Action Thread 1: Rites of Spring

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread 1: Rites of Spring

#21 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Without expression, Agrim studies Mist's face after Lady Clarissa's provocation. "Surely our companion would not work for the doom of anyone," he says. Then he checks his crossbow to be sure he has a bolt readied and moves in the direction that he thinks Risto went (how did he disappear so quickly?) to take up a position where he can better study the clearing and hill (without leaving cover if at all possible).

OOC: Agrim has two cure lt wnds and one sanctuary spell prepared

Double-edged
Squire
Squire

#22 Post by Double-edged »

Yoan merely waits, unimpressed by what he is seeing. No wonder Belgos has no success year after year if he is saddled with a random group of hunters that act like this. Since Belgos is the supposed leader of this hunting group, however, Yoan will wait as directed. He'll take up position with Agrim, shortbow at the ready, giving Agrim a nod and indicating that they should each watch over a certain area.

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#23 Post by Nidhogg »

Mist responds shocked to the allegations. Raising her voice, "How dare you say something like that? By the gods, who do you even think you are!?" It's quite obvious Clarissa has annoyed her ever since the hunt started. Now though, Mist has lost her cool.

"There, there, sis. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way." Evoric tries to calm her down. It doesn't seem to work immediately though and Mist looks furiously at Clarissa.

Meanwhile, Sergius watches his animals. Although they act a bit nervous in response to Mist's outburst, they seem calm and relaxed.

Aelgar looks at Ragnar and says, slowly, in an agonized tone, softly, so that only he (and people who pay close attention) can hear it: "I'm not sure you know this, my son, but as a child, I and a few other elves were captured by dark forces, taken to their underground caverns," he points to the earth, as if wanting to indicate the caverns are below Alfheim, "enslaved, enthralled by evil, alien, otherworldly beings. The elves don't like talking about it, seeing it as a part of history that's long gone and best to be forgotten. It was long before the elves had fully cleared the forest of creatures like that and claimed Alfheim as their own. I was rescued and all the beings were slain, but even after all those years, I can still feel their insane thoughts crawling in the back of my mind sometimes, hunting my dreams when I try to sleep. I know you must think of me as an old fool, still traumatized by events long gone. They are dead, all dead, but you haven’t seen it. You haven’t seen what abominations lurked in the dark corners of forests and swamps. You haven’t felt their tentacles crawl over your skin and their minds penetrating your soul. I have no logical reason to suspect we're in danger, that those creatures are close by or even that they are still alive. I know it's silly, but such forests give me the creeps and it's only in such occasions as these that I leave the protection of the elvish city. I'm sorry if I've scared you."

Standing close to Aelgar, Ragnar now notices strange scars across Aelgar's hands and neck. The old elf looks tormented and tired.

Agrim and Risto follow the path of Belgos and soon, bump right into him as he was returning. He looks surprised. "huh? Agrim? Risto? Something... Something's wrong with the others? I checked. Mist was right. There are some deer and a stag. Closeby. I've seen them. Shall we... eh.. return to the group?" He hesitates, concerned something might be wrong.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by onlyme »

Nidhogg wrote:Mist responds shocked to the allegations. Raising her voice, "How dare you say something like that? By the gods, who do you even think you are!?" It's quite obvious Clarissa has annoyed her ever since the hunt started. Now though, Mist has lost her cool.

"There, there, sis. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way." Evoric tries to calm her down. It doesn't seem to work immediately though and Mist looks furiously at Clarissa.
Clarissa knows she has to shoulder the blow, but she learned much from Mist's overreaction. She looks embarrassed toward Evoric, and then back to Mist.
Oh Mist, Your brother is as wise as he is kind. I certainly did not intend to upset you, my elvish sister. Please forgive me. It is just that, well...I am worried that Belgos may be in mortal danger, and ... if he doesnt come out alive... You do understand, don't you?

She returns her eyes toward Evoric once again, and says in a sadder, softer tone,
I inevitably cause these jealous fits of anger from other females, as you can naturally imagine. I do need to be more sensitive to their feelings, the poor things. Please get her to understand I am not some evil witch.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

rfrahm87
Strider
Strider

#25 Post by rfrahm87 »

Nidhogg wrote:"huh? Agrim? Risto? Something... Something's wrong with the others? I checked. Mist was right. There are some deer and a stag. Closeby. I've seen them. Shall we... eh.. return to the group?" He hesitates, concerned something might be wrong.
"The group? Oh, they are fine. I just wanted to get a look at the stag before all the chatter between the womenfolk scared it off." Risto squints in the direction that Belgos had come to see if he could catch sight of any game.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim speaks in low gravelly tones. "Yoan is just here, Sergius may be not far off. Let those talk who will talk; let those hunt who will hunt. Both may have their uses. Risto, might you work quietly around the other side of the herd and flush them this way? The rest could take position along the edge of the clearing here. They are likely to seek the deeper brush and lower ground for shelter, bringing them near enough for a shot. What think you, Belgos?" Agrim sniffs, nostrils flaring, and tests the air for wind direction, concerned that the party's scent might spook the deer. His mouth begins to water in anticipation, despite himself.

