CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

#21 Post by Pulpatoon »

Symond Berry looks perplexed. "How do you know when you found a secret door? They... well, they don't look like regular doors, right?"

Foul Ol' Amphelice hoves in next to Sir Hanout Longpepper. "Psst. Yer Honor. Spare a coin or two for a poor woman about to die in a dark pit? Does the soul good, does charity."

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Griffith »

Pulpatoon wrote:Symond Berry looks perplexed. "How do you know when you found a secret door? They... well, they don't look like regular doors, right?"
"That is a good question." says Hanout. "I suppose we are looking for a switch or a lever, or a loose stone, or an irregularity in the pattern of stonework, something like that."
Pulpatoon wrote:Foul Ol' Amphelice hoves in next to Sir Hanout Longpepper. "Psst. Yer Honor. Spare a coin or two for a poor woman about to die in a dark pit? Does the soul good, does charity."
Hanout turns to Amphelice. "To be honest, ma'am, I am not as well-off as I used to be. I am on the outs with my father and he holds the proverbial purse strings as it were. That's one of the reasons I am here; to win back the good graces of my father. Still, I am not so low that I can't afford to help the destitute." Hanout reaches into a small pouch tucked into his belt and brings forth 2 copper pieces."Here you are my good woman. Spend it wisely." He goes back to looking for secret doors.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by coil23 »

Wondering if perhaps the lever may be further back, Toldren goes back to the entrance and then moves forward, checking floor and walls for any possible mechanism for resetting the stone.

The elf thinks the others may just be thinking too hard on this. Quill steps up to the stone blocking the passage and in a clear tone commands, Open! I have my multipass!

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Norjax »

Beefheart exhausts himself trying to find a secret block that could be a switch to move the wall. He finds nothing of note, and he observes that the block joints are extremely tight. There is noticeable scraping in the horizontal direction, indicating that this block has moved several times.

Miss Cleo uses her best insight and determines that a Halfling should be able to fit through the gap between the top of the block and the apex of the arched ceiling. Irakas gets creeped out when he notices the Fortune-teller sizing him up.

Toldren searches the entire hall, behind the group, for secret doors, triggers and blocks. He doesn't find anything besides the perfectly-fit polygonal blocks and solid stone floor.

Quill tries a word of command on the stone block, but it remains motionless and/or unimpressed by the vocal suggestion.

Timmy searches for a secret door on the east wall nearest to the 6” gap between the block and the wall. He notices an imperfect seam between two blocks and follows the zig-zag pattern down just above to the floor. He calls Sir Hanout and Myles to assist. Collectively, they discover a small gap between the blocks marking a square perimeter approximately 10 ft. by 10 ft. that ends just above the floor and just below the start of the ceiling.

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Miss Cleo looks down at the diminished halfling. "Whats a matter, Irakas? Ya dont wanna be da ero? What if we grab ya by da ankles and you haff a little look ova da top?"

Timmy Little has absolutely no idea what the three of them have just found, but he thinks it must be important. He keeps his mouth shut until someone else explains what they've discovered, then pretends he knew what it was the whole time.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foul Ol' Amphelice cracks a yellow, crooked grin as she collects two coppers. "Oh, yer a gentle-man o' quality, and there's no doubt about, yer honor." She secrets the coins away somewhere in the depths of her rancid clothing.

Symond stands to one side, peering over the other's shoulders as they examine the stonework. "I suppose this might be one of those doors, huh? That, or another crushing block that hasn't sprung."

With this thought, he steps a little further out of the way.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Timmy nods his head in agreement and also takes one step away from the possible door or trap.

"Anyone know how we can open it......or trigger it?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by coil23 »

Quill stands well back at the thought of another stone blocking slamming forth.

