Extra Life

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Extra Life

#21 Post by rredmond »

Great story Scott. And congratulations! Sounds awesome all around!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#22 Post by Scott308 »

Now that it is 2019, I was able to make my fundraising page for this year! We don't know exact details yet, but it'll be this summer.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott-Peterson
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308

#23 Post by Scott308 »

Details have been announced! On July 20th, we shall once more descend into the Dungeon of the Mad Mage, picking up where we left off last year. I raised $1,111 for our last fundraiser and hope to surpass that total this year.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott-Peterson
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rukellian »

Here is something to get the ball rolling. Hope you enjoy your time at the event again!
2019 Extra Life.JPG
2019 Extra Life.JPG (79.65 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

You are always super-generous Brandon!
Be well!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

DAAAAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!!!!

That is totally awesome Ruk!!!

It warms my dark heart to see those who can help, doing so.

Very cool, man!!!

Looks like Scott should have no problem crushing his record from last year with that kind gesture, sir. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:Here is something to get the ball rolling. Hope you enjoy your time at the event again!
That is super awesome, man. Mine was a couple zeroes short of yours, but every little bit helps, right? :D
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

P.S.

Already.
80.png
80.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by rredmond »

:shock: :ugeek:

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by ravenn4544 »

that's awesome :)

Scott308

#31 Post by Scott308 »

Thank you so much, everyone! I have surpassed my original goal, almost exclusively through the generosity of people here. As I told Ravenn, I am humbled by the support of people who I only know through playing games here. I am honored to be a member of the wonderful community that we have created here. And while I am certainly grateful to those in a position where they can help on a larger scale, all donations are important. There are so many worthy places people can send their money, I am always surprised and awed that anyone feels my cause is worth supporting.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Scott308

#32 Post by Scott308 »

One week from today! I have been given permission to accept in-game rewards for various donation levels, so please take a look. Thank you!

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Norjax »

Scott308 wrote:One week from today! I have been given permission to accept in-game rewards for various donation levels, so please take a look. Thank you!
Great Idea!

Scott308

#34 Post by Scott308 »

My game is tomorrow, so I won't be likely to hit the site until possibly Sunday night. If I don't post in any of the games I'm in, that's why.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by dmw71 »

Good luck, man. Have fun!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#36 Post by Scott308 »

Three hours to go!

Scott308

#37 Post by Scott308 »

Another marathon finished! I'm going on three hours of sleep right now, we'll see how well I function tomorrow. The game went great! My DM allowed me to assign money towards rewards as I needed them instead of going through and "buying" the rewards at the start. Because I was fortunate to raise so much money, at one point I donated a free resurrection to each table. I know that the table playing at the epic tier, level 21+, ended up using it when a Death Knight (which was added thanks to one of the players at our table donating to that DM) with a Nine-Lives Stealer sword hit the rogue with a crit. One failed save later, and her life force was ripped out of her, killing her instantly. I'm not sure how many others got used, but people were happy that they had a safety net. One guy gave me a hug when I told their table they were getting the free res. Otherwise, I generally tried to avoid using things until we got desperate. I used an auto-crit on both my attacks in the final battle to kill the demon we were facing. I used another auto-crit when we were facing a necromancer, skeletons, zombies, and skeletal hands (we were still first level at this point, mind you) and four of the seven characters, including my barbarian and the cleric, were incapacitated. My death save auto crit allowed me to regain 1 hit point and get back into the fight against the necromancer, which let the paladin lay hands on the cleric, who would have failed his third and final death save on his turn (he rolled just to see what would have happened). The paladin's method of laying on hands to unconscious characters was to kick them and say, "Hey, wake up!" as she gave them one hit point back. :lol: It really looked like we might have been TPK'd during that fight.

Overall, we had a lot of fun and raised a lot of money for a worthy charity. My total came in at $1,473, blowing away my original goal! Thank you so much to everyone here for supporting me, whether you donated or not. By just playing games here, it allows such a wonderful community to exist and enable me to raise money to help sick children. I'm looking forward to my next marathon, which will take place at Gamehole Con in Madison on November 1st. I registered during the marathon (in the middle of combat, of course) and it is being run by different people as part of the convention instead of a separate event like the marathon my organization runs each year, so we'll see how this one goes. It will be streamed, more info on that later.

Thank you.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rukellian »

Hey, I'm glad this year's charity event was just as fun! It's great being able to do something you love while also supporting a good cause and I will continue to support this event so long as I have a decent job. Kudos to you for signing up for the next event this year :)
I intend on donating again to your charity fund, but it may not be as much as the previous amount. Can't guarantee it will be 4 digits :lol: But I shall definitely set some money aside.
It's also awesome how you were able to help out those other groups as well! Feel good coolness right there.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Scott308

#39 Post by Scott308 »

Thank you, Ruke! In the past the Adventurers League admins had given permission for magic items and leveling up based on donations, as well as rewarding everyone with a certificate for a free resurrection. This year, they did not, so I had money available. I figured that since people gave generously to me, I would spread some around to those who are not lucky enough to have such generous friends. It felt pretty good, especially when I heard someone ended up needing the help.

Scott308

#40 Post by Scott308 »

If anyone is looking for an end of the year tax write-off, my Extra Life campaign is open through the rest of the year. Sometime on the 1st, I'll be putting together my page for 2020 if anyone is interested in starting the new year with a donation.

Thank you everyone for your generosity and support. I wouldn't have been able to help anywhere near as many sick children without the help I have received from this wonderful community.

Return to “General RPG discussion”