Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#181 Post by Ludanto »

Unfortunately, the bright lights push the Obstacle to 3. :(

It takes way too long to complete, but eventually the map is recreated and updated with the latest information. Unfortunately, it was a grueling process. With the constant squinting into the bright lights and the stress of trying to prove himself to the others, Berry finds himself exhausted and headache-y.

The task was trying for his helpers as well. Though they avoided becoming angry at his novice mistakes, their constant explanations and re-explanations leave them quite parched.

And now, something can be heard scrabbling around upstairs, in time with the little bells set up on the traps!

Berry: Exhausted
Thag, Aoife, Galen, Allric: Hungry & Thirsty

What now?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#182 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry rubs his eyes and slowly turns his gaze to look sheepishly at his comrades I'm sorry that it took so long to help me, I guess drawing doesn't come naturally. Upon hearing the sounds from upstairs, Berry draws his shield, stores his map and sighs.
I guess it's time to go off and protect our livelihood again.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#183 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Sounds like our spider friend is back.

Should we use up our rations, or fight hungry?

In camp I'm assuming I took off and stacked my gear, but just in case and to be sure, I stack my backpack, lean the 10' pole against the wall, and strap on my sword belt.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Marullus »

Dang... We got conditions AND a twist? Brutal.

Can we reassemble the stairs back to the upper floor as a good idea? We lost pitons taking it down, but perhaps we can presume they are still embedded in the wall here?

We are not obligated to kill the spider for the wolf - does anyone feel strongly that we should? Or do we just avoid it? (Thag? Aiofe?)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by Ludanto »

OOC
Fun Fact:
You have a map now! It's assumed that you can get up to that area if you need to. :)

This did seem twisty, didn't it? I was responding to the instructions for breaking camp on page 83, but I might have misinterpreted it.
By the time you are able to make it to the second floor of the tower, weapons ready, whatever was there is now gone, scared off by the alarm, perhaps. The stink in the cool air speaks of kobolds.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#186 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Kobolds! I think we need to reconsider stashing gear here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
We have five people now hungry, and we only have 11 rations left. If we eat food now, we have to eat 5 rations. If we don't eat now and get into a Conflict, it is only -1 to our disposition (for any number of hungry people). I suggest we risk that and press ahead. If we're lucky, we can do 2-3 things, earn a check, and camp, which will allow Rabon to cook and use only one fresh ration. If not, we can still pause and eat 5-of-11 food later before Turn 4 (which needs to make sense but doesn't cost a Turn/Action).
This did seem twisty, didn't it? I was responding to the instructions for breaking camp on page 83, but I might have misinterpreted it.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I would distinguish between "have an encounter/problem prepared" and "spring it on them when camp breaks!" :) We'll go looking for it imminently enough. ;)

I'm including gear moves in the post below and I'll adjust the group inventory document accordingly. It does contradict what I said above - if we're picking up our gear, we need Rabon to eat a ration to get it out of his pack and free the slot. :) "Who eats the ration" only is an issue if we're going to have a conflict without everyone in it. If we get into a Trick/Maniplulate challenge, it is only Rabon who has Manipulator and Berry who has persuade, so it is as sensible a choice as anything else. (If we have a fight instead, we're all in it.)

Alternately - if it is ruled that the crossbow can be carried in one hand but needs to be wielded with two, then Rabon doesn't need to eat the ration.

What is IC happening to Galen the elf? (I did think that needing to fight the spider with a twist was opportune, actually. :) He could go down in a blaze of glory in a Kill conflict!)

Are the blinding motes now gone?
Allric nods sagely in agreement with Thag. "Aye. I agree its best to take the steps that everything might come with us."

Allric has Thag take the spare flask of oil from his backpack and give it to Berry to light his lantern as we venture back in, or to save until we need it, should the motes still be pestering us. This frees enough space in the backpack for Thag to carry the spare rope (giving him two ropes and a lantern in his pack). He then asks Rabon to eat the ration he has stuck in his quiver. "You get too cranky when you're hungry, friend." This makes enough room for Rabon to stick the pouch of coins with the engraved gemstone into Rabon's quiver so he can pick up and carry the quarrel-less crossbow.

Allric encourages Berry. "You did well, you did well. Your map is quite serviceable. I'm sure you'll improve in time, as with all new endeavors."

He then turns to the group. "Let us continue on and return within. With luck, we'll discover more about the nature of the chapel in the side rooms before we enter it, proper. This gem is intriguing... alluding to something else in its set. A mystery to solve."

