Character Rollups

ffilz
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Character Rollups

#141 Post by Faanku »

I think I ended up with the pistol due to weight concerns; Strength 4 is pretty pitiful and doesn't give me much wiggle room when staying below the encumbrance limit.
I don't suppose there are lightweight materials or ways to increase your weight limit?

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Tiglath »

The only way (strictly) as per Book 1 would be to wear powered Battle Dress!

An alternative to Autopistol might be SMG - same damage but can autofire.

2.5kg weapon and three 500g clips = max encumberance but you're at least combat effective! All the more so if you put both skills in SMG for Skill 2 (+2 Dex). This would also make autofire more effective as it is a "re-roll" to hit at the advantageous +4 DM.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by ffilz »

You will also want to seek out a high tech Vacc Suit, otherwise, in shirtsleeve environments armor at least doesn't encumber, so having a weapon and ammo you can carry leaves you ok in combat. Just carry other stuff in a shoulder slung bag you can drop easily...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#144 Post by Faanku »

I took 2 clips, my hand computer puts me at my weight limit, but it looks like I can afford to go over my encumbrance and still keep the +2 to fire from SMG (my Dex is 10 and SMG advantage is 9) so that's always an option if more dakka is required.
You will also want to seek out a high tech Vacc Suit
Would I have been provided any kind of vacc suit by the Scouts for this mission? Or what other options would I have for antirad?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by ffilz »

Faanku wrote:I took 2 clips, my hand computer puts me at my weight limit, but it looks like I can afford to go over my encumbrance and still keep the +2 to fire from SMG (my Dex is 10 and SMG advantage is 9) so that's always an option if more dakka is required.
You will also want to seek out a high tech Vacc Suit
Would I have been provided any kind of vacc suit by the Scouts for this mission? Or what other options would I have for antirad?
Yea, you would have a TL 12 Vacc Suit (2kg weight).

BTW, here is a consolidated price list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SqE ... sp=sharing
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by ffilz »

Ok, we've definitely got both Nathan and Cmdr. Taheri on board with two votes for option 2...

I am going to put Cmdr. Taheri in Combat Armor with a Laser Rifle.

Use this thread to ask any questions before I have you pop over the ridge. You have been observing the party from the launch, you don't know about the spiders, just that you dropped off your Scout buddies down the valley a bit, and then popped the Air/Raft over the ridge and have been watching from above. Nathan has been provided a TL-12 Vacc Suit for protection.

The scout party had gone into the temple.

Oh, and as to why you didn't go back for help or make more communication? After you moved the Air/Raft, something went wrong and it won't lift anymore and the comms aren't working (and Cmdr. Taheri has not been able to fix any of these problems).

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#147 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Great. I will add them to her equipment list.
SpinwardMarch

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#148 Post by Faanku »

How long have Nathan and Taheri known each other? Has it been hours or months, do you think?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by ffilz »

Faanku wrote:How long have Nathan and Taheri known each other? Has it been hours or months, do you think?
I've generally ruled a week or two for recently mustered out new PCs, but if the two of you want to coordinate something longer that's fine also (perhaps later in his career Nathan operated more as a privateer than outright pirate, the Imperial Navy might have welcomed reasonable privateer work in this region with the pull out from the region.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#150 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Taheri has only known Nathan since they started this trip/adventure... not very long, in other words. This will probably cause something interesting.
SpinwardMarch

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by ffilz »

RotFuchs wrote:Hello again. I am interested in a Belter profession. Human of course. I am a bit confused of how to make his profile though. I am more acquainted with the Mongoose Traveller.
Start with attributes, [2d6] for each of STR, DEX, END, INT, EDU, SOC.

Then, do you have Classic Traveller Supplement 4? If not, I'll just walk you through the generation here in thread.

Note that Belters have a low survival chance...

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#152 Post by RotFuchs »

I rolled 10,3,8,7,7,11 from the site's dice roller. I can put them wherever I want? If so my UPP is A8B773, else is A3877B. I rolled (again from site's roller) for enlistment 2+3 vs 8/fail, draft 1+3 vs 7(or 9?)/fail (UPP A8B773). So now I have to reroll from the start for a new character UPP and again for enlistment/draft?

I have the 2 main books and supplement 4.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by ffilz »

Attributes are rolled in order. Which "2 main books" do you mean?

If you're set on a Belter, I'll allow you to forgo the enlistment roll. Optionally, if you fail it, you can see where the draft takes you (it's 1d6 to determine which of the original 6 services you wind up in), and then try again. I allow folks to generate 2 or 3 characters and pick the one they like the best.

