Character Creation Thread

Zhym
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation Thread

#61 Post by Urson »

Zhym wrote:Nope. I'm a little worried that some of the levels at 2,500,000 xp won't be high enough.

From what I've been reading in the module, A Paladin in Hell makes the Tomb of Horrors look like It's a Small World.
Funny thing about a challenge....

BTW: I'm starting the process for Tanner, a human fighter.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#62 Post by Scott308 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Didn't want to play a druid. Seriously what good would a Druid be in Hell?
Inhabiting the body of Shinyah would not have made your character a druid anymore than it made Odilo have whatever abilities the half-elf had previously. The body doesn't know how to cast the spells, it is Odilo's mind which is responsible for that. Odds are that the half-elf was not a mage. Nevermind. My comment clearly wasn't taken the way I had intended.

As for what good a druid would be for this particular module? Who knows? I wouldn't think to play one in this campaign, but I'm sure somebody else could do some interesting and creative things with a druid.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#63 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Didn't want to play a druid. Seriously what good would a Druid be in Hell?
Inhabiting the body of Shinyah would not have made your character a druid anymore than it made Odilo have whatever abilities the half-elf had previously. The body doesn't know how to cast the spells, it is Odilo's mind which is responsible for that. Odds are that the half-elf was not a mage. Nevermind. My comment clearly wasn't taken the way I had intended.

As for what good a druid would be for this particular module? Who knows? I wouldn't think to play one in this campaign, but I'm sure somebody else could do some interesting and creative things with a druid.
Sorry Scott, but also I didn't have the choice of who to inhabit. That was the roll of the dice. Odilo was a mage/MU prior and he was human in his original life. Sorry for the misunderstanding you.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by ravenn4544 »

I'm thinking of some combination of picking & assignment. Xale and Malibran can start with the loot from the Tomb (listed here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5362&start=80#p244066).
For my fellow ToH survivors (and others!)... how would you like to break up the loot? Several of the items remaining could come in handy for our party (staff of power for the MU, ring of wishes, vorpal sword for a fighter, potions of healing for everyone :), etc.... we could sell off what we don't want and convert that to cash, add to the pool, and help equip the party. If we are entering Hell, as would likely be the case, we'd also want to invest in some weapons with a higher to hit bonus to be able to actually cause damage to what we will encounter.....

Open to suggestions!

Scott308

#65 Post by Scott308 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Sorry Scott, but also I didn't have the choice of who to inhabit. That was the roll of the dice. Odilo was a mage/MU prior and he was human in his original life. Sorry for the misunderstanding you.
No problem. It was just a light-hearted throwback to a character from a campaign you and I both played in that Zhym ran (he really does like running adventures that are just brutal on characters, doesn't he?), thinking that Odilo had no body, and Shinyah was just an empty shell... but he'd still be stuck in Barovia so I guess it's good Odilo didn't end up there. :lol:
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by AleBelly »

Um, I guess we need a paladin, right? I can do it if nobody else is interested.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:Here was my first roll for Hallagad the Pure. I'll keep them but, as I understand, should rearrange and add four?

Stats: STR:17, INT:17, WIS:14, DEX:8, CON:10, CHR:13
Yes.

Also, a paladin isn't required (despite the module name) but will probably come in handy. :)

Scott308

#68 Post by Scott308 »

I'm working on a paladin.

GreyWolfVT

#69 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Sorry Scott, but also I didn't have the choice of who to inhabit. That was the roll of the dice. Odilo was a mage/MU prior and he was human in his original life. Sorry for the misunderstanding you.
No problem. It was just a light-hearted throwback to a character from a campaign you and I both played in that Zhym ran (he really does like running adventures that are just brutal on characters, doesn't he?), thinking that Odilo had no body, and Shinyah was just an empty shell... but he'd still be stuck in Barovia so I guess it's good Odilo didn't end up there. :lol:
Quite true good thing and how would the party from Ravenloft find the tomb of Acererak?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#70 Post by Scott308 »

Hmm. I see the Deck of Many Things is only 10,000 g.p. Decisions, decisions... :lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zhym »

That'd be a great way to kill the game before it ever got started. ;)

If only you could force your enemies to draw from the Deck.

Scott308

#72 Post by Scott308 »

The enemies would end up getting all the good cards. :(

Scott308

#73 Post by Scott308 »

We could all draw from the Deck before we start, and then the half of us that are no longer playable characters can come up with new PCs, and the other half would be in better shape. Brilliant! :twisted:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Zhym »

The Tomb of Horrors PCs can do that if they want. :D

GreyWolfVT

#75 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pass. ;)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by ravenn4544 »

I'll pass as well...... :)

On second thought, what if you used a deck of many things as a ranged weapon? If you threw it at a creature, wouldn't a certain amount of cards 'hit' or be considered 'drawn' by that creature? :)

GreyWolfVT

#77 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i selected magic items however one of which requires some rolls to see what else it contains Zhym you want me to do that or do you do it? I also wasn't sure the exact value in XP of one item I estimated on it.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by ravenn4544 »

Xale( Zhym) - to give you an idea of what starting money and eqiupment we would have, I put a proposal below. Let me know what you (or anyone else really) thinks and we can move along to purchasing additional items as applicable:
Total Money from coins/gems: 336,000

Items Suggested we keep:

1. ring of three wishes
2. ring of fire resistance
3. ring of protection +1 - could sell and buy better?
4. Scroll of 7 cleric spells - give to C/F
5. Scroll of 7 MU spells - give to MU
6. Scroll of 5 MU spells (lvl 1-6) - give to MU
7. scroll of 3 MU spells (lvl 1-4) - give to MU
8. potions of healing (6) - give to party
9. pot of polymorph - give to party
10. vorpal balde +3 - give to fighter
11. staff of power - give to MU
12. amulet of the planes - give to non-spell caster
13. cube of force - give to party

Items Suggested we sell:

1. Scroll - prot from lycanthropes - 5000gp
2. pot of treasure finding - 2000gp
3. pot of undead control - 2500gp
4. rod of rulership - 35000gp
5. deck of many things - 10000gp (SELL! SELL! SELL! :))

Total Money from Equipment Sold: 54,500

Total Money Combined: 390,500gp
Total Money Each: 195,250gp

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zhym »

GreyWolfVT: Your starting magic items come from the Tomb of Horrors loot. We'll take a look at what you have when that's split up and adjust accordingly.

Two paladins, huh? I'm not sure about that. AleBelly, you said you'd roll one up if no one else wanted to. Do you want to change classes? If not, I'll need to think about it. You'll at least need to be paladins of the same god.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by AleBelly »

I can make another character, but it may take me awhile. I likely won't have time to sit down and do it for another week...

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”