Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

#121 Post by Starbeard »

I think so. I've really only played a couple, both of which were silly but lots of fun, with enough replay value to go through them several times each (not least because I died frequently). They play best if you try not to map it out like a Zork game, or at least by throwing the map away each time you die/finish, then doing something else until you forget some of the details.

If you've ever played a Fighting Fantasy book, they run very much in the same vein, just with T&T rules. You bring your own character to the adventure, but the introduction describes restrictions and special rules that apply for the scenario. Then you go to the starting text box, it gives you a number of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure choices which go to different text boxes, or they might ask you to roll something like a Saving Throw, with the result determining which text box you go to next.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#122 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Good evening, All. It is with regret that I must share with you that I'll be stepping away from the game for the next few months. Life, both at work and home, has gotten unexpectedly complex and I'm finding myself without the necessary spoons to devote to much else. Perhaps after events calm down I can return. In the meantime, if the plan is to return to the surface and get healed up, Digsby can stay onboard the Doubledeal and workout the details for the granola franchise with the Rat-on-a-Stick proprietors: Jocular Joey, Wizardly Walt & Fancy Francine - 10% finders fee on every order to be paid to Digsby, et. al., as long as Captain Sprunkle countersigns the contract. Other than that, feel free to puppeteer Digsby, as needed.

My thanks, Starbeard, for an enjoyable dungeon foray.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Total bummer, but RL takes precedence, of course. I hope to see you on the other side! Good luck!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry to hear that Clockwork. Thanks for playing, go take care of real life, and there's always a seat for you here if you find the time. Good luck!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Starbeard »

So we've finally made our way back out of the dungeon, and everyone has risen to 2nd level (don't forget to choose which stats to boost!).

We're also down to two players. We have a couple of options from here:

1) we can shelve the game and call this a successfully completed intro expedition to T&T. It was really supposed to be just an intro game, anyway.
2) we can continue playing as long as we're not bored, and I'll bump the recruitment threads one more time here, on the ODD74 board and Vin's Trollbridge board.

Part of me would like to shelve it, since I'm already running 4 other games right now and I can foresee that I'll have to cut back in a bit in the near future (my wife and I will be receiving a new little troll into the house in January). I'm also half-sorta-maybe considering Marullus' proposal to have co-DMs take on small areas of his B/X sandbox campaign on this forum to lighten his own load, and if I take something like that up in any capacity I'll definitely have to wrap up most of my other games.

However, historically this game has been a real slow mover anyway, so if you both are really keen to keep playing T&T then I'd be happy to keep squeezing the time in, since I've been having fun with it.

Thoughts?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

:lol: I just realized this past was here after posting on the game thread. Clearly, I was ready to continue with the game, but had similar questions regarding how to proceed with only two players.

But I also am fine shelving it, since I am also thinking of trying a bit of GM'ing in Marullus's sandbox. So I need to cut way back on playing too.

Thanks for the great intro, Starbeard, et al. I don't know that I ever fully got it, but it was fun. I think it was a bit more role playing because I wasn't sure how the dice worked, and I was trying to push for rolls.

See everyone in other games!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry if it never fully grocked, that's probably my fault. From what I've discussed with more veteran T&Ters, the beauty of the system is that you dispense with the rules most of the time and role play your way through. For example, the combats are always the same: both sides add up all their dice and whoever rolls lower takes the difference in damage, spread evenly across the party. So it's up to the GM to converse with the players about what they're doing, and decide whether to interpret the role played actions as a bonus, splitting the combat into separate duels, giving more or fewer dice to roll, etc. Basically, the intent is to make it up as you go along.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Well.... Maybe I grasped it better than I thought, then. :)

Even though I don't have it down pat, it was nice to try. And next time a game comes up, the learning curve won't be as steep.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”