One note on Belters, if you do wind up with a successful Belter character who winds up with a Type J Seeker, I will have to decide how to handle that since the group already is signed on with a Foix family ship. One option is you wind up with some kind of souped up mining shuttle or air/raft instead. Other players are welcome to chime in.

For the Belter career you will also need my replacement skill charts in the house rules document.

Frank

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#154 Post by RotFuchs »

Ok, let's try again.

CHAR 1
name: John Doe
UPP 593954.
Belter enlistment roll 6 (3+3) vs 8/fail.
Rolled 1d6 for other career, got 4 so Scouts it is. Enlistment roll 12 (11+1) vs 7/pass.
Survival roll, 5 vs 7, dead

CHAR 2
name: Imi Rawicz
UPP 535597
Belter enlistment roll 5 vs 8/fail.
Rolled 1d6 for other career, got 6 so Other it is. Enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
Survival roll, 7 vs 5/pass
1.Re-enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
Survival roll, 5 vs 5/pass
2.Re-enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
Survival roll, 13 vs 5/pass
3.Re-enlistment roll 9 vs 5/pass

34 years of age (4 terms)
Str: 4 (7 vs 8/fail)
Dex: 3 (8 vs 7/pass)
End: 4 (6 vs 8/fail)
final UPP: 434597

Mustering-Out (4 terms): 4 (gun)
Cash 7 (100.000Cr)

Skills (I used the rule from the main book, pg 21)
Basic: Engineering-1, Jack of All Trades-1, Vehicle (Jet)-1, Medical-1, VaccSuit-1
Weapons: Brawling-1, Blade Combat (blade)-1, Gun Combat: Shotgun-1, Laser Carbine-1

If everything is OK, I can start buying my equipment.
Attachments
TAS Form - Imi Rawicz.jpg
TAS Form - Imi Rawicz.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1746 times

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by ffilz »

RotFuchs wrote:Ok, let's try again.

CHAR 1
name: John Doe
UPP 593954.
Belter enlistment roll 6 (3+3) vs 8/fail.
Rolled 1d6 for other career, got 4 so Scouts it is. Enlistment roll 12 (11+1) vs 7/pass.
Survival roll, 5 vs 7, dead

CHAR 2
name: Imi Rawicz
UPP 535597
Belter enlistment roll 5 vs 8/fail.
Rolled 1d6 for other career, got 6 so Other it is. Enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
You don't actually need to roll for enlistment if drafted.
Survival roll, 7 vs 5/pass
1.Re-enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
2.Re-enlistment roll 7 vs 5/pass
Survival roll, 13 vs 5/pass
I'm confused how you got a 13 here...
3.Re-enlistment roll 9 vs 5/pass

34 years of age (4 terms)
Str: 4 (7 vs 8/fail)
Dex: 3 (8 vs 7/pass)
End: 4 (6 vs 8/fail)
final UPP: 434597

Mustering-Out (4 terms): 4 (gun)
Cash 7 (100.000Cr)
You don't have Gambling, so you don't get a +1 on the cash benefits table. It also appears you only rolled twice.
Skills (I used the rule from the main book, pg 21)
Basic: Engineering-1, Jack of All Trades-1, Vehicle (Jet)-1, Medical-1, VaccSuit-1
Weapons: Brawling-1, Blade Combat (blade)-1, Gun Combat: Shotgun-1, Laser Carbine-1

If everything is OK, I can start buying my equipment.
I'm not sure what rule on p.21 you are using. Which "main" book? The Traveller Book? You also appear to have skills not available to the Other career (Engineering and Vacc Suit). You also appear to have 9 skills, unless you got Gun multiple times on mustering out to get additional skill levels you should only have 8 skill levels (2 per term). And just for reference, you may want to choose a different vehicle than Jet. You might also want to focus your weapon skills, with STR 4 and DEX 3 you have disadvantageous DM on almost all weapons (though you may have chosen Blade before aging reduced your STR).

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#156 Post by RotFuchs »

Book 1 is the Vol.1 from 1982 . Page 31, not 21, "Maximum Skills". It says that "as a rule of thumb a player cannot take more skills than his Int+Edu sum", so I went for 14 max. If it is wrong I can choose less skils.

13 roll came as 11+2 bonus from my Intelligence attribute, I made a mistake my Int is 5, so it is flat 11 (pass either way).

For the Cash credits I rolled once, 2d6 and got a 7.

I got the skills from the skill trees on pg21 and not from the "Other mustering" table. I can change the jet skill. I will review my skills, with 8 max. I misread some of the homebrew rules.