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#27 Post by Nidhogg »

Belgos listens carefully to Agrim, not interrupting him. It's clear to him that he's speaking with a professional hunter as well and he enjoys listening to him and talking to him about strategy. "I agree, Agrim. That does sound as a good strategy. However, maybe it would be a good idea to try to separate the stag from the deer first? I would've said we could maybe split the group, have one focus on the stag and the other on the deer, but I like your proposal as well!"

Risto looks ahead and in the distance. First, when you look in the direction Belgos came from, you don't see anything, but a bit in to the right, far in the distance, between the forage, you can see something move. It's too far ahead to really see what it is.

Mist says calm and doesn't say a thing. Her face turns from angry and furious, to calm and vile. Although her eyes speak something entire different, she slowly utters the words. "Of course, how foolish of me. Please forgive me. I completely understand you, through and through."

Evoric responds relieved and he sighs. "Phew, now, let's get back to the hunt, shall we?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by onlyme »

Nidhogg wrote: Mist says calm and doesn't say a thing. Her face turns from angry and furious, to calm and vile. Although her eyes speak something entire different, she slowly utters the words. "Of course, how foolish of me. Please forgive me. I completely understand you, through and through."

Evoric responds relieved and he sighs. "Phew, now, let's get back to the hunt, shall we?"
Clarissa sighs and says,
"Oh what a relief, Mist. I just knew we were meant to be friends... Now, Evoric I agree with you. We should get on. Should we go in after them, or wait some more for them to return?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

rfrahm87
Strider
Strider

#29 Post by rfrahm87 »

Risto nods in agreement at Belgos and Agrim. "I'll circle around behind them and attempt to flush them in your direction. You two should head back to the group to inform them of your plan." After he speaks, Risto will quietly move in the direction of the herd. When he gets close enough to see them clearly he will attempt to circle around behind the herd and move in close to the stag. If everything goes as planned, he will knock an arrow to take a shot at the stag and attempt to flush the herd toward the group.
Last edited by rfrahm87 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ragnar nods silently and readies the hunting spear he loaned from the elves for a quick throw, in case some flushed game comes into view and range.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by zebediah »

Sergius readies his throwing darts in case he needs to use them, and keeps Rufus close by his side.

"Anxiety and excitement as the tension builds up..." he whispers to himself.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim moves quietly down the line to see where everyone has set up position. He finds Clarissa smiling and Evoric and Mist at least calmer than he left them. Aelgar, too. "Be ready. Herd coming this way soon if the gods smile on Risto's step." He turns away embarrassed, wiping the excited slaver from his mouth with the back of one sleeve, his instinctual reaction clear to all now the hunt has begun in earnest. He finds a vantage spot at the end of the line, levels his crossbow, and begins muttering a prayer on Risto's behalf.

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#33 Post by Nidhogg »

Belgos nods in agreement to Risto. "Okay, we shall go back to the group and tell them of our plans."

Belgos unclasps a hunting horn from his belt and hands it over Risto. “If we get separated, use this to help us find you. Mist will do the same with hers if we lose you. Let’s go – quietly!”

Then, Belgos and Agrim slowly return to the group. "Everyone, we've got great news. We found some deer and a stag. Risto is going to try drive them our way. Be ready, cornered animals can make strange turns. I suggest Mist, Evoric, and maybe Aelgar and I focus on containing the stag, while you try to get as many of the deer as possible. Agreed?"

The elves nod in agreement. Aelgar closes his eyes and breathes slowly, emptying his mind. Evoric looks one last time to Clarissa, realizing this is his chance to make a very good impression on her. It could be his finest hour.

Meanwhile, Risto slowly crawls in the direction of the herd. He sees the large stag, surrounded by 4 - 5 female deer.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by onlyme »

Nidhogg wrote: Then, Belgos and Agrim slowly return to the group. "Everyone, we've got great news. We found some deer and a stag. Risto is going to try drive them our way. Be ready, cornered animals can make strange turns. I suggest Mist, Evoric, and maybe Aelgar and I focus on containing the stag, while you try to get as many of the deer as possible. Agreed?"
Clarissa answers Belgos,
" I am just relieved you made it out of those woods. I won't deny worrying, some may even say irrationally."

