OCC Thread

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

OCC Thread

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

The OCC thread. To post about...well, everything really. Except combat, use the OCC Combat Thread for that.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OCC Thread

#2 Post by Vargr1105 »

A suggestion for the players at the beginning of the adventure.

Rather than spend about a week of real-time posts with character introductions lets us just assume the party as exchange greetings pre-game as dawn turned to morning. If you wish to bring your PC's personality and background to the fore, I would suggest doing so as the adventure progresses and the group is engaged in getting out of the mountain. :)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by zebediah »

Suggestion to split the items below,

- A helmet - Ozborn, since he has no helmet ;)

- A leather backpack, on its interior is a 50-foot length of rope and some dried food which seems edible, perhaps enough to sustain a person for one week - Andrin, since you're the only one who does not already have a backpack (unless I read your sheet wrong). Rations shared between Ogirdor and Malone as they don't have any with them at the moment.

- A wine-skin, whole and full of what sadly proves to be spoiled wine - we all have waterskins so it doesn't make much of a difference. I only suggest keeping the wine in it, even if spoiled. Who knows what we may find, and we can always empty it later.

- A vial of holy water - this can be of use to Ogirdor

- A dagger with a blade made of a steel-silver alloy - Ozborn

- A long sword in a scabbard - Malone

- A small wooden shield - Andrin

- A ceramic bottle with an inscription in common reading "healing brew" - Andrin

- A quiver holding 11 arrows, six of these have silvered heads - 2 silver arrows to each bowman and the remaining to Ozborn who I believe is likelier to remain in the back as a bowman.

- A leathery bag containing 50 gold pieces! - 12 gp 5 sp to each

If you all agree I would also suggest appraising the value of all treasure once we're back to civilized land, independently of who's carrying it now.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by Buzz »

Looks fine to me, however I do not have the quiver space for more arrows. Would anyone like a pair of sheaf arrows?

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by zebediah »

Maybe Ozborn can carry the extra quiver and we shift the arrows we have to accomodate. We might have to share arrows soon depending on how much we end up needing our bows - of course let's hope not :D

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by Buzz »

My arrows are the party's arrows. I don't expect to use mine all that much. Though I am just itching to start swinging my halberd around.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Vargr1105 »

zebediah wrote:- A leathery bag containing 50 gold pieces! - 12 gp 5 sp to each
You can't brake gp's into sp's. :) But I get what you are are saying.
Buzz wrote: Though I am just itching to start swinging my halberd around.
It is great that we have an halberdier in the party. I love polearms.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by zebediah »

Vargr1105 wrote:
zebediah wrote:- A leathery bag containing 50 gold pieces! - 12 gp 5 sp to each
You can't brake gp's into sp's. :) But I get what you are are saying.
Yeah, I reckoned that we all have some silver & copper so it would be more practical to break it down in that manner.

btw, I'm not posting on the action thread without giving everyone a chance to respond but if we have no objection to the line of action suggested thus far Ogirdor will start preparing, peek down the ledge for any dangers on the way (& below) and if there are no additional issues will climb down carefully.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Vargr1105 »

Dealt with. Apparently Orgidor survived the descent. ;)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Distorted Humor »

I am sick as a dog, sorry if it appears I might have to miss this game. :|

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Vargr1105 »

Hope you get better soon Distorted Humor.

If when you are feeling hale you still want to join, don't be a stranger. We will "poof!" your PC into the party even if they are halfway down the mountain. ;)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by zebediah »

Vargr1105 wrote:We will "poof!" your PC into the party even if they are halfway down the mountain. ;)
Say, if we - totally in-character - slay the human-like creature that formed out of thin air will we get the equivalent xp? Even more important, will his subsequent characters pop up in the same way?

Maybe we should spend a few hours close to the bird's nest before DH makes up his mind on whether to participate or not, at least until we reach lv 3 or so...

:lol:

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Ra the monk »

Sorry for being late! I like everything that has been said. Oz has no real need for the dagger but will take it if offered. I thought everyone had a shield so I asked for it, just because. I will probably never use it so someone else can grab that up. I think my time zone is a might different from yours. I will do my best to keep up.

Varg so far I am loving the descriptions! Also anybody think its weird that we found a map at the begining of our journey that sounds like the end of someone elses?

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ra the monk wrote:I think my time zone is a might different from yours. I will do my best to keep up.
I believe we are all in different time zones across two continents. Do not fret about it.
Ra the monk wrote:Varg so far I am loving the descriptions!

Well thanks. :)

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin doesn't want the wooden shield. He fights with a staff and likes to have at least one hand free, besides. If anyone wants it, go ahead.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by zebediah »

Ra the monk wrote:Oz has no real need for the dagger but will take it if offered. I thought everyone had a shield so I asked for it, just because. I will probably never use it so someone else can grab that up.
The amount of silver weaponry we found might be an indication of lycanthropes in the area. If you don't intend to use it it might be better leaving it with Malone as he's likely to be our main frontline fighter.

Ogirdor has no shield but if no one else wants it he can make use of it.
Ra the monk wrote:Varg so far I am loving the descriptions! Also anybody think its weird that we found a map at the begining of our journey that sounds like the end of someone elses?
+1 for the descriptions, great stuff indeed!

That might mean that the way down will be somewhat cleared for us... To me it looks like the guy's been tricked into coming to this place or this area.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ra the monk wrote:Also I am glad for the DM fiat, I rolled a 59 for my climbing check before I checked the board...
You are not supposed to roll any derived percentage rolls, those are for GM use only. In fact, you don't even want them to be used because it means there is a possibility of failure for something. ;)

Note: when you folks post on the Action Thread, first write character actions and dialogue and write any OCC stuff at the end.

occ: like this

Don't intermingle it with in-character writtings. And yup, I know some of you are doing it this way already.

I am surprised no one thought of ways to improve climbing chances, You could have maybe avoided a couple of attempts at terminal fall velocity. :D

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by zebediah »

Vargr1105 wrote:I am surprised no one thought of ways to improve climbing chances, You could have maybe avoided a couple of attempts at terminal fall velocity. :D
I actually thought of using some knots to make the descent safer but that did not occur to me while I was writing the previous actions. Anyway, the snow worked perfectly. ;)

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by zebediah »

Thanks for clarifying Vargr!

So I'm wondering if it's not better that only one of us - Ogirdor - takes the lead ahead while the others follow from a distance. This way we can try to tie two ropes together for greather lenght and secure it to Ogirdor - unless Vargr tells us that this would spoil the ranger surprise abilities.

What do you guys say?

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Vargr1105 »

Ah...the joys of OSRIC. Learning about the game as one goes along. :)

OSRIC v2.2, Pg. 21: "Alert against Surprise: Rangers are less likely to be surprised (only on a 1 on 1d6), and more likely to surprise others (1-3 on 1d6) than other character classes."

The rules don't mention anything about distance from the party and being alone, but I will treat it as indicated for Halflings and Elves. Ranger resistance to surprise is "always on" on normal circumstances, but Ranger causing improved surprise only works when he is alone, 90ft distant from the party an/or in the company other Rangers...or maybe demihumans with an equivalent racial ability.

Being tied to a 90+ft coil of rope isn't very conductive to stealth, so I say niet. Zebediah's plan would negate Ogirdor's surprise ability.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”