Action Thread 4

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 4

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 10:56a

Unfortunately, er, I mean fortunately, you are not surprised. :)

There are four creatures coming down the passage. They look like this (the picture is big, so I put it in the Maps thread):
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=482&p=14354#p14354

Their bodies are a mix of greens and browns, the eyes are either dark brown or black and kind of insect-like. The fingers on their hands look like wood and have strange notches on them.

It still looks like they haven’t seen you, kind of hard to tell, but they are definitely heading your way.

They have entered the passage, two on either side of the stream, and are at this point 20’ + away from you.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 57 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 0 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 4

#2 Post by Alethan »

Without a second of hesitation, Ilhalevar draws her hand from her pouch, sprinkling sand into the air as she thrusts her right arm towards the four creatures, the words of the Grim Quietus spilling out of her mouth with practiced precision.

Hopefully they're within 15' of each other? Let me know what to roll for number affected, Ron. (1+ to 2 = 2d4; 2+ to 3 = 1d4; 3+ to 4 = 1d2) Or do you make that roll? Doesn't matter to me...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Short sword in hand, Malak lowers himself into a crouch and freezes, not wanting to reveal the location of the party. "Here we go." he whispers to no one in particular.

ooc: I'm not entirely sure where everyone in the party is relative to one another, but Malak will be prepared to turn and face whichever group of plant-like people are closest to him. For the moment, he will delay any actions, wanting to see how the situation plays out, but is equally ready to strike or conceal himself to better his chances for a more deadly back attack.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger recognizes the chant of a spell being cast, and will hold his shot to see if anything affects these strange creatures. He tries to suppress the concern that tho the four approaching appear humanoid, they are completely unfamiliar to his eyes.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Vargr1105 »

Rake holds his trusty long sword, which has accompanied him safely through several battlefields, and awaits for the festivities to commence.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by saalaria »

Varkos looks at them approach

OOC - they have nothing in their hands - correct?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia quickly shuts the hood on her lantern and sets it off to the side and out of the way against the tunnel wall.

She waits on her comrades for the signal and makes ready to engage the coming contingent with either spell or spear.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

They are within 15' of each other. They have nothing in their hands, correct, except for woody fingers. The ranger, Korgul and Al'Zur are nearer to the oncoming creatures, Rake and Wulfgard are sorta in the second rank, but could move up, everyone else had moved up a bit and are closer to the waterfall, thus further from the action.

As Ilhalevar casts her spell, the creatures start moving toward you, but one of them drops to the ground. The other three move to engage.

Son of Thunder has an arrow nocked and can shoot twice before engagement if he would like. Then if you are attacking I'll need one person to roll initiative and actions (with corresponding rolls if needed) from everyone. This will be round one, so SoT, Korgul and Varkos can have two attacks. Korgul will get one attack at the beginning of the round (before everyone attacks) and one at the end (after both sides have gone). Though I'm going to rule (for this round) that SoT and Varkos will have their first attack on the initiative roll, because the Ranger will have to drop his bow to get at his spear and Varkos needs to hussle to get to the front past all his comrades. But they can still have their second attack at the end of the round.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): 1- Odo; 2- Korgul and Varkos; 3- SoT and Malak; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard; 6- Rake
Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 57 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 0 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by Alethan »

After casting her spell, Ilhalevar flattens up against the wall of the cave and pretends to be a part of it.

(i.e. she gets out of the way of the fighters so they can get past her to engage the remaining three)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:I'll need one person to roll initiative and actions (with corresponding rolls if needed) from everyone.
Initiative [1d6] = 5

Malak is going to let the chaos unfold before him, electing to try and remain concealed for this initial round of action.

Ron, I assume you make 'Hide in Shadows' rolls
Hide in Shadows: 30%
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by saalaria »

OOC so we are assuming these guys are going to attack then?

If he can, Varkos steps up to one of them and says "Hail fellows, what do you seek here?"

If there are two many bodies in the way he will get as close as he can before speaking.

OOC Hmm will they still talk (even if they can) with SoT's arrows hanging out of them?!

