Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#561 Post by Marullus »

Dram wrote:DO i need to roll strength check to push the demonspawn off me?
Sure. [1d20], please.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#562 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare is shocked by the doppelganger, but continues to fight against the closest demon. "Hey! Since when did this become a duet?"

THAC0 19, dagger attack [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9, dagger damage [1d4+2] = 4+2 = 6

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#563 Post by Marullus »

The two Dares dodge and weave, avoiding and confusing the demonspawn, which is still unable to catch either of the nimble thieves with its claws. Neegan is in sorry shape, pinned to the floor by the two slathering half-headed demons from the pits of hell and is unable to free himself. One of the demons savages his face and throat with its claws (-4), raking bloody furrows into the flesh below his beard, the other claws ineffectively at his sturdy armor, unable to dislodge it to get at the flesh beneath.

Ablesforth and the invisible Pendleton pause to debate the finer points of demonic destruction as the others fight. Eventually, Ablesforth is left to act with water (being unable to use the knife) and pours the vial onto the fallen demon even as its wounds knit before him. The water melts the flesh, then the bone, reducing the creature to a reddish sludgy stain on the stone floor.

Grimble and Dolph bring silvered maul and massive zweihander to bear, (-5, -8), knocking the ineffective half-head clear of Neegan's body. It lands, twitching, on the floor a few feet away, the sword's cleave knitting back together as it tries to regain its footing.

(Actions!)

Date: 23 July 2021, 12:44pm
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 2:00pm) Dolphs' torch (1:30pm)
Effects: Silence 15' radius near statue (until 1:30pm), Invisibility (Pendleton) Protection from Evil (Ablesforth, Idriss, Dolph, Pendleton), smoldering incense (until 8:20pm), hold person on demonspawn (until 2:12pm)
Injuries: Neegan (moderate wound), Dare (minor wound)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#564 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Smiling, Able rushes to the newly felled sniffer and repeats the process of dousing it in holy water. Be with ya in a minute, Neegan.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#565 Post by Dram »

Neeagan tries to push the demonspawn off him. I am getting tore here. Get these durn things off me!!

check roll[1d20] = 9
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#566 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare attacks his opponent demon again with his dagger, trying to make the best use of their momentary confusion.

THAC0 19, dagger attack [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18, dagger damage [1d4+2] = 2+2 = 4
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#567 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Another PM sent to Sirravd re Grimble last night. Hope he's alright.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#568 Post by Marullus »

The wounded sniffer's wounds seal swiftly, but Ablesforth is upon him before he can rise. Pouring out another flask of holy water, the demon screams and melts to a puddle as well.

The pair of Dares strike out, slashing their demon for once more, driving it back again before it can strike.

Neegan roars a dwarven battlecry, heaving the sniffers from him and rising to his feet. The sniffers, meanwhile, struggles to get back at him with it's claws while Grimble and Dolph slice deep into it (-3, -5) but fail to cripple it to the floor.

(Actions!)

Date: 23 July 2021, 12:45pm
Effects: Silence 15' radius near statue (until 1:30pm), Invisibility (Pendleton) Protection from Evil (Ablesforth, Idriss, Dolph, Pendleton), smoldering incense (until 8:20pm), hold person on demonspawn (until 2:12pm)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#569 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is that three sniffers still standing then? (One facing Dare, two facing Neegan and Dolph?)
And for what it's worth, I've PM'd Sirravd twice now about posting - once for each of the last two combat turns. I'll probably stop now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#570 Post by Marullus »

No, Ablesforth just melted one of the two on Neegan.
Now it is one on Neegan and one on Dare. (Plus those Held.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks.
Will someone please roll initiative?

Able jumps to his feet, using the momentum to smash his mallet into the sniffer attacking the two Dares. He smiles as the demon's ribs crack. The holy water is next, sniffer.
Mallet, melee (THACO 18): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21, dmg [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#572 Post by Zhym »

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#573 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare strikes at the nearest sniffer with his blade.

