Character Creation

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Character Creation

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

Note: The number of demihumans and multi-classed PCs in the party cannot be more than the number of humans and single-classed characters, respectively. So it will be a question of first-come, first-served.

The available races and classes are as follows:

Races
Human, baklunish
Human, flan
Human, oeridian
Human, suel
Human, mixed
Dwarf, hill
Dwarf, mountain
Elf, high
Elf, gray
Elf, sylvan or wood
Elf, wild or grugach
Gnome
Half-Elf (high, gray or sylvan)
Halfling, hairfoot
Halfling, stout
Halfling, tallfellow
Halfling, mixed blood
Half-Orc

Classes
Acrobat
Assassin
Barbarian
Bard (can cast MU spells)
Bard (can cast Illusion spells)
Brawler
Cavalier
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Illusionist
Magic user
Monk
Noble
Paladin
Priest
Ranger
Skald (bard with druid spells)
Swashbuckler
Templar
Thief
Troubadour (bard w/ no magic)

Ability Generation

Before rolling abilities scores decide what race/class combination you want to play. Both humans and demihumans can multi-class. Send the GM a PM or post here indicating your choice and you will be told which ability score generation method you will use.

Players selecting a single-classed human character are guaranteed to qualify for that class. Players that choose demihuman PCs are guaranteed to qualify for that race.

There are no assurances a human character will qualify for a specific multiclass combo or that a demihuman will qualify for any single class or combination of classes.

If you are familiar with the Greyhawk setting you can select where your PCs hails from. If not, or if you are undecided you can roll 1d100 and the GM will tell you your land of origin. Some race/class combinations can limit the number of available homeland options (Suel barbarians all come from the Thillontian Peninsula, for example).

The available class choices for demihumans have been expanded, as have their multi-class combinations. Some core classes have been slightly altered, the new ones come from OSRIC Unearthed (again, some have alterations) and the Priest and Templar are of my own creation.

Rather than post a huge block of information about the differences I will answer players' questions here or via PM. get them creative juices flowin' :).

Edit: players should also roll an extra 1d100 to determine Social Class. The social class has no effect on starting money or equipment, its just there for extra background.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by Buzz »

I've never had the chance to play a plain-old fighter before, so I think I'll go with that. Might as well make him human as well. I know little of Greyhawk so I have to put my origin to the dice, once I have a name figured out. So Vargr, how do I roll this person up?

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by zebediah »

Since we already have a single-classed human I will go for a Cleric/Ranger. Human if you allow that multi-class option for humans, otherwise half-elf.

I am not really familiar with Greyhawk so I'll have to do some reading to come up with a proper background.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Vargr1105 »

Buzz wrote:I've never had the chance to play a plain-old fighter before, so I think I'll go with that. Might as well make him human as well. I know little of Greyhawk so I have to put my origin to the dice, once I have a name figured out. So Vargr, how do I roll this person up?
Ok Buzz. You roll 1d100 for your homeland and I'll let you know where your fighter was born. This will tell which human racial group he belong to and might affect the starting languages.

For Ability Scores roll the following number of dice each and pick the best 3 dice each stat.

Strength 9
Dexterity 7
Constitution 8
Intelligence 4
Wisdom 5
Charisma 6
Comeliness 3

You can replace any one ability dice pool with the one for Comeliness, if you want to roll a prettyboy . :)

zebediah wrote:Since we already have a single-classed human I will go for a Cleric/Ranger. Human if you allow that multi-class option for humans, otherwise half-elf.

I am not really familiar with Greyhawk so I'll have to do some reading to come up with a proper background.
Zebediah. Yes Humans have all the demihuman multi-class options available (and a few more). However, Clerics are a slightly different class in my setting. They are members of special orders of warrior-priests found only in certain Lawful religions and cannot multi-class. The average wandering/adventuring divine spellcaster is not a Cleric but a Priests (or Ley-Priest if we want to be precise). They have normal the supernatural abilities of a Cleric but work more like Wizards in terms of weapons & armor. So you can be a Priest/Ranger if you wish, I will check the Gods' list and see which one will be appropriate. Like Buzz you can also go for the 1d100 option for homeland/culture or like you said, do some reading.