When everyone is ready, he directs them back along their now-familiar route to the south wing of the Monestary, following Thag's steps, so they can check the door on the right-hand side, opposite the Kobold's sitting room.
Ludanto wrote:Behold: MAP

The hall between the double doors is small and dimly lit. Very little light trickles in from outside.
The floor in what was apparently the foyer is littered with mounds of debris and a year’s worth of dead leaves.
The doors to the outside stand open, and you can see the tall grass out in the courtyard.
Two smaller doors flank the main door in the north and south walls of the entrance.
To the west, ornate double doors stand ajar, revealing the darkness within.
To the south, at the far end of the hall, two doors face each other from the east and west walls.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#188 Post by Ludanto »

The painfully bright lights follow you across the sunny courtyard, pestering you like biting flies. You enter the double doors to the foyer and pass south to the unexamined door in the west wall. The door is damaged, and you find it slightly ajar.

Pushing it open reveals what was once a library, though the south-west corner has collapsed into a wide pool of stagnant water, and a thick fungus grows on most of the books that still remain on the shelves that line the walls.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

Allric is excited by the find. He directs everyone to fan out and search the library carefully.

Thag's instinct gets a chance to go first. Then hopefully Allric, Aiofe, and Berry can search well with Scholar. I'd like to give this test to one of them to spread things around a bit, if that's okay.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by Ludanto »

Sure! As soon as somebody describes what they're doing, I'll let you know how it goes.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#191 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rabon, could hand me that pole, and hold my crossbow?

Using the pole I will check for trip wires, being well aware of what happened across the hall. Also checking for loose floor and wall stones.

These books look like they've been exposed to the elements, but we might find something.

If I need to make a Scout test I'll need to know the Obs.
And I'm one successful test away from Scout-4. Yeeha!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#192 Post by Ludanto »

Thag pokes the floor and walls with the pole, but can find no pressure plates or tripwires. It doesn't seem like this ruined library is trapped.

From the corner of the room, you can see that this pool of oily water must be the same that you saw from the front when you first came in. A thick, mossy, yellow fungus grows on the rocks around the pool, and also upon the few remaining books as well.

Outside, you can hear the ravens cawing again.

What now?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

You think those ravens are reacting to that kobold?

Allric, I'm fairly sure there are no traps here.

Do my outdoors skills give me any idea if the fungus is benign?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#194 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry begins carefully looking over books, trying to carefully extract any interesting titles. He tries calling Aoife over several times to translate titles and work with him to identify important and/or religious texts.

Berry also checks with Allric to try and figure where the different sections of the library might have been. Hoping to gain additional insight into where he might find lost or hidden lore.

so is that enough for me to try a test with Aoife and Allric attempting to help? Also since it looks unlikely that it would be a successful test due to exhausted, I might use a trait against myself to secure a check instead if your characters want to turn me down to not get hit with possible conditions.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#195 Post by Ludanto »

Trying to read the titles of the books, Berry finds that most of the spines and covers are obscured by the thick, fuzzy, yellow fungus.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Marullus »

Does Thag think the fungus is benign or no? Does Allric have any lore about yellow molds, or alchemist treatments to save books from them?

Does it look like the mold has invaded the interiors?

Does it look like there is anything stuck in or between books? Any place we could find something behind a shelf?

Are there answers to my OOC questions above?

If Thag is reasonably confident, Allric covers his mouth and hands with his cloak before moving or opening any books.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by Ludanto »

Asking around, it seems that none of you are familiar with yellow fungus, or what to do about it. On casual inspection, you can see that the fungus does grow on the page edges, but you can't tell the condition of the pages inside.
Allric covers his face and hands with his cloak, and looks around for anything stuck into a book, or hidden in the shelves.

Allric tests Scout, Ob4 (Ob3 + Glare)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Marullus »

It's a group action; can someone else roll it? Allric cares about the contents of the books (per his goal). If we are still focused on scouting behind the bookshelves,
I'd rather give the test to someone else.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#199 Post by Ludanto »

Gah! Yer killin' me here. You know that's not how it works. :) But OK. Somebody else can describe how they're searching the shelves.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just catching up. Sorry for the absence. Rabon would have eaten the ration, per Allric's suggestion, so he is now without any conditions! :)

Seeing his old friend about to poke around again, Rabon places a hand on his shoulder and looks between Allric and Berry. Allow me. What is it we are looking for, exactly? He notes that the books might be more sound if further from the water, so he asks Aoife for help to stack things so he can get at the higher, drier books.

And, if necessary, he'll look for help from Thag and Galen as well. :P

Scout 3, plus help from 2 scholars and a laborer.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”