THAC0 19, dagger attack [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7, dagger damage [1d4+2] = 2+2 = 4
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by Dram »

Neegan slices into the demonspawn facing him.

M.W. B. axe(THAC017)[1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 todam[1d8+3] = 2+3 = 5
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#575 Post by Marullus »

Neegan and Dare strike down their respective forest before Ablesforth can bring his mace to bear. The priest is quick with the holy water, however, and the two demonspawn are reduced to good as well (Subtract one vial of holy water.)

The other three sniffers in the room and the one poised outside the door remain frozen, their muscles locked but pure malevolence visible on their cleaved faces.

Date: 23 July 2021, 12:46pm

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able smiles, noting they had finally gotten the better of a foe in the caves. He points out that, as grim and sadistic as it seemed, now if the best time to experiment on the sniffers, to see what works to hurt them permanently. He retrieves his maul from Grimble and sets the silvered plates on the base flash of one of the frozen sniffers, determining if that will hurt them. Then he crushes it's chest with a heavy blow and determined if it can heal itself. He encourages the others to experiment a bit as well. Not fer joy, mind ya. But I'm wonderin' if they'll heal a beheadin'. Dolph and Neegan,wanna try it on a couple of these 'uns? And Dare, can they heal when cut by silver? Anythin' else we oughta try 'fore we end 'em all an' move on?

He points out that he is out of Hold prayers and asks the others what they think of holing up in that room again so he can heal folks and then rest. We ain't been long down here, but now we got ourselves a strategy, we should prob'ly get it ready t'use.

He asks Neegan for a confession as he heals him.

NeeganCLW [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

A 6HP confession from Neegan, please. :)

It's only noon, but there is another group of sniffers out there, I believe. And those Hold spells were key to our success this time, I think. I'd have to go forward without more. Though I'm willing to if everyone else thinks we should.

Able's "melted" four sniffers total, I believe. How many flasks for all four?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#577 Post by Dram »

Neegan- I muss confess that I was scared for me life tem tings wer goan to kill me. Neegan takes one of his silver tipped crossbolts sticks into the demon spawns heart. If that does not kill it he sticks in its head from the back of the skull.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#578 Post by Marullus »

Ablesforth encourages "creative" means of dismembering these last four mishappen creatures from the hells while dispatching them from this plane. The party discovers that silver doesn't 'burn' them on contact, but wounds made with the silver weapons do not appear to heal. They remain alive and aware, following your movements however they're able, facial muscles twitching in malevolence, even when beheaded or dismembered. While the silver doesn't appear to be healing like the wounds from the normal weapons, neither does the silver end this "living" awareness. It is only the holy water that causes their bodies to disintegrate and their -- well, they don't have brains, do they have minds? -- Their 'awareness' to leave.

After this period of experimentation and the application of holy water, the last four demonspawn are permanently dispatched. The floor is riddled with gooey demon remains, the room quiet.

(You used three flasks of holy water in combat before now. You find you can fully destroy two demonspawn with one, so now expend two more, for five total.)

Date: 23 July 2021, 1:15pm

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#579 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able uses the last of his holy water, noting it is the only way to dispatch the demonspawn permanently. He prays over the still-ailing Neegan again (CLW [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7), and then Dare (CLW [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3), asking only for heartfelt convictions from each.

Without hearing any dissent to his plan, Able leads the party through the room with the knotwork pattern, back to the bunk room they slept in before. He uses his chisels to wedge the door shut again.

Able only has Protection from Evil, Light and Silence 15' radius at this point. We'll do better with 8 hours rest so he can fill p with four Hold Persons and more CLWs, I think.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#580 Post by Marullus »

Ablesforth sees to the remaining wounds in the party.

If you're resting, specify where.

Date: 23 July 2021, 1:25pm
Injuries: None

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”