Your minimum required scores for Priest/Ranger are:

Str 13
Dex 6
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 6
Com n/a

To generate stats you can choose between these methods:

A - Roll 4d6 drop lowest die 7 times and distribute at will

B - Roll 3d6 6 times for every stat, keep best result

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by Buzz »

Origin: 51

Str: 18.81
Dex: 16
Con: 17
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 14
Com: 18 (I swapped comliness with wisdom)

Am I screwing up the dice syntax? These results seem a bit high...
Cha: [6d6c3] = 14

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Vargr1105 »

Buzz wrote:Origin: 51

Str: 18.81
Dex: 16
Con: 17
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 14
Com: 18 (I swapped comliness with wisdom)

Am I screwing up the dice syntax? These results seem a bit high...
Cha: [6d6c3] = 14
No, I checked your rolls and you used the syntax correctly. A "roll 5 keep 3" can be expressed [5d6k3] or [5d6c2]. So you're kosher.

Your fighter comes from the Free State on Onnwal, a Oeridian nation member of the Iron league that rose up and gained independence from the Great Kingdom about a century ago. Onnwal is a small peninsula with considerable naval power and a heavily fortified capital, subject to periodical sea-raids from corsairs supported by enemy polities who want to bring it back to the fold.

Onnwal is number 7 on the map below. Greyhawk is number 23. (zebediah, the Duchy of Urnst is number 22).

If your fighter is of pure Oeridian stock he gets +1 Dex / -1 Wis and gets to roll 1d6 to determine a weapon or armor of superior quality (the Oeridians are renowned for their armory skills). If he is of mixed race/blended humanity he gets no modifiers. Either case, there are no differences for languages known.

And I forgot to ask, roll 1d100 to determine his social class.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Vargr1105 »

Things are looking good, we have 5 players so far so once characters are generated we can start immediately. :mrgreen:

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Vargr1105 »

For those of you that have finished and equipped your characters, I need to know what their movement rates and total carried weight is.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by zebediah »

Tough question... encumbrance 88,5 and chain armor, so 9" movement.

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by Ra the monk »

Hello all,

Here are my stats for my character Ozborn Greynight. I look forward to playing with you all.

My origin roll
Output: [1d100] = 42

Here are my stats
Stats: CHR:14, DEX:18, CON:9, WIS:9, INT:15, STR:15

I am not really sure how to link rolls that I have made or how to save them, but this is what I got.

Which starting gold thing should I roll, and how is health handled with multi-class characters?

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by Sir Clarence »

Hi all, here's another player joining in. My character will be Andrin, a half-elven druid from Geoff in the far west. Looking forward to game with you, guys. :)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Vargr1105 »

Looks like we are set up to have a party riddled with warriors and servants of the gods.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by zebediah »

Welcome gentlemen!

Cool that you decided to give it a shot Sir Clarence.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

Except for one player which I haven't heard of for days, the characters are pretty much done.

I am thinking of starting the Action Thread tomorrow if that is alright with you folks.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by zebediah »

Fine by me.

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by Buzz »

No problem by me.

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Ra the monk »

Ready

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by Sir Clarence »

Check.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Vargr1105 »

Action Thread #1 is now officially open.

Head ye over to viewtopic.php?f=45&t=651 brave adventurers, and may the Deities of Oerth smile kindly upon your fates.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Stonjuz »

I made it to the game !!! Hello everyone and thanks to Vargr for adding me.
I have almost finished character creation and am about to post a preliminary preview of my sheet.
Since Vargr is away for the next few days, perhaps some of you could help me fill in any obvious holes. Any more intricate changes will need Vargr's stamp but here goes......(moving to character sheet forum)

I was never a big fan of the 'poof factor' ("Oh, he was with you the whole time") so vargr and I have been working on a nice intro. Looking forward to hearing from any and all of you.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”