The caravan guard ponders the discovery. Toldren offers, well, how did the barrel trigger the first stone block? Was it weight-sensitive? A trigger plate in the floor? He scans the floor in this new area to test this idea.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by kalstone »

Not relishing the idea of going over the stone blocking the hallway, Irakas takes a sudden interest in figuring out if the mechanism is a secret door and how it may open.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Griffith »

Sir Hanout Longpepper indicates the area they have found to Schlovell. "See here, Schlovell, what do you make of this?" Hanout backs away several feet. "Tap it with your hammer. See if it sounds hollow?"

Schlovell the blacksmith shrugs and approaches the area indicated by Hanout. He takes his smithing hammer hanging from his leather belt and taps upon the wall; several light taps, here and there. He will listen to see if it is hollow. If nothing happens he will try pushing against it.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Norjax »

Toldren searches the floor in front of the 10ft. x 10ft. seam in the wall. The solid stone floor offers no evidence of a trigger or spring plate.

Irakas examines the grooves in the wall, trying to find a mechanism of any sort.

Schlovell produced his smithing hammer and taps the wall in several places. He listens and thinks there is a hollow space behind the wall. He motions to Irakas to help and they both push, eventually rotating the wall to reveal a 5 ft. wide corridor that extends 17 ft. before turning 90-degrees to the north. The rotated wall extends 5 ft. into the entrance hallway, forcing some of the group to move out of its way.

Actions?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by kalstone »

Irakas peers down the dark corridor. If he sees nothing, he will motion for Myles to bring the lamp to illuminate it.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by Griffith »

Schlovell backs up a few steps and waits for the torchbearer to shed light on the hallway.

Sir Hanout Longpepper stands behind Schlovell and says, "If this is indeed a detour around the trapped hallway, it is likely not trapped. But let's be careful anyway."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by coil23 »

Toldren nods and prepares to proceed through their new route.. Quill meekly strays near the end of the line and will follow the more brave.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Timmy Little starts to hum a soft tune again as he lends aid in the searching for traps or hidden doors as they make their way down the newly discovered corridor.

Miss Cleo stares into the hallway thoughtfully.

"Yes......yes, dis must be da way round da bad hallway." Again, she lets the others clear the way for her before entering. She keeps a sharp eye behind the group periodically so as to not feel completely unnecessary.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Pulpatoon »

Symond and Amphelice fall in step with the others.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Norjax »

What's the marching order? Now would be a good time to establish the Standard Adventuring Procedures.

Discuss in OOC Chat, please.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Starbeard »

Kid Crimson cries, "Come on, let's see what's in there!" and takes a place at the front of the marching order.

Beefheart rubs his sore foot and looks a little dejected. He's still pretty sure that there's a secret switch somewhere to reset the trap. He takes up a position in the middle of the party.

(Sorry about missing the last turn. I could've sworn I typed my action, but I guess not.)

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Norjax »

Irakas leads the way into the 5 ft. wide corridor. He follows the turn to the north and stops at the edge of a hallway that runs east and west. The new hall connects to the first hallway that is blocked with the sliding stone wall. Searches along the 5 ft. wide passage do not detect any secret doors or openings.

Using his infravision, he sees a large room directly across from his position through a 5 ft. wide arched passage constructed by rectangular blocks and a central keystone. To his right, there is a curved alcove with a stone bowl approximately 3 ft. in diameter sitting on a 6” step above the floor. Another alcove is on the south wall, but he currently can’t determine how deep it is.

This hall is constructed of the same polygonal blocks, solid stone floor and carved arched ceiling. The area is clear of any debris or decorations.

Map:

Actions?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foul Ol' Amphelice crowds up close enough on Timmy Little that the hairs of her wen brush against the back of his neck. In the darkness of the secret passage, she hisses in his ear "A fine feller such as yerself, allus playing yer little guitar on th' corner. I hear you singing about tulips and suchnot, with a crowd filling your hat. You've got a few coppers to spare, don't you? For a poor ol' lady half scared to death by all these horrible goings-on? Sure you do."

Return to “Archive (The Temple of Chaos)”