Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Session 1: The Dwarven Monastery

#361 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:I wondered about casting help, too. I think it should be fine (it is why cabals and covens exist). Allric didn't ask or accept help so far because it would contravene his Belief. He is glad to offer +1D help to Galen though, and would almost certainly provide commentary like a nosy professor anyway. :)
Help would be nice. Unless we are going to deal with the kobold before camping, we will need adventure duration which is two factors as opposed to one for phase duration.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Marullus »

GM call? If "lasting a phase" is cast at the end of a phase, what happens? What Ob should he use?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Once Thag inhales the vapor and resumes his normal grim (but still exhausted) mien, Allric waits for him to relay what he saw. Allric frowns deeply, pulling thoughtfully at his mustaches as he addresses the group in a low tone. "It sounds more like a werewolf or supernatural beast than the normal variety outside. This is a great evil, a challenge to all our abilities, and it stands in the way of us claiming what we came for. What say you to facing it?" He looks stoicly from one face to the next.

OOC:
We now have a check and didn't hit the grind yet. I think it is safe to assume (especially with the caginess of our GM so far :) ) that we cannot camp here nor pass safely back through the wolves to another site (a second time, and without a map). That means we're still left with this as our last Fresh action and it will invoke the Grind upon us. We'll then be one action away from the Session End / Rewards.

I kind of like facing the werewolf creature as our last Fresh action. Thag's goal requires a Kill conflict. Aiofe's goal requires "besting" it with her strength, which I assume she interprets the same way. Otherwise, we could Drive Off (which is riskier in this case; I don't want the Big Bad reoccuring) Berry could try to Persuade it with his B2 and no help (we are NOT the group for one-on-one negotiation), or Rabon could try to Trick it with Manipulator in some way.
BillTheGalacticHero wrote:If we end up fighting the big bad wolf I probably can't be in the front line, but I'll gladly be in the second rank with a torch or two. I can still add help with my Fighter skill if needed.

Did anyone pack any wolfsbane?
Just bumping the IC forward on to this page. :)
Last edited by Marullus on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#364 Post by Ludanto »

If it were "end of a turn", then I imagine that it would start at the beginning of the next turn and last until the following turn.

However, "phases" are flexible and mostly under your control. So there's no definitive "end of a phase". If you cast a spell in the adventure phase, it will last until camp or town phases, whenever you choose to make those happen.

Oh, and it's Ob4 to seal a bag until the phase ends. Ob5 for the whole adventure.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#365 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Ok sorry for the lateness guys. This looks like we may be heading into a wolf fight here.
I can try to talk to this wolf creature, but that seems unlikely, though anyone with hunter could maybe help. If we are to fight I'm all for it. I can ram defense actions fairly well and id appreciate the chance to earn some skill progress and/or maybe a check so we can be set up for a camp later.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#366 Post by Ludanto »

So, I guess we're waiting for Galen to cast his spell on the bag with the little guy in it, if that's what he's doing.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Marullus »

...and for anyone who wants to make an IC post to roleplay their goals/beliefs before we charge in.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#368 Post by shroomofinsanity »

ok, I can change my goal, I had just put it because berry hopes to find evidence of a thief in a religious ruin, since Trevor stole a religious relic from him. But I'll change it to something else for the time being.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#369 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If we do any Fighting I won't be as good, only 2 dice now instead of 4, so unless I'm absolutely needed I would prefer to hold the light source(s). If anyone can use a sword they can borrow mine.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#370 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I also only have 2 dice, and I can't use edged weapons. But with enough help we should be able to get through this. I can handle defense if someone else can run offense.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#371 Post by ffilz »

Ok, do we want to deal with the kobold after the wolf fight, or wait until after camp? That affects duration of the spell.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Marullus »

I think we can aim to deal with the Kobold after the fight but before camp.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#373 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Can that Binding Spell be cast on the wolf? Maybe we throw a rope at it and the spell could tie it up?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#374 Post by Ludanto »

The spell only "locks" things that are already closed or bound.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by Marullus »

The group prepared for assault, Allric gestures with flourish, effortlessly spinning three new glowing balls into the air. He twirls them for emphasis as he speaks, his voice taking on a momentous tone, "Companions,
we came into the unknown, seeking our fortune. We have found something of unquestionable evil. The tales of werewolves bring chills to any spine. We are without wolfsbane, but not without steel in our hands, without conviction in our hearts! Let us stand together that such evil might be expunged from this Earth!"

Are the GMs moves locked in?

Arcanist 4D+1D Fresh+1D Thoughtful = 6D
3 Motes, for 3 Turns.

Arcanist [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5
Arcanist [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5
Ob 4; 6 Successes. :shock:

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#376 Post by Ludanto »

Moves locked in I suppose, BUT...

Your prisoner is not secure. Word of Binding has NOT been cast yet. Are you fighting the little guy in the bag as well?

Also, if a fight starts, remember to describe what it is you do, and the actions of any helpers.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Marullus »

No, we are still waiting for Galen to cast. I just wanted to know if we can start discussing our moves. :)

As a side note: if Galen fails his spell, then Allric will stay out of the fight and hold the bag after rousing you all and sending you to battle. (He is the only one with no Fighter skill, so there is as much merit in having him sit out as participate.)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#378 Post by Ludanto »

Speaking (in the other thread) of the weapon honing kit, don't forget that you could use that up before the fight for a bonus.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#379 Post by ffilz »

Ok, casting Word of Binding on the rope tying the bag shut:

Arcanist 3D + Fresh 1D + Supplies 1D + Help 1D vs Ob 4 (seal a bag until the end of the phase):

[1d6] = 2,[1d6] = 3,[1d6] = 5,[1d6] = 4,[1d6] = 5,[1d6] = 1

That's only 3 successes...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#380 Post by Ludanto »

As Galen casts the spell on the sack and its struggling occupant, he can feel the fibers of the sack tighten in his grip, but the effect doesn't stop at the lip of the bag, instead spreading down the length of it. The entire sack becomes rigid, and then brittle, and then the captive kicks a hole in the side and bolts for the stairs!

But before it can dive to safety, a huge paw pins it, barking and hissing, to the ground. The huge wolf at the mouth of the stairs looks up from the struggling prize, and sets its great yellow eyes upon you. Its thick fur is dark and grey, and matted around the shoulders in what almost looks like horned ridges.

Then, in a voice dripping with predatory violence, it speaks:

"Man-things. Why do man-things hunt in territory of Greygrim? The territory is of Greygrim alone."

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”