I drafted as a Belter but died in 1st term, so I went to second Character rolls (1d6) and ended up with Other. Not that I complain but I can redo the Belter draft+survival rolls.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by ffilz »

RotFuchs wrote:Book 1 is the Vol.1 from 1982 . It says that "as a rule of thumb a player cannot take more skills than his Int+Edu sum", so I went for 14 max. If it is wrong I can choose less skils.

13 roll came as 11+2 bonus from my Intelligence attribute, I made a mistake my Int is 5, so it is flat 11 (pass either way).

For the Cash credits I rolled once, 2d6 and got a 7.

I got the skills from the skill trees on pg21 and not from the "Other mustering" table. I can change the jet skill. I will review my skills, with 8 max. I misread some of the homebrew rules.

I drafted as a Belter but died in 1st term, so I went to second Character rolls (1d6) and ended up with Other. Not that I complain but I can redo the Belter draft+survival rolls.
Ok, I understand the sources of confusion now...

My base for the rules is the 1977 version which does not have that INT+EDU rule, but I think you missed how skills are generated. Skills are generated as follows:

Each term you may roll once on one of the skill tables for your career, you may only use the 4th table if you have EDU 8+ (you do)
The first term you get a 2nd skill roll
If you get commissioned you get an extra skill roll (Scouts and Other don't get this)
If you get promoted (once commissioned) you get an extra skill roll (Scouts and Other don't get this)
Scouts and Other get 2 skill rolls each term (Scouts doings so is an official rule, Others doing so is a house rule), note that they don't get 3 skill rolls first term (as some have interpreted the rule)
Some careers give you skills for being in that career or reaching certain ranks.
I don't use house rules for skill selection (some GMs allow players to choose any skill from the tables they have access to), though if someone really desperately wants a particular skill we can talk.

For your Survival rolls, did you add +2 to all of them or just that 11 (because you noted some 5s which if they were 3+2 would be only a 3 and thus a failure).

For mustering out, you get 1 roll per term, +1 if you are rank 1 or 2, +2 if rank 3 or 4, +3 if rank 5 or 6 (+3 for rank 5 or 6 is in 1981 so technically a house rule). Each roll is taken independently, 1d6 on either of the tables rather than making a 2d6 roll. You may make at most 3 rolls on the cash table.

Note that the skill tables changed slightly between 1977 and 1981, players are free to use either set.

For vehicles the most likely to be useful are Air/Raft or ATV (or Wheeled or Tracked Vehicle - but I suggest taking the 1977 ATV skill rather than the 1981 Wheeled or Tracked skill). That's not to say that various aircraft or boating skills would never be useful, but PCs tend to have access to Air/Rafts and ATVs while other vehicles would show up or not depending on the world being visited.

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#158 Post by RotFuchs »

So my 2nd Char is also dead since I rolled 7 vs 9 for 1st survival roll and thus I should try another one?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by ffilz »

RotFuchs wrote:So my 2nd Char is also dead since I rolled 7 vs 9 for 1st survival roll and thus I should try another one?
Yea, also you should take your skill rolls as you go, also note the bonuses applied to rolls

If you are willing to play a character from one of the 6 original careers, and are willing to accept even more randomness (but maybe want to specify one thing you really want your character to have), the online character generator can be really quick, for example, this URL will generate a Scout character:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... score=8889

Though it may generate a dead one... But then you just hit refresh...

If there is something specific you're looking for, I can give guidance on what "cheat codes" to use within reason.

For example this cheat is NOT within reason:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... le&level=6

It will roll up Army guys until it gets one with Rifle-6 or better (which also assures it doesn't give you a dead one).

If you use the online generator, I just ask you post the verbose output which logs all the rolls.

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#160 Post by RotFuchs »

Ok, I made another character (since all my Belter attempts died after 1st or 2nd survival roll, one died in 4th roll bummer). I am enlisting for 2 careers, Marines and Other. 2 terms each

UPP: 889BB5

Marines
Enlistment: 9 vs 9 pass
Term 1, 22
Survival 1: 7+2 vs 6 pass
Term 2, 26
Survival 2: 6+2 vs 6 pass
Commission 1: 7 vs 9 fail
Commission 2: 3 vs 9 fail
Muster out: 9 vs 12 pass

Other
Enlistment: 5/6 pass
Term 1, 30 yrs
Survival 1: 2+3/5 pass
Term 2, 34 yrs
Survival 2: 5+2/5 pass
Muster out: 7/12 pass

Character Age: 36 years
2+2=4 terms, 2d6 rolls I passed everything so nothing changes.

Muster Out rolls:
Marines: 4 (Blade - Knife)
Other: 6 (nothing)
Cash (Marine): 3 - 5000Cr
Cash (Other): 2 - 5000Cr

Is this correct? Also I have to roll for 8 skills, right?

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”