The Witchwood

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Witchwood

#21 Post by Marullus »

Mother Lita examines the tooth, the miniature dragon fading into view on her shoulder as her eyes swirl with a milky whiteness. "Walnut staff... Very good... This dragon suffered greatly; it wove earth magics into it's being to stop the pain." She looks at the tooth compassionately and holds the staff. The staff grows, it's knob-end writhing and winding around the tooth's base, securing the two together. "Two made whole." She smiles, handing it back to Willow.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

"Thank you, Mother," Willow replies. "Powerful earth magics? That sounds like... something I am in tune with." She receives the staff with a bow of her head.

Then she pauses and adds, "There... there is one other thing I need assistance with, Mother."

"On our last venture to explore the lands, we came upon an old tower sinking in a swamp. Winnie spoke with some nearby swamp rats and they were afraid of the place. They said the witches within turn stone statues into mud, which makes no sense to me. But we were offered hospitality and, as our goal was to peacefully meet with the denizens of the area."

"But apparently the food was drugged and put many of us under some sort of charm. Then... I was requested to receive a reading from the witches. Under the influence of the charm, I wasn't able to resist them and... I believe they used it to put me under some sort of a geas. They want me to travel north and retrieve an item of power for them that will greatly increase their own power. I think that would be bad for the land! But... I'm not sure how to remove this spell and I fear bad things will happen to me if I refuse it. I do not know what to do, so I've come to you for advice."

She pauses for a moment and then adds, "There was one other thing of note. After the readings, Winnie attempted to touch some of the Taro cards the witches used for my reading. The room instantly filled with the sounds of dozens of snakes hissing. But I was unable to determine the source!"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

August 19, 2021
Mother Lita considers your words carefully. "It is a strange thing, wishing and planning... things may happen as we ask but not as we wish, might they not? It is a dangerous thing, sending intentions into the world with ill intent. They multiply and return manifold..."

She pauses thoughtfully, then sits under the massive white birch. "In their desire for power, they have told you important things, trusting in the weaving of magic to ensure them. They have told you of a powerful artifact. Given a map of an Ellurian ruin. Lastly, they have told you were the artifact is best used. These are useful pieces of information, are they not?"

The miniature dragon flaps up into the branches above, blending within the leaves until you lose sight of it. "I see three options before you: complete the task within the bounds of their enchantment. Refuse the magic and accept the consequences as the magic runs its course. Become equally indebted to another, removing the first geas but accepting their price." She calmly plaits her hair. "All magic has its price, and these prices cannot be denied... It is not within my power to remove their magic from you, so your debt cannot transfer to me. This choice of the three avenues is yours alone. I will advise this: magic, once woven, follows its course. Even in unravelling it there is cost. But just because you follow the magic's course does not mean you must meet at these sorceresses intention." She lets the last phase hang, but then says no more.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Willow thinks over the words of the hissing-snake witches who change statues to mud (ohhh!) carefully and then her eyebrows raise as she realizes something.

"You are correct, Mother, the effects of their charms have worn off, so I feel no obligation to help them, only to retrieve this object. They compel me to retrieve the Glass Pillar, and to bring it to the Center of All Things, as they call it, but they said nothing about me giving it to them, did they? That is a flaw in their plan..."

She stands.

"It is a flaw I can use. Thank you, Mother. I believe Clay is leaving shortly to head in the northerly direction. I will ask him if we can combine our goals in order to help me retrieve this pillar AND thwart the plans of these hissing-snake witches..."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

Winnie let Bianca, Willow and Barre travel ahead to the Sacred Grove. I'd like to tell of our journey North. People need to know there is a second dragon so close, and that those women-snakes are able to charm people and elves, and they are in league with snakes. It is all very serious.
As the faithful of Beith return and gather, Mother Lita tells them solemnly, "There is a danger of which you should know, the unearthly howling which startled you before you left did not depart. It came closer, seeking, and violated the grove. No magic in my possession was sufficient to keep it at bay and it possesses the intelligence equal to a man, not a beast. Numen and I concealed ourselves and the grove proper, but it searched thoroughly. Not finding what it sought (which must not have been ourselves), it moved on and we did not confront it. It has the form of both wolf and man, but larger than a bear, rising bipedal, with hands and glowing orange eyes."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

"A shape-shifter? In the grove?" Willow asks, incredulously. "That's terrible news, Mother!"

"But... it appears to have left? I wonder what it was seeking..."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Remains attentive, listening. Bianca tries to remember if she ever read anything in her studies that could reveal a clue about the creature or what it could be doing.

i forget if i should roll for something like this.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

No, clues already exist IC.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Bluehorse »

Thank you

Bianca goes to Willow a short time later. Do you think there is a connection to our expedition? All the witches we came across were shapeshifters or at least capable of disguising themselves. Perhaps we should got ask Numen their thoughts on what happened?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Willow shrugs, "I don't know... it doesn't seem to be. Disguising yourself is one thing, but it appears this is an actual lycanthrope, a were-creature. I've heard no stories of them in the north..."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

who is/are Numen?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Numen is Mother Lita's pseudodragon familiar.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca
Alethan wrote:Willow shrugs, "I don't know... it doesn't seem to be. Disguising yourself is one thing, but it appears this is an actual lycanthrope, a were-creature. I've heard no stories of them in the north..."
The elf shakes her head. Neither have I. We will need to be extra cautious. I think we should warn the people in Beith's watch, especially get the word out to the rangers and hunters there. We don't want them stumbling upon a beast like that unprepared... whatever that might look like.