She gazes back toward Mist, then returns her eyes toward the prince.
" But of course back to the hunt...I would be tickled to shoot at a female or two, your royal highness.

She smiles as she completes that last sentence. Then, as ladylike as she can, she pulls an arrow and notches it in her short bow.

Nidhogg
Scout
Scout

#35 Post by Nidhogg »

Mist draws her two throwing axes. She tries to focus on the hunt, but it's clear that Clarissa again managed to strike a nerve with that last sentence "I would be tickled to shoot at a female or two", she'd said. Was that a threat? Did she try to provoke her or was Mist just getting tired and being paranoid? A nervous twitch below her left eye.

Right before Risto can aim at the Stag, a sound is heard in the distance, the sound of a hunting horn, far away in the distance and the deer jump up and start running... thankfully in the right direction. Bumping right into the hunting party. You guys tries to circle around them, preventing them escaping. The elves start shooting at the stag.

"What a majestic creature! Look at those antlers! We must have him!" , Belgos shouts as he throws his spear.

Mist throws one of her axes, hitting the stags head. It screams, a terrifying low hollow sound. The stag jump up and tries to escape, it runs right into Evoric, who in fear drops his spear and falls to his knees. The stag sees it's chance and jump over Evoric, into the bushes and runs away.

Belgos, already fearing his own failure again and the sight of his stepbrother winning the game, shouts in anger, curses at Evoric. He looks at Agrim and says: "Quick, you stay here and try to catch as many of the deer as possible. We'll go after the stag."

He runs after the stag, shouting: "Mist, Evoric, Aelgar! Follow me!" The follow.

Now, you are alone with the deer. There are 6 of them. 2 of them are quite young, while one of them seems older. They are scared and try to flee, but without the stag nearby to lead them, they don't know where to go.

-- OOC: Okay, to keep hunting simple, let's all just roll once to see if you guys can hit the deer with your attacks. Each hit will mean one deer caught.

In the distance, far away, you can hear the others fighting and chasing the stag.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by zebediah »

Sergius does not release his dog on the deer, but tries to use him to intimidate the animals from running to the direction he is (hopefully keeping them on the same area sufficient time for the group to catch enough of them).

He will also shoot some darts:

Dart, thrown - To hit: [1d20] = 13, Damage (s/m): [1d3] = 2, Damage (L): [1d2] = 2

Dart, thrown - To hit: [1d20] = 4, Damage (s/m): [1d3] = 1, Damage (L): [1d2] = 2

Dart, thrown - To hit: [1d20] = 15, Damage (s/m): [1d3] = 1, Damage (L): [1d2] = 2

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by onlyme »

Nidhogg wrote: Belgos, already fearing his own failure again and the sight of his stepbrother winning the game, shouts in anger, curses at Evoric. He looks at Agrim and says: "Quick, you stay here and try to catch as many of the deer as possible. We'll go after the stag."

-- OOC: Okay, to keep hunting simple, let's all just roll once to see if you guys can hit the deer with your attacks. Each hit will mean one deer caught.
Lady Clarissa sees the shameful act of Evoric and rolls her eyes, thinking to herself **** * ***** (it was to herself, remember...)
Wanting to impress Belgos, she goes after the deer.

To Hit = [1d20] = 16
Bow/Arrow Damage = [1d6] = 4

To Hit = [1d20] = 15
Bow/Arrow Damage = [1d6] = 2

(I think.she has a +4 to bow/arrow to-hit due to dexterity and elfism.)

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Agrim takes aim at the nearest of the frantic animals and winces even as his bolt flies. Clearly an errant shot...

Crossbow, to-hit [1d20] = 2; Crossbow, damage [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Vargr1105 »

Having only the one spear to spare Ragnar feels somewhat limited amid all the darts and arrows flying about. None the less, he had the weapon ready for a throw and attempts to hit one of the animals in sight.

To hit with thrown spear: [1d20] = 7, damage (s/m): [1d6] = 5, damage (L): [1d6] = 1

rfrahm87
Strider
Strider

Re: Out Of Character Friendly Banter And Casual Conversation

#40 Post by rfrahm87 »

Risto let's out a frustrated sigh as the deer startle and run away from him. He settles into the underbrush to watch their retreat so he can determine if they moved into the area where the group stood waiting for them. A slight smile comes to his face when he hears the groups shouts as the deer are flushed into their midst. After a few moments have passed he moves slowly in their direction, staying in the shadow of trees, listening and watching for signs of movement as he goes.

Return to “The Elf Campaign”