Varkos is deferring his attack until he sees what kind of reaction he gets

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

saalaria wrote:If he can, Varkos steps up to one of them and says "Hail fellows, what do you seek here?"
While he doesn't dare speak it and potentially betray his attempt at hiding, Malak overhears Varkos and thinks to himself: I'm not sure those... things... whatever they are, are going to understand you.
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger visibly looks from the creatures to Varkos, then back again, unsure exactly how to proceed! Always one to err on the side of caution (and self-preservation), Son of Thunder lets fly.

To hit: [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, damage with bow: [1d6] = 3

To hit: [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, damage with bow: [1d6] = 6

2 arrows marked off

He immediately drops his bow to the floor at the closest point to the wall of the tunnel as possible, so it doesn't get stomped on, then will draw his spear and prepare to melee.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo tries to hide in shadows to sneak around to there backside

[1d100] = 8

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

Distorted Humor wrote:Odo tries to hide in shadows to sneak around to there backside

[1d100] = 8
Sorry, DH, but th GM makes those rolls in this game. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by rredmond »

Arrows fly true, and two thieves disappear into the many shadows of the pass. But I'll resolve Round 1 tomorrow (hopefully if I get online) to give others a chance to post.
Be well all!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Nuke66 »

Crap, I thought I had posted last night.

Al'Zur also sheaths his sword, pulling his bow and readying an arrow. He pauses when he hears a spell being cast, looking to identify a target after the spell effects are known.

After one falls, the leader wins.

[1d20+4] = 17+4 = 21 ti hit, arrow one.
[1d6] = 6 damage
[1d20+4] = 8+4 = 12 to hit
[1d6] = 1 damage, just in case.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by rredmond »

Yup I’ll make the hide-in-shadows roles. :) The ranger, Korgul and Al'Zur are nearer to the oncoming creatures, Rake and Wulfgard are sorta in the second rank, but could move up, everyone else had moved up a bit and are closer to the waterfall, thus further from the action.

Malak and Odo slink back into the shadows and Illhalevar tries to do so as well.

Leaving their sleeping comrade behind the three creatures move forward. Varkos attempts diplomacy and to hail them, but before he gets too far, four arrows fly past him.

The creatures are slow, and remind the ranger of straw dummy targets he’s practiced with in his youth. Both arrows thunk soundly into one of the creatures. Al’Zur too shakes his head at the slow approach of the creatures. Though he feels the second arrow fly awkwardly from his bow, the lead creature becomes somewhat of a pincushion, except that his lead arrow passes all the way through, shooting leafy material out of the creatures back.

Both creatures look hurt, but keep coming with their third! Though Varkos’ greeting didn’t have much of a chance to work, the arrows (though they hurt the creatures) seemed neither to have angered them or slowed them – though their shambling movement is slow enough!

Round 1

The creatures lose initiative. One has two arrows in it, another one arrow, and a decent sized hole in which you can see all the way through. Though it looked initially like they had big wooden claws, as they close you see their hands are big, and they are wooden, but they look like they have strange notches in the sides of the fingers. Either way they look like they could hurt you.

Everyone has the ability to prepare for the approach of the creatures, as mentioned previously for my specialized fighters and ranger: this will be round one, so SoT, Korgul and Varkos can have two attacks with their specialized weapon. Korgul, SoT and Varkos will get one attack at the beginning of the round (before everyone attacks) and one at the end (after both sides have gone).

Everyone else takes actions after their first attack, but should make your action posts and rolls now. Then the creatures will do what they are going to do.

Consumables: Hooded lamp (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 57 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 0 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Everyone else takes actions after their first attack, but should make your action posts and rolls now. Then the creatures will do what they are going to do.
Malak is going to remain (hopefully) concealed. He wants to study the behavior and tendencies of these foreign creatures to best prepare for his planned rear attack.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Argennian »

After seeing the initial situation unfold, Zafalia moves up quickly to attack from the second rank with her spear. "Mind their claws!"

To Hit, spear in melee [1d20] = 16

Spear damage vs sm/med creatures [1d6] = 6
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”