She turns and notices the addition to her Sister's staff. That is interesting... I think it suites you.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Willow smiles and nods her head in response, "Thank you, sister. I feel quite attuned to it already. I feel the earth magic in this dragon's tooth spreading quickly through the walnut staff. I believe it will be useful in helping to keep balance."

She thinks for a moment and says, "I shall call it the Staff of Parity."

OOC: This is a wonderful play on words, as well, since Parity means balance but also the staff has a magical level that grants it a -1 AC bonus (parrying) vs. Dragons.

I love words.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie returns to the Witchwood on Aug 19 and briefly catches up with Bianca and Willow before they head North. She tells the story about her failed song, laughing about it in retrospect. But it led me to meet the owner of the Goode Dogge Shoppe. He has invited me to explore an old ruin that might have been the home of a sorcerer. And I struck a deal with another willworker named Pendleton. That took a few days...[/dioalog] She pauses and blushes. Bianca, I wanted to rush out here when I heard about the werewolf. I heard the Witchwood was safe, so I finished my business. I am SO glad you two are safe. She gives both of her sisters hugs, adding a compliment for Willow's staff. May it direct your magics well. When she hears about their own expedition, she demands they both stay safe, then blushes when she hears Clint will be going with them. There were a few verses about him in my song... she admits. Too much wine on an empty stomach, too little insight. She laughs it off but turns serious again as she learns of Willow's geas. They didn't read my fortune, just yours and Malenor's. I'm going back to town in a few days. I will talk to Malenor - to see if he is bound like you. And I can warn the dwarf, Neegan.

Winnie sees the pair off with Barre in tow, staying as calm as she can, and when they are gone she runs to a hazel tree, its nuts just starting to form, and kneels beneath it. With tears rolling down her cheeks, she draws sacred symbols on the ground and prays for the safety of her friends as they venture north. She ends with an ancient song, one her mother sang to her as a child. Her voice cracks throughout, but eventually her catharsis runs its course. The young witch rises and composes herself. She located Mother Leta and hands over two spell books. The men these belonged to are now dead - we found these beneath the goblin tower. I have copied their spells and want to donate them to our coven for our shared knowledge. Winnie explains she plans to join an expedition heading to the (hopefully) abandoned tower of a wizard of old. I hope to find more ancient magics to bring to my Sisters.

10 spell levels:

Elven Spellbook (of Gaeron):
- Magic Missile (1st)
- Sleep (1st)
- Read Magic (1st)
- Invisibility (2nd)

Human Spellbook (of the wizard Dorath):
- Detect Magic (1st)
- Read Magic (1st)
- Floating Disc (1st)
- Web (2nd)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower approaches the Witchwood grove on his horse, Gwegwin, and dismounts.

"Hello?" he calls out, tentatively, "Mother Lita? It's Earc, of Toll's Tower. I was told by Winnie and Bianca that you could help me with a spell..."

Earc asks Mother Lita for help with learning two spells - Summons Familiar and Floating Disc. In exchange, he offers her a spell book bound in green goblin skin...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

(Backdated) Around August 6-7, 2021

Mother Lita greets Earc and is pleased to speak with him on matters of mystical importance. She finds his requests suitable and accepts his offer to exchange knowledge.

While present, Earc also learns of the strange howling and the violation of the grove which occurred only the week before. "It is a dire portent for all in Gaul," she reflects as she tells him.

Earc scribes into his spellbook and departs.
Third spellbook added to the Witches' library:

A book covered in mottle-green goblin skin with a bisected circle brand upon it.
- Read Magic, Protection from Evil, Detect Magic, Shield
Idiom: swirling symbology, structure of ideal forms, and positive-material energy

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca unsure of current time

She stood there, looking up at the tower that for all intents and purposes was her creation. She had been lucky to make it back after so long. They all had been... but the payoff for the long journey had been a good one. The value to her, though, was not the gold, gems, or jewelry. It had been what they allowed her to do for her sisters and the other followers of her Goddess, Beith.
She had sat and worked with the architect long hours, discussing what this edifice should look like and how to make it functional for the sisters who could now pack away the tents and pavilions they had resided in for so long, and have a permanent bastion and home. A safe place to store their knowledge and treasures. A safe place to study and share.
She looked up. Five stories high. The round tower was almost like a giant stone monolith with glazed windows that reflected the setting sun. It seemed so surreal to her, and despite her heavy involvement of everything from design to furnishings, she could hardly comprehend the final product. Finally as the sun set, she quietly entered the tower through the double steel doors and climbed the spiraling staircase up.
The twist going up and to the right. it makes it harder for soldiers to fight since most are right handed and easier to fight back if you are going down to meet them the designer had said. She understood why better now as she thought of this during her assent.
She also saw the large bucket rise up beside her to disappear into floors above. Another convenient addition that kept them supplied with water on all levels. She smiled at the thought.
Finally, she came to the room she intended. Opening the heavy door of the treasury, she deposited the first items she would dedicate to what would hopefully be a growing store of tools and supplies for their order. She left the Potion of Dragon Control, clearly labeled with name and effects, (LL p.111) Charm Green Dragon 5d4 rounds., the Dusty Potion, and Ruddy Brown Orcish Potion, both labels effects unknown.
That done, she would head back down to one of the none descript Residential Apartments to claim as her own and spend a night in meditation and rest.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Marullus »

October 15, 2021
Mother Lita is grateful for the options and pleased with the tower. Naturalistic though they are, she is grateful for the warmth and security the tower will provide the coven in the coming winter months. She identifies the potions as well and arranges the treasury for when a faithful coven member has need.(See initial post)

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Beith's Watch”