebody will donate just to do that :evil: ) or some other nefarious complication for me. Joe will be more than willing to heap misery on me, especially if you donate to an excellent cause!

This game will be streamed online in case anyone is interested in watching. I'll send out another email later in the week with the link to watch.

Thank you,

Scott

Scott308

#65 Post by Scott308 »

Game day is this Saturday, July 23rd at 10am Central time! Here is the link to the stream: https://twitch.tv/borderkingdomsadventures

I did add some official incentives that can negatively impact my character. Feel free to donate and make it more challenging!
  • $25: Force me to reroll any single d20 roll and accept the new result.
  • $50: Allows the DM to turn a normal hit against my character into a critical hit.
  • $100: Let the DM choose an ill-effect to apply to my character.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ravenn4544 »

What about some positive effects? Don’t we all get enough bad rolls for free? :)

Scott308

#67 Post by Scott308 »

I haven't been told specifics, but in the past donations have gone toward things such as allowing us to reroll, get Potions of Healing, or Raise Dead. I'm assuming that will be the case again this year, but no official announcement has been made so far.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by Bluetongue »

I tuned in. Not sure how far into the adventure you got. I left you in some lower level caves fighting all-sorts.

Scott308

#69 Post by Scott308 »

That's awesome that you watched! We got through three levels. We found the stronghold for the drow family that was the rival of the ones we were helping. Killed a bunch of miniature and demons, then gave that info to the drow we were friendly with and had them kick the others out and that was where we ended.

The level above that we killed a bunch of troglodytes, helped some cursed trolls and established an alliance with them, killed a bunch of enemy drow and took their heads back to the house we were working with. We also fought a Behir (lightning drake) that turned invisible and smacked me for 50 (out of only 69 total) when I provoked an opportunity attack since I didn't know where it moved to. I did end up at 0 hp, but had a feature that allowed me to go to 1 instead. The sleep spell it then cast put me out for the rest of the fight.

We had really bad storms during the night and a few times power flickered, forcing the wifi to restart, disrupting the stream and Roll20, which we were using so viewers could see what was going on. Unfortunately, the first time it flickered it also messed with the AC. Since nobody is typically in the store overnight, they turn off the AC. In order to have the marathon, they overrode that. But when power was lost, it reset the AC, turning it off. Since we were streaming, we had the private room, which got hot pretty quickly. We had a fan, and the door was opened, but it was still unpleasant. One of the players started getting sick from the heat so we called it at 5:15 a.m. so we only got through 19 hours instead of 24. I was still doing fine, but not everyone was.

Before we got started, I did take a moment to acknowledge Chubby Pixie for donating and picking my shirt, which was Dio. I did have someone ask about my "d10" shirt! :shock:

Scott308

#70 Post by Scott308 »

A new year, a new Extra Life campaign!

Scott308

#71 Post by Scott308 »

I don't know what I'll be playing yet, but I do know that my annual charity marathon D&D game will be August 12-13! For those unfamiliar, for the last several years, our local Adventurers League has played a 24 hour game of D&D to raise money for Extra Life, a charity that supports children's hospitals. So, far, I have raised over six thousand dollars.

All donations are tax deductible, and you can donate for different things, such as giving the DM the ability to make things more difficult for me, letting me have a potion of healing, or raising my character from the dead. Depending on what I end up playing, I may need to create a character. If so, I will accept donations to help build it, such as class, race, subclass...

You can also pick which shirt I will wear. For those who know me, I always wear a band shirt when I play RPGs in public, whether at a game store or a convention. For the right donation, you can decide which band I'll be displaying. I may be playing at the streaming table again, so you might be able to see the shirt you choose!

The link to my Extra Life page is in my signature. Please take a look, and if you are able to spare anything it would be greatly appreciated. If you know anyone who might be interested in donating, feel free to pass along the link to others.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#72 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:22 amYou can also pick which shirt I will wear. For those who know me, I always wear a band shirt when I play RPGs in public, whether at a game store or a convention. For the right donation, you can decide which band I'll be displaying. I may be playing at the streaming table again, so you might be able to see the shirt you choose!
Careful, Scott.

Careful. :lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308

#73 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:34 am
Scott308 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:22 amYou can also pick which shirt I will wear. For those who know me, I always wear a band shirt when I play RPGs in public, whether at a game store or a convention. For the right donation, you can decide which band I'll be displaying. I may be playing at the streaming table again, so you might be able to see the shirt you choose!
Careful, Scott.

Careful. :lol:
:D

I have a list of bands to choose from, so it's not like I'm going to get stuck wearing a Taylor Swift shirt or something! If somebody donates and picks a band not on the list, I don't have to wear it. Also, the list encompasses all the bands I have shirts from, so unless I want to buy a new shirt, I wouldn't be able to wear it anyway.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

Dang! So my dream of seeing you in a Debbie Gibson shirt…
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308

#75 Post by Scott308 »

Hey, maybe if you make a large enough donation...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by ravenn4544 »

I may have to donate some extra to get you a Blackbraid shirt. Just checked out this album and it is simply excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2rWLyGlso

Scott308

#77 Post by Scott308 »

That is a band I definitely have to check out, but I would not want a shirt. I have not seen them in concert, so my rule is that I only get shirts from bands I have seen live. This can be a pain sometimes since there are some cool shirts by bands I want to see but have not, but it does help reign me in since it limits my options. Granted, I have seen a pretty good number of bands, but there are still tons I have not seen.

Scott308

#78 Post by Scott308 »

I will be playing at the streaming table again this year, and I just added some new incentives. You can pick my character's class, race, or give them a catch phrase or personality quirk.

Scott308

#79 Post by Scott308 »

Here is the email I just sent to people:
Saturday is the big day! I'll be playing 24 hours of Dungeons & Dragons starting at 10 am Central time on Saturday, August 12th. Several people have donated already, but it is not too late to donate if you were thinking about it. There are several opportunities to help my character, or make it more challenging for me if you prefer to go that route. And the incentive for picking the band whose shirt I'll wear is still available! That one has gone quickly in years past and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been selected yet. Any donation is helpful, but if you can't donate, that's ok.

The game I'm playing will be streamed, the link is here: https://www.twitch.tv/borderkingdomsadventures and it is also on my donation page. You will be able to donate through the stream, so if you feel we need help (or are doing too well) you can select a donation to impact the game. This is the seventh year I have been doing this, and I am currently sitting at $6982 raised over that span. I'd love to see that total grow to at least $7000!
I'll be playing a Duergar Fighter. Earlier this year I got a certificate for a special background, from the Return to the Ghost Tower of Inverness event a few years ago. Anyway, my character has apparently been in the Ghost Tower, and I'm signed up to play both The Ghost Tower of Inverness and Return to the GToI at Gamehole this October, both run by Allen Hammack, creator of the original Ghost Tower module in 1979.

Scott308

#80 Post by Scott308 »

Here is the stream link. You can donate to help or hurt us. https://www.twitch.tv/borderkingdomsadventures

Return to “General